• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For your first run are you playing on...

• Normal/Classic

• Hard/Classic

• Normal/Casual

• Hard/Casual

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
All I need to know is, where's Donnel and when can I save him?
He's called Cyril in this game, but we don't know much about him yet. He's a supposed archer, much like Fates' villager was. It's speculated that he joins you after time skip to give you more options if you've been a horrible teacher and made everyone a Pegasus Knight.
cyril-fire-emblem-three-houses-2.08.jpg

Last edited:

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder if Hard mode will be too easy if you handcraft your units due to them accommodating people who skip the calendar stuff. Well at least their will be 3 playthroughs so I'm sure more people will choose to skip on later playthroughs anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yup 3D anime tends to look "choppy" precisely because most studios go with 24fps to mimic the "choppiness" of hand drawn animation. Your brain adjusts to the lower frames on TV, the issue will be that the game plays at 30fps, and the cutscenes play at 24. Whenever one thing happens after the other, until the brain adjusts it will be pretty rough

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This game will consume me, I'm thinking of spreading each house playthrough through the year.

Black Eagles run and then take a break for Daemon x Machina

Golden Deer run and then take a break for Astral Chain

Blue Lions run and then take a break for Cold Steel III and Links Awakening.
For me:

- Golden Deer play through at launch
- Black Eagles play through in December (too many games: Astral Chain, DQXIS, Witcher 3, Pokémon, et al.)
- February/March sees a Blue Lions playthrough

And then the rest of my life will see replays of those paths whenever I feel like it.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Up until recently I've never played a fire emblem game ever before.
I started playing it on a GBA emulator and now I am definitely interested in this because the GBA one is simply brilliant, hasn't aged a day .

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Also did we know that there seem to be actual story-affecting decisions within each route? I don't recall them mentioning that before. Apparently they're big enough that the reviewer wants to go back and redo his first house.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
What am I looking at?

I like this whatever it is.
According to the article every month starts with a narration about it and it's significance, so it's a really cool way of explaining the lore and backstory of Fodlan. You can see how it's drawn like old medieval illustrations, which is just so rad. I love that kind of thing.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also did we know that there seem to be actual story-affecting decisions within each route? I don't recall them mentioning that before. Apparently they're big enough that the reviewer wants to go back and redo his first house.
the leaker mentioned multiple endings for one specific route. We don't know what route Engadget played so it might be the same one

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that really makes me happy is that they're placing a lot of emphasis on world building. Reminds me of Tellius games.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's incredible how well IS and Nintendo have managed to flip the narrative about Three Houses. It's looked better and better every time they show it, and between this, the leak, and the Three-House Treehouse, it's become my most anticipated game of the year.

I'm curious about the writer's mentions of potential branching within the storyline of a single house.
The leak mentioned Edelgard having two routes, but could there be some significant variation in the other houses' stories as well?

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
the leaker mentioned multiple endings for one specific route. We don't know what route Engadget played so it might be the same one
Ah I must've missed that part of the leak. That 200 hour mark is looking more and more realistic for all endings lol. I wonder if multiple save files will be effective or if the story diverges rather early. I imagine it would diverge later since that already have 3 different paths in the game.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good preview, but it doesn't say anything of the main thing I'm worried about: map design and variety during the battles themselves.

Literally all the maps I've seen so far from the game had been solid, with things like interactable objects on maps like drawbridges, escaping civilian, traps on maps, soft turn limit to decentivise turtling.

Apparently there are also optional maps that are very dangerous and the game tells you many other players have died here, if you beat the map you get nice rewards.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
One thing that really makes me happy is that they're placing a lot of emphasis on world building. Reminds me of Tellius games.
What's great is that Tellius had even more lore that wasn't in the actual games but in the artbook, which is nice but Three Houses seems to be including it all in the game. I hope there's a lot of text in the library.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Sounds like the game is gonna be awesome. Interested to see how similar the mechanics are to Persona.

Surprised that the weapon triangle isn't in the game though it sounds like it's similar regardless.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
Was planning to grab a Switch only when Animal Crossing is out but the more I read about this game the more I want a Switch this month.

Funny considering I had very negative impression from initial reveal when I thought they hired a BL artist to double down on what I wasn't comfortable with Fates.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
No, that was Tokyo Mirage Sessions!

I jest, but I wonder if their work with Atlus made them realize how much they could improve on with their own game.

I was thinking the same thing. They already seemed to be heading in the direction but this seems like they took a lot more inspiration from the Atlus confidant moments. Hopefully their writing is close to the same level or it may comes off as major fluff.

With that said, I JUST finished Persona 5 so I may need to cleanse my palette before tackling this game.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Hard classic for me, I did replay Awakening on Lunatic but the end game was just impossible for me haha

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Normally, I'd go normal, but the mention in the preview about Normal feeling too easy, plus the massive pile of tools to optimize your units, has me wanting to start on Hard. Classic to keep me honest, or at least stop me from making sacrifice plays. I'll still rpobably end up Bronzemanning it.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Great preview, I'm super hyped. Love that NG+ is confirmed. Two weeks is too long!

Anyway, I'm Casual/Normal because I don't play video games for their difficulty. Maybe I'll do one of the NG+ runs on Casual/Hard.

Last edited:

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to know if the houses vary in difficulty.

But yeah, it's nice to see such a glowing preview for the game.
Hard Classic is the way to go for me. Already have the game preloaded (no physical because of replayability).

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd like to know if the houses vary in difficulty.

But yeah, it's nice to see such a glowing preview for the game.
Hard Classic is the way to go for me. Already have the game preloaded (no physical because of replayability).
There hasn't been any indication at all that difficulty varies between the houses. So I'd say it's probably safe to assume there won't be.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I never expected stuff like the narration about the religious meanings of each month with art to go with. That's lovely.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
It seems my hand slipped and I've started preloading the game.
Really starting to look forward to this game!

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Hmm
From the preview it said the Normal seemed a bit too easy. I may have to go with Hard this time around. And all these good things being said about the game and the Academy life management being better than Persona has me extra hype for it. Im super glad I ordered the collectors edition, I dont want to love the game and regret not buying it.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in, looks great. Even though I'm not pumped for weapon degradation to be back, it is a staple of the series after all.

Shame I'll just end up hoarding all the rare weapons, again.

Vexingsruzz

Oct 29, 2017
Hearing again that the story and support conversations are good brings a smile to my face. Two more weeks and I'll get to try it for myself.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I must've skipped that part of the article. It will almost work like mana points on other games then.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Man this just looks better and better. I really hope this lives up to the hype - Fire Emblem is my favorite Nintendo franchise :D.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
As much as I struggled to finish Shadow Dragon last month, reading this preview sounds like the series has evolved to address the things I felt the game was lacking.

I went from interested to preloading it.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to decide which House to choose first dammit. Either Edgelord or Dimitri. And then also whether I want to roll either MByleth or FByleth (and which House do I want to match which up to as well?)

Decisions decisions :(

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I'm still trying to decide which House to choose first dammit. Either Edgelord or Dimitri. And then also whether I want to roll either MByleth or FByleth (and which House do I want to match which up to as well?)

Welcome to my problems. My thoughts on this change daily, though I am leaning toward Edelgard - joining the Empire sounds pretty awesome for a diehard Star Wars fan

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I got extremely hyped at the "what Fates should have been" part. That game had so much potential but it squandered everything.
I can't wait for Three Houses.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Between NG+ and the hugely daunting task of optimizing a first playthrough, I'm thinking I might do Golden Deer first as a trial run, then go to my actual first pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.