• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I take it this took a bunch of resetting for str level ups.

Nah wyver rider upgrade sets the str of the char as 18 (+3 extra from class so its 21) if under 18. Add to that a batallion that adds physical damage (+5 or more) and axefaire from class (+5) a good weapon and anyone can hit hard. And you can take that cert at lvl 20 so thats pretty early. the hardest part is getting the axe rank on lys as she doenst like axes.

You can even add death blow for an extra +6 per swing and even an extra axe faire from weapon rank for +5 on top of that.

My lys still hits harder from mag, but she can also hit from regular axes now

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that my Raphael has a whopping 1 resistance. I may have to give him a certification in a magic class to bring it up a bit.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just decided to bench Felix because I really don't need another 'on the ground damage dealer' with Caspar, Edelgard and Byleth already playing that role in my party setup. He's also a recruit so I know that I can use him more in a Blue Lions playthrough. So my final team set up is:

Byleth - Enlightened One
Edelgard - Fortress Knight/Armoured Lord (will decide after time skip)
Hubert - Dark Bishop
Ferdinand - Paladin
Linhardt - Bishop
Caspar - War Master
Bernadetta - Bow Knight
Dorothea - Dancer
Petra - Wyvern Lord
Ingrid
- Pegasus Knight

So 3 grounded damage dealers, 3 mounted damage dealers, 3 ranged damage dealers (I've specced Dorothea quite heavily into Reason) and 1 healer/support.

All good?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Just decided to bench Felix because I really don't need another 'on the ground damage dealer' with Caspar, Edelgard and Byleth already playing that role in my party setup. He's also a recruit so I know that I can use him more in a Blue Lions playthrough. So my final team set up is:

Byleth - Enlightened One
Hubert - Dark Bishop
Ferdinand - Paladin
Linhardt - Bishop
Caspar - War Master
Bernadetta - Bow Knight
Dorothea - Dancer
Petra - Wyvern Lord
Ingrid
- Pegasus Knight

So 3 grounded damage dealers, 3 mounted damage dealers, 3 ranged damage dealers (I've specced Dorothea quite heavily into Reason) and 1 healer/support.

All good?
That's pretty similar to what my BE team looked like. The only difference was that I recruited Sylvain and made him a Wyvern Lord and kept Petra on the ground as an Assassin.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Male only class which STINKS.

Gender-specific classes are one of the worst parts of the game imo. In a game that's so focused on "everyone can be anything," it's just really backwards that they chose to strictly block off classes for no reason whatsoever. At the very least they could just change the names/looks of the gender-specific classes and keep the stats (so men get Dragon Knight instead of Pegasus Knight, Cleric instead of Bishop for women, etc) because the way it is right now is just ridiculous.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Byleth - Enlightened One
Hubert - Dark Bishop
Ferdinand - Paladin
Linhardt - Bishop
Caspar - War Master
Bernadetta - Bow Knight
Dorothea - Dancer
Petra - Wyvern Lord
Ingrid
- Pegasus Knight

All good?
That's fine for end game. I would recommend going armored lord over fortress knight if you don't plan on going great knight. The extra movement helps a great deal, and Edelgard's defense is so high that Pavise doesn't do a ton for you.

Plum

May 31, 2018
That's pretty similar to what my BE team looked like. The only difference was that I recruited Sylvain and made him a Wyvern Lord and kept Petra on the ground as an Assassin.

I did spec Petra quite heavily into the Assassin role but there was literally no-one else on my team who could take up a Flying class (why I recruited Ingrid) so she kind of had to switch priorities there. Byleth kind of plays that role anyway, and on Normal it's not like the stealth bonuses really matter too much.

That's fine for end game. I would recommend going armored lord over fortress knight if you don't plan on going great knight. The extra movement helps a great deal, and Edelgard's defense is so high that Pavise doesn't do a ton for you.

That's probably what I'll do, yeah. I did notice in the clean up battle I played that the Fortress Knight movement is pretty awful; and whilst it's fun yeeting her into enemy crowds with Linhardt's Warp some extra movement would be better.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Any advice on how to get the Dark Seal in Chapter 8? Just tried to kill the Death Knight but at some point in the mission Jeralt decided to go and kill Thomas, so didn't have enough time for the Seal

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I love Dorothea but I sorta feel bad for using her. She does not want to be involved in any of this shit.

Especially post time-skip, it kind of feels like she's just gotten the life kicked out of her and would rather be doing literally anything else than being stuck in a war. I think there's an interesting story with her character I'm not sure the game's going to tell, since she was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time and is now stuck doing the thing she likes least with the highest possible consequences. I know there are other sorta pacifists like Lindhart but Dorothea actively apologizes and laments the state of things as her battle dialogue.

I like how in the second half of the game, every single one of your units can train you during free time, really helps you build the professor into different kind of things if you want. But something I'm finding quite glaring is how what they are actually good at has no bearing on what they can teach you. Someone with a C rank lances and a S+ rank riding skill can't train you in riding but can train you in lances, for example. Stuff like that. I think it should be based on what their skills are actually at instead of what 2 skills the designers thought they wanted to give to each character.

I could have sworn that how good they were at those ranks influenced what and how good they were at training you back, but I could be totally wrong.

Me after watching Ignatz's C-level supports:
arlo.png

SOMEONE JUST LET HIM PAINT

Just beat chapter 18 of GD, story starts to drag a bit... I hope the next mission changes that

Missions where you have to beat the commander are way to easy, just rush him/her with a fast unit.

One thing that's generally been a good rule of thumb in FE games is to not waste precious EXP. Unless your army is super over leveled or the map is giving you tons of trouble, it's generally wise to try and kill every enemy possible to raise your units level/ranks instead of going for the quick finish.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any advice on how to get the Dark Seal in Chapter 8? Just tried to kill the Death Knight but at some point in the mission Jeralt decided to go and kill Thomas, so didn't have enough time for the Seal
Put a thief near where that unit spawns and steal it.

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
my Raphael has become an absolute unit - I know people have more broken characters but once I can throw a Crit ring on him he'll have a 40%+ crit rate on every hit

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I love Dorothea but I sorta feel bad for using her. She does not want to be involved in any of this shit.

Especially post time-skip, it kind of feels like she's just gotten the life kicked out of her and would rather be doing literally anything else than being stuck in a war. I think there's an interesting story with her character I'm not sure the game's going to tell, since she was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time and is now stuck doing the thing she likes least with the highest possible consequences. I know there are other sorta pacifists like Lindhart but Dorothea actively apologizes and laments the state of things as her battle dialogue.
Dorothea was definitely caught up in shit she didn't sign up for. Her original goal in getting into the Officers Academy was as a means to find a suitor to marry so her future after her opera career would be secure. Actually becoming a military officer and fighting in a war was the last thing she wanted.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At 140 hours now, I've completed Golden Deer!

Last map wasn't too bad, it was just long.

First thing's first, wow I sucked at the pairings compared to BE. The only romantic pairing was Byleth lol, and sorta Ignatz if you count him getting with Raphael's sister.

This was a pretty good route. Looking at the ingame timer I spent about as long on it as I did BE A, which is crazy to me, I thought I was going fast.

This route was clearly going for something different than the other two routes, which is fine. Golden Deer as a route seems much less serious than the others and it was nice to have that because boy was BE A exhausting by the end (in a good way though). It's very straightforward and reactive. Bad guys show up, beat the bad guys, celebrate, etc.

I think for the most part your second house pick is always going to suffer under the shadow of your first house, so I try not to be too harsh here (probably doesn't help that GD is significantly more conventional too). For a "lore" route, it filled in a lot of the blanks I had, which is nice because I dunno when I'll get around to the church route.

But I think the whole route kind of sticks out in a bad way. Claude is pretty much doing his own thing the whole route, which is nice on paper but as a result I feel like the story is a lot less interesting (as well as the character himself). He lacks any kind of personal stakes in the Edelgard/Dimitri drama so Chapter 17 kind of ends up as a wet fart than something truly poignant in the plot. He develops in the sense that he learns to trust others, but that development is so lacking that I didn't even notice it until much later. Also while I'm sure in those times ending racism is an amazing goal, any kind of lecture about it during the story just looked to me like "Baby's First Racism" lesson, and my eyes rolled back into my head. Not to mention the, "does Cyril look like a monster to you?" part ehhhh

The rest of the cast is also pretty lacking, I found most of them to be pretty one note-y, especially students like Hilda and Raphael, though they had their own bright spots in their supports (Please do HildaxSeteth and RaphaelxFlayn, you'll thank me later), so as a result I didn't fall for them nearly as hard as I did BE.

It probably also doesn't help Golden Deer that the flaws start to show the more you play. The monastery is super pointless in the second half, and kills the pacing (seriously putting an entire month in the middle of the last battle??). Professor points get really broken. The second half was also too long I felt, and could've been cut by about 2 or 3 chapters (Chapter 19 and 20 could've just been one thing for instance). In retrospect 18 chapters for BE A was nice.

This post kind of reads like I hated it and that's not true I swear (or else I wouldn't have finished it). I just found it to be disappointing (especially Claude himself, what a bummer). Gameplay wise, this had to be one of my smoothest FE runs. Aside from Lorenz who really sucked towards the end, everyone else was an absolute unit and contributed to every map in the game. I can't pick who was my best unit to be honest, they were all so good.

Super excited to get started with Blue Lions though. I hope King Edgelord delivers on the hype.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question in regards to other routes by this point

So after Dimitri's scene at the ball and his reaction to the dagger at the start of Chapter 11 it seems pretty obvious who the Flame Emperor is. This makes me wonder, is it easy to discern who it is on other routes by this point?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

afaik green units cant kill enemy units that would finish the mission. they always leave them at 1hp. they can die to their counters tho

Quick question in regards to other routes by this point

So after Dimitri's scene at the ball and his reaction to the dagger at the start of Chapter 11 it seems pretty obvious who the Flame Emperor is. This makes me wonder, is it easy to discern who it is on other routes by this point?

There are more hints in BE
There are no hints in GD iirc.

The one thing is that in all 3 routes
the main lord of the house always leaves the scene whenever the Flame Emperor is on screen. But in BE and BL there are hints at who the Flame Emperor is. In GD there isnt so Claude's abscense end ups being a red herring by coincidence haha

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first FE game and I loved it but tight for time. What's the one FE game on 3DS I should play?

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017

I constantly used Rescue on Jeralt to keep him away from Tomas until I had finished collecting all chests and stuff lol.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ferdinand: "I will rally what remains of my house's forces to help the church defend against the Empire."

Dorothea: "I have been looking after a group of war orphans, we should shelter them in the monastery and they can help out looking after the place."

Linhardt: "I robbed my dad, here's 5000 gold."

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oof, my GD post was sacrificed to the last post gods.

Think I'm gonna drop down to Normal/Casual for my BL run, I'm just here for the story at this point, and I can feel the burnout creeping in.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Wait...

I'm now fighting against Edelgard and am tasked with protecting the Crest stones. Does this mean I'm on the Church route or can I still side with Edelgard?

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
After I finish GE, which house best compliments that story (and is more different overall) for a second playthrough, BL or GD?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn that how good they were at those ranks influenced what and how good they were at training you back, but I could be totally wrong.

Nah. The game definitely picks two skills that they are likely to be good at, but it doesn't look at what they are actively good at on the current playthrough. So for every character they picked two skills they have blue up arrows in when you are training them, but the games does not actually care which of their blue up arrow skills (or other skills for that matter) they have highly ranked. Which leads to things like Bernadette with S riding wanting to teach me lances and bows despite being c ranked in lances.
This is for advanced drills anyway. I have never used seminars outside of the forced tutorial so it might be different there.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Pete Carroll after engineering a one-turn Hail Mary play for the Eagles on Conflict at the Holy Tomb. All it took was both Ferdinand and Sylvain on horseback with Stride, the Warp Squad (Lys and Lin) and Dancer Dorothea all working to carry Byleth downfield, and with two shakes of her Levin Sword the commander went down! The Flame Emperor just got taken to school!

jk bae, let's burn this place to the ground.

Side note: my god, the presentation of that post-mission sequence was so much better on the Blue Lions run. The Black Eagles couldn't even get an anime cutscene?

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
War Master Ignatz will be the new meta someday. He likes to paint and punch monsters in the face.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So, Combat Arts kind of... suck, right or am I missing something?

Great in a number of circumstances

1) it's the only way to kill a foe without having to rely on a low % crit

2) it won't kill and you're trying to feed a kill to one of your weaker character

3) for ones effective against monsters it'll instantly break a shield

I use combat arts all the time, they're best with your training/iron weapons that have the durability to spare. Obviously all of the above can apply to silver/killer/relic weapons, but they can be costly and should be a last ditch emergency.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Originally I was going to do the BE C route after finishing BE E (I made sure to have an extra save) but the more I get into BE E the less I ever want to play BE C.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Originally I was going to do the BE C route after finishing BE E (I made sure to have an extra save) but the more I get into BE E the less I ever want to play BE C.

Pretty much, after going through Black Eagles/Crimson Flower, the less I wanna play the Black Eagles/Silver Snow. If I'm ever gonna play it it will prolly be my last playthrough to get the entire narrative of the game.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When I had him using a bow I'm pretty sure he was using paint brushes for arrows considering the damage he was doing.

Yeah, he would probably need Death Blow and, like, all the Energy Drops for him to deal decent damage as a War Master. Good old noodle-armed Ignatz.

He would get a lot of crits, though.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, after going through Black Eagles/Crimson Flower, the less I wanna play the Black Eagles/Silver Snow. If I'm ever gonna play it it will prolly be my last playthrough to get the entire narrative of the game.
Yeah, the BE C route is going to be my "last" run, but then I do plan to cap it off with a final BE E route repeat run after that haha.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm in February right now and this is 100% me

EB3j-lqVAAEwk_g

Felix the edgelord. I don't think I've seen his Flayn supports yet now that I think about it. Also, this is one of those cases where I desperately want to share this with someone because it's hilarious but I can think of literally 1 person who would get it and he's not on social media :(

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

Id probably space out the Black Eagle routes. I finished C today and Ill probably hit E after GD. Need some space from this house for a while hah.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Felix the edgelord. I don't think I've seen his Flayn supports yet now that I think about it. Also, this is one of those cases where I desperately want to share this with someone because it's hilarious but I can think of literally 1 person who would get it and he's not on social media :(
haha yeah I'm not really using flayn (got Merce, Lyndhart and Marianna as healers) but as luck would have it, I had felix next to her during the paralogue and got the Support C, now I kinda want to see the rest...

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Well, finishing up Ch 8. All of my units now have Vantage, with the exception of the mages, and everyone is focusing on riding/flying. Hilda is the MVP, finishing up thievery to focus on Wyverns. She's going to fly around the map stealing crap and just wrecking stuff very, very soon. A Wyvern Rider with Vantage, and thievery should be pretty good. She doubles EVERYTHING she faces due to some pretty good strength, speed, and dexterity.

Raphael, my boy is finally growing into the Warrior he was always supposed to be

My Lysithea has actually been gimped via bad RNG so she's just okay (though she is THE monster slayer), and surprise/surprise my top mage is actually Marianne when it comes to just plain laying people out. Also have Sylvain, and Mercedes on the mage front as well. Every mage I have has high speed/good magic to double attack most of the time. However, poor Lorenz has been relegated to backup duty because he's just too slow at present, and doesn't have Physic to remain useful.

Petra replaced poor Ignatz, and she is fixing to move to Assassin - freaking amazing at producing crits with killer weapons. Catherine also has requirements for Assassin, so after mastering Swordmaster, she will be moving on to pick up lethality. Byleth will soon be a Swordmaster as well, so I have plenty of brawn to balance all the archers and mages.

As for archers, both Leonie and Claude will soon be snipers. Most of my units are L19 going into the final map of Ch8, so promotion day is coming soon!

I just wish I had more time to play, as I will be vacating the thread soon to avoid spoilers. I absolutely love this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.