• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 24, 2018
On one hand, Im glad theres barely any voices in the game because of this.

But on the other, there being NO positives to using a set character over a customized one is really shitty. Worst of both worlds, shitty character design AND lifeless character(and gross shithead grunts!). Atleast with customizable characters i can project onto the avatar.

This and the lack/mishandling of gays just makes me wanna wait another 2 or 3 mainline entries. maybe in 2028 we'll get something without any "but!"s.
I also find it annoying that protagonist doesn't have any dialogue unlike Corrin and Robin, who were both customizable protagonists :/

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I looked up the voice of the new guy and is it just me or is the audio quality pretty bad?

It makes me picture Nintendo shooting him an email and going "Hey we got a role for you, please send us back those voice clips in like a day we have a fire to put out" and him going and recording it on his Blue Yeti or some shit

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
How often does something like this happen? How does the new guy feel just snapping the old guys work out of existence?

The only other one I can think of is when. Nolan North replaced Tyrion for Destiny.

Oct 25, 2017
I looked up the voice of the new guy and is it just me or is the audio quality pretty bad?

It makes me picture Nintendo shooting him an email and going "Hey we got a role for you, please send us back those voice clips in like a day we have a fire to put out" and him going and recording it on his Blue Yeti or some shit
I just think it was a hasty mixing since they wanted this done as soon as possible.

Deleted member 41713

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 4, 2018
User Banned (1 week): dismissing concerns around sexual assault
I don't support bad behavior but I also don't support changing the original integrity of art. There are plenty of movies where the actors have done questionable shit in their personal lives - yet the movies are not re-released with a different actor. So why is this so for anime and games?

After Nintendo screamed so much recently about not doing censorship, the choice to replace the voice actor for the main character is kinda ironic. Anyways, I'm skipping FE: Three Houses, plenty of games out there that stayed true to the way they were meant to be experience from day 1.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't support bad behavior but I also don't support changing the original integrity of art. There are plenty of movies where the actors have done questionable shit in their personal lives - yet the movies are not re-released with a different actor. So why is this so for anime and games?

After Nintendo screamed so much recently about not doing censorship, the choice to replace the voice actor for the main character is kinda ironic. Anyways, I'm skipping FE: Three Houses, plenty of games out there that stayed true to the way they were meant to be experience from day 1.
What makes you think the devs at IS don;t approve the change?

Anyway the game has dual audio so if you care about the original intention that much you can play with the original Japanese VAs.

Oct 25, 2017

This is a video game voice over of one character. Super silly. Do you say the same thing when someone in a theater production is switched out? Are we destroying the art of Shakespeare by having multiple Hamlets?

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017

This take is awful, I really did not think someone would use English VA voice acting switching as form of screaming censorship of developers, and oddly it is sort of implies that games shouldn't have patches either to fix mistakes, because that was not how it was meant to be experienced day 1.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Let me fix that for you " i dont support what he did but not enough that if he gets punished for what he did because it affects my game in no fucking way whatsoever..." seriously fuck your opinion dude. And "the way it was meant to be played" .... it's a Japanese game, if that's a fucking point for you play it in Japanese and not in english so you can hear his grunts or him possibly saying predictable. It's not censorship to remove a voice actor and use every line that they did. Your opinion is garbage and I hope in time you'll learn to outgrow it. I dont apologize for this statement, it's a garbage post and reads like shit I've heard ISWV people say about Vic (that's a whole other issue that people can read in off topic)

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, he's responded... he says he's seeing a therapist and beginning to heal. I hope he genuinely does. But like I said, his actions, not words will tell.

That's what I've learned.

Deleted member 24624

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chris made a tweet fessing up to what he's done, apologized, acknowledged that's not enough, so he's getting help from medical professionals, and accepts all that's being thrown at him. I really do hope he can change for the better.

Halfstar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

How is this censorship in any way?

Does it change any expressed opinion? No, the text stays exactly the same.
Does it infringe the free speech of anyone involved? No, the old VA can still say whatever he wants.
Does it change the artistic intent of the creator? The English voice actors were not chosen by Intelligent Systems, but NoA, who also chose the new voice actor, because they think he is the better choice. The English and Japanese voices are still decided by the same people as originally.

The one who did change the artistic intent was the old voice actor. The intent of Intelligent Systems was for the voice to have an effect on the players only by its sound. Now a lot of players will have negative feelings about the old voice, which will reduce their joy. Now they reconstruct it to give the same impression as it did before the incident.

What do you want them to do? Do you want to force a company to favor assholes over decent people? Why is it that almost every time people cry about "censorship" it not about actual censorship, but because people who are treating women or minorities shitty don't get any special protection.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, he's responded... he says he's seeing a therapist and beginning to heal. I hope he genuinely does. But like I said, his actions, not words will tell.

That's what I've learned.
Chris made a tweet fessing up to what he's done, apologized, acknowledged that's not enough, so he's getting help from medical professionals, and accepts all that's being thrown at him. I really do hope he can change for the better.

Legit surprised. Maybe he is serious after all? I mean, he's legit doing more than like... 95% of people in his shoes have done? I'm still VERY glad that he's been recast, but the proof is in the pudding if he can truly change his ways, but it will take a lot of time.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody remember Spax3 from back in the early days of YouTube. I've been reading up, apparently he's driving people away too just like he did 10 years ago.

...I want to believe people can change for the better. I truly do. I want to change for the better. But why don't people do so?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Anybody remember Spax3 from back in the early days of YouTube. I've been reading up, apparently he's driving people away too just like he did 10 years ago.

...I want to believe people can change for the better. I truly do. I want to change for the better. But why don't people do so?
Habits. You can try to change, but you will always return to old behaviour. It needs dedication to change for a whole.

Oct 26, 2017

He's the one from the Sonic fandom right?

Because I "hanged" with him in the Save Sonic forum* and he was always... odd to say the least. I remember his interviews being VERY uncomfortable to watch and he just sort of disappeared afterwards.

*Save Sonic was a forum I think formed by him with the goal of getting Ryan Drummond back as Sonic when Sonic was revealed for Brawl. It didn't work, but still.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's the one from the Sonic fandom right?

Because I "hanged" with him in the Save Sonic forum* and he was always... odd to say the least. I remember his interviews being VERY uncomfortable to watch and he just sort of disappeared afterwards.

*Save Sonic was a forum I think formed by him with the goal of getting Ryan Drummond back as Sonic when Sonic was revealed for Brawl. It didn't work, but still.

Yeah, he had problems with the moderators there too. He really was a piece of work.

He was always suing people for even the smallest fraction.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

The original experience is in Japanese. And even then, NoA is free to do whatever given that most of their games are non-union. They made the right call.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The character barely even speaks and the English is nothing but a dub in the grand scheme of things rofl. How was this guy's voice being in how "the game was meant to be experienced"

Deleted member 24624

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I remember the guy. One memorable thing from the Save Sonic forum for me was him telling me I should be sacrificed because I owned a copy of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Pretty funny stuff honestly, but that was well over 10 years ago. Wish I could find the videos of him screaming about Jason Griffith voicing Sonic. He'd blow out the speakers on my PC at the time. Shit was great.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the guy. One memorable thing from the Save Sonic forum for me was him telling me I should be sacrificed because I owned a copy of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Pretty funny stuff honestly, but that was well over 10 years ago. Wish I could find the videos of him screaming about Jason Griffith voicing Sonic. He'd blow out the speakers on my PC at the time. Shit was great.

I didn't own it at the time because after Sonic 06 turned so bad... I was WARY of any new Sonic game. It took a while for me to come back around.

Jun 11, 2019
Wasn't he in GameXplain discussions too?
Yep, they noted it in their video when he was replaced in Heroes
Screenshot_20190727-121603_YouTube.jpg

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
The character barely even speaks and the English is nothing but a dub in the grand scheme of things rofl. How was this guy's voice being in how "the game was meant to be experienced"

I could care less if his voice is in or out, but the size of his role kind of goes both ways. If his part is so minor in terms of voice over and lines, is it really necessary for a patch to replace him? It makes sense if Nintendo didn't want to use him again in any upcoming games for sure, but if his actual contribution is so minor, it seems a lot to patch out and re-dub a relatively small amount of lines (If his contribution really is that small).

If his actual voice work is bigger though, I could see why Nintendo wouldn't want him associated with the character to the point where his voice is linked with the character (Like Vic Mignogna and Edward Elric).

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I could care less if his voice is in or out, but the size of his role kind of goes both ways. If his part is so minor in terms of voice over and lines, is it really necessary for a patch to replace him? It makes sense if Nintendo didn't want to use him again in any upcoming games for sure, but if his actual contribution is so minor, it seems a lot to patch out and re-dub a relatively small amount of lines (If his contribution really is that small).

If his actual voice work is bigger though, I could see why Nintendo wouldn't want him associated with the character to the point where his voice is linked with the character (Like Vic Mignogna and Edward Elric).
Can it not just be as simple as "wow, we don't want this product we're selling to have anything to do with this person"?

Nothing here is "necessary". Nintendo made a decision based on either moral or business reasons. I'm failing to see why there's any issue with this whatsoever just because the role is small.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I'm only just now reading about this whole thing and this is disgusting in every way, but that's not the worst part: the worst part is how insanely commonplace it seems to be for people to such awful individuals. This is more than just a mistake or reacting in a bad way for them, this is like chronic abusive and predatory behavior that's been brushed under the rug oh so many times.

When I first heard Nintendo was replacing him and left him uncredited I wasn't sure what to think, but after reading this and reading his response like yeah that was 100% the appropriate course of action as it's more than just brand control as much as it's a moral decision to not give someone a bigger opportunity to prey on others.

Is this censorship? No, because they're completely removing him altogether meaning he's gonna have no reason to even be in the credits at that's point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Nintendo screamed so much recently about not doing censorship
Nintendo the publisher didn't say they were anti-censorship. Nintendo the platform holder did. They said they would leave the censorship of 3rd party games to the whims of the rating boards. They never said anything about their own games.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019
It says he detailed his actions and explained what he did somewhere - I'd kind of like to read this, but abuse stuff can be mildly upsetting/triggering for me to read. Can anyone summarize what he said about the things he did (or what those things were in the first place)?

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I know you're banned but when you return, think on this: Just weeks before Ridley Scott had a movie set to release, Kevin Spacey was outed from it, All The Money in the World, following the allegations against him. His part was filled by Christopher Plummer. They reshot all his scenes (which is a huge part of the movie, as he's in one of the main roles) and still had it out by the original release date.

It was an amazingly good movie and Plummer was an incredible choice to act as a crotchety old piece of shit.

So it does happen in movies, and arguably should happen more.