• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
n8cf2ijx49y21.jpg

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Can someone help me understand something. I haven't finished my route yet in the BE, but in my A supports, some characters are clearly showing romantic interests. The thing is, some show those interests to multiple characters. I imagine that this may affect their epilogues, my question is how do you determine which character couples with which? Is it the last A support they have that locks them ?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help me understand something. I haven't finished my route yet in the BE, but in my A supports, some characters are clearly showing romantic interests. The thing is, some show those interests to multiple characters. I imagine that this may affect their epilogues, my question is how do you determine which character couples with which? Is it the last A support they have that locks them ?
Look at the character sheet. It should say closest allies on it. I believe that's how it's determined.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At least on the Crimson Flower route, it doesn't. There's a single hard map at the end, but the others are pretty easy.
Dang, well I still have a few lower leveled characters so I'll rely on them for the next map or two, so hopefully that helps create a challenge.

And then if I finish this game before the new difficulty releases I'll just shelf it releases.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I didn't expect it, but I'm actually enjoying my second playthrough more than my first. Hard isn't brutal or anything, but I actually have to think about positioning and unit usage in a way I almost never did in Normal. And now that I have a better understanding of the class/skill system, I feel like I can really start experimenting with builds. I plan to make everyone in GD except Lysithea (and Dorothea, if I decide to recruit her to use as a dancer) a mounted unit of some kind.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got a giant burrito for lunch, and the moment it touched my table the FETH boss battle theme started playing in my head.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Alright time to post my overall thoughts upon finishing the Black Eagles/Crimson Flower route.

Overall I really enjoyed this story, one of the best I've experienced in my history of gaming rivaling the likes of BioWare's Mass Effect and Dragon Age (though BioWare's more modern creations might not hold much water, I reference the older titles) in not only the structure of narrative but character interaction/bonding as well. Atop that, though it may be just me, such an excellent piece of work is all within a Fire Emblem title of all things on my portable handheld Nintendo Switch. That's not to say the story's without flaws however.

One of my main critiques of this route is the lack of dialogue, note I said dialogue not choice. Regarding choice the game is rather streamlined and that's fine, but upon the fork in the road determining if you go Crimson Flower or Church paths the general mindset (or atleast mine) is that you're not comfortable with either choice. I eventually went with Edelgard/Crimson Flower over the Church because despite Edelgard's flaws/poor decision making it paled to comparison to how shifty Rhea was at that point of the game which only had grown bit by bit since her already-shifty beginning at the start. But even if I preferred Edelgard, I noticed there was a lack of dialogue to bring closure between the "betrayal drama" regarding Jeralt's death (since TWSITD did it, ally of convenience with Edelgard), the betrayal/surprise attack itself, and potential bonding over getting over that hurdle/closure. Thankfully such a closure isn't totally ignored (Hubert gives minor exposition referencing Jeralt's death), but the lack of it coming from Edelgard directly until the literal end of the game is kind of a bummer.

Additionally another major critique is the lack of Sothis post-timeskip in Part 2. Like she's the character/reason why Part 2 starts off in the first place in forcing Byleth to wake up. The very least I'd like her opinion on whatever path Byleth took/continued during Part 2 before the game ended. Or is this a thing with all routes in that Sothis is nowhere to be seen in Part 2?

And one really minor critique is the Death Knight plotline. Apparently I've been notified it was some Imperial general and I really wanted to unearth said identity especially when the battle right before the timeskip the dude comes in and starts helping you with Edelgard shouting to trust her and "there would be a time for questions later". Well apparently there was no time for questions because I didn't recruit the right people to actually play the paralogue. Bit of a bummer, but I kinda expected the Death Knight background would be explored by default due to Edelgard shouting that in the middle of a climatic battle.

Anyways, as for what I enjoyed about this story and why. A personal bias (and Japanese storytelling trope I enjoy) is the tearing down of old corrupt/flawed institutions (commonly religious ones) in replacement for a new one. And not only did this game deliver on that but also made sure to highlight the major flaws of undergoing on such a path with being forced to accept the continued ally of convenience that is TWSITD (who killed Jeralt/your dad), having to make a reactive decision between Rhea/Edelgard, and, most of all, having to cut down your own students that didn't have the fortune to be directly under your school House or simply had (valid) uncompromising viewpoints. In general, the feel of accepting the path you already started while doing everything in your power to hold it together/cause the least amount of potential damage is a gripping one, atleast for me. Absolutely loved it.

I heard this Black Eagles route/Crimson Flower is the shortest route being only 18 chapters (while others gets around ~20ish) but even then I felt the last 3-4 Chapters were a bit pushing it due to having to "wander the Monastery" while the literal world was on fire. Regardless, even if it was apparently the shortest, I still enjoyed it a lot. I do hope that other routes, even if longer, carry the same amount of enjoyment!

And finally, I just want to highlight I absolutely adored being able to experience such a wonderful game on a simple handheld device that is the Switch; never have I experience a gripping game narrative rivaling that of classic RPGs like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Divinity: Original Sin, etc. that wasn't on my PC. Props to both Nintendo and Intelligent Systems for innovating/changing up the gaming industry.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If the DLC chart is accurate, the first free update (so Lunatic) will come in Oct 31. So yeah, I'll wait until then to do my 2nd route.

They never said Lunatic was part of the DLC updates. The verbage was different between the Japanese interview and the English-language tweet, so it could be coming anytime. Same with the new Byleth VA.

The 3rd difficulty genuinely seems like something that was slated for release but eventually slipped due to it being 2.5x or 3x the amount of missions to change as other FE games.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're "by" dates, so it could be anytime between now and then. And the Lunatic update could be separate from the roadmap listed; we don't know what the free updates listed entail.
Okay, that makes sense. I should hopefully finish the GD path in the next week so I'll keep my fingers crossed. There was that other thread where someone data mined the game and found the harder difficulty already in the code so hopefully it's ready to go and they're just waiting to do a more meaningful update.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
They're "by" dates, so it could be anytime between now and then.
I see, so we can expect all the waves to be released sooner, it makes more sense this way. Even so, as 2 free updates are already planned and 2 difficulty modes are on the game files, it matches and I don't expect any other kind of free updates, having the game a 25€ season pass.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk, Cyril x Lysithea's supports are easily my favorite supports in the game. Especially the A+ one.

And this is coming from someone who does not like Cyril.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
really should have played a harder difficulty than doing Normal/Classic. I've spent the last day spamming battles because its no cost stamina and I can get a bunch of free money/xp. Still only chapter 5 though...lot of game left.

Does NG+ offer difficulty change?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
really should have played a harder difficulty than doing Normal/Classic. I've spent the last day spamming battles because its no cost stamina and I can get a bunch of free money/xp. Still only chapter 5 though...lot of game left.

Does NG+ offer difficulty change?

yeah you pretty much start over and get to select dificulty, game type (casual/classic), gender, name
but if you are on casual then take some time to grind Death Blow, Fiendish Blow and any other interesting skill on everyone so you can have them availible for whatever build you want on ng+

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I like how in the second half of the game, every single one of your units can train you during free time, really helps you build the professor into different kind of things if you want. But something I'm finding quite glaring is how what they are actually good at has no bearing on what they can teach you. Someone with a C rank lances and a S+ rank riding skill can't train you in riding but can train you in lances, for example. Stuff like that. I think it should be based on what their skills are actually at instead of what 2 skills the designers thought they wanted to give to each character.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely curious what that means. Do magic weapons (Levin sword for example) scale off of different stats? Or is this just a Lys thing?

They do, though Lys also has a unique sword skill that will let her use her magic stat with any kind of sword as well. She can fairly reasonably rely on that until magic weapons show up and then she can do basically whatever she wants. Lys is just ridiculously good.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely curious what that means. Do magic weapons (Levin sword for example) scale off of different stats? Or is this just a Lys thing?

Magic weapon use mag. Meaning you can have swordmaster lys or wyver rider lys land hits using mag and reduced by enemy res. Same for any char really, with decent mag you can get through a high def unit with using a levin sword. Or use their str and melee weapons to deal with high res mages

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
They do, though Lys also has a unique sword skill that will let her use her magic stat with any kind of sword as well. She can fairly reasonably rely on that until magic weapons show up and then she can do basically whatever she wants. Lys is just ridiculously good.
Oh that's cool. I was aiming for Gremory but now I'm tempted to change her into a Swordmaster or something. Or Mortal Savant I suppose.

Gerhalt

Oct 27, 2017
Will be jumping back in to the game tonight to choose my house and I can't decide between black eagles or the golden deer! Argh!!

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Can you use brawl weapons on horses? I kinda want to build Raphael to Great Knight, but I like him with gauntlets.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Oh I also forgot to add this as a critique/question to my Black Eagles/Crimson Flower playthrough.

So is it ever possible to have Sothis appear in this route post-timeskip or no? Does she appear in other routes post-timeskip?

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't allowed a single united to use Brawl weapons because I think they look dumb, but I may make Hilda a Brawler this run.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in chapter 10 Black Eagles, still my first run. I'm playing normal/casual, and while it's not that hard I sometimes have to strategize and be more tactical.

If I want to go through the other houses quicker, would you guys recommend playing on easy? What does it even change? Also, am I right to assume that besides characters that most pre-timeskip story beats are the same between houses?

Edit: thanks for the feedback! Idk why I thought there was an easy mode lol

Last edited:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in chapter 10 Black Eagles, still my first run. I'm playing normal/casual, and while it's not that hard I sometimes have to strategize and be more tactical.

If I want to go through the other houses quicker, would you guys recommend playing on easy? What does it even change? Also, am I right to assume that besides characters that most pre-timeskip story beats are the same between houses?

there is no easy. just normal or hard.
also yes most things pre c11 are the same. post ch 11 it starts to change though ch 12 and 13 will be similar for 3 of the 4 paths

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Normal is the easiest mode.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat chapter 18 of GD, story starts to drag a bit... I hope the next mission changes that

Missions where you have to beat the commander are way to easy, just rush him/her with a fast unit.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

normal is this game's easy mode. Casual is easier as well since units revive after. If anything just farm up the battles that don't cost stamina and raise your level of your team so story battles are easier.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
My Lysithea only had 3 defense and when I promoted her, she got a +9 to defense. I wasn't paying attention to her defense stat and had no idea it was so low.

Status
Not open for further replies.