• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is disappointing to hear, I actually enjoyed his Reigen performance. Hopefully Nintendo (as well as whoever else hired Chris) swaps him out going forward, which is probably pretty likely for Byleth considering that he also broke NDA.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Was reading the first allegation from one of his exes and couldn't help but lol that he used to snap at his girlfriend for whupping his ass in Smash lmfao. What a loser. *Googles textbook narc* Yup, this guy fits the bill.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Yeah, this sucks ass. Killed any want I had to play the game in English as male Byleth or use him in Heroes. Hope Nintendo notices so they can at least replace the fucker if Byleth ever pops up again.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So it's either listen to a douchebag's voice or use female Byleth and her atrocious design

Fire Emblem was a mistake

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
And just when it seemed this game was controversy free (besides the small and arguable selection of mlm chars)... I was gonna play F!Byleth anyway, but it still sucks hard.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess this solidifies choosing the female main over the male for me.

For future reference, try to include some content in the OP regarding the topic at hand, instead of a link to Reddit. Come on

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Still, thanks for making the thread, OP. I was worried that this would slip under the radar again like last time, but now more people will be made aware of Chris being an asshole.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
What is it that people don't like about female Byleth?

The design looks like the typical FE affair to me. Like a worse version of Lucina but not terrible.

Jul 3, 2019
It's also funny tangentially that IS also had a voice actor that was found out to be a shitty person voicing a main character in another one of their games (Code Named Steam with Adam Baldwin)

Oct 26, 2017
Oh fuck sake. I knew of his trash since like a year or two back. How do these companies have no clue about this? :/

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Fire Emblem Three Homosexual Choices is the curse that keeps on giving.

Fire him.
Considering that he broke NDA, they probably will going forward. I just wish that it didn't come to this.

I know. Chris being a terrible person or an outfit on Byleth?

You really think those are on the same level of bad?
Hell no, it's more like a deadly poison spat at me in bursts vs a semi-deep cut that's always there. I'll probably take the latter.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sucks to hear the guy is an asshole, but don't think it will effect my enjoyment of the game

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Was reading the first allegation from one of his exes and couldn't help but lol that he used to snap at his girlfriend for whupping his ass in Smash lmfao. What a loser. *Googles textbook narc* Yup, this guy fits the bill.

Makes me think of that Restera or NeoGAF member who trashed his basement and punched a hole in the wall or something over fighting games. Wasn't his wife threatening to divorce him over fighting games? I hope that dude got help.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm normally fine with picking female options, but her design in this is terrible.

Hoping he's replaced (which shouldn't be TOO hard since he's a mostly silent protag) but unfortunately Japanese companies would only care if he had done drugs there or something.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I know. Chris being a terrible person or an outfit on Byleth?

You really think those are on the same level of bad?
Being forced to play as a sexualized character might not be as bad but is still bad. That coupled with the fact that Byleth is mostly silent makes me still choose the male option.

No wonder why rest of the voice actors were announced early and there being dead silence on M!Byleth that day. This is extremely unfortunate timing.

As for "separating the art from the creator", I personally find it hard to distinguish a character from an actor.

IntSys really can't catch a break regarding the misconduct of some of the voice actors in their games, huh? We first had Adam Baldwin, then Orion Acaba, now Niosi.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Worth noting that Three Houses has dual audio, so if people don't want to hear Niosi and don't want to play as female Byleth you can swap to the Japanese voices.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm normally fine with picking female options, but her design in this is terrible.

Hoping he's replaced (which shouldn't be TOO hard since he's a mostly silent protag) but unfortunately Japanese companies would only care if he had done drugs there or something.
The NDA thing alone is probably gonna get him swapped out post-TH, but him being an asshole will likely be the final nail in the coffin. English voice acting for Three Houses falls under NoA's jurisdiction, so I hope that they act on it.

Would notifying Patrick Seitz (Three Houses' ADR) be a good idea, or should we just focus our attention towards letting NoA know?

OP
OP
RPGamer92

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
No wonder why rest of the voice actors were announced early and there being dead silence on M!Byleth that day. This is extremely unfortunate timing.

As for "separating the art from the creator", I personally find it hard to distinguish a character from an actor.

IntSys really can't catch a break regarding the misconduct of some of the voice actors in their games, huh? We first had Adam Baldwin, then Orion Acaba, now Niosi.
Is it really that hard to do research on people tho?

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I actually used to follow his animation work (he did all the Brawl Taunts Newgrounds stuff). That's disappointing to hear.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had heard about this before, seems like a bad guy.

The framing on that twitter thread is weird though. Like he purposely gets roles and breaks NDA to torment someone rather than just being an asshole that happens to have a career in a relatively narrow field...

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is it that people don't like about female Byleth?

The design looks like the typical FE affair to me. Like a worse version of Lucina but not terrible.

Her design is so out of place to literally any other character in the game. Like, any promotional artwork for the game that features her along other characters gets a laugh out of me cause she looks like a teenager going out to a rock concert in the middle of a bunch of soldiers.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NDA thing alone is probably gonna get him swapped out post-TH, but him being an asshole will likely be the final nail in the coffin. English voice acting for Three Houses falls under NoA's jurisdiction, so I hope that they act on it.

Would notifying Patrick Seitz (Three Houses' ADR) be a good idea, or should we just focus our attention towards letting NoA know?
Patrick Seitz would be i guess?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that Three Houses has dual audio, so if people don't want to hear Niosi and don't want to play as female Byleth you can swap to the Japanese voices.
Some people gave the advice of changing the voices just for battles that is when Byleth is actually voiced

Would notifying Patrick Seitz (Three Houses' ADR) be a good idea, or should we just focus our attention towards Nintendo?

Probably NOA and Cup of Tea Productions, the recording studio in charge of the voice recording of Fire Emblem games since Awakening (with the exception of Fates).

Is it really that hard to do research on people tho?

The allegation for Acaba broke a few weeks after he voiced a character in Heroes (Awakening's Gerome, a role reprisal).

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah that is a good way of going about it but it also kinda sucks that players who go that route will miss the talents of otherwise decent English VA's. Takes just one bad apple to spoil the pot, I guess.

if only every game offered those Capcom fighter options where you can toggle on a character-by-character basis. Let my Byleth run around being inexplicably Japanese in a crowd of English speakers like he's Cloud in Smash Bros.

Jun 11, 2019
It's worth noting it goes beyond him just being an asshole. He's also tried to get his girlfriend at the time to have sex with him while she was intoxicated, thankfully she was cognizant enough to get him to fuck off.