• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
734dfc0dcb.png

334cb10c73.png

e7d06517ba.png

f8ac6a5dbd.png

9d73a0d96b.png

083a7326d0.png

a727a96a39.png

7780c21110.png

10a4176d4c.png

73c11305e7.png

2f7c13929a.png

be692c9ded.png

f59fe33f7f.png

46c565a792.png

63cd899ab2.png

66e7fa2ef0.png

8e7a8a17e1.png

e73ba6568c.png

c2e6ad262b.png

d0eed66010.png

a3f5fecb61.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem: Three Houses OT Text-only Edition

INFO

Developer: Intelligent Systems, Koei Tecmo Games
Publisher: Nintendo
Language: Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Korean
Play mode: Handheld, Tabletop, TV Mode
Price: JPY7538, USD59.99, CAD79.99, GBP49.99, EUR59.99
Required Space: 10.9 GB
Genre: Simulation RPG
Release Date: 26th July 2019

STORY
The land of Fódlan is ruled by three mighty realms.
At its centre lies Garreg Mach Monastery, home of the Church of Seiros, the main religion in Fódlan, as well as the Knights of Seiros.
Not only does the church serve to maintain order throughout the continent, its monastery also houses the prestigious Officers Academy. Those who train here will go on to shoulder the future of Fódlan.
You begin as a travelling mercenary in a group led by your father, Jeralt. After an unexpected incident reveals your hidden power, you're invited to become a professor to one of three noble houses at the Officers Academy.
At the same time, you alone begin to see a mysterious girl named Sothis within your dreams…

CHARACTERS
Byleth & Sothis
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
Church of Seiros/Officers Academy
Knight of Seiros

GAME SYSTEMS
Academy
Weekdays
During the weekdays, you are expected to fulfill your job as an educator by creating lesson plans for your students. You can either set specific goals, assign to group tasks or tutoring your students on specific skills.
Once everything has been set either manually or automatically if you're that lazy, the game will progress to the end of the week and the result of your plan will be displayed. Once a month, typically at the end, there'll be Field Study in which your students have to pass it.

Weekends
Once the weekend hits, you're free to do activities outside the class. Take this free time to either explore around the academy meeting with other people, taking quests, attend seminars or doing various activities that is available.
For example, you can go fishing, having meals with other characters, holding tea parties, or even doing some choir practice. Most of the activities require using your limited Activity Points, so you can't do most of the activities non-stop in the same weekend.
If you subscribed to Nintendo Switch Online membership, you can also send and receive exchange students, which can be used for heling out in battle or selling discounted items. There's also a ranking board where you can check what activites that other players picked for their free time.

Training Missions
Gain experience through training battles that might have you routing bandits or facing off against the Knights of Seiros, the Church's elite warriors.
As you play, you'll also open additional battles through quests and paralogues. Each mission will consume Activity Points, unless you picked Normal difficulty in the beginning of the game. If that's the case, there'll be missions that costs 0 points for you to grind.

Battlefield
Skill Level
Replacing the usual weapon levels in previous games, skill levels are set of aptitudes that affect characters proficiency in weapons, magics and even movements. It can be increased by both combat and studying.
While every character has access to all skills, they have their own specific preferences that cause them to be stronger or weaker for specific ones. Higher skill levels allow the characters to equip better weapons, learn new abilities, combat arts etc. They also required for class change as some class need specific skills to be at certain level.

Abilities and Crests
Each character can equip abilities that can give them various boosts. Abilities are split into three types; personal, class and skill levels. Both personal and class abilities are fixed depending on characters or class while skill level abilities are freely customizable.
You can assign up to 3 class and 5 skill level abilities for each character.
Certain characters also have access to crests, but the mechanism for such thing is still a mystery...

Battalions
A new system where characters in battlefield can be supported by a group of generic soldiers. Those group can be hired and assigned to any characters of your choice. They provide stats boosts and special move called Gambit. Like normal characters, battalions have health and can gain levels.

Gambits
When a unit is equipped with a Battalion, they have access to a special move that offers various effects, such as damaging multiple enemies at once or buffing teammates. Counter attacks by enemies won't happen when gambit is used. Due to its usefulness, gambits have a limited number of uses per battle.

Combat Arts
Combat Arts are special attacks your units can learn—but they cost extra weapon durability. Weapons wear down as you use them, so don't let them break during a fight!

Divine Pulse
A feature like Mila's Turnwheel in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. By using Divine Pulse, you can rewind time so that any mistake you made or undesirable outcome can be reversed without having to RESET the game. Divine Pulse have limited number of uses per battle, so use it wisely.

Demonic Beasts
Sometimes you'll encounter a large sized beast in battle called Demonic Beast. Those monsters are powerful enough that you might have to strategically use every single arsenal that you have in order to kill it.

Class System
Certification Exam
Unlike previous games, each character starts with either Commoner or Noble class. In order to switch the class, you must undergo Certification Exams first. Each class have its own requirements, generally depending on Skill Levels. The closer your characters' skill level to the required ones, the higher the chance of said character passing the exam. As a note, some classes are gender locked.
Changing character class won't reset the said character's level in this game. Other than few obvious cases, most class can use any weapon as you like. With that said, matching weapons with the class' specified proficiency weapons will boost the skill level gain for the characters. There's also some degree of freedom of picking the class for your character, if that character meets the class requirement & passing the exam.

Class Set
Each class is categorized into several sets. The higher the set a class is in, the higher the character level needed to access it and the skill levels required to pass the exam. Initial set of class, which is Beginner Class can be accessed when a character reaches level 5. The next set is Intermediate Class at level 10, followed by Advanced Class which available at level 20. The last set is Master Class which requires level 30 minimum.

MISCELLANEOUS
Downloadable Contents
Just like the 3DS games, Fire Emblem Three Houses features both free and paid downloadable contents. There'll be 4 waves total for the DLC distribution schedule, which are:
Wave 1: Officers Academy outfits for female and male Byleth available at game launch.
Wave 2: Additional Auxiliary battle maps, helpful in-game support items, and more will be released by 31st Oct.
Wave 3: Additional quests and costumes, plus a free update, will be released by 31st Dec.
Wave 4: New story content, with additional playable characters, locations and more, plus a free update, will be released by 30th April 2020.
As of now, the only way to get the paid dlc contents is to purchase the expansion pass from eShop.

amiibo
Scanning amiibo will allow you to receive random items and bonuses. During the free time, you can go to a place called amiibo Gazebo and collect the stuff once you scanned amiibo. If any of the Fire Emblem series amiibo is scanned, there's also a bonus music can be unlocked for you to use during optional battles.

FE Heroes Promo
Those who play Fire Emblem Heroes can get a free 5-star unit, Byleth: Tested Professor if this game is registered to your Nintendo Account by 29th June 2020. The account needs to be the same as the one you're using for Fire Emblem Heroes.

F.A.Q
Dual Audio?
Yes. It can be selected within the game.
Who is Byleth?
Avatar/Protagonist/Main Character/You. Byleth is the default name.
When will you be able to pick your house of choice?
The option will be appearing quite early in the game.
The usual weapon triangle?
Not in the game this time.
What is the difference between Casual Mode and Classic Mode?
Former is no permadeath, latter is RESET or byebye dead character (ignoring Divine Pulse effect).
Where's Lunatic difficulty?
It'll come with a future version update.
Can you recruit characters from other houses?
Yes. You're freely to do so if you meet said character's requirements. Do note certain characters like the house leaders aren't recruitable if you didn't pick their house.
Is there kids/children characters like in Awakening/Fates?
Nope.
Where's the post-time skip info in the OT?
Considering press previews from 2 weeks ago didn't cover those, I decided to not touch upon it. From what I heard, core systems don't change much from pre to post-time skip anyway.
How much is the expansion pass?
JPY2,500+tax, USD24.99, CAD31.49, GBP22.49, EUR24.99

SPECIAL THANKS
Muzy for passing the torch to me.
Drax and Shun for some morale support.
Aveyn Knight and his team at Serenes Forest for the prerelease info compilations compilations that I refer a lot while making this (paraphrasing included).
IntSys, KT Games and Nintendo for all those assets from official websites, and obviously for making the game

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was set on Blue Lions for a week now i'm torn again with Black Eagles, this is some bullshit man

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful OT! Absolutely can't wait to dig in this weekend. Done my best to not think about the game or look too much into it.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Dope OT. Today and tomorrow at work are going to be such drags. Thank god I have a half day tomorrow.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
One question that might come up is where you buy tomes in this game. Tomes come with the weapon level. There is a limited use per tome per battle, but they are replenished automatically

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this for about an hour now, and as someone who kept relatively in the dark about the game... wow, this is an overhaul. Just walking around the academy now meeting all the students. Very interesting so far.

I went with Blue Lions. Hard/Classic difficulty.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, do we have any information about how big is the story DLC?

I won't be buying the pass for a while, and was wondering if there's even a little chance of this having a physical release like Torna.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Monster of an OP. Just gonna unload some of my quick thoughts...
  • I'm not the only one who finds Jeritza's VA really poor, right? The character is sooooo one-note, but I can't take anything they say seriously.
  • Byleth's support conversations are really underwhelming, to the point where I didn't realise they were supports at all, but everyone else interacting is pretty fantastic.
  • The month to month mural transitions are gorgeous. The calendar system, and the monastery as a whole... I don't like at all. Has gotten old already :/ The combat/everything else ratio is kind of fucked too.
  • The game is very easy on hard, and feels like it's made the 'one unit destroys everything' approach worse with how it's set up. Battalions feel completely superfluous.
  • The music is fab.
About ~13 hours in so far.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Woo thanks Neko. Second OT in a row for a fire emblem release that you had to do! Much appreciated.

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
They chose the wrong title D:
Good OT, although I do wish it'd gone with
no one can change my mind. it's been set the moment when the torch passed to me
By the way, do we have any information about how big is the story DLC?

I won't be buying the pass for a while, and was wondering if there's even a little chance of this having a physical release like Torna.
nope no info for non-wave 1 dlc

PowerBar

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
So most of you probably can't advice me yet, but if I don't really like the social aspect of Persona, but do like strategic battle systems, would I still be able to enjoy this entry of Fire Emblem? It seems there is way more emphasis on the social aspect in the monastery than in any previous Fire Emblem games.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
Hnnnng 36 more minutes here in Japan. I just woke up from a long nap lol.

Team Golden Deer!

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
The game is very easy on hard, and feels like it's made the 'one unit destroys everything' approach worse with how it's set up. Battalions feel completely superfluous.

I've heard the complains about this earlier, but people who got further in says the game really ramps up in difficulty so it has actually a proper difficulty curve instead of the traditional inverse fire emblem one.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I think the certain students not being recruitable might not be 100% true, at least in the Golden Deer everyone was confirmed recruitable, so it might be that Dedue and Hubert are also recruitable but with even more requirements like Hilda for Golden Deer.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The OP is the first time I've seen which students belong to which house outside the lords. Still holding strong with GD but the other houses look might tempting.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Great job with the OP. I'm probably gonna go with the Black Eagles first.

Textured Monk

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OP, glad to see some stuff covered that differs from the usual FE. And the House rundown, Lions are tempting but I think it's gonna be Eagles for me.

Currently working night shifts so I'm pretty keen to go home, smash out three hours sleep, and head out to grab my copy of this.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm super into FEH but the only FE I've played before it was a few hours of Awakening. So I'm pretty excited to jump in!

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I think the certain students not being recruitable might not be 100% true, at least in the Golden Deer everyone was confirmed recruitable, so it might be that Dedue and Hubert are also recruitable but with even more requirements like Hilda for Golden Deer.

Hubert and Dedue definitely aren't recruitable in other routes, but Hilda is

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to take a nap at some point today so I can break night playing this.

Extremely excited to play this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.