• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For your first run are you playing on...

• Normal/Classic

• Hard/Classic

• Normal/Casual

• Hard/Casual

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
89+ MC seems a lock. The game is relatively polished (in terms of UI features), is apparently smooth enough to play to get people to replay immediately, has a lot of content that reviewers would like out of an SRPG, is fully voiced, etc.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Never played any of these games, are they good? Can anyone recommend a good video that gives a good overview of the game and what type of game it is?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I wish main characters that "died" in battle in Classic mode would just injure them for X number of battles, not permanently.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think that there's going to be a significant number of outlets that ding it for the visuals, which it must be admitted aren't great. Hard to argue that this game is a technical masterpiece.

85MC.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never played any of these games, are they good? Can anyone recommend a good video that gives a good overview of the game and what type of game it is?

Have you ever played a SRPG? Fire Emblem is pretty easy to learn as far as SRPGs go.

I think that there's going to be a significant number of outlets that ding it for the visuals, which it must be admitted aren't great. Hard to argue that this game is a technical masterpiece.

85MC.

I highly doubt that most reviewer really care. Games rarely get penalized for disappointing visuals, specially Switch games where the expectations are already pretty low when it comes to that.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt that most reviewer really care. Games rarely get penalized for disappointing visuals, specially Switch games where the expectations are already pretty low when it comes to that.
Mm, maybe. This is the first Switch game I've followed this closely before release lol.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

85MC.
I don't know.
I feel visuals only truly affect scores when they're really good or really bad/just bad in general.

Anything not offensively bad or just good/decent doesn't reflect on the score.

Personally, i don't think graphics is going to affect too much in the reviews. It's going to live and die on its gameplay, writing and Characters. Most reviewers probably aren't going in expecting a graphical showcase for a fire emblem game.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Fuck it, I'm in.

image0.png

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty into what I read in the Engadget preview. It's been long enough now that I'm hopefully no longer burned out on the gameplay from playing too much FE Heroes (which I think led to me dropping Valentia really early on in the game), and all the contrasts drawn between this and Fates sound like moves in the right direction, though I did enjoy Fates quite a bit.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Never played a Fire Emblem game before but this looks like something I'll enjoy immensely.

Kinda reminds of Romance of the Three Kingdoms (specifically IX since I played that a lot), in that it mixes a lot of management systems with tactical combat.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is now my most excited FE game yet. Fates took me out of this series a bit, even though overall I enjoyed my play through, but I really loved echoes and am excited that this game is taking a lot from it (turnwheel, combat arts, exploration, etc).

The first trailer wasn't too enticing, but the more I see and hear from this the more I want it.

I'm preloaded and ready to go.
Black eagles vs Blue lions is ruining my life
Same. It's seriously killing me. Lemme know which you choose, I'm hoping we can get to know the characters of each a little bit before the decision.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
This is probably my most hyped game of the year. Every preview, every reveal it all just makes it better and better! What a turnaround from the weak E3 showing!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Tying skills to weapon degredation actually makes it a potentially interesting and worthwhile system. I never cared for it previously as it wasn't really challenging or interesting to manage that resource in past games. It was needless busy work so I was happy to see it go. But now with skills it dramatically increases their value and need to manage their use, at least in a per encounter basis until they can be repaired.

Jul 3, 2019
Never played a Fire Emblem game before but this looks like something I'll enjoy immensely.

Kinda reminds of Romance of the Three Kingdoms (specifically IX since I played that a lot), in that it mixes a lot of management systems with tactical combat.

it's funny you say that because, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I do believe it is the team at Koei-Tecmo that worked on the Three Kingdom series that have been doing the bulk of the work on this game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ugh, I really want both this and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but they come out so close to each other.

I REALLY need to finish Judgement soon.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Likely going Normal/Classic. I've been playing Casual the last few games and I'm happy for the option but I think its time to give a rest for a while.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
For what it's worth, you can now repair weapons, as in FE4. They no longer shatter at 0 uses, they just become significantly weakened until repaired.
That is worth something to me :P I bought the game regardless so it's not too bad for me just never saw the point of it just made it less fun.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting more and more hyped for this that I am playing more Fire Emblem Heroes to fill the void. Now I could try to finish up Echoes but I don't want to burn myself out before even starting Three Houses so Heroes will have to do to pick that itch.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I loved both Awakening and Fates, and this looks even better than both. Seriously can't wait for this one, hype levels are at max.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm all about that Normal/Casual with my own rule set. I'll play and restart missions if someone dies BUT if I absolutely can't beat the mission without losing someone I like having the safety net there.

Feb 12, 2019
I'm all about that Hard/Classic lifestyle. Modern Fire Emblem games aren't especially difficult most of the time on Normal, so removing permadeath and throwing in some optional grinding tends to make them even easier. Hopefully, the return of the Turnwheel mechanic will be enough of a cushion to prevent me from getting too frustrated with resets. There were definitely some moments in Fates: Conquest that made me wish I wasn't so OCD about keeping everyone alive.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm all about that Normal/Casual with my own rule set. I'll play and restart missions if someone dies BUT if I absolutely can't beat the mission without losing someone I like having the safety net there.
So I am not the only one who plays Fire Emblem games with this "strange" rule set. At the end it is basically the same as Classic, but if someone dies in the very last turn after a very long battle, at least I can decide not to redo everything.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know what MC prediction to make >.< You'd think it scores over Fates, but Fates had ridiculous scores, so even though I should bet above that... I really don't want to.

~85.
70MC

IGN: Why can't I play as a Mii character.
Gamespot: I want to play as a Mii.
If you change that to Wii, it starts to sound like a couple of Radiant Dawn reviews.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
First here is a thing i wanted to tell you for a long time :P
i never participated in the old forum but i always liked your enthusiasm and how you perceive good design
so when you wrote something i always wanted to read what you say
i wanted you to know how much i appreciate this, keep it up! :)

if you ever had a chance to go back to the old games (if you didn't play them), i strongly recommend finding a way to play Fire Emblem Path of Radiance on the GC. in my humble opinion, it had one of the best stories/writing in that generation and honestly it is hard to imagine it being topped due to its linear progression which means writers were in full control of the story and its pace. the game spends a few chapters to masterfully introduce the Griel mercenaries, their ranks, their relationships, and slowly goes from there to build its political and conflicted world in a fantastic way.

And this is what i hope for! : )
Oh man, Path of Radiance is my favourite by far. It stands head and shoulders above Blazing Blade, Shadow Dragon and Sacred stones, mostly due to story, although the Laguz were a great mechanic, too.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Path of Radiance's animations are so bad though :( it's my only gripe with the game. It's just so jarring! The GBA Emblems are my favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.