• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Purging the weak? Yeah, sounds like Dimitri's (and Claudes?) route has Edelgard snapping, as the "powerful" ruling over the weak or having the weak removed sounds exactly like what was done to her.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a person, with a mommy complex big enough to put her deceased mother's (un)dead heart into a newborn in the hope that said heart and it's will are going to take over the body, is someone i would call sane to begin with.

It's like with Camilla ... having big mental issues to begin with, yet she only really shows it in Birthrights.
To add to this
it's not the first time, either. Byleth is her 13th attempt at this.

I have to agree with Poodlestrike though, having read all the spoilers that I have going through. She definitely goes too far in some routes, but I don't think Edelgard is wrong in what she's doing, and in I know for a fact in the Church and Deer routes, the good ending is based off groundwork that she did.

On the matter of Rhea, she was not only experimenting on making artificial life, in the Church route when she loses control of her Crest many people in the Knights of Seiros she gave her blood/Crest to mutate into monsters so she was definitely doing some experimentation of her own on that front.

Lysithea and Edelgard's experimentation though was done by Those Who Slither who are associated with the Prime Minister of the Empire and his faction, rather than Edelgard's faction (Her father was opposed but, had no power to stop it after the Insurrection). There's a lot of Crest eugenics that go on too, on the more mundane side of Crest fuckery, lots of women being married for their Crest lineage and then abused and abandoned when they have children with Crests or Crestless children having the same fate.

Oh btw. Nightcrawlers (we still call them that?) related:

We now know that Thomas is indeed Solon.

Has the theory of Jeralt = Thales been confirmed or refuted?
And has something leaked wether or not Kronya is based on another char?

Jeralt is not Thales, and Monica is Kronya. The game refers to them as 'those who slither in the darkness'

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Rhea's transformation at the end of Eldegard's route is due to the power of the corpse of the goddess though, and yeah, by that point Rhea needs to be put down, but it's not the status quo elsewhere.

Also, I think you're mixing up the elements there regarding Byleth, here's the text dump about the reveal.

You will know the truth about your identity...\nI will hold nothing back.
I...created you. And within you is the Crest Stone\nof the progenitor god...
I hid the Crest Stone within your heart in order to\nrevive her.
Sweet child... I am sorry.
I wanted to see her...see my mother...even if it meant\ndoing that which is forbidden.
What does it all mean?
I thought that I could regain all I had lost, if only I\ncould revive my mother...
And so I tried to bring her back by creating a body,\nand then burying a Crest Stone within it.
A young woman I created...my twelfth try after\nmuch heartache...was a failure.
She grew up lacking the conscience of the progenitor\ngod and fell in love with the captain of the Knights\nof Seiros.
In time, she became pregnant...but she and the child\nwere not able to survive the birth.
The child she bore was not breathing, and she herself\nwas in grave danger.
The new mother pleaded with me to take the Crest\nStone of the progenitor god from her own body and\nplace it within the baby.
If I had done nothing, both mother and child would\nhave died. And so I granted her final wish.
As she had hoped, the baby started breathing again...\nThe new life was saved. Your life, sweet child.
Well before that, I had saved Jeralt's life using\nthe power of my blood.
That means you are the child of a mother born of the\nprogenitor god's Crest Stone and a father who\ncarried my own blood.
I knew, deep in my heart, that you would be capable\nof housing the conscience of the progenitor god.
I was right... And yet, she merely gifted her power\nto you and then disappeared once more.

Byleth wouldn't even be alive if it weren't for her experiment.

The question isn't would he have liked to reform things, it's would he have been able to. I'm sure his dad was a great guy too, but he didn't have the chance. Nor did his dad, and so on. Running a kingdom doesn't leave a lot of time for fixing the rest of the world, absent a big disruption that makes change easy... Like, for example, the largest power on the continent turning on the local chief cultural institution.

We don't really know if his dad was ever pushing for reforms though. Dimitri was Eldegard's childhood friend even before the experiments done to her and saw the result of that. He also seems to have trauma from other deaths around him. There are also some lines suggesting that the empire was in decadence, so he could still have ended up as the biggest power in the continent even without a war.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
To add to this
it's not the first time, either. Byleth is her 13th attempt at this.

Jeralt is not Thales, and Monica is Kronya. The game refers to them as 'those who slither in the darkness'

Damn ... straight up female Mithos Yggdrasill ...

And thanks for the Nightdudes info. I suggest we agree on a nickname though, "Those who slither in the darkness" is a bit to much for me, and TWSITD is ... too abstract. ^^

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Rhea's transformation at the end of Eldegard's route is due to the power of the corpse of the goddess though, and yeah, by that point Rhea needs to be put down, but it's not the status quo elsewhere.

Also, I think you're mixing up the elements there regarding Byleth, here's the text dump about the reveal.

I wanted to see her...see my mother...even if it meant\ndoing that which is forbidden.
What does it all mean?
I thought that I could regain all I had lost, if only I\ncould revive my mother...
And so I tried to bring her back by creating a body,\nand then burying a Crest Stone within it.
She grew up lacking the conscience of the progenitor\ngod and fell in love with the captain of the Knights\nof Seiros.
In time, she became pregnant...but she and the child\nwere not able to survive the birth.
The new mother pleaded with me to take the Crest\nStone of the progenitor god from her own body and\nplace it within the baby.
If I had done nothing, both mother and child would\nhave died. And so I granted her final wish.
As she had hoped, the baby started breathing again...\nThe new life was saved. Your life, sweet child.
That means you are the child of a mother born of the\nprogenitor god's Crest Stone and a father who\ncarried my own blood.
I knew, deep in my heart, that you would be capable\nof housing the conscience of the progenitor god.
I was right... And yet, she merely gifted her power\nto you and then disappeared once more.

We don't really know if his dad was ever pushing for reforms though. Dimitri was Eldegard's childhood friend even before the experiments done to her and saw the result of that. He also seems to have trauma from other deaths around him. There are also some lines suggesting that the empire was in decadence, so he could still have ended up as the biggest power in the continent even without a war.
My point was more that wanting to change things and having the power and opportunity to do so are very different things. I don't think Dimitri has the latter two at once without Edelgard shaking things up.

Oct 25, 2017
1563939372223.png

Dimitri and Edelgard
I haven't been following spoilers closely. Can we get them to get together or make up or are they just doomed to kill each other?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
My point was more that wanting to change things and having the power and opportunity to do so are very different things. I don't think Dimitri has the latter two at once without Edelgard shaking things up.

Pretty sure that with the empire still loyal, Rhea would've just ordered a crusade against Faerghus if Dimitri would've acted up. Claude might've more of a chance with a loyal empire, considering that he has another country as a backup force behind him.

I haven't been following spoilers closely. Can we get them to get together or make up or are they just doomed to kill each other?

Spoilered:

If i don't mix things up, Edelgard dies in all routes but her own, and Dimitri dies in Edelgards main route.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

What does it all mean?

Rhea transforms in the Church route as well, crazed by the power of her Crest after taking a mortal wound, and putting her down is the final chapter (though she does seem to survive this in some endings). These are the ending texts for the Church route

A rising flame was alight as the flow of time carved\na new history for Fódlan.
Rhea's wild rampage was put to an end, averting\nwhat could have been the greatest crisis in the\nhistory of Fódlan. After five and a half years of war,\na new age was set to begin.
The Empire, Kingdom, and Alliance—all political\nstructures that had once shaped the continent—were\ngone. A unified nation began to take shape under the\nwatchful eye of the Church of Seiros.
The church's new leader became a champion of the\npeople, working tirelessly to help them overcome the\nhorrors of war and to carve out a path towards\nreconstruction.
Just as Saint Seiros tended to those whosuffered in\nwars of the past, Fódlan's new ruler embraced their\nrole as mother of all life and arbiter of every soul.

S0 defeated those who slither in the dark\nand put down the crazed Immaculate One. In the\naftermath of the loss of Fódlan's great leading figures,\nEK00heEL00sheEM00 ascended the throne as the first leader of the\nUnited Kingdom of Fódlan. In EK00hisEL00herEM00 heart lived the\nindelible hope that their efforts would one day yield\nan era in which the people knew true peace and the\nhorrors of war were a hazy memory of the past.

Honestly though? I think being dead is a better fate than what Rhea had planned for Byleth personally, but that's my feelings on it

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Rhea transforms in the Church route as well, crazed by the power of her Crest after taking a mortal wound, and putting her down is the final chapter (though she does seem to survive this in some endings). These are the ending texts for the Church route

A rising flame was alight as the flow of time carved\na new history for Fódlan.
Rhea's wild rampage was put to an end, averting\nwhat could have been the greatest crisis in the\nhistory of Fódlan. After five and a half years of war,\na new age was set to begin.
The Empire, Kingdom, and Alliance—all political\nstructures that had once shaped the continent—were\ngone. A unified nation began to take shape under the\nwatchful eye of the Church of Seiros.
The church's new leader became a champion of the\npeople, working tirelessly to help them overcome the\nhorrors of war and to carve out a path towards\nreconstruction.
Just as Saint Seiros tended to those whosuffered in\nwars of the past, Fódlan's new ruler embraced their\nrole as mother of all life and arbiter of every soul.

S0 defeated those who slither in the dark\nand put down the crazed Immaculate One. In the\naftermath of the loss of Fódlan's great leading figures,\nEK00heEL00sheEM00 ascended the throne as the first leader of the\nUnited Kingdom of Fódlan. In EK00hisEL00herEM00 heart lived the\nindelible hope that their efforts would one day yield\nan era in which the people knew true peace and the\nhorrors of war were a hazy memory of the past.

Honestly though? I think being dead is a better fate than what Rhea had planned for Byleth personally, but that's my feelings on it
Question for you... Do we know that Edelgard necessarily dies in Claude's route? I saw a thing you posted yesterday about Hubert reaching out to explain her actions and help move the plot along after she dies, and it read to me a little like the kind of thing you do when players make an inconvenient choice and they need to write a new source for necessary exposition that originally came from another character. Wondering if my instinct is right or if she 100% has to bite it in every route but her own.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Question for you... Do we know that Edelgard necessarily dies in Claude's route? I saw a thing you posted yesterday about Hubert reaching out to explain her actions and help move the plot along after she dies, and it read to me a little like the kind of thing you do when players make an inconvenient choice and they need to write a new source for necessary exposition that originally came from another character. Wondering if my instinct is right or if she 100% has to bite it in every route but her own.

Yeah, the objective of that battle was to defeat Edelgard and rescue Rhea. The Deer want her to surrender, and express that they didn't want it to go the way it did after her death. Hubert dies before her, so its not him reaching out per se, but a contingency plan letter to be delivered in case of defeat. This same event happens in the Church route, and is what leads Claude and the Church to Those Who Slither.

Now, I haven't looked through all 1500+ files so, there may be a variant file in there somewhere I'll admit, but on Edelgard's route, killing Claude is optional, and the conversation followup file to that has both the Claude Lives and the Claude is Dead variants in it, so I'm thinking she's well and truly dead

Edit: put eagles instead of deer, don't mind me I'm sleepy

Last edited:

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
hard doubt at Byleth and/or a future successor not eventually going crazy like Rhea in the other endings tbh

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the objective of that battle was to defeat Edelgard and rescue Rhea. The Eagles want her to surrender, and express that they didn't want it to go the way it did after her death. Hubert dies before her, so its not him reaching out per se, but a contingency plan letter to be delivered in case of defeat. This same event happens in the Church route, and is what leads Claude and the Church to Those Who Slither.

Now, I haven't looked through all 1500+ files so, there may be a variant file in there somewhere I'll admit, but on Edelgard's route, killing Claude is optional, and the conversation followup file to that has both the Claude Lives and the Claude is Dead variants in it, so I'm thinking she's well and truly dead
Ah man, that's a bummer.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Ah man, that's a bummer.
Actually from the text files what happens to Edelgard on Deer route is she kills Dimitri and then retreats from a battle with Claude, in the epilogue of the route she gets murdered by Dedue

Dedue saw to it that Edelgard was destroyed before he departed. >His expression once his mission was over... was a bit lonely. I don't know where he went off to after that. Maybe he returned home to Duscur.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
hard doubt at Byleth and/or a future successor not eventually going crazy like Rhea in the other endings tbh
Good point!
So overall, how are we liking the story based on spoilers?
Seems like it's gonna be damn good. Kind of heartbreaking if you're fond of all the characters, though.
Actually from the text files what happens to Edelgard on Deer route is she kills Dimitri and then retreats from a battle with Claude, in the epilogue of the route she gets murdered by Dedue

Dedue saw to it that Edelgard was destroyed before he departed. >His expression once his mission was over... was a bit lonely. I don't know where he went off to after that. Maybe he returned home to Duscur.
Okay, that's interesting as hell. There really is a lot of variability here.

Man I'm so hyped.

Last edited:

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

It could mean her body? The pre and post battle text is pretty clear.

Is everyone ready?
The objective of this battle is to defeat Edelgard\nand rescue Rhea.
According to the information Dedue gave us,\nthe throne room is directly north of the\ncastle's main entrance.
It's safe to assume that's where Edelgard is.
I don't want to kill Edelgard.
Is there no way to walk the same path as Edelgard?
She's a fellow student to all of us. If there's a path\nthat we can walk together, that would be preferable.
But that all depends on Edelgard. If she won't yield,\nthen that's that.
If showing pity would put my allies in danger,\nI will not hesitate to kill her.
I ask that you and everyone here prepare yourselves\nto do the same.
Understood. I think I speak for everyone when I say\nthat we are prepared.
The future of the Alliance—no, of Fódlan—is at\nstake. I have been prepared for this my whole life.
Captain Jeralt taught me that indecisiveness is\na weakness. One must cast aside their doubts\nbefore fighting.
The lives of Lady Rhea and everyone here are more\nimportant than all else. I shall be prepared.
You know what? I wouldn't be surprised if she took\none look at my overstuffed muscles and surrendered\nin tears, then and there!
I really hope that Edelgard will yield...
Edelgard is a stubborn one. I don't think she's likely\nto surrender.
Goddess... Please protect us...
I...I'll fight with all I got to save Lady Rhea!
Rescuing Lady Rhea is my dearest wish.\nWe must prevail, no matter what it takes.
In the name of the Knights of Seiros, we'll bring the\nhammer down on the Imperial army!
Satisfied yet, boy? Everyone made up their minds a\nlong time ago.
OK. Let's get started. We're yours to command,\nmy friend.
Leave it to me.
Everyone, take your positions! The battle is upon us!

It's over. We were only able to beat her because\nof you.
This wasn't the conclusion I had hoped for.\nEven though... I... Never mind. It's over now.
The important thing is that we won.
Here, boy. A letter. An Imperial general asked me\nto give it to you.
A letter? Let's see it.
It looks like it's from...Hubert. Edelgard's vassal.
If you are reading this letter, that means I have\nperished. As Her Majesty would never surrender\nto another, I can only assume she has fallen as well.
It greatly pains me to think of this coming to pass...
That said, as the survivors, I must ask you to settle\ncertain affairs in our stead.
You must destroy the threat that slithers in the dark.
I am sure you must recall Monica and Tomas.\nTheir allies yet live.
They hold deep resentment against the children of\nthe goddess and the people of the world, and they\nare biding their time until they can exact revenge.
If left to their own devices, it is certain they will\neventually bring unimaginable calamity and\nsuffering to the world.
I detected their sorcery when you took Fort Merceus.
I have deduced the location of their stronghold,\nShambhala. You will find its whereabouts enclosed.
There is no question that they are the enemies of\neveryone in Fódlan. Do not allow yourselves to\nforget that.
Lastly... While I cannot say she is in good health,\nthe archbishop resides in a secret chamber in the\nImperial palace.
I have shared the location of the entrance to that\nsecret chamber with the person to whom I have\nentrusted this letter.
I believe that Her Majesty will be victorious...\nEven still, I must plan for her defeat as well.
If you wish to lead this world, I challenge you to rise\nto the occasion and surpass my estimation of you.
Such is your obligation as the victors...and the only\nfitting tribute to all that Lady Edelgard sacrificed.
Hubert... To leave a letter like this behind...
You were a better man than I believed you to be.
So, Rhea is alive. And the fight isn't over yet.
Those who slither in the dark... It sounds like Fódlan\nwill never know peace unless we defeat them.
The allies of Monica and Tomas...\nWell, we knew about them already.
I think it's safe to assume this is the same group\nwho used Lysithea for their blood experiments.
And they were also responsible for the javelins of\nlight that destroyed the fortress.
But who are these "children of the goddess,"\nwho they supposedly resent?
There's just not enough information here. I don't\nsuppose there's any chance that this is his idea of\na prank... If so, wow. Good one.
Hubert... Rather than writing a letter, you should\nhave just told us before we fought...
Let's ask Rhea about it.
Right. We still don't know for sure if this letter is\ntelling the truth. Let's go find out.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
]
It could mean her body? The pre and post battle text is pretty clear.

Is everyone ready?
The objective of this battle is to defeat Edelgard\nand rescue Rhea.
According to the information Dedue gave us,\nthe throne room is directly north of the\ncastle's main entrance.
It's safe to assume that's where Edelgard is.
I don't want to kill Edelgard.
Is there no way to walk the same path as Edelgard?
She's a fellow student to all of us. If there's a path\nthat we can walk together, that would be preferable.
But that all depends on Edelgard. If she won't yield,\nthen that's that.
If showing pity would put my allies in danger,\nI will not hesitate to kill her.
I ask that you and everyone here prepare yourselves\nto do the same.
Understood. I think I speak for everyone when I say\nthat we are prepared.
The future of the Alliance—no, of Fódlan—is at\nstake. I have been prepared for this my whole life.
Captain Jeralt taught me that indecisiveness is\na weakness. One must cast aside their doubts\nbefore fighting.
The lives of Lady Rhea and everyone here are more\nimportant than all else. I shall be prepared.
You know what? I wouldn't be surprised if she took\none look at my overstuffed muscles and surrendered\nin tears, then and there!
I really hope that Edelgard will yield...
Edelgard is a stubborn one. I don't think she's likely\nto surrender.
Goddess... Please protect us...
I...I'll fight with all I got to save Lady Rhea!
Rescuing Lady Rhea is my dearest wish.\nWe must prevail, no matter what it takes.
In the name of the Knights of Seiros, we'll bring the\nhammer down on the Imperial army!
Satisfied yet, boy? Everyone made up their minds a\nlong time ago.
OK. Let's get started. We're yours to command,\nmy friend.
Leave it to me.
Everyone, take your positions! The battle is upon us!

It's over. We were only able to beat her because\nof you.
This wasn't the conclusion I had hoped for.\nEven though... I... Never mind. It's over now.
The important thing is that we won.
Here, boy. A letter. An Imperial general asked me\nto give it to you.
A letter? Let's see it.
It looks like it's from...Hubert. Edelgard's vassal.
If you are reading this letter, that means I have\nperished. As Her Majesty would never surrender\nto another, I can only assume she has fallen as well.
It greatly pains me to think of this coming to pass...
That said, as the survivors, I must ask you to settle\ncertain affairs in our stead.
You must destroy the threat that slithers in the dark.
I am sure you must recall Monica and Tomas.\nTheir allies yet live.
They hold deep resentment against the children of\nthe goddess and the people of the world, and they\nare biding their time until they can exact revenge.
If left to their own devices, it is certain they will\neventually bring unimaginable calamity and\nsuffering to the world.
I detected their sorcery when you took Fort Merceus.
I have deduced the location of their stronghold,\nShambhala. You will find its whereabouts enclosed.
There is no question that they are the enemies of\neveryone in Fódlan. Do not allow yourselves to\nforget that.
Lastly... While I cannot say she is in good health,\nthe archbishop resides in a secret chamber in the\nImperial palace.
I have shared the location of the entrance to that\nsecret chamber with the person to whom I have\nentrusted this letter.
I believe that Her Majesty will be victorious...\nEven still, I must plan for her defeat as well.
If you wish to lead this world, I challenge you to rise\nto the occasion and surpass my estimation of you.
Such is your obligation as the victors...and the only\nfitting tribute to all that Lady Edelgard sacrificed.
Hubert... To leave a letter like this behind...
You were a better man than I believed you to be.
So, Rhea is alive. And the fight isn't over yet.
Those who slither in the dark... It sounds like Fódlan\nwill never know peace unless we defeat them.
The allies of Monica and Tomas...\nWell, we knew about them already.
I think it's safe to assume this is the same group\nwho used Lysithea for their blood experiments.
And they were also responsible for the javelins of\nlight that destroyed the fortress.
But who are these "children of the goddess,"\nwho they supposedly resent?
There's just not enough information here. I don't\nsuppose there's any chance that this is his idea of\na prank... If so, wow. Good one.
Hubert... Rather than writing a letter, you should\nhave just told us before we fought...
Let's ask Rhea about it.
Right. We still don't know for sure if this letter is\ntelling the truth. Let's go find out.
Welp back to being bummed out. Hope there's some hidden way in the file somewhere to have her live in Claude's route, at least.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say something about all that I read, but if anyone has any information that clears up what I'm saying, feel free to share it:

Edelgard pretty much dying in every route but her own pretty much makes any sort of "moral ambiguity" that they were going for in this game kind of irrelevant.

Throughout the game's promotion, they really made it out to be that each of the house leaders have their own problems, but it feels like it's becoming more and more apparent that Edelgard's outweighs that of Dimitri and Claude's, possible outweighing them combined too. Ultimately, Edelgard being this unanimously awful person really makes the whole "every route has a bittersweet ending," pointless when the game kind of points pretty clearly to one person causing more damage than the rest.

This response definitely comes from a place where I'm upset that there is no true ending, but it just sounds so awkward that the Black Eagles and Blue Lions route seem pretty much wholly based on politics, and that the Church and Golden Deer routes are mostly focused on the mythological aspect of the world.

I wish there was a balance between the two in order for things to make more sense, because as of right now, it seems like the former two are just kind of doing things similar to Fates, and they decided to introduce the latter two routes in order to make it so that the game doesn't seem as similar to Fates; I mean, Fates in the Conquest and Birthright routes pretty much had no mythology involved in them, and it was only until the Revelations route that that element became prevalent, but even Revelations with its poor writing had a balance between politics and mythology.

I will admit, it does seem like the Golden Deer and Church routes do have some elements of politics involved, but it feels less like it's integrated with the main goal of the route, and more so that they just have to deal with it to continue on to the bigger problem.

Still excited for the game, just not a big fan of how they decided to handle the endings for each route.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say something about all that I read, but if anyone has any information that clears up what I'm saying, feel free to share it:

Edelgard pretty much dying in every route but her own pretty much makes any sort of "moral ambiguity" that they were going for in this game kind of irrelevant.

Throughout the game's promotion, they really made it out to be that each of the house leaders have their own problems, but it feels like it's becoming more and more apparent that Edelgard's outweighs that of Dimitri and Claude's, possible outweighing them combined too. Ultimately, Edelgard being this unanimously awful person really makes the whole "every route has a bittersweet ending," pointless when the game kind of points pretty clearly to one person causing more damage than the rest.

This response definitely comes from a place where I'm upset that there is no true ending, but it just sounds so awkward that the Black Eagles and Blue Lions route seem pretty much wholly based on politics, and that the Church and Golden Deer routes are mostly focused on the mythological aspect of the world. I wish there was a balance between the two in order for things to make more sense, because as of right now, it seems like the former two are just kind of doing things similar to Fates, and they decided to introduce the latter two routes in order to make it so that the game doesn't seem as similar to Fates; I mean, Fates in the Conquest and Birthright routes pretty much had no mythology involved in them, and it was only until the Revelations route that that element became prevalent, but even Revelations with its poor writing had a balance between politics and mythology.

Still excited for the game, just not a big fan of how they decided to handle the endings for each route.
I would honestly argue that none of them are all that politics focused, or not exclusively so. Maybe Dimitri. All the others are focused around fighting big mythological forces, albeit approaching things from different ends - only Dimitri has a modern human adversary as the big bad.

And I'd kind of disagree with Edelgard being unanimously evil lol. She's the driving force in all of the plots, but it's kind of only in Dimitri's route that she goes all the way off the rails.

Last edited:

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I would honestly argue that Dlnonr of them are all that politics focused, or not exclusively so. Maybe Dimitri. All the others are focused around fighting big mythological forces, albeit approaching things from different ends - only Dimitri has a modern human adversary as the big bad.

And I'd kind of disagree with Edelgard being unanimously evil lol. She's the driving force in all of the plots, but it's kind of only in Dimitri's route that she goes all the way off the rails.
I mean she attempts to do it in Claude's and Rhea's, she just fails. The point of it is that Edelgard and Dimitri will always die when you don't choose them because their routes are a lot about their ideological conflict and how they can't compromise their ideals no matter what, which leads to death when they don't win

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean she attempts to do it in Claude's and Rhea's, she just fails. The point of it is that Edelgard and Dimitri will always die when you don't choose them because their routes are a lot about their ideological conflict and how they can't compromise their ideals no matter what, which leads to death when they don't win
Mm. I can see that reasoning. Hadn't realized that Dimitri was also guaranteed to die outside of his routes.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

This response definitely comes from a place where I'm upset that there is no true ending, but it just sounds so awkward that the Black Eagles and Blue Lions route seem pretty much wholly based on politics, and that the Church and Golden Deer routes are mostly focused on the mythological aspect of the world.

I wish there was a balance between the two in order for things to make more sense, because as of right now, it seems like the former two are just kind of doing things similar to Fates, and they decided to introduce the latter two routes in order to make it so that the game doesn't seem as similar to Fates; I mean, Fates in the Conquest and Birthright routes pretty much had no mythology involved in them, and it was only until the Revelations route that that element became prevalent, but even Revelations with its poor writing had a balance between politics and mythology.

I will admit, it does seem like the Golden Deer and Church routes do have some elements of politics involved, but it feels less like it's integrated with the main goal of the route, and more so that they just have to deal with it to continue on to the bigger problem.

We're still probably missing a bit of context, but Edelgard's backstory is pretty compelling on why she is so determined to tear down the crest/church system - and as such, why she would not stand down in Dimitri's route.

She goes off the rails in said route, but I'm not sure how her death is arranged in Claude's route.

I do kind of agree that her being the hidden 'driving force' that is the lynchpin is a little much, but not out of the question.

The point of it is that Edelgard and Dimitri will always die when you don't choose them

I can't confirm, but I thought I had read that you might have the option to spare Dimitri in Claude's route?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The major thing that I'm noticing so far is that Claude is just kind of there. He has no personal stake in the major conflict as far as I can tell and he just gets swept up in Edelgard's and Dimitri's nonsense.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
We're still probably missing a bit of context, but Edelgard's backstory is pretty compelling on why she is so determined to tear down the crest/church system - and as such, why she would not stand down in Dimitri's route.

She goes off the rails in said route, but I'm not sure how her death is arranged in Claude's route.

I do kind of agree that her being the hidden 'driving force' that is the lynchpin is a little much, but not out of the question.

I can't confirm, but I thought I had read that you might have the option to spare Dimitri in Claude's route?
Edelgard kills Dimitri in Claude's route

Oct 27, 2017

Definitely agree on the missing context, and it's honestly why I'm going with her route first (probably will be more emotional to see her fate in the other three routes as a result); but as you said, it feels like they still may have gone a bit overboard with her being "evil." I at least which Claude had some sort of involvement in perpetuating all of this, but it really feels like he's just another sort of "good guy" route. Feels even more confusing given all the promo material, including his title in Heroes, is that he's a schemer. He even makes poison in Heroes' Forging Bonds event!

The major thing that I'm noticing so far is that Claude is just kind of there. He has no personal stake in the major conflict as far as I can tell and he just gets swept up in Edelgard's and Dimitri's nonsense.

That's what I've been noticing too unfortunately, which again is weird given that (see last two sentences of paragraph above). I guess they needed a route to take down the big bad, but it feels like they could've just left that for a true ending route? Honestly, now I'm just going to be impatiently waiting for the next Nintendo Direct because if they do announce a true ending DLC expansion, it'll probably be there.

Does Dimitri die in the Church route? Honestly, both his and Edelgard's deaths in the Golden Deer route sounds like some "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet," stuff.

I would honestly argue that none of them are all that politics focused, or not exclusively so. Maybe Dimitri. All the others are focused around fighting big mythological forces, albeit approaching things from different ends - only Dimitri has a modern human adversary as the big bad.

I see other people have responded to you, but unfortunately it does seem like Edelgard is trying to cause trouble in pretty much everyone else's route. And I'd still say that the Black Eagles route, while it's fighting against a mythology, does so in sort of a politics-framed manner. When I was talking about Golden Deer and the Church route, I was thinking mythology in the sense of "Dragons! Demons! Evil!" as we see in supposedly fighting Nemesis and Those Who Slither in them respectively.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard has a very good reason to hate Crests, after the Insurrection of the Seven, the Prime Minister and Those Who Slither took all of the Emperor's children and experimented on and tortured all 10 or 11 of them to give them a second Crest, also sacrificing many unrelated innocent people to this goal. Edelgard was the only one to come out intact, and she got to watch all her siblings either die in agony or lose their minds.

There's also a lot of abuse and inequality caused by Crests, for example, Mercedes' mother is married into House Bartels after Mercedes' father dies, but after her little brother is born and has a Crest, Mercedes and her mother are mistreated and eventually have to flee to live in a church as commoners. House Bartels was after the child with the Crest and they had no need of the pair after that. Hanneman's crestless sister also experiences something similar and I think it was him who mentions it's a common story. Lysithea consented to having the Crest experimentation to redeem her family, Marianne is shunned because of her Crest, until she gets a little famous and then her adoptive father wants her back so that he can show her off and parade her around. I'm running off memory here because it's 1am and I'm not at my computer to dig out the text files, I'm in bed haha.

The Church perpetuates the Crest-based society because the Crests are holy gifts from the Goddess in their lore, and Edelgard knows that the Church was originally founded on lies, as the true story of the founding of the Church has been passed down from Emperor to Emperor.

I must sleep though now but I hope this gives a bit more context.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree on the missing context, and it's honestly why I'm going with her route first (probably will be more emotional to see her fate in the other three routes as a result); but as you said, it feels like they still may have gone a bit overboard with her being "evil." I at least which Claude had some sort of involvement in perpetuating all of this, but it really feels like he's just another sort of "good guy" route. Feels even more confusing given all the promo material, including his title in Heroes, is that he's a schemer. He even makes poison in Heroes' Forging Bonds event!

That's what I've been noticing too unfortunately, which again is weird given that (see last two sentences of paragraph above). I guess they needed a route to take down the big bad, but it feels like they could've just left that for a true ending route? Honestly, now I'm just going to be impatiently waiting for the next Nintendo Direct because if they do announce a true ending DLC expansion, it'll probably be there.

Does Dimitri die in the Church route? Honestly, both his and Edelgard's deaths in the Golden Deer route sounds like some "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet," stuff.

I see other people have responded to you, but unfortunately it does seem like Edelgard is trying to cause trouble in pretty much everyone else's route. And I'd still say that the Black Eagles route, while it's fighting against a mythology, does so in sort of a politics-framed manner. When I was talking about Golden Deer and the Church route, I was thinking mythology in the sense of "Dragons! Demons! Evil!" as we see in supposedly fighting Nemesis and Those Who Slither in them respectively.
I mean, she's causing trouble, but if you grant her premise that the current status quo is unacceptable (and it's hard to argue otherwise) then SOMEBODY is gonna have to cause trouble trying to change it. In most of the routes, she's a well intentioned extremist with an army, which is actually kind of unusual since usually those types of characters are in more of a resistance capacity.

As for being politics, I dunno. I'd agree that she's got much more of a driving ideology than we see in the others, who are more generically heroic, but at the end of the day she's fighting dragons and monsters and trying to undo this big magical system. That's pretty mythological to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Edelgard has a very good reason to hate Crests, after the Insurrection of the Seven, the Prime Minister and Those Who Slither took all of the Emperor's children and experimented on and tortured all 10 or 11 of them to give them a second Crest, also sacrificing many unrelated innocent people to this goal. Edelgard was the only one to come out intact, and she got to watch all her siblings either die in agony or lose their minds.

There's also a lot of abuse and inequality caused by Crests, for example, Mercedes' mother is married into House Bartels after Mercedes' father dies, but after her little brother is born and has a Crest, Mercedes and her mother are mistreated and eventually have to flee to live in a church as commoners. House Bartels was after the child with the Crest and they had no need of the pair after that. Hanneman's crestless sister also experiences something similar and I think it was him who mentions it's a common story. Lysithea consented to having the Crest experimentation to redeem her family, Marianne is shunned because of her Crest, until she gets a little famous and then her adoptive father wants her back so that he can show her off and parade her around. I'm running off memory here because it's 1am and I'm not at my computer to dig out the text files, I'm in bed haha.

The Church perpetuates the Crest-based society because the Crests are holy gifts from the Goddess in their lore, and Edelgard knows that the Church was originally founded on lies, as the true story of the founding of the Church has been passed down from Emperor to Emperor.

I must sleep though now but I hope this gives a bit more context.

Been reading up on this, and it is interesting to see Edelgard have good intentions; but it is still kind of upsetting that in every route besides her own, it seems like she gets lost along the way. Dimitri seems to retain his sense of self in the routes that aren't his own, and it doesn't seem he goes full warlord in the Black Eagles route either; heck, from what I've seen, it's not like he says that the Church shouldn't be warformed. And Claude is pretty much Claude the entire game lol. I am interested in seeing how Rhea changes throughout the game, that still feels like there's details that have yet to be shared.

But ultimately, I'm just sad that it seems like in all routes, but her own, Edelgard is done wrong, and just sort of wants to destroy everything in her path.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Been reading up on this, and it is interesting to see Edelgard have good intentions; but it is still kind of upsetting that in every route besides her own, it seems like she gets lost along the way. Dimitri seems to retain his sense of self in the routes that aren't his own, and it doesn't seem he goes full warlord in the Black Eagles route either; heck, from what I've seen, it's not like he says that the Church shouldn't be warformed. And Claude is pretty much Claude the entire game lol. I am interested in seeing how Rhea changes throughout the game, that still feels like there's details that have yet to be shared.

But ultimately, I'm just sad that it seems like in all routes, but her own, Edelgard is done wrong, and just sort of wants to destroy everything in her path.
Dimitri is full mentally broken in Black Eagles route, he's the second to last boss, and he dies in every other route fairly early on. Claude does basically just do Claude shit for every route though, you have the option to spare him and let him flee in BE route, he flees in the church route, and he flees in the BL route. So most routes that aren't his own have Claude going to Almyra.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Really weird that they promoted Claude as this secretly schemeing sinister guy. As somebody else said he makes poisons in Heroes, and is called the "schemer"

He also has a line about you taking a liking to him and how he thinks you should rethink that. Then in his trading card attacks he has an attack called "scheme behind a smile" where he talks about how naive and innocent the othet two are... and how everything is going according to his plan...

Like wtf!? So he's just a generic "I'm just here, why's this happening!?" Character? Then why the heck do they promote this idea that he can't be trusted!?

Oct 27, 2017
Dimitri is full mentally broken in Black Eagles route, he's the second to last boss, and he dies in every other route fairly early on. Claude does basically just do Claude shit for every route though, you have the option to spare him and let him flee in BE route, he flees in the church route, and he flees in the BL route. So most routes that aren't his own have Claude going to Almyra.

Mentally broken definitely, but still kind of felt like he was trying to make things right up until that point? That was the feeling I got at least. Didn't really get that with Edelgard in the other routes. Also kind of stinks to here that Claude really is just there? It's cool you take on Nemesis in his route, but in regards to everything else it sounds like he doesn't have a stake in things.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Mentally broken definitely, but still kind of felt like he was trying to make things right up until that point? That was the feeling I got at least. Didn't really get that with Edelgard in the other routes. Also kind of stinks to here that Claude really is just there? It's cool you take on Nemesis in his route, but in regards to everything else it sounds like he doesn't have a stake in things.
I mean Edelgard isn't totally nuts in Dimitri's rout, a lot of their dialogue just talks about their different views of the world and what method is best to change it. Its less a crazy thing and more of a ideological conflcit, only in the end of the route, where she is desperate and uses Sothis' corpse to transform can you really call her crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Edelgard isn't totally nuts in Dimitri's rout, a lot of their dialogue just talks about their different views of the world and what method is best to change it. Its less a crazy thing and more of a ideological conflcit, only in the end of the route, where she is desperate and uses Sothis' corpse to transform can you really call her crazy.

I'm at least glad to know that in Blue Lions they at least do that, the other two definitely makes her just seem out of control. Speaking of the other two, I can understand how we get from the Church to Those Who Slither, but how do the Golden Deer end up taking on Nemesis? lol

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
Really weird that they promoted Claude as this secretly schemeing sinister guy. As somebody else said he makes poisons in Heroes, and is called the "schemer"

He also has a line about you taking a liking to him and how he thinks you should rethink that. Then in his trading card attacks he has an attack called "scheme behind a smile" where he talks about how naive and innocent the othet two are... and how everything is going according to his plan...

Like wtf!? So he's just a generic "I'm just here, why's this happening!?" Character? Then why the heck do they promote this idea that he can't be trusted!?
i dont get why people got this impression, The new trailer they released before relase made claude seem to be the only good guy (he even says something pertaining to friendships and reminded me of gurren lagann lol).

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
i dont get why people got this impression, The new trailer they released before relase made claude seem to be the only good guy (he even says something pertaining to friendships and reminded me of gurren lagann lol).

Yes, but in literally ALL of the promotional material like I pointed out above, he is depicted as untrustworthy!? How can I not factor that in when they keep going "look at that guy, his smile isn't genuine... he's plotting stuff!" and the line on his trading card calling the other two naive and innocent doesn't sound very FRIENDSHIP! oriented.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Lunatic will get patched post game release, I wonder if this is the highest difficulty setting or?
If there's two unlock able difficulties already, Lunatic makes a lot of sense as a post launch topper to get the diehards back in for one last playthrough. Drive that engagement!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Received my game a while ago, damn the text size... It's no Xenoblade X, but this is nearly as bad...

MegaMelon

Feb 6, 2018
We know who the Flame Emperor is but who is the Death Knight? He can't be a student since you fight him with pretty much all the students across the different routes so I was thinking he's either a Teacher or just completely unrelated to the main cast.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
(images not included)
Honestly, being a lord and not having some secrets would be weird to me lol. he Honestly comes off as someone who always seems to want to think ahead ( For all i know this dlc route people are speculating is claudes actually the big bad). But i honestly never got that impression that claudes in any way a bad person he honestly just comes off as a tricky fighter. And someone who likes to use his head while edelgard and dimitri are more just straight forward in how they do things