• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
About the Dark Knight, I never used Lysithea.

My Byleth was a level or two higher then the rest and using gloves you can actually hit him twice, if you heal him on your own turns fully you should have no trouble. I found it rather odd, as gloves wasn't even his primary or secondary proficiency. Talking Lunatic difficulty here.

This DLC looks maddening, I'm up for a second run when I finish the first. This game is far too big for its own good.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
There are always ways to read such things in a negative way. "Maddening" as in "it'll make you mad" can also easily be read as referring to madness as a mental disorder.

I don't really care what's it's called, but keeping a consistent naming convention helps players know what they're getting into.

Also we'll need to have more reports of later game Maddening difficulty, but I wish Normal was called Easy, Hard was called Normal, and we would have had a proper "Hard" difficulty between "Normal" and "Utter Suffering".

I'm happy for those who like those brutally hard modes, but Hard isn't even remotely Hard, so you basically have the choice between "Normal" difficulty and "Super Hard" difficulty, with nothing in-between.
Are we sure that the Maddening really is that hard? I've only played the tutorial mission so far, but that didn't seem excessive. The enemies were dead in 2 hits and if you used the terrain you could easily deal with 3 attackers on 1 character.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Early game Maddening is very challenging. I completed chapter 2 last night and the lack of experience has you putting your level 1-2 characters (Byleth and Claude might be higher by a level or two) against level 9 characters that actually have good abilities. Thieves have pass, archers have +1 range (meaning they can counter curved shot which is really bad) and poison touch. Being higher leveled means that they will almost always double your characters and many can just 1 shot mages/archers and everyone else just barely survives. Oh the boss also moves now when you get within range. My strongest character was Byleth at level 5 at the very end of this map (going very, very slowly) and the boss doubled him and brought him down to 1 HP, he would've easily killed anyone else and I had to use Byleth to draw him out.

Also had to use all 3 Divine Pulses at this point. I think you normally start with 4 on hard and jesus do they feel needed here.

The level disparity also means you are doing really low damage so you need to use special attacks which means you also end up running out of durability a lot faster. I had 3 or 4 broken weapons at the end of the battle.

Is this a NG+ run?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Are we sure that the Maddening really is that hard? I've only played the tutorial mission so far, but that didn't seem excessive. The enemies were dead in 2 hits and if you used the terrain you could easily deal with 3 attackers on 1 character.
No we're not, which is why I'm asking for reports of later game Maddening difficulty where you can have a bit of grind to keep your units up to speed.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

There's a pretty big jump between the tutorial mission and the first mock battle. If you're playing BL for example, Dorothea alone doubles and can one shot dimitri and dedue.

That being said, gotta keep our eyes out for more later game footage. Seems like there might be more enemies/reinforcements but i can't confirm.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
The new costumes are fun but I really, really hope that the next batch of costumes are more serious or in-character for the students/teachers.

Haven't been convinced to buy the pass yet with recycling of existing maps for 'new' auxiliary battles and some cute costumes. I really hope the story dlc will sell me on it!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't got the game yet but how challenging is Hard mode?

Imagine a non-stationary, higher-level-than-your-people Death Knight without weakness to anti-cav skills and spells charging at you from turn 1.

E: Ah sorry, i mixed it with the new Maddening difficulty.

See Xavi's post. It's rather easy, but can get more difficult in certain chapters.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
If you're an experienced player, "Hard" difficulty mode (as per game naming conventions) is slightly challenging while never being actually hard. You need to pay attention to what you're doing, but it's totally doable without having to plan multiple turns ahead, and simply by reacting appropriately to what's going on.

As for the new "Maddening" difficulty mode, it's still undergoing evaluation. It looks like it's brutal though. Like really, really, really hard.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

If you're a series veteran, it won't be very challenging, barring some exceptional maps. If you're a newcomer, it'd probably be just right. Normal, on the other hand, may as well have been named "Story Mode."

Then there's Maddening... which seems pretty insane. So overall, Three Houses is another entry with poor difficulty balancing between the modes. Pretty unfortunate.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
If you're a series veteran, it won't be very challenging, barring some exceptional maps. If you're a newcomer, it'd probably be just right. Normal, on the other hand, may as well have been named "Story Mode."

Then there's Maddening... which seems pretty insane. So overall, Three Houses is another entry with poor difficulty balancing between the modes. Pretty unfortunate.
Yeah, I wish there was a way to have a "Hard+" mode or something.

Right now we have "piss easy", "remotely challenging", and "brutally hard".

Aka. "Easy", "Normal", and "Insane". With no "Hard" in-between.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Part 1 is easy, part 2 gets more challenging but it is still a very easy mode.
Imagine a non-stationary, higher-level-than-your-people Death Knight without weakness to anti-cav skills and spells charging at you from turn 1.

E: Ah sorry, i mixed it with the new Maddening difficulty.

See Xavi's post. It's rather easy, but can get more difficult in certain chapters.
If you're an experienced player, "Hard" difficulty mode (as per game naming conventions) is slightly challenging while never being actually hard. You need to pay attention to what you're doing, but it's totally doable without having to plan multiple turns ahead, and simply by reacting appropriately to what's going on.

As for the new "Maddening" difficulty mode, it's still undergoing evaluation. It looks like it's brutal though. Like really, really, really hard.

So i'm guessing Maddening is a lot closer to Conquest Lunatic than Hard?

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Playing the mock battle in maddening and just realized i hadn't seen the Game Over screen before lol, didn't cross my mind that those are thing in my other playthroughs.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

The closest thing to that with probably be a NG+ playthrough on Maddening. Still difficult early on, but having strong battalions as well as a shit ton of professor points and recruiting the best students will make you snowball faster than the enemies do.

You also get WAY more renown depending on how many routes you've cleared now.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah, they need to improve balancing difficulties in the next FE games, but i can understand them somewhat failing in this case. It really must be a bitch balancing something if you're giving the player some real freedom in terms of army and unit building.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019

I honestly don't think Maddening is brutally hard, specially if you're on NG+ although i've only played 2 chapters it doesn't seem like Awakenings lunatic+ level of stupid hard, is just challenging from what i've seen.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The closest thing to that with probably be a NG+ playthrough on Maddening. Still difficult early on, but having strong battalions as well as a shit ton of professor points and recruiting the best students will make you snowball faster than the enemies do.

You also get WAY more renown depending on how many routes you've cleared now.
Yeah you're right. I'll probably try that on a next playthrough. But even with good battalions, it looks like the first (actually second) battle will still be pretty hard though.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you're right. I'll probably try that on a next playthrough. But even with good battalions, it looks like the first (actually second) battle will still be pretty hard though.

Looks like bows and vulneries are definitely gonna be your best friend very early on. On the plus side you can cheese some of the magic users like Manuela into being completely useless once she runs out of casts and as long as byleth and your lord don't die you're fine.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like bows and vulneries are definitely gonna be your best friend very early on. On the plus side you can cheese some of the magic users like Manuela into being completely useless once she runs out of casts and as long as byleth and your lord don't die you're fine.
Early game may be manageable.

But.

Welp.

There are pics of Silver Snow last battle enemy stats.

I've seen a mage with 80 atk (not joking) 25 AS, and 25 prt (and like 45 rsl).

Eeek.

Oct 25, 2017

They'll at least be a fairly normal Hard mode that way. Do you have access to spending Renown before the mock battle?

Even without it, some battalions will push you out of Double range, or full to death doubles, and double the damage of some of the crappier units.

I do expect it to even out, but putting such a huge roadblock before you get any customization options seems like it is really ill-advised.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still early on Maddening but I have the impression this is going to be harder than Conquest Lunatic.
Oof. I bounced off of Awakening Lunatic early due to Frederick being the only one with a chance to not die instantly. I was really looking forward to a new difficulty mode that would feel more like Hard mode in part 2, since part 1 in Hard is a cakewalk. I don't know about committing to a full route of that, especially knowing how some of the maps in part 2 hike up the difficulty as is.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed that no one posted a Golden State Deer Warriors pic

And I dont even have my switch with me to do it myself

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Disappointed that no one posted a Golden State Deer Warriors pic

And I dont even have my switch with me to do it myself

This works?
EEMUHLPUwAEuZlx

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Conquest Lunatic was the pinnacle of FE difficulty balancing. Maddening being maybe harder sounds... iffy. Hopefully I'll still be able to recruit everyone, but losing 1+ dark seals sounds rough.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
I thought Conquest Lunatic was the pinnacle of FE difficulty balancing. Maddening being maybe harder sounds... iffy. Hopefully I'll still be able to recruit everyone, but losing 1+ dark seals sounds rough.

It's about on par with Conquest Lunatic. Enemies are comparatively stronger than the ones in Conquest Lunatic but the player has weapon arts/gambits to spam (and two overpowered lords rather than one).

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
It's about on par with Conquest Lunatic. Enemies are comparatively stronger than the ones in Conquest Lunatic but the player has weapon arts/gambits to spam (and two overpowered lords rather than one).

As well as Divine Blessing, characters that can use any kind of weapon, etc. You have significantly more tools to handle the challenge compared to Fates.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Has anyone else found the update causes their game to crash? No issues before downloading, now it crashes.