• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
wait is that a pairup? I thought those weren't in this game?
They're not, precisely. You can assign a small number of adjutants depending on your professor level before battle. They're permanently attached, always gain xp, and can help out by blocking some damage, attacking, or healing, but it's a lot less flexible than pair up.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
They're not, precisely. You can assign a small number of adjutants depending on your professor level before battle. They're permanently attached, always gain xp, and can help out by blocking some damage, attacking, or healing, but it's a lot less flexible than pair up.

Oh okay. I guess a way to level up the super squishies without worrying about them getting murdered.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
This has probably been answered, but does the school/monastery style stuff continue after the time skip?

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
" Claude, who will someday lead the mercantile republic that is the Leicester Alliance, has his eyes on a much bigger picture and hides his schemes behind laughs and smiles."

Straight from Kotaku's review! Like why do people keep saying this!? Do we know for sure that Claude is just a shonen anime trope that is the good guy with no alterier motives?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just looked it up briefly, but maybe the "scheming" part is because he's really the heir to Almyra like the epilogue texts suggest? That's the country that tried to invade the Leicester Alliance, which he claims he's from. Could be wrong, only looked it up briefly, and we lack any kind of context whatsoever

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Like I get it some people keep saying he never struck them as manipulative or shady dude... but they've been using words like, shady, shifty, scheme... poisons... fake smile, shit that is literally used to describe a secretly sinister person, or person with sinister, malicious or selfish motives.

Which is why I'm so insanely confused as to why he's essentially just the "shonen/friendship" choice. Like if he is then why the hell do they keep highlighting that he can't be trusted!? Why say "Oh he can't be trusted" then promote (and seemingly) have him be all power of friendship!? Like it's not like they're using words that indicate that he's just guarded and secretive... they're specifically using words like scheme, and talking about how his smile seems fake...

It's like saying Griffith in Berserk wasn't a malicious, self centered jerk and we had no reason to believe he was despite the constant forshadowing that he saw his "friends" as pawns.

Like I want somebody to tell me to my face that I'm crazy for suspecting that the "friendship is our power!" Line is just him being manipulative based on literally every single piece of promotional material that's come out about him!? Am I the only person who feels like they portrayed him wrong in promotional material, if it's true that he just ends up neutral and friendship oriented?

Bobcat Fancy

Jul 21, 2019
Does anyone have Sothis's s-rank convo available? Rhea's? I'm having a conversation with someone who is saying that there are other platonic s-ranks aside from Alois and Gilbert. That isn't true, is it, even if the supports don't end in post-game marriage or coupling?

Oct 25, 2017
So the one review was pretty down on certain aspects of the post timeskip story, especially mentioning that one of the back eagles routes is only 18 chapters, and just abruptly ends with poorly done death scenes done fire emblem heroes style...

One of the two splitting routes has 24 chapters (each chapter is a month of gameplay,) with many animated cutscenes, plot surprises, and a somewhat satisfying (if not fully satisfying) ending. Character motivations are explored and you learn a lot about the state of the world.

The other is 18 chapters, suddenly ends, kills major, major characters without even a cutscene (just a still image and voice acting,) does not explore the world, and doesn't even address major plot points.

The in a descriptor at the end they mention which routes are good plays and which are bad
BE (With): Short, touches on very little
BE (Against): Full, relatively satisfying conclusion
GD: Haven't seen personally, but my understanding is that it's a pretty good ending by people who have
BL: Like BE With, very frustrating and just randomly ends

"With" though isnt descriptive enough for me...it most likely means with the black eagles, but I could also read the second as Black eagles against the church.

Seems more easily read that playing the Edelgard path results in only 18 chapters and an unsatisfying ending with almost no cutscenes...

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah read that earlier too. It seems it's basically the opposite of what people thought in here. Apparently Black Eagle and Blue lions are short and don't explain the story at all. Golden Deer and Church are supposedly better.

That doesn't seem very enticing. What happens when you go against Black Eagles? You lose all of the students?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah read that earlier too. It seems it's basically the opposite of what people thought in here. Apparently Black Eagle and Blue lions are short and don't explain the story at all. Golden Deer and Church are supposedly better.

That doesn't seem very enticing. What happens when you go against Black Eagles? You lose all of the students?
Yea this is pretty hype deflating...

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Wow... That's lame. So the choices vary in quality. This is lame. Like why make so many routes when only really two of them are really of any quality... Woof... I don't know how fun this will be if BL, and BE have unceremonious killing of major characters, and no cutscenes...

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018

You only lose Edelgard and Hubert.

However I kind of think that (With) means "With Church". Unless it was already confirmed to mean "With Edelgard", that would make more sense to me.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
So the one review was pretty down on certain aspects of the post timeskip story, especially mentioning that one of the back eagles routes is only 18 chapters, and just abruptly ends with poorly done death scenes done fire emblem heroes style...

The in a descriptor at the end they mention which routes are good plays and which are bad

"With" though isnt descriptive enough for me...it most likely means with the black eagles, but I could also read the second as Black eagles against the church.

Seems more easily read that playing the Edelgard path results in only 18 chapters and an unsatisfying ending with almost no cutscenes...

I know BE against the Church has an ending CG and I don't think BE with the Church does (at least, but an obvious one like BE Against) so, yeah, it's a hard tell on what the author means.

I'm going Church route first so, I guess I'll find out

EDIT: Oh and I know Church route has a scene that's exactly the same in Church and Deers just with different NPCs so that also makes me feel it isn't boding well for it being the unique one

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see soon enough I guess. I'm hesitating between BE and GD. I think I'll go with BE as I have time to reach the splitting point anyway.

A bit bummed by many reviewers saying the game is easy even on hard. At least they are patching more options later. I guess the way the game works with units and the teaching system it was inevitable unless there was some intense micromanaging required to be able to win.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Did we ever get a follow up on what the sauna monastery location is/how to unlock it? Last I remember hearing about it is that the AMA guy never saw it even though most monastary things unlock early.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this info is already in the thread, but I'm not actually reading it since I want to avoid story spoilers, so could someone just answer the following question for me: sounds like there are four routes, right? And heard that two of them are Black Eagle routes, yeah? So how does that work? Can you branch into either of the Black Eagle routes at any time, or is only one available at first until you beat all three houses, and then the second Black Eagles route is like a true path?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this info is already in the thread, but I'm not actually reading it since I want to avoid story spoilers, so could someone just answer the following question for me: sounds like there are four routes, right? And heard that two of them are Black Eagle routes, yeah? So how does that work? Can you branch into either of the Black Eagle routes at any time, or is only one available at first until you beat all three houses, and then the second Black Eagles route is like a true path?

You get a climactic choice in Black Eagles which locks you on to one or the other. It clearly marks the choice as well

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I don't think that this is anything to worry about tbh, every other review I've seen that's played these routes had great things to say about them.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be pretty upset if Blue Lions is that much shorter. I can deal with unanswered questions and an unsatisfying conclusion, but if it's actually just missing a ton of the timeskip year I'll be sad.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be pretty upset if Blue Lions is that much shorter. I can deal with unanswered questions and an unsatisfying conclusion, but if it's actually just missing a ton of the timeskip year I'll be sad.
I dont know if anyone has confirmed that blue lions path is shorter yet, just that black eagles is, so im already salty

Nov 13, 2017
Which of the three houses is the one that gives you the finale with the cutscenes? I'm hearing only one of the houses has animated stuff and the majority of the content?

Oct 25, 2017
Which of the three houses is the one that gives you the finale with the cutscenes? I'm hearing only one of the houses has animated stuff and the majority of the content?
the should all have animated endings, the complaint from the 1 reviewer is that some routes have less animated scenes and that certain major moments in some routes were not animated and diminished their effect

Oct 27, 2017
Dimitri's ending was...very disappointing. It just ended with him stabbing Edelgard, a painting with a voice over saying things were chill under his rule, and credits.

They really couldn't have offered more? The fact that reviewers as well saying the other routes also just suddenly end has me even more curious as to how there isn't a True Ending route. I mean Fates had a similar issue, but the Revelations ending was much longer than that of Conquest and Birthright.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Dimitri's ending was...very disappointing. It just ended with him stabbing Edelgard, a painting with a voice over saying things were chill under his rule, and credits.

They really couldn't have offered more? The fact that reviewers as well saying the other routes also just suddenly end has me even more curious as to how there isn't a True Ending route. I mean Fates had a similar issue, but the Revelations ending was much longer than that of Conquest and Birthright.

Damn. So it really just abruptly ends huh? That's very disappointing

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017

idk dude that BL scene is pretty powerful in context

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Do we have any idea what Claude's route is about? The others seem more-or-less known at this point, but with Claude we know next to nothing exceptr for the fact that he fights this game's "evil lord" big bad.

DrStrange87

The Fallen
Feb 8, 2018
Sorry if it's been discussed before but it's about recruiting students from another house. Is there a in depth article or post about everything about it? If not...

I plan to start playing on normal mode, is there any time limit to get characters I want?

Stats on Byleth can depend on recruiting I've read, will this get in the way permanently on how I want to customize Byleth?

Is gaining their support by giving them things and such a better way to avoid that if so?

Going Blue Lion and would like to recruit some people from Black Eagle, mainly magic users.

Oct 27, 2017
To those still interested, here are the endings:

Kind of stinks that outside of the Church route, everyone else's ending is just them taking down the final boss, and that's it.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Other screenshots of dialogue we've seen are fine - for example, the conversation with the 3 lords post meeting, or Edelgard's C support snips.
That particular scene seems to me like it's missing context, like she could be describing him, saying what she knows (thus making it a mini bio).

I just wanted to confirm that your suspicions were correct. While I didn't run into that specific dialogue, the writing on a whole is actually pretty good. Solid localization job on this one!

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Found the spoiler thread finally!

A Question friends, I've seen a CG confirming that Jeritza is Mercedes' brother. Does anyone know how to get that scene?