• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For your first run are you playing on...

• Normal/Classic

• Hard/Classic

• Normal/Casual

• Hard/Casual

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Normally, I'd go normal, but the mention in the preview about Normal feeling too easy, plus the massive pile of tools to optimize your units, has me wanting to start on Hard. Classic to keep me honest, or at least stop me from making sacrifice plays. I'll still rpobably end up Bronzemanning it.

I'm going on Normal (Casual as well for extra noob cred) because when it comes to strategy "too easy" is my "just right" lol

That is if I buy the game, but it does look good and I'm liking the sound of the Persona-like elements.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking I'll go with Dimitri's house, I see he gets a patcheye later in the game

Punished Dimitri

But does every house have waifus?

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Yeah, the more I learn about this game, the more impressed I am. I also like the new art style. The previous art style (Awakening, Fates) was also great, but I appreciate the less outlandish character designs here.

First here is a thing i wanted to tell you for a long time :P
i never participated in the old forum but i always liked your enthusiasm and how you perceive good design
so when you wrote something i always wanted to read what you say
i wanted you to know how much i appreciate this, keep it up! :)

if you ever had a chance to go back to the old games (if you didn't play them), i strongly recommend finding a way to play Fire Emblem Path of Radiance on the GC. in my humble opinion, it had one of the best stories/writing in that generation and honestly it is hard to imagine it being topped due to its linear progression which means writers were in full control of the story and its pace. the game spends a few chapters to masterfully introduce the Griel mercenaries, their ranks, their relationships, and slowly goes from there to build its political and conflicted world in a fantastic way.

Heh, you ain't seen nothing yet. This game will sell more than 4M, and then this amount of effort into an FE game will become the norm!

And this is what i hope for! : )

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

Dimitri's Lance crit animation pre-timeskip, that boy literally breaks the earth

Man, now I'm curious to see how powerful this looks when he's Punished Dimitri

First here is a thing i wanted to tell you for a long time :P
i never participated in the old forum but i always liked your enthusiasm and how you perceive good design
so when you wrote something i always wanted to read what you say
i wanted you to know how much i appreciate this, keep it up! :)

if you ever had a chance to go back to the old games (if you didn't play them), i strongly recommend finding a way to play Fire Emblem Path of Radiance on the GC. in my humble opinion, it had one of the best stories/writing in that generation and honestly it is hard to imagine it being topped due to its linear progression which means writers were in full control of the story and its pace. the game spends a few chapters to masterfully introduce the Griel mercenaries, their ranks, their relationships, and slowly goes from there to build its political and conflicted world in a fantastic way.
Thanks for the kind words. I just love this hobby of ours and how we all bond over this simple harmless fun. Games are a bright spot in what can sometimes be a dark world. Games represent our better angels -- namely, a desire to make each other smile. :-)

I'm definitely interested in the Radiant Duology, but I'm hopeful they will re-release them in a Switch compilation, given the steep costs of playing the originals!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain what the difference is between the casual and classic etc? Never seen anything like that in difficulty settings

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Great preview! Well written and in depth. The game sounds like a winner as well.

I'm definitely in on this game now. I've wanted to try Fire Emblem for a while but it never quite felt right, this really seems like the one for me though. Can't wait!

Probably going to go hard/classic, and not let anyone die. I want the challenge, and the rewind feature seems like it'll keep off the worst frustrations.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Sounds fucking incredible.

I even picked up FE Warriors to get into the mood but also not burn myself out by actually playing a traditional FE game.

Probably Hard/Casual for me. Don't like permadeath.

Oct 26, 2017
So a lot of scenarios don't play out in casual, correct?

I don't know anymore. The more I learn about this the more I think this entry is not for me. I thought Awakenings was perfect and I get not every entry should be the same but the length of the game plus casual skipping out on story threads gives me way too much anxiety just reading about it

The_Hitcher89

Mar 14, 2019
Do we know how the farming missions will work? Trying to play Awakening on Hard, and the non-story/sidemissions contain enemies who are so higher level than me, it's pointless to even attempt them

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gee, I wonder! Tomorrow gonna be good

giphy.gif

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Dimitri is the lord I was least interested in, but seeing his radical change after the time skip, his animations in both parts, and hearing more of his VA, he's grown on me quite a lot! Definitely excited to try out his house as well. I'm so conflicted on who to choose for my second file.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone, who 1.) was excited for this game since the very first trailer back in 2018, and 2.) never really got the exaggerated (and in some cases undeserved) sceptisism & hate this game received, it's kinda wild to see how things have changed now. But better late than never, I guess.

The preview is extremely positive. The only thing that concerns me though is that Normal mode seems to be easy.
As a veteran, who values gameplay more than anything else, I'm afraid that even Hard mode won't satisfy me. Kind of a bummer that the previewer doesn't
mention whether lunatic will unlock after a playthrough or not.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
So a lot of scenarios don't play out in casual, correct?

I don't know anymore. The more I learn about this the more I think this entry is not for me. I thought Awakenings was perfect and I get not every entry should be the same but the length of the game plus casual skipping out on story threads gives me way too much anxiety just reading about it

Where did it mention that Casual is content-locked? Don't think I've seen that anywhere.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing Normal/Classic (always classic) to get a feel for the mechanics before hitting harder difficulties. But I hope they don't stop at Lunatic. Go all the way up to Abyssal. And then beyond with Abyssal+. And a + option for every difficulty.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully some of the previewers have played more than one route. I need clarification whether the routes differ in terms of difficulty and complexity or not.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
As someone, who 1.) was excited for this game since the very first trailer back in 2018, and 2.) never really got the exaggerated (and in some cases undeserved) sceptisism & hate this game received, it's kinda wild to see how things have changed now. But better late than never, I guess.

The preview is extremely positive. The only thing that concerns me though is that Normal mode seems to be easy.
As a veteran, who values gameplay more than anything else, I'm afraid that even Hard mode won't satisfy me. Kind of a bummer that the previewer doesn't

The writer of the preview seemed kinda well-versed in the series in which case, normal being kind of easy for them is probably not too surprising.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The writer of the preview seemed kinda well-versed in the series in which case, normal being kind of easy for them is probably not too surprising.
yeah, I thought normal was pretty easy in awakening for example hence why I went hard for that game which had the best balance imo, but I know plenty of newcomers found it challenging enough

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

It seems to me like the difficulty will be on par with FE Echoes. Normal was easy for the most time but the game became noticeably more challenging in the last chapter. however, it wasn't hard to keep everyone alive.

so maybe Normal/Classic will be a good mix again, but Hard/Classic is going to be very challenging, probably.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean true, but that doesn't really quench my concern. I just hope there is a lunatic option.
It seems to me like the difficulty will be on par with FE Echoes. Normal was easy for the most time but the game became noticeably more challenging in the last chapter. however, it wasn't hard to keep everyone alive.

so maybe Normal/Classic will be a good mix again, but Hard/Classic is going to be very challenging, probably.
Echoes Hard/Classic wasn't really hard, though.
If TH's hard mode is on the same level as Radiant Dawns Normal mode, then I'll be satisfied more or less.
Conquest Hard/Classic still offers the most satisfying experience, though. It was pretty challenging without drifting too much into BS territory like Thracia 776.

grassblade

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit worried about the Persona like calender system where there is an end date and limited number of things I can do each day. I got so worried about missing things or moments in P5 that I was constantly looking up guides trying to min/max each day. Couldnt finish the game even though I liked the characters and combat system.

I loved Awakening so hopefully this doesn't get in the way of enjoying the game.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain what the difference is between the casual and classic etc? Never seen anything like that in difficulty settings

Normal>Hard changes things like enemy stats, variety, placement, weapons, as well as removes access to grinding, meaning exp is limited.

Casual/Classic changes whether your units are limited. In Classic FE games if a unit dies in battle they are gone forever, if you choose casual mode they instead respawn after the battle.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Do we know how the farming missions will work? Trying to play Awakening on Hard, and the enemy levels in the non-story/sidemissions contain enemies who are so higher level than me, it's pointless to even attempt them
On Normal Mode there are low level battles you can do on the weekends that cost 0 activity points, so you can presumably do them as many times as you want every weekend. I can't imagine they'll be hard at all.

They might actually be really inefficient in terms of grinding, though if you can do them an infinite amount of times, that wouldn't matter. Studying seems to be how you really get the skill points. We'll see once the game comes out, I'm actually looking forward to the monastery section now that I know a bit more of how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.