• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
sothis is really goddamn good, that character could be incredibly annoying but she really sells it

grand

Oct 25, 2017
yeah of the entire cast only mercedes stands out to me as 'too much'
The worst acting in the game is the little girl NPC who's "hey you" and laughter clips sound like they came out of a cheap horror game. It's so jarring when you walk past one.

Rest of the NPCs are fine, though I always get a chuckle out of the female monks who switch between a seductive "hey you" and a stern "No".
i wonder if you die and rewind time if that's where gold xp shows up
For your particular map? No. The game just seems to be collecting a list of the most common squares people die since it never changes upon reloading.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone try Ferdinand as a Wyvern Lord? Curious to hear if it worked out for anyone.

His base skill set screams, "I want to be a cavalry unit" and I think that is his "canonical" class, but that is boring.
I'm of the opinion that if you have a physical based unit then Wyvern Rider/Lord is always optimal for them. They're the best class in the game that isn't Claude's exclusive one.

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Got a question, not really spoilery but I'll tag it in case,

when new characters join your party as an intermediate class is it a good a idea to reclass them to the lower levels so they can master them and learn the skills or would that be a waste of time?

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
These Support conversations are so good. The music that plays in the background sometimes could make me cry.

Princess Zelda aka Ingrid just told Annette, "When I was younger, I'd actually be found covered in dirt, bugs in my hair, and a big smile on my face. Things haven't changed too much since."

My heart melted. Just wow. The Support conversations might actually be the best thing from this game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The worst acting in the game is the little girl NPC who's "hey you" and laughter clips sound like they came out of a cheap horror game. It's so jarring when you walk past one.

Rest of the NPCs are fine, though I always get a chuckle out of the female monks who switch between a seductive "hey you" and a stern "No".

i absolutely hate the NPCs reacting when you path near them or they path near you because it's hilariously inconsistent lmao. it's so bad.

preta

Oct 25, 2017

when new characters join your party as an intermediate class is it a good a idea to reclass them to the lower levels so they can master them and learn the skills or would that be a waste of time?
Only if the abilities are actually worth it, like Brigand or Mage's mastery abilities (+6 to strength or magic on player phase). Many aren't.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part 2: Black Eagles: Crimson Flower Route: Beaten

So I really enjoyed it. Full thoughts sometime tomorrow, but it was definitely a satisfying route for me

Close 70 hours, married Edelgard as intended, One More God(dess) rejected

Metroid

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I found the last Chapter for BE E route was challenging. Have beaten it last night with a bit of luck (Petra is a fucking BEAST with her crits). Great game, loved it. Even if so many plots didn't get resolved, but I guess that's what the other houses are for. I give it a break for now until I continue with a NG+. Golden Deer or Blue Lions? I want to see as much new story stuff as possible.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
pretty much. they did an exceptional job with the casting for the English dub
I honestly prefer it to the Japanese dub which is a surprise to me. there are a few voices I like better in each, but overall the English dub has more stand out ones. sothis for example is way better in english
There's alotta good va but the one that shines like crazy is Annette. Whoever voiced her deserves an award
sothis is really goddamn good, that character could be incredibly annoying but she really sells it
The voice acting in this game is so damn good that we have to stretch to one-line NPCs to find anything bad. My favorite part is how a lot of voice actors subtly make their voices slightly older for Part 2. It's hard to catch at first but it shows how much care Patrick Seitz put into this dub. A good example is Erica Mendez, who slips into her Retsuko voice for Bernadette in Part 2.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I found the last Chapter for BE E route was challenging. Have beaten it last night with a bit of luck (Petra is a fucking BEAST with her crits). Great game, loved it. Even if so many plots didn't get resolved, but I guess that's what the other houses are for. I give it a break for now until I continue with a NG+. Golden Deer or Blue Lions? I want to see as much new story stuff as possible.

Killing the hell out of Catherine, taking her sword and trashing enemies with Petra was one the highlights for me

grand

Oct 25, 2017
i absolutely hate the NPCs reacting when you path near them or they path near you because it's hilariously inconsistent lmao. it's so bad.
Yeah. I get it because they only have two lines each but you start noticing it after the 20th explore session lol
That moment when you pass a Certification exam at 32% but fail a 67%.... I actually laughed in disbelief

Also just realized I got Reason and Faith mixed up so the process of Byleth becoming a Mortal Savant just got more annoying lol
Fun fact: the RNG values seem to be set upon loading that day (aka before Byleth is sitting there thinking while you decide what to do). So no matter how often you reset the pass/fail aspects of the Certifications will never change for that day.
Depends on what you want to see. BL is all about Dimitri's character arc while GD fills in a lot of the lore and is the closest the game gets to a traditional Fire Emblem story/"good ending".

Metroid

Oct 27, 2017
Killing the hell out of Catherine, taking her sword and trashing enemies with Petra was one the highlights for me

Oh god, yes! Killing the immaculate one with thunderbrand equipped was an amazing feeling. Attacking 4 times, 3 of them being crits really saved me this mission without losing anyone. I didn't have any more healing items nor spells, so I only beat it because of Petra. Felt so so good.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Love the Resistance's Flag. So far, Church route can be called Byleth's path since they're basically the Lord in this mode with Seteth being the big #2.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

No Beginning class is worth it honestly. The +2 to a given stat becomes meh after you reach higher levels.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Love the Resistance's Flag. So far, Church route can be called Byleth's path since they're basically the Lord in this mode with Seteth being the big #2.
It's...
The same for GD. Just swap out Seteth for Claude. It's pretty clear the developers made BE-E the odd one out of the bunch.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

If you want to get more details on the surrounding plot then go for GD. It's also pretty disconnected from a lot of the drama in the BE E route, for better or worse.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Flayn: Where did you sleep for five years?

Me: Under a rock

Flayn: That's similar to me. I once slept in a casket made of stone.

Me: Wait, what!? Come again!?

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Flayn: Where did you sleep for five years?

Me: Under a rock

Flayn: That's similar to me. I once slept in a casket made of stone.

Me: Wait, what!? Come again!?

LOL

Flayn background spoilers:

It's sad because she's constantly scared of falling asleep and not waking up until much later when everyone she knows is dead... :'(

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On chapter 11 Edelgard route.. and man is this game EASY

I mean it is STUPIDLY easy - I play almost only the main path and have played only 3 or 4 sidemissions and skip a lot ot the quests in the monastery (I find this part repetative and a bit boring)

... and the last story battle I could have won with the main character alone - I can pretty much send him forward and let every enemy attack him until they die

Seriously I usually dont need really hard strategy/rpg games but this.. this makes everything in the game totally pointless - I dont care anymore about leveling to a certain character class since it does not matter

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

I mean it is STUPIDLY easy - I play almost only the main path and have played only 3 or 4 sidemissions and skip a lot ot the quests in the monastery (I find this part repetative and a bit boring)

... and the last story battle I could have won with the main character alone - I can pretty much send him forward and let every enemy attack him until they die

Seriously I usually dont need really hard strategy/rpg games but this.. this makes everything in the game totally pointless - I dont care anymore about leveling to a certain character class since it does not matter

What difficulty setting are you playing on? Normal is ridiculously easy.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if this is an issue with the Edelgard route because my blue lion run was incredibly challenging. I just finished up the second death knight encounter and I have yet to encounter anything that could kill the main character or edelgard. Most of the time they actually receive no damage from the enemy attacks so I can pretty much wipe out entire waves of enemies with just those two.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how people criticize the BE-E route for being "half-finished" when it's the route with the least overlap and most unique setup out of all of them.

BE E spoilers

The part where you're at the encampment and then just going straight to battle was sooooo good. The other routes sorrily miss something like that.

And Edelgard and Hubert just talking together about their plans? My mind was going crazy. Like how long had they been planning this?? Their excitement made me excited.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Funny how people criticize the BE-E route for being "half-finished" when it's the route with the least overlap and most unique setup out of all of them.

It's half-baked because of the way it was executed, made a stupidly long post about this so won't repeat, and the story had to drastically change to make Edelgard the underdog when she was winning in all routes and actually had Rhea prisoner for five years, without explaining what caused these changes.

Being unique doesn't save it.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's half-baked because of the way it was executed, made a stupidly long post about this so won't repeat, and the story had to drastically change to make Edelgard the underdog when she was winning in all routes and actually had Rhea prisoner for five years, without explaining what caused these changes.

Being unique doesn't save it.

Each chapter sets up a conflict, builds up to and has a proper resolution, culminating in when you finally overthrow Rhea (aka the status quo).

The execution is incredibly straightforward and the story fully achieves what it was going for, so "half-baked" feels like a lazy a descriptor here. It's funny how you use Rhea's kidnapping, a lazy plot point at best (she's kidnapped off-screen lmao) as a point against the Crimson Flower route, when her presence as a major player in the Crimson Flower is one of the best aspects of it.

I also don't really know what route you played, but you were never an underdog. Every mission was perfectly executed with things rarely going awry for Edelgard + Hubert. In fact it's pretty disingenuous to compare it to the other routes when your back is constantly to the wall.

The fact that BE-E makes several key changes to the plot (such as Dimitri's current mental state and status) makes it actually worth experiencing as a fun contrast to the other routes.

Last edited:

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
One thing I don't get is
why they show you as soon a like the third chapter that Rhea is bad? I don't remember the exact scene but there is a moment in like the opening hour when you go "ok, somethings up"

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
BE E spoilers

The part where you're at the encampment and then just going straight to battle was sooooo good. The other routes sorrily miss something like that.

And Edelgard and Hubert just talking together about their plans? My mind was going crazy. Like how long had they been planning this?? Their excitement made me excited.
Yup. Route could have probably used another chapter or two though, especially as one of the chapters is basically a "lost month".

Each chapter sets up a conflict, builds up to and has a proper resolution, culminating in when you finally overthrow Rhea (aka the status quo).

The execution is incredibly straightforward and the story fully achieves what it was going for, so "half-baked" feels like a lazy a descriptor here. It's funny how you use Rhea's kidnapping, a lazy plot point at best (she's kidnapped off-screen lmao) as a point against the Crimson Flower route, when her presence as a major player in the Crimson Flower is one of the best aspects of it.

I also don't really know what route you played, but you were never an underdog. Every mission was perfectly executed with things rarely going awry for Edelgard + Hubert. In fact it's pretty disingenuous to compare it to the other routes when your back is constantly to the wall.

The fact that BE-E makes several key changes to the plot (such as Dimitri's current mental state and status) makes it actually worth experiencing as a fun contrast to the other routes.
Takes the words right out of my mouth.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I don't get is
why they show you as soon a like the third chapter that Rhea is bad? I don't remember the exact scene but there is a moment in like the opening hour when you go "ok, somethings up"
Because, well ...
She's a violent manipulative liar whose only obsession is to revive her dead mother.

Also she's the final boss in two of the four routes (even if in one of them it's kind of "by accident").

And of course "evil pope" JRPG trope (plus churches with military might don't, you know, usually bode well).

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

That's the problem, it shouldn't be straightforward. And Rhea being captured maybe lazy just like your main character going into a coma for five years, but it still happened in all routes. So what change in the alternate that Rhea got away and needed so much effort to take down when she was subdued in the opening shots of the war everywhere else.

I'm in Church, and you're the underdog. Every kingdom is in shambles and the Church's troops are scattered. We're just not getting ourselves together while we're being attacked.

And to repeat my stupidly long post I made the other day in that matter since you called my statement a 'lazy a descriptor':

Honestly, the more I looked at Edelgard's personal route, the more I think it's the most dull and worst executed of all the story branches.

Once you side with Edelgard, everything becomes about her and Rhea going nuts. Which is really annoying since her time as the Flame Emperor and her dealing with TWSD are only touched upon in Hubert's supports and at the end where Edelgard vows to crushed them. You don't even get to fight (outside of text at the end of the route) or interact with them despite them supposedly being Edelgard's allies. They just disappeared after the time skip. That and no one ever finds out that she hired the bandits to kill Dimitri and Claude at the start of the game. And probably the most damning thing for me is her betraying you in the Holy Tomb is never mentioned, not even by her classmates. She used you and your class, ordered you deaths if you try to stop you, and even personally tries to kill you, yet all is forgiven because Rhea goes crazy dragon. Like come on, Edelgard should have been taken to task over that even if you side with her.

That and Edelgard in comparison to Dimitri, whose route is also his personal story that doesn't really focuses on the world, is dull. Edelgard doesn't change. She's less of a bitch compared to her other routes, but she's largely the same and she's never called out for what she did in Part 1. In comparison, Dimitri drastically changes through his story and is constantly called out on his crap to the point that his attitude gets someone he cared for killed. That and probably the bigger character for him is that he tried to make peace with Edelgard despite all the crap he put him through and no one would blame him killing her at that moment.

Third, reasons many of the people side with Edelgard if you chose her are half baked, especially if you compared their dialog to what they say if you side against Edelgard. One that comes to mind is Ferdinand. In his support with Hubert, he actually says that the reason why he wants to be better than Edelgard is because it his duty to guide her and keep her from going too far. He actually dislikes that Hubert kisses Edelgard's ass and not questions anything she does. Yet, he more or less does just that when he sides with Edelgard. Yeah, the public schools was his idea, but it really stands out that Ferdinand never confronts Edelgard about the stuff she did up to that point. Like wasn't ordering their deaths in the Holy Tomb not count as 'going too far'? Also Petra. She sounded the most hurt from Edelgard's betrayal, even asking if she really used them this entire time. Her follow up if you side with the Church is heartbreaking and she gave probably the most compelling reason to fight Edelgard. However, this is all thrown away if she's with Edelgard and is all for 'killing the beast', and never questions Edelgard again about using them.

Finally and my biggest grip with the route, the story bends over backwards to make Edelgard look better and present her as the underdog fighting a powerful god. In all routes, Edelgard is winning the war and even captures Rhea. However, in her personal route, not only is Rhea still at large, but for some reason she stalemated. Why is Byleth joining her make her fall behind and she failed to captured Rhea? Heck, with Byleth at her side, she should have more easily captured. It's really forced and no explanation is given for the change. There is also Rhea being far more nutty. I can buy her going off the rails because Byleth betrayed her, but I find it weird that she didn't go crazy dragon when Edelgard captured her and is sane once you freed her. That and she probably believed you were dead for fives years, so the idea that her mother died again should have set Rhea off and reign holy fire on Edelgard, but it didn't.

All and all, Edelgard's route feels half-baked. Edelgard doesn't change like Dimitri and her story is basically you taking over the world and killing Rhea with no contact with TWSD despite them being your 'allies'. I also don't get why the Death Knight disappears in her route since he came to your aid in Chapter 12 and Edelgard promises to explain everything, and proceed to never tell you anything. And the story have to alternate itself far more than any other routes to gimped Edelgard and empower Rhea to make her more of a foe for Edelgard to take down with Byleth, despite her doing that herself in all routes and even managed to take Rhea alive to boot. The route honestly comes off as a power fantasy where you take down the gods and free the world, with all the grayness from the other side being severally downplayed. Byleth enabling Edelgard and never confronting her over her acts on the Flame Emperor is also a severe oversight and you need to get support with Hubert if you want anything before the end of the game. That and Byleth's reasons for even joining Edelgard are never explored.

This route would have been so much better if they kept Edelgard having the edge like every other route and the story focuses more on trying to keep her in line like Dimitri and exploring more of the flaws in her thinking along with her dealings as the Flame Emperor while also helping her finish her conquest. And while Rhea works as a final boss for obvious reasons, they still should have captured her like they did in all the other routes and explore what was done to her during those five years and the finale should have been them confronting TWSD, who was obviously using Edelgard as a pawn to get their revenge on the gods.

But after several days of this, this is my final thoughts on the matter. Just wanted to write down my thoughts.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Because, well ...
She's a violent manipulative liar whose only obsession is to revive her dead mother.

Also she's the final boss in two of the four routes (even if in one of them it's kind of "by accident").

And of course "evil pope" JRPG trope (plus churches with military might don't, you know, usually bode well).

Actually, she's only showed as violent and manipulative in one route. In every other route,, she's very calm and she doesn't 'lie' per say. She doesn't tell the entire truth. In my route, Rhea remained calmed and herself when the Church was attack and told Byleth that she leaves everything to you. She actually got mad when Byleth tried to save her from the monsters. Seteth even takes this further and said that Rhea told him that if anything happened to her, the Church was yours.

So Edelgard's account of Rhea is only one interpretation, which is telling that Rhea only acts completely nuts on that route, but no where else even as Edelgard held her prisoner.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Actually, she's only showed as violent and manipulative in one route. In every other route,, she's very calm and she doesn't 'lie' per say. She doesn't tell the entire truth. In my route, Rhea remained calmed and herself when the Church was attack and told Byleth that she leaves everything to you. She actually got mad when Byleth tried to save her from the monsters. Seteth even takes this further and said that Rhea told him that if anything happened to her, the Church was yours.

So Edelgard's account of Rhea is only one interpretation, which is telling that Rhea only acts completely nuts on that route, but no where else even as Edelgard held her prisoner.
She ...
Slaughters heretics on all routes. In part one. In multiple missions/paralogues.

She doesn't need to show anger, she's the freaking pope with an army of zealots ready to kill at her command.

And yeah, she basically made up all of her religion by rewriting history and claimed her enemies' weapons to be "holy relics".

She ADMITS it in her S-rank support.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone remember a line after the timeskip about Edelgarde killing anyone that still believes in Seiros? I know I've read something to that effect and I'm pretty sure it's from an NPC in the monastary, which is curious to me because there's an implication of genocide there that isn't really explored at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Blue Lions route. I whipped out all the Brave/special weapons I'd been hoarding the whole game just for the last map.

Ended up picking Dimitri since it seemed appropriate.

There are hints to things that I suspect are elaborated upon in other routes? Because I have questions that haven't been answered and I can only imagine that that information is contained in the other routes.

Now I have to decide between Black Eagles and Golden Deer for next route.

I know Black Eagles has two routes so if I choose that next I'll have to do both before moving onto Golden Deer.

And since I saw some people talking about it I think Mercedes voice got better in part 2. It sounded like she cut back on the airiness so it didn't really get close enough to almost grating tier like it did in part 1.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
She ...
Slaughters heretics on all routes. In part one. In multiple missions/paralogues.

She doesn't need to show anger, she's the freaking pope with an army of zealots ready to kill at her command.

And yeah, she basically made up all of her religion by rewriting history and claimed her enemies weapons to be holy relics.

She ADMITS it in her S-rank support.

In Part 1, the only people who saw Rhea ordered death to were people who directly attacked the Church with both groups nearly killing the students. She may have called them heretics, but they weren't innocent people here since they willfully tried to commit murder. This become more justifiable when you find out why Edelgard tried to robbed the Holy Tomb, which is not mentioned on Edelgard's route funny enough.

Except, the Church is never shown as zealots except on one route. And even on Edelgard's route they're not shown as zealots since to the people of the Church, they're fighting an empire that literally declared war on all nations and are invading countries. Not to mentioned that empire sacked their main Church five years ago.

No one is not saying she rewrote history, but most of the history she rewrote was covering up what mankind did to her mother of all things. She even covered up for Nemesis painting him as a fallen hero instead of a bandit who committed genocide.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm on the final map for BL and am thinking about the order I want to do the other three routes.
Is BL > BE E > GD > BE C a good way to go through all routes?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally after ~60 hours I'm about to start the final battle (BE-E, my first route) and shit is already cray and getting cray-er. Wish me luck!

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
If they don't give Gilbert a really GOOD reason for avoiding his daughter he might as well be the worst father in the game so far. Poor girl has been working so hard all her life to find him.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
In Part 1, the only people who saw Rhea ordered death to were people who directly attacked the Church with both groups nearly killing the students. She may have called them heretics, but they weren't innocent people here since they willfully tried to commit murder. This become more justifiable when you find out why Edelgard tried to robbed the Holy Tomb, which is not mentioned on Edelgard's route funny enough.

Except, the Church is never shown as zealots except on one route. And even on Edelgard's route they're not shown as zealots since to the people of the Church, they're fighting an empire that literally declared war on all nations and are invading countries. Not to mentioned that empire sacked their main Church five years ago.

No one is not saying she rewrote history, but most of the history she rewrote was covering up what mankind did to her mother of all things. She even covered up for Nemesis painting him as a fallen hero instead of a bandit who committed genocide.

Preach brother

Oct 26, 2017
How do people feel about weapon durability in this?

I ended up hoarding everything special until the last map since special weapons/relics have really low uses so I treated them in much the same way I do rare consumable items like in Final Fantasy where you gather them but never use them for that mythical scenario that never occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.