• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For your first run are you playing on...

• Normal/Classic

• Hard/Classic

• Normal/Casual

• Hard/Casual

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Has Lunatic been deconfirmed? Especially if Normal is on the easier side, I just might not have as much fun on Hard either.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised the Engadget preview doesn't trash more the visuals, as I would've expected the press to do. It merely says the resolution is a bit fuzzy sometimes.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Has Lunatic been deconfirmed? Especially if Normal is on the easier side, I just might not have as much fun on Hard either.

Nope. It isn't a default option, but the series is no stranger to harder difficulties being unlockables.

Even if it isn't in at launch, they're apparently doing several free updates coinciding with DLC waves, so I would fully expect it to be implemented eventually.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. It isn't a default option, but the series is no stranger to harder difficulties being unlockables.

Even if it isn't in at launch, they're apparently doing several free updates coinciding with DLC waves, so I would fully expect it to be implemented eventually.
That sucks. So my first house maybe shouldn't be the one I want to play the most, depending on how/if it's unlockable.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I'm surprised the Engadget preview doesn't trash more the visuals, as I would've expected the press to do. It merely says the resolution is a bit fuzzy sometimes.

They might just be understanding of it being Intelligent Systems first HD Fire Emblem & the limitations of the Switch. Game also looks leaps and bounds better than it did during the initial 2018 E3 trailer so maybe they cut it some slack.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I hope the rest of the previews get posted tomorrow, but two weeks from now is the day before release. So worst case scenario this was supposed to go up then. Since it says preview and not review though, I'm inclined to think tomorrow is possible

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait! I've spoiled I feel a bit too much with Nintendo's own trailers, but I'm glad impressions are positive

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Damn it Nintendo. With everything else coming out this month (Wolf2, MUA3, etc) and some backlog, I was perfectly FINE not getting excited and buying fire emblem...then I read that preview. And now i have to buy fire emblem.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What is the difference between Normal/Classic and Hard/Classic? I'm definitely playing Classic mode either way - The way Fire Emblem is meant to be played!

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
What is the difference between Normal/Classic and Hard/Classic? I'm definitely playing Classic mode either way - The way Fire Emblem is meant to be played!

One change we know has been that the option to grind maps in unlimited fashion is removed on Hard mode. Other expected changes would likely include increased enemy counts, stronger enemies, more enemies with battalions and potential AI changes.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Never played FE before.

Will I like it if I liked Valkyria Chronicles? Or is it a completely different type of game?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Never played FE before.

Will I like it if I liked Valkyria Chronicles? Or is it a completely different type of game?
There's a fair few similarities. Like Valkyria, it's a "you go, I go" system, rather than being based on individual unit initiative order. It's also got the units with individual stories and personalities interacting with each other, though it goes into more depth than Valkyria does.

I suppose it depends on why you liked VC, really.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Never played FE before.

They're definitely in a similar vein, so yes, chances are quite good that you'd probably like it.

But of course it isn't Valkyria Chronicles, so YMMV. The overlap of people who'd like both is probably pretty high, but it isn't 100%.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Never played FE before.

It's fairly similar. Just exchange modern world war setting for fantasy, with grid-based battles instead of free-move.

Basically, mix Valkyria Chronicles with Final Fantasy Tactics or the like. You should be more-or-less at home. For what it's worth, it was VC4 that most satisfied my Fire Emblem wait on Switch.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One change we know has been that the option to grind maps in unlimited fashion is removed on Hard mode. Other expected changes would likely include increased enemy counts, stronger enemies, more enemies with battalions and potential AI changes.
Thanks. I like the option to grind if necessary so I'll likely go with normal even though I'm a fire emblem pro

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
How friendly this game is for newcomers?
Very. There's no need to have played or have knowledge of past game stories, characters, events to understand this game. And gameplay wise there's a lot of options and QoL features that you can take advantage of if you choose to customize the gameplay to your level and comfort. You can choose to have perma-death on or off, so if units fall in battle they'll still be usable in future fights. Completely separate from that is the overall difficulty mode. So you can play with perma-death off on Hard if you want. And then completely outside either of those options there's a built in rewind mechanic that you can choose to use to undo moves during combat. You're limited to how many times you can use the rewind in combat, but you're not limited with how far back you rewind. So you could be on turn 25 and rewind to turn 2 if you really wanted.

Last edited:

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Very. There's no need to have played or have knowledge of past game stories, characters, events to understand this game. And gameplay wise there's a lot of options and QoL features that you can take advantage of if you choose to customize the gameplay to your level and comfort. You can choose to have perma-death on or off, so if units fall in battle they'll still be usable in future fights. Completely separate from that is the overall difficulty mode. So you can play without perma-death off on Hard if you want. And then completely outside either of those options there's a built in rewind mechanic that you can choose to use to undo moves during combat. You're limited to how many times you can use the rewind in combat, but you're not limited with how far back you rewind. So you could be on turn 25 and rewind to turn 2 if you really wanted.
Thank you sir, I will give a try.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It seems like this game will a revolutionary title for the SRPG genre.
it is no longer about having a battle and reading texts then repeat, it seems like it is much much more than that
and i love this! can't wait.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
i just want to point out that the author's last name is Souppouris, which makes me wonder if his distant ancestors were known for how they poured soup. Like maybe they were messy, getting soup everywhere.

It's an interesting thought.

As for Fire Emblem, I have been leaving far shorter games unfinished... but I have learned to not feel obligated to play something to the end. So I'll probably get this, and chip away at it while I'm in the mood.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if I'll finally play the game without permadeaths -- usually if someone dies, I'll restart the battle. So there seems to be no reason just to cut out the middle man and just do a normal run.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
So... what's next for IS after this game? Paper mario, new IP, another FE remake.....or maybe advance wars?

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder if I'll finally play the game without permadeaths -- usually if someone dies, I'll restart the battle. So there seems to be no reason just to cut out the middle man and just do a normal run.
I think many people play like that on classic. One difference between doing that on classic or just playing casual mode is that in casual you get to make sacrificial plays in lieu of finding a strat that will have have everyone live at the end. Though definitely play how you want, I know I've had people die on me on the last few enemies that really made me question if I just should leave them dead lol.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I think many people play like that on classic. One difference between doing that on classic or just playing casual mode is that in casual you get to make sacrificial plays in lieu of finding a strat that will have have everyone live at the end. Though definitely play how you want, I know I've had people die on me on the last few enemies that really made me question if I just should leave them dead lol.
Ugh, I know, gah. And it's much more rewarding to get everyone through alive...

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Just use Divine Pulse to undo any deaths on classic!

Yeah, I'm finally getting around to Echoes and although I've been playing on Hard/Classic since FE7 I absolutely love the Turnwheel. Lets me be a little more risky/creative in my strategy and removes the fear of losing someone due to a terrible RNG roll without giving me the free rein casual mode does.

Can't wait for 3H.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I just read the preview — holy smokes, this game sounds incredible

There should really be a Direct highlighting some of these features

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I know, gah. And it's much more rewarding to get everyone through alive...

The main issue is that, at least in all the FEs I've played, getting through any map with a full army is basically trivial. Heck, often enough you can massacre the enemy with two or three units if you're willing to let one of them bite the dust. Starting from zero deaths, the risk isn't that you won't make it through the current chapter; it's that you'll have lost enough troops that you won't make it through the next chapter.

This isn't to say that people shouldn't play the way they like, but FE without permadeath is kinda broken from a balance standpoint. The rewind option is a much more mechanically sound way of making the game less punishing.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
FE without permadeath is just removing the tedium of reloading and replaying a entire map because one character died due to missing a 90% against the final enemy to me.

Even way before New Mystery i always reloaded if a character died, so No permadeath just makes the games more enjoyable to me.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FE without permadeath is just removing the tedium of reloading and replaying a entire map because one character died due to missing a 90% against the final enemy to me.

Even way before New Mystery i always reloaded if a character died, so No permadeath just makes the games more enjoyable to me.
I think the existence of rewind mitigates that a lot, while still encouraging you to play in such a way that you don't willingly sacrifice a character to go forward knowing they'll be back afterwards anyways

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I think the existence of rewind mitigates that a lot, while still encouraging you to play in such a way that you don't willingly sacrifice a character to go forward knowing they'll be back afterwards anyways

I dont sacrifice my units even when i play in casual mode.

If my characters are important enough for me to reload whenever one dies, i would also not just yolo them into a horde of enemies because i know they will be back next battle.

The rewind feature is quite helpful indeed, though we dont know yet how expansive it will be in the end.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I honestly feel like I'm dreaming

few years ago i was desperate, my beloved SRPG series stopped releasing outside Japan altogether and sales were bad

now you are telling me Fire Emblem will have an entry with 200h worth of play? voice acting? cut-scenes? 3 main routes in the same game? exploring from third perspective and social elements? epic battles and gigantic maps?

it sounds like this game will actually compete with Xenoblade 2 for the best rpg game on Switch

I'm beyond happy really, despite some missteps this has always been a fantastic and underrated series

it is the best SRPG series out there.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like the Normal difficulty is too easy, so maybe I'll try Hard. But yeah, I'll probably match that with Casual (or whatever removes permadeath), because there may be times when I just want to brute-force a mission for efficiency's sake. Sure you can use Divine Pulse to rewind time, but that means the mission will take longer.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

few years ago i was desperate, my beloved SRPG series stopped releasing outside Japan altogether and sales were bad

now you are telling me Fire Emblem will have an entry with 200h worth of play? voice acting? cut-scenes? 3 main routes in the same game? exploring from third perspective and social elements? epic battles and gigantic maps?

it sounds like this game will actually compete with Xenoblade 2 for the best rpg game on Switch

I'm beyond happy really, despite some missteps this has always been a fantastic and underrated series

Yeah, the more I learn about this game, the more impressed I am. I also like the new art style. The previous art style (Awakening, Fates) was also great, but I appreciate the less outlandish character designs here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Heh, you ain't seen nothing yet. This game will sell more than 4M, and then this amount of effort into an FE game will become the norm!

Status
Not open for further replies.