• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Source: http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/28596

Copied and pasted from FE reddit:

Cindered Shadows is fairly difficult.
The developers guess it'll take about 8-10 hours to clear on Normal; since it's trickier than the main game, you can't blast through it as easily.
You'll unlock more and more stuff in the main game as you proceed through CS.

Free updates planned:

A free update will let you have tea time with Rhea.
Byleth will be able to wear dancer clothes, but not become a dancer themselves.
You'll be able to change costumes from the free day menu, as well as change everyone's costumes at once.

Other tidbits:

Reiterating that no golden route is planned, and they were actively against it since it would become the "right path" in fan's minds. (Well, one of the interviewees liked the idea, but it really was never planned. Too much like Fates!)
Maddening was really hard for them to balance, so they were happy with the release timing of it - letting people dig in once they'd familiarized themselves with the game.
They expect Intelligent Systems to put out a full OST at some point.

I'm actually looking forward to it.

Nov 4, 2017
AU$45 for 8-10 hours of DLC is not exactly great value... But the base game offers like 200hours for AU$80... So it kind of balances out. Hmmmm.

Nov 4, 2017
Damn, it costs that much for you guys?
AU$45 is about US$30, which is the US price yeah? The base game can be found as low as AU$69 retail, which is about US$46. Including tax. It's not all bad down here, plus our beaches are awesome :D

As a new comer to the series, I'm not quite sure what a "golden path" is... In assuming it's like a Canon play order like in RE?

OP
OP

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
AU$45 is about US$30, which is the US price yeah? The base game can be found as low as AU$69 retail, which is about US$46. Including tax. It's not all bad down here, plus our beaches are awesome :D

As a new comer to the series, I'm not quite sure what a "golden path" is... In assuming it's like a Canon play order like in RE?
Golden path is essentially the true cannon path, no one dies, everyone is United like FE Fates Revelation which was considered to be one of the worst paths.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Eh, I was hoping for 20 hours. As far as I'm concerned doesn't seem all that convenient for 25€, I'll pass.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia

The US price should be $25.

Nov 4, 2017
The US price should be $25.
Hmm, so with exchange + tax it's not so different. I'll definitely bite at some point, as the base game is so damn good. I still have half my Blue Lion playthrough and the Black Eagle paths to do first.
It's right in the name!
giphy.gif

I do kind of regret playing Golden Deer first... Dimitri is a tough hang after spending 60 hours with the loveable Hufflepuffs of Fodlan.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
AU$45 for 8-10 hours of DLC is not exactly great value... But the base game offers like 200hours for AU$80... So it kind of balances out. Hmmmm.
Well, so far FE DLC has been quite expensive and not that great IMO. Echoes DLC was really bad: a few really short prequel maps, some blocked classes (the last tier was entirely blocked behind DLC), and some extra characters. Awakening and Fates had exp/money farming maps, some good story maps and lots of fanservice content, which wasn't that great either. This one seems to be the best one so far, and besided the story content it seems we will get more things to do in the monastery.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So how is it then? Is it a separate thing from the main game? I finished the best route (Obviously Edelgard) but then I just started a new playthrough, do I have to select a savefile?

Nov 4, 2017
You also get the other dlc which I suppose aren't that great.
Yeah, just had a quick look... Costumes, an extra character, a sauna, a few Auxiliary battles and missions.
Well, so far FE DLC has been quite expensive and not that great IMO. Echoes DLC was really bad: a few really short prequel maps, some blocked classes (the last tier was entirely blocked behind DLC), and some extra characters. Awakening and Fates had exp/money farming maps, some good story maps and lots of fanservice content, which wasn't that great either. This one seems to be the best one so far, and besided the story content it seems we will get more things to do in the monastery.
Fire Emblem DLC is always terrible value.
As a newcomer to the series, I had no idea. I feel like Nintendo is a pretty mixed bag in general when it comes to DLC, and this just furthers that notion. Overall this DLC looks great, I'm just a little surprised at the price.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
We all know the Golden Path is the Claude path anyway

I'm a blue lions fan but honestly Golden Deer is the most satisfying path.. it's long, connected fully to the main plot, almost explains everything and is kinda repeated/rehashed in Black Eagles anyway(but it's worse there). I recommend people to playing it last for that reason. The other paths just focus on pretty personal quarrels and forgets the bigger over-aching plot points of the game.

I was hoping they would confirm a canon path, being similar to an idea they did with Fates should not matter imo. I know they said it was never planned but they say that probably to not anger fans of other routes that they worked hard for(possibly).

Being 10 hours makes me worry that there isn't a time skip for this DLC path.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
So how is it then? Is it a separate thing from the main game? I finished the best route (Obviously Edelgard) but then I just started a new playthrough, do I have to select a savefile?
It's a separate thing from the main game, yeah. You access it from the main menu, no need to make a new save file.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do kind of regret playing Golden Deer first... Dimitri is a tough hang after spending 60 hours with the loveable Hufflepuffs of Fodlan.

Yeah, currently doing the Blue Lion run and Dimitri is getting on my nerves after expending 40 pleasant hours with Claude Mandela, it's amazing how inspirational everyone from Golden Deer is.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
The campaign is not a path per se, it's its own thing with no certification exams, no monastery activities, no teaching, etc. Given all three lords are part of your party there's no way this'll touch the timeskip. However after you complete the campaign you can recruit the four students and unlock new monastery activities for the main game, so the four students will definitely have post timeskip looks.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah, just had a quick look... Costumes, an extra character, a sauna, a few Auxiliary battles and missions.

As a newcomer to the series, I had no idea. I feel like Nintendo is a pretty mixed bag in general when it comes to DLC, and this just furthers that notion. Overall this DLC looks great, I'm just a little surprised at the price.
I think that Nintendo does DLC well enough, MK8 DLC was amazing, as well as Xc2 (which was developed by Monolith, so it's not exactly the same), and BotW's was decent enough. IMO MK8, Xc2, Witcher 3 and GTA IV are some of the best examples of DLC value ever.

Fire Emblem is the exception, they started really soon (7 years ago, it was some of the first Nintendo-published games to feature DLC) and has been always quite bad. I hope the 3H Season Pass changes this, but so far it has been really meh.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I'm a blue lions fan but honestly Golden Deer is the most satisfying path.. it's long, connected fully to the main plot, almost explains everything and is kinda repeated/rehashed in Black Eagles anyway(but it's worse there). I recommend people to playing it last for that reason. The other paths just focus on pretty personal quarrels and forgets the bigger over-aching plot points of the game.

I was hoping they would confirm a canon path, being similar to an idea they did with Fates should not matter imo. I know they said it was never planned but they say that probably to not anger fans of other routes that they worked hard for(possibly).

To be honest the Blue Lions is my favorite path. Its very character driven and its the one where the most characters can potentially be saved. However, as you said, Golden Deer has a better complete plot of the overall story.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
The campaign is not a path per se, it's its own thing with no certification exams, no monastery activities, no teaching, etc. Given all three lords are part of your party there's no way this'll touch the timeskip. However after you complete the campaign you can recruit the four students and unlock new monastery activities for the main game, so the four students will definitely have post timeskip looks.

they could be like the teachers no?

FGPack

Jan 19, 2020
Italy
Not enough for me to buy SP for 25€, i'm sorry. I'll stick to my Limited Edition and Black Eagles and Golden Deer played for 100+ hours total. It was an awesome journey anyway

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Maybe I'll pick up all the DLC on sale in a pack and do a second playthrough. I had a hard time with starting a second one in the base game. Hard difficulty is too easy, and that other difficulty's XP reduction turned me off since it really slow down building my characters (which is what I like about the game).

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
To be honest the Blue Lions is my favorite path. Its very character driven and its the one where the most characters can potentially be saved. However, as you said, Golden Deer has a better complete plot of the overall story.

yup, i agree. Blue lion was very satisfying and loved Golden Deer just as much because of how complete the story felt (also loved Golden Deer students/leader). I am so sad with how sparse Edelgard's route feels. I hope all of the updates have added something to hers.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
yup, i agree. Blue lion was very satisfying and loved Golden Deer just as much because of how complete the story felt (also loved Golden Deer students/leader). I am so sad with how sparse Edelgard's route feels. I hope all of the updates have added something to hers.
Edelgard's route is kinda garbage. You get very little explanation about what's going on, it ends abruptly and all you get is a shitty
Hubert killed off those who slither in the dark
notification. I was kinda dumbfounded when I finished Crimson Flower.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Edelgard's route is kinda garbage. You get very little explanation about what's going on, it ends abruptly and all you get is a shitty
Hubert killed off those who slither in the dark
notification. I was kinda dumbfounded when I finished Crimson Flower.

I didn't really like it either. It felt like it basically just went, "yep, Edelgard did those things she said she was going to do." There weren't really any interesting plot or character developments. Choosing to marry her doesn't add much, either.

Blue Lions had the most interesting character arc, it seems to me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
A golden path would make absolutely no sense story wise anyway.
Edelgard and the Church of Seiros might join forces against a larger invading force (though what is even more likely is that Edelgard would ally with the invading force vs. ever joining with Rhea), but would immediately go back to war again as their core values are simply diametric. I don't see Claude going along with any of Edelgards plans either and Dimitri? Forget about it.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
Does the DLC path have difficulty selection? If so I hope I'm able to unlock the piss-coloured title screen by playing it on Lunatic.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So how does this dlc work? I just started a 2nd playthough with blue lions and am around chapter 4. I'm more interested in the new classes then the characters for this run. I ate most of the GD students on my BE path so I figured the new characters would give me more options on their path.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
A golden path would make absolutely no sense story wise anyway.
Edelgard and the Church of Seiros might join forces against a larger invading force (though what is even more likely is that Edelgard would ally with the invading force vs. ever joining with Rhea), but would immediately go back to war again as their core values are simply diametric. I don't see Claude going along with any of Edelgards plans either and Dimitri? Forget about it.
I mean

Their core values aren't actually very opposed at all. Edelgard is literally just impatient Rhea. Every problem that Edelgard has with Rhea or the church, aside from Rhea not being human, wasn't actually caused by Rhea or the Church. The primary difference between them is that Rhea did everything in her power to maintain a steady peace, including things she was personally against. The 10 Elites literally aided in the genocide of her people and she lionized them in the religion she created. Moreover that religion is expressly against the system of nobility that humans set up following the war with Nemesis. The whole Crest thing would work itself out regardless because they were dwindling with each generation. And that power was stolen to begin with. Whereas Edelgard thought the bloodshed her war would cause was worth the expedited results. If they would just sit down and talk, honestly, they could see this. But they won't, because that's not who either of them is.

Oct 25, 2017
these side campaigns were generally pretty lame to playthrough as DLCs in the other FEs that have had them. Too limited and nothing really to carry over. It also doesn't help fix really any problems with the main game I have (and exacerbates some like the gender locked classes). Easy skip

OP
OP

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
So how does this dlc work? I just started a 2nd playthough with blue lions and am around chapter 4. I'm more interested in the new classes then the characters for this run. I ate most of the GD students on my BE path so I figured the new characters would give me more options on their path.
Is the DLC it's own path, or is it available along the main questlines?

The DLC is accessed from the main menu, it is it's own thing. As you play through it and complete it, you get benefits and characters to your main save file.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I mean

Their core values aren't actually very opposed at all. Edelgard is literally just impatient Rhea. Every problem that Edelgard has with Rhea or the church, aside from Rhea not being human, wasn't actually caused by Rhea or the Church. The primary difference between them is that Rhea did everything in her power to maintain a steady peace, including things she was personally against. The 10 Elites literally aided in the genocide of her people and she lionized them in the religion she created. Moreover that religion is expressly against the system of nobility that humans set up following the war with Nemesis. The whole Crest thing would work itself out regardless because they were dwindling with each generation. And that power was stolen to begin with. Whereas Edelgard thought the bloodshed her war would cause was worth the expedited results. If they would just sit down and talk, honestly, they could see this. But they won't, because that's not who either of them is.

Fair enough,

However, I also took it as Edelgard being offended by the mere thought that a dragon or "The immaculate one" was the one leading humanity rather than a human. Hubert especially wants jack and shit to do with divine beings and besides Byleth in the Crimson Flower route he's the one who has her ear. That's what I meant by "opposing core values". I don't see Edelgard being happy with any result that doesn't mean the end of Rhea's leadership and by extension the Church's because of her belief that humanity should be steered by humans themselves.