• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where else to write this but I repent. I talked plenty of shit about the monastery and all that, about how I'm DONE with this series. But I just restarted it after putting it down for months... This game is really good. I musta been burned out on it or something because I've come around.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Y'all I am so crazy about this game

I did Crimson Flower first, then Verdant Wind, now I'm on Azure Moon. Then I'll do Silver Snow as I saved at Chapter 11 on BE.

But now I'm debating, after all that, doing one more Crimson Flower fun as M!Byleth (I did it as F last time) with my recruited Ashen Wolves DLC then I can get Jeritza since I did CF before he came out

It's weird, like other games I am fine missing out on content but I just love exploring everything about this
It's personal taste obviously but I would suggest doing another CF run to experience Jeritza and the Ashen Wolves supports in that route. I just really didn't like Silver Snow, plus you already played Verdant Wind so you played the better version of that run.

Very interesting, I hope we can get more lore on the Dagdan/Brigid failed invasion of the Empire which destroyed her house. Also really can't wait to watch her supports with the Black Eagles.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Balthus' Bio.

Ashen Wolves
Balthus (CV: Kimura Subaru)

A rowdy man from the Alliance. The self-proclaimed "Leicester's King of Melee". His hearty and careless personality are what lead to him becoming a fugitive, so he hides out in the Abyss. He follows his desire to protect the people of Abyss who sheltered him, as well as his fighting instincts, thoroughly thrashing any intruders.

Second pic:
"A guy like me used to be a noble too, but well, who knows where life will take you!"

Convo:
Balthus: "Haha! This is quite the stroke of luck! Alright you guys, pick between lining up your asses for a beating, or getting tied up quietly!"
Claude: "Sorry, everyone. I'm not sure what I did wrong... But it seems we'll regrettably have to fight. As the Eastern Hermit says, when someone throws a stone at you, retaliate with a rain of stones, or something like that."
Balthus: "So you've finally gotten in the mood for a fight. Have a taste of the fists of "Leicester's King of Melee"!

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Y'all I am so crazy about this game

I did Crimson Flower first, then Verdant Wind, now I'm on Azure Moon. Then I'll do Silver Snow as I saved at Chapter 11 on BE.

But now I'm debating, after all that, doing one more Crimson Flower fun as M!Byleth (I did it as F last time) with my recruited Ashen Wolves DLC then I can get Jeritza since I did CF before he came out

It's weird, like other games I am fine missing out on content but I just love exploring everything about this

Doing the exact same as you, even down to the order. And definitely doing a final CF run to try Jeritza and just get to experience my favorite route one last time.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
A few more details:

Once you finish episode 1 of the DLC, you'll be able to visit the Abyss during the main game. As you proceed in the DLC the Ashen Wolves will gradually become recruitable in the main game, and will have new part 2 designs.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
A few more details:

Once you finish episode 1 of the DLC, you'll be able to visit the Abyss during the main game. As you proceed in the DLC the Ashen Wolves will gradually become recruitable in the main game, and will have new part 2 designs.

Perhaps Episode 1 is pre timeskip and Episode 2 is post timeskip.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to the post timeskip designs. But boy, Yuri DOES look way more feminine than Leon in Echoes. If you told me that's yet another female character, i'd believe you.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, honestly, if we're getting a new Slitherer for the Expansion, i wouldn't be surprised if that one looks very very similar to this Alphard dude.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017

As expected, there's no cert exams or the like in Cindered Shadows - all the units will come with a set of classes and skills they can change in and out of. It does say new classes will appear as well, but it's not clear if that's referring to just the new units or if they mean the existing characters will also get the new classes in the DLC.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
crossing my fingers for the campaign to be of decent length cause it's gotta carry the weight of this so far insanely lackluster season pass for me to care to get it. Which is a shame cause fuck I'm someone that got dlc for awakening(class dlc and apotheosis) and fates(class dlc) and the price/value ratio for those were trash as well so the fact they haven't enticed me at all so far for my goty of 2019 is a testament to how god awful this season pass has been so far to me.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017

The new classes are available after you clear episode 1 of Cindered Shadows, but they require an "Underground Seal" to take the exams. Trickster and War Monk "can use some magic" like the noble/commoner class, i.e. their magic uses are halved. (I always wondered why that was the only class with that property...)

Also looks like you need to certify in Thief before you can certify in Trickster.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, Tricksters can swap places with any ally within 5 spaces. That means they can essentially use a weak cast of Warp every turn by advancing forward and then swapping back with your wyverns or whoever else. That's pretty strong if it doesn't have any weird restrictions.

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Myrmidon -> Thief -> Trickster might be an easy way to get to Mortal Savant now. Might even make the Mortal Savant a bit better if you have steady Reason growths and learned magic before as well.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Christ, so Valkyrie is genderlocked?
Who's stupid decision was that?
I thought we moved past this shit with fates. Maybe it's koei tecmos fault.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
EQJ5b83U4AEWCne

OMG, she's so adorable (and more useful)!

Reminds me of Lissa.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

Trickster

A mage-swordsman who confuses opponents with quick movements. Can use some magic. Something worth looking at is their unique Art "Trick", which allows them to switch places with an ally within 5 tiles. Create chaos on the battlefield worthy of the name Trickster.

Also, when talking about Tricksters, you definitely think of this person. After clearing Cindered Shadows Ep. 1 and recruiting Anna, she can change into a personal outfit called "Combat Merchant's Clothes". Her portrait in conversations will also change.
Just like all other outfits, you can swap between them in your room.

Jan 9, 2018
Ah ok, I wasn't sure if he survived Azure Moon. I suppose Claude could star in a sequel if they can be ambiguous enough to the point where we don't know which route happened. Not entirely convinced it could be done well though, seeing how important Fódlan and Almyra relations are.
Just an idea but they could just start it differently using dialogue options.
for example, Claude is sitting under a tree and your character approaches him to ask what he's thinking about. Your choices could be something like "are you thinking about the Empire?", "are you thinking about your time in Fodlan?", "are you thinking about the Kingdom?", and "are you thinking about your old friends?"

Depending on your choice, the rest of the game could play out differently based on who Almyra's allies are, which old characters from Fodlan he'd interact with, etc.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
So, the best way to insert the DLC into a playthrough will be something like:

- Play the base game up until a certain point, say Chapter 2.
- Play through the DLC.
- Continue the base game playthrough, now with unlocked content from the DLC.

?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Trickster

A mage-swordsman who confuses opponents with quick movements. Can use some magic. Something worth looking at is their unique Art "Trick", which allows them to switch places with an ally within 5 tiles. Create chaos on the battlefield worthy of the name Trickster.

Also, when talking about Tricksters, you definitely think of this person. After clearing Cindered Shadows Ep. 1 and recruiting Anna, she can change into a personal outfit called "Combat Merchant's Clothes". Her portrait in conversations will also change.
Just like all other outfits, you can swap between them in your room.
Jeez, that seems so broken. I love it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

- Play through the DLC.

?
That's what it sounds like. So if you're like me and already beat the game four times you need to make another profile to set up the fifth in preparation for this dlc.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It seems to me that if there were to be a sequel and a need for a canonical storyline, they might do something like a "none of the above" or borrow bits and pieces from each one.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
These new classes are straight up using the default Awakening class designs, just with no hats.

Fates had the same issue though. Most DLC classes were gender locked even though the ones in the base game were universal.
At least the number of genderlocked classes were the same in the dlc, now we have 4 for one gender and 2 for other. Dark flier was genderless too
And wyvern are still the only flying male classes

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm near the end of Dimitri's route, already played edelgard's. Sounds like my best bet is dlc after I'm done, then Claude after, yeah?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, so Valkyrie is genderlocked?
Who's stupid decision was that?
I thought we moved past this shit with fates. Maybe it's koei tecmos fault.
One thing in particular that annoyed me about gender locking:

In the advice box, one of the messages talks about how they wanted to be a pegasus knight looking down from the sky...it's Hubert.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
trickster has stealth too doesn't it? if so that makes it an excellent unit to put next to your tank characters in order to have really good control over the battlefield
edit: or you could send one of your squishies to the front line have them take something out and trick them back to safety

Oct 25, 2017

- Play through the DLC.

?
That's what it sounds like. So if you're like me and already beat the game four times you need to make another profile to set up the fifth in preparation for this dlc.

Could somebody explain the first part of this to me (that it's recommended to piggyback Cindered Shadows on a file you've already started)? I haven't been following this closely: is the idea here that Cindered Shadows is a better integrated if you've already picked a main house?

Also, has there been any word on whether there will be anything coming in the patch for non-DLC owners?

I'm curious about both of these because I don't currently own the DLC pass, but was thinking about cramming in my third route (Golden Deer) over the next week or two, then—if the expansion looks like it's good value—picking up the pass for Cindered Shadows and my last route (Church).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Could somebody explain the first part of this to me (that it's recommended to piggyback Cindered Shadows on a file you've already started)? I haven't been following this closely: is the idea here that Cindered Shadows is a better integrated if you've already picked a main house?

Also, has there been any word on whether there will be anything coming in the patch for non-DLC owners?

I'm curious about both of these because I don't currently own the DLC pass, but was thinking about cramming in my third route (Golden Deer) over the next week or two, then—if the expansion looks like it's good value—picking up the pass for Cindered Shadows and my last route (Church).

Cindered Shadows is a separate campaign from the main menu. Upon completion of it / certain amounts of it, its new characters, jobs, and the necessary job seals will be unlocked in your main game(s).

I think what they were getting at is, if you're planning on starting a new run after/with the new Cindered Shadows content, it'd be best to get that file to ~CH2 beforehand, to be at the point where you can recruit the students. (But it doesn't really matter—this is just hypothetical prep.)

Don't think there's any word on non-DLC free content yet, but there should be some.