• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not done on GD yet but I think my main thing re Claude is
he mostly doesn't have any personal stake in the story as a whole, GD is kind of the 'I'm caught between two fucking crazy people' house and it kind of flattens the story a lot

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Enemy swordmasters are the worst -- they will legit oneshot most non-tanks with silver sword doubles, and I find that on hard enemy archers will often oneshot fliers if you roll the dice on leaving one open (which is not the case on normal -- they'll chunk heavily but very often miss outright and even if they hit, it's not a oneshot).
I always kept someone with Steal available, and rarely did it pay off, but having enough Aurora Shields for my fliers was a real win.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
He states as much. People don't trust him because they have no idea where he comes from and why he appeared when he did, and he doesn't do anything to help those concerns. I'd say that qualifies as a dubious past. I'm also a PoC and as superficial as it may sound, was the major reason I went GD first. I REALLY wanted to like Claude, but there's just so little there, with minimal resolution to all the hinting and scheming. So I found out where his father was from, which I figured out myself. This was one of those times that warranted more exposition.

Dubious to the rest of the characters makes more sense -- I understood it as from the player's point of view, so my bad. I'm not finished with GD route but I am post timeskip and I agree that he isn't as compelling a character as you would want from one of the three main lords. We'll see whether the rest of the story does much for me.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
User banned (3 days): Inflammatory generalisation over multiple posts
I just started playing and right off the bat it has item degradation. Ugh. What extreme fucking moron told Japanese game devs this is a good idea. I feel like pissing on my Switch. Fuck.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing and right off the bat it has item degradation. Ugh. What extreme fucking moron told Japanese game devs this is a good idea. I feel like pissing on my Switch. Fuck.
Weapon durability is a staple of the series, hell they even incorporated it into the moveset of an FE character in Smash.

It's not a huge deal in this game since you can just replace or repair the weapons before every battle.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
weapon degradation is only really annoying for staples like iron weapons or whatever, it makes sense for legendary crap or killer-class weapons etc

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Pretty much don't have any answer other than I disagreed with Rhea and whether or not something is fitting to the setting has limited bearing on my own take. *shrug*

The... obvious dubious past? You mean the part where he's very obviously a POC in (white, apparently either at war or annexing all neighboring racial minority regions) Fodlan and isn't keen on discussing it? Which is not to say that I find Claude super compelling as a character, but "obvious dubious past" seems like a weird reason for that.

How was her punishment not justified is the question no one seems to answer outside, 'well, the game seemed to make it looked bad'. It isn't like the game did anything to show the Western Church was innocent. Especially when one of the bonus chapters:

Have them grave robbing and trying to kill you.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn I forgot how extremely shitty most Japanese games are. 99% of my first hour has been hammering the X button through stupid dialog rather than actually playing the video game. Between this and the incredibly stupid item degradation I think I wasted my money. Maybe a few hours from now I will get to actually play a video game.

It even keeps interrupting me to choose a save space. Like, you dumb fucks from 2003, just SAVE. Fuck.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Dubious to the rest of the characters makes more sense -- I understood it as from the player's point of view, so my bad. I'm not finished with GD route but I am post timeskip and I agree that he isn't as compelling a character as you would want from one of the three main lords. We'll see whether the rest of the story does much for me.

At least Barbarossa is freaking amazing. I wish I could make e every character one.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I forgot how extremely shitty most Japanese games are. 99% of my first hour has been hammering the X button through stupid dialog rather than actually playing the video game. Between this and the incredibly stupid item degradation I think I wasted my money. Maybe a few hours from now I will get to actually play a video game.

It even keeps interrupting me to choose a save space. Like, you dumb fucks from 2003, just SAVE. Fuck.

Definitely not overreacting.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017

You're mad a JRPG has story and dialogue?

You knew what game you were buying right?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Great I thought I was finally going to get to play the game and now I am watching anime with some teacher with big bouncing titties man I really should have done my homework before buying this game

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Where is Annette in chapter 7? I can't find her. I can eat with her but she's not on the map.

Edit: NVM. My dumb ass skipped over her.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Keeping multiple saves is incredibly important in a game like this if you want to optimize thing.

You pobably should have gotten another FE game if you wanted more of a focus on battles. This game puts a fairly large emphasis on stuff at the monastery.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney

You sound impatient.
But this won't get better. I tend to enjoy taking my time, be even I got annoyed with the Slice of Life stuff in the latter half of the game.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong I should have known better. Now I feel like I am on an adventure

Also all JRPG's have a story, but few halt the player from actually playing the game like this

I honestly don't really know what you're talking about since I thought the game got to a battle fairly quickly? I mean yeah there's a few cutscenes and dialogue to start the game but there has to be some exposition to set up the scenario.

Maybe this isn't the game for you.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I honestly don't really know what you're talking about since I thought the game got to a battle fairly quickly? I mean yeah there's a few cutscenes and dialogue to start the game but there has to be some exposition to set up the scenario.

Maybe this isn't the game for you.

I have been watching some anime break with no dialog or context for like three minutes now.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Alright I did it. Beat the game on the BE route. Really enjoyed it and the story.

So, what's the next best house to play through? Specifically, it would be cool if I could either get a fairly new experience, or one which deepens my understanding of the previous story.

Going to leave the game suspended at the decision until I gather the arguments.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Chapter 17 on the Blue Lions route was no joke, good lord I think I used almost all of my Divine Pulses that time trying to find the perfect strategy. First time I used more than one or two on a single map.

Really loving my crew though. I've basically built an army of glass cannons but it's working for me.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I did it. Beat the game on the BE route. Really enjoyed it and the story.

So, what's the next best house to play through? Specifically, it would be cool if I could either get a fairly new experience, or one which deepens my understanding of the previous story.

Going to leave the game suspended at the decision until I gather the arguments.
BL and BE-E are complementary, while GD and BE-C largely cover different ground from the other two - they're more focused on the deeper lore and mysteries of the setting than the primary conflict covered in BL/BE-E.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
How was her punishment not justified is the question no one seems to answer outside, 'well, the game seemed to make it looked bad'. It isn't like the game did anything to show the Western Church was innocent. Especially when one of the bonus chapters:

Have them grave robbing and trying to kill you.

No, I'm fairly sure I said I disagree with executions of civilians without trial and evidence. You take her word that they're guilty. Yes, Lonato and his soldiers were involved in a military uprising and I already killed them in a mission. I don't know to what extent the rest of the Western Church or Eastern Church that Rhea and her friends keep condemning are actually evil. SHRUG EMOJI.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
When can I recruit Hanneman and Manuela? Whenever I talk to them, there's no option to recruit. I've been able to recruit Catherine and Shamir however.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
When can I recruit Hanneman and Manuela? Whenever I talk to them, there's no option to recruit. I've been able to recruit Catherine and Shamir however.

Recruiting church people is gated by story progression -- you'll get the recruit option eventually for Hanneman, Manuela, and Alois towards the end of part 1.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
eh whatever this game is the height of boredom. Going to throw it away and buy a new Switch game. Thank god $60 isn't even an hour of my salary

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
No, I'm fairly sure I said I disagree with executions of civilians without trial and evidence. You take her word that they're guilty. Yes, Lonato and his soldiers were involved in a military uprising and I already killed them in a mission. I don't know to what extent the rest of the Western Church or Eastern Church that Rhea and her friends keep condemning are actually evil. SHRUG EMOJI.

No evidence? They attack you and your students in the tomb. What evidences are you talking about? I know they're guilty because I fought their asses and the game further confirmed this when I fought them yet again. I don't have to take Rhea at her word other than the Western Church was manipulated by the other evil cult.

Also, in the game, we never seen Rhea excrete civilians. We only have other people's word that she did. The people we have seen Rhea ordered to be killed have been literally people who pointed a sword at me and tried to kill me and my students.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I love the vacant look on Hilda's face as she twists and rocks side to side during Explore conversations.

Marianne's paralogue is pretty crazy, but I was cocky and bum rushed the objective. If I had gone through it more patiently I wouldn't have had to rewind so many times.

I wasnt able to recruit her on this route but I keep hearing how much of a nightmare her paralogue is. I'm kinda happy that all these challenging maps were optional.

Lmao, yes.

Lys is a treasure, her extreme devotion to sweet stuff is hilarious.

You gotta love a teammate who always has cake on standby.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
No evidence? They attack you and your students in the tomb. What evidences are you talking about? I know they're guilty because I fought their asses and the game further confirmed this when I fought them yet again. I don't have to take Rhea at her word other than the Western Church was manipulated by the other evil cult.

Also, in the game, we never seen Rhea excrete civilians. We only have other people's word that she did. The people we have seen Rhea ordered to be killed have been literally people who pointed a sword at me and tried to kill me and my students.

...the clergy executed in that cutscene were literally not the people who pointed a sword at Byleth? If they were, they would already be dead on the battlefield. The quote that I gave earlier is an actual, literal quote that RHEA says herself -- she's fine with executing civilians.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Finished up my first play through over the weekend with Claude and the Golden Deer. Great game; easily my favorite Fire Emblem since Awakening, and one of my favorite games so far this year. I was apprehensive about the school setting, but thank god they shook things up and revamped the series. The multi-faction story was also executed much better here than in Fates. I'm genuinely curious about how things play out in the other routes, and crazy as it sounds after 60 hours with the game I already started a second play through.

Also, the music is excellent. Shame that Nintendo (or could it be Koei?) seems intent on keeping it off of Youtube. Is the OST available for sale anywhere?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The scene may have try to make me uneasy, but it didn't.
The way a story presents its characters helps to get a grasp of said characters. Who would've thought.

And seeing some of the most recent comments (as more and more people complete more routes), as much as I can understand ...
Wanting to fight Edelgard for her betrayal/attack and other misdeeds, I find it super weird that people don't seem to see the shit Rhea does, shit the games goes to great length to tell it's at the very least super sketchy, which even freakin' Seteth sometimes comments on in a critical way.

Even your inner time manipulating goddess (which is actually Rhea's "mother") tells you to beware of her lol

And I won't even mention the warnings of more minor characters such as your Dad, Shamir, or even Alois IIRC.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
...the clergy executed in that cutscene were literally not the people who pointed a sword at Byleth? If they were, they would already be dead on the battlefield. The quote that I gave earlier is an actual, literal quote that RHEA says herself -- she's fine with executing civilians.

They were people who involved in it since they were like, 'wait, we weren't told this would happened'. Not that, 'you got the wrong people'.

She may have said she was fine with executing civilians, but we didn't see it. Literally every person we've seen Rhea ordered death to did something to invoked it. They weren't innocent people who were doing nothing. So this is a case of, 'show, don't tell'. In fact, the only time we've seen Rhea kill innocent people is in the alternate Black Eagle route.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The way a story presents its characters helps to get a grasp of said characters. Who would've thought.

And ending some of the comments (as more and more people complete more routes) as much as I can understand ...
Wanting to fight Edelgard for her betrayal/attack and other misdeeds, I find it super weird that people don't seem to see the shit Rhea does, shit the games goes to great length to tell it's at the very least super sketchy, which even freakin' Seteth sometimes comments on in a critical way.

Even your inner time manipulating goddess which is actually Rhea's "mother" tells you to beware of her lol

And I won't even mention the warnings of more minor characters such as your Dad, Shamir, or even Alois IIRC.

Except the only thing the characters gave us was, 'that's too harsh'. So wait, you're thought they were get a light punishment? And it's funny that one of them people who thought it was too harsh was Edelgard who tried to kill two of her classmates in the first chapter and they literally did nothing to deserve it. So that scene comes off as her being hypocritical.

On the bold, this isn't true at all. I have seen almost everyone here shit on what Rhea did and call her 'crazy dragon lady'. I've seen almost no support or love for Rhea here and even those who do like her said she did crazy shit. I have seen far more justification for Edelgard's actions over Rhea. In fact, I haven't seen anyone besides me say that the execution scene didn't phase me.

Yeah, they warn you about Rhea, but in the end, she only goes crazy in one route. She actually gets capture in two routes by Edelgard and is somewhat sane in another. Even her reasons for turning the Avatar into a vessel was done on their mother's request since you we dead. In comparison, Edelgard goes nuts on all paths except her own and unlike Rhea who dies in two paths to somewhat redeem herself, Edelgard gets away with her crap on her own route and her sins are never brought up again by your character. At least the Avatar directly confront Rhea on her behavior and makes her explain herself.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
They were people who involved in it since they were like, 'wait, we weren't told this would happened'. Not that, 'you got the wrong people'.

She may have said she was fine with executing civilians, but we didn't see it. Literally every person we've seen Rhea ordered death to did something to invoked it. They weren't innocent people who were doing nothing. So this is a case of, 'show, don't tell'. In fact, the only time we've seen Rhea kill innocent people is in the alternate Black Eagle route.

This debate is going nowhere. 1. I disagree that they're provably guilty. 2. Even if they are guilty, I disagree with unilateral executions. Like, okay, you disagree with me; this is pointless. *shrug*

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played a game in the series before so I went in completely blind, went with Golden Deer. I was only going to play for a bit before bed and three hours later I had to force myself to shut it off so I can get some sleep. I think I'm going to get pretty sucked in. Also, the music has been excellent so far.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, they warn you about Rhea, but in the end, she only goes crazy in one route.
She literally ...
Tries to kill you in pretty much every route (unless I'm mistaken and there are variations in other routes, but I very much doubt so). What do you think was supposed to happen when she asked you to sit on that throne? Where does that "failed experiment" line come from? Just out of spite for your "betrayal"?

She hoped that Sothis would take over your body. Effectively "killing" you (turns out you already fused, too bad for her 🤷‍♀️)

Seriously at what point were you supposed to be loyal to her anyway? A teacher's duty should be to its students, not the principal.

Status
Not open for further replies.