• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I am on my first playthough (Golden Deers) I think I am close to the end and I gotta say most of the Master Classes are kinda underwhelming, I miss the utility the Assassin brings or how the Priest(?) heals more HP than the Holy Knight, I may consider keeping some of my units in Advanced promotions for future playthroughts

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I'm actually considering making Lysithea my dancer when the decision comes, because she has spells galore, but hasn't really received good stats when leveling up. She can still wreck stuff, but she's just not as handy as a unit like Marrianne, who has good magic, speed, and amazing resistance so I can put her in the thick of things and not worry too much about her, even when three or four units target her. Kind of like Mercedes, who is definitely the best healer out there simply by recovering HP when healing other units

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game with the Golden Deer. The Manuela romance is hilarious and sweet.

Don't think i'll jump into the other routes for a long while. I was starting to get a bit bored of the game in the last few months, so I think i'll need a decent break before trying to play either of the other houses.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
God-shattering Star is really good. Makes up for how bad the music from the GD map before that was.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Bwahaha. Lystheia with s rank black magic gets another +1 range, so with the +2 staff she can just basically reach anything on the map with her 5 range. Redonkulous.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
90 hours later and I've finally finished my GD playthrough.

Enjoyed it a ton, but the story feels kind of inconsequential in the later stages compared to what I've been hearing from the BE & BL routes. So in that respect, I'm glad GD was the first house I played through. That said, I can't wait to go through other two houses (especially BL given what I know about what I know) which is a testament to how good this game is.

Also, I cannot imagine future playthroughs without Lysithea in my party.
The dodge+attack animations with the bow have to be one of my favorite things.
especially when mounted.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am on my first playthough (Golden Deers) I think I am close to the end and I gotta say most of the Master Classes are kinda underwhelming, I miss the utility the Assassin brings or how the Priest(?) heals more HP than the Holy Knight, I may consider keeping some of my units in Advanced promotions for future playthroughts
Other than a select few classes such as Mortal Savant, Falcon Knight, Wyvern Master and War Master the rest are just an upgrade in mobility but not utility.

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm probably going to go ahead and do BL rather than waiting for Lunatic. Already did Golden Deer on Hard/Classic, and won't be doing NG+. What additional challenges do people suggest to keep things fresh? No recruit? No free battles other than paralogues and quests to unlock town stuff? Do either really make a huge difference?

I don't think Hard/Classic is generally too easy, but I do need a little bit more to keep a replay interesting.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm really enjoying this game a lot but at the same time it feels kinda... cheaply made?

For instance, a lot of the character interactions just feel so robotic. Nothing but them standing still talking to each other with the same 3 animations playing over and over for the whole cast. Any scenes with action or something happening just has the screen go black or something. People just standing still at the monastery for checkpoint dialogues. No one has a routine. Even the backgrounds when you talk to people are these awful, warped static images for some reason.

It's still a good game but I just wish more time was put into these interactions or something to increase the production value and interest in support scenes and life around the monastery.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying this game a lot but at the same time it feels kinda... cheaply made?

For instance, a lot of the character interactions just feel so robotic. Nothing but them standing still talking to each other with the same 3 animations playing over and over for the whole cast. Any scenes with action or something happening just has the screen go black or something. People just standing still at the monastery for checkpoint dialogues. No one has a routine. Even the backgrounds when you talk to people are these awful, warped static images for some reason.

It's still a good game but I just wish more time was put into these interactions or something to increase the production value and interest in support scenes and life around the monastery.
Compared to past FE games, the support conversations are miles better in presentation. It used to be that they were just static character portraits and a text box.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Frankly I'm just glad pretty much everything is voice acted. I'd have missed that more than improving the visuals of the conversations.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
So I'm probably going to go ahead and do BL rather than waiting for Lunatic. Already did Golden Deer on Hard/Classic, and won't be doing NG+. What additional challenges do people suggest to keep things fresh? No recruit? No free battles other than paralogues and quests to unlock town stuff? Do either really make a huge difference?

I don't think Hard/Classic is generally too easy, but I do need a little bit more to keep a replay interesting.
Randomized classes

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
r50iArz.png

Never thought to do this...

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Just beat the Church route as well
I think I prefered the route where you side with Edelgard since it felt a bit different storywise to be the conqueror, compared to the Church route which felt more standard FE with being part of a resistance group. It also made the war seem a bit rougher imo since you faced off against more former students. Whereas you hardly saw any GD or BL in Silver Snow.

It also felt like the BE students took a bit of the back seat in the church route, but I guess that's mostly because Edelgard and Hubert was replaced with Seteth and Flayn. I'm sad that Bernie never left her room as well :'( there was some lines as well that her father got released from Edelgard's house arrest after she was defeated which made me go "Oh no.."

It was nice to get some answers about Byleth though! Both Seteth and Rhea always said "I'll tell you later" so for a while I even doubted that the game would tell me.

Ended up S-ranking Seteth, since it felt kinda suiting haha. Still didn't reach the awesomeness of the two power duos that was f!Byleth x Edelgard and Hubert x Ferdinand.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

A "no/minimal monastery" run could be extremely challenging, even before Lunatic. Low professor level, very limited class selection for Byleth because no teacher training, harshly limited funds and motivation, etc.

What the fuck

Is Dedue really dead? He was my best unit/tank!

If you want to know:

Depends if you did his paralogue. Helps that they give you Gilbert early on.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm doing my Golden Deer playthrough now, I just finished Dorothea and Ingrid's Paralogue and they gave me a Relic.

They didn't give me that Relic when I finished that same Paralogue in the Black Eagles playthrough.

There are a lot more differences than I thought between routes, this is great.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing my Golden Deer playthrough now, I just finished Dorothea and Ingrid's Paralogue and they gave me a Relic.

They didn't give me that Relic when I finished that same Paralogue in the Black Eagles playthrough.

There are a lot more differences than I thought between routes, this is great.

Did you have Ingrid in your class? I believe that is why you didn't get the Relic.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm at a wall with these Lost Items. Does the game only let you give them out once you learn that thing about that particular character?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Honestly, the more I looked at Edelgard's personal route, the more I think it's the most dull and worst executed of all the story branches.

Once you side with Edelgard, everything becomes about her and Rhea going nuts. Which is really annoying since her time as the Flame Emperor and her dealing with TWSD are only touched upon in Hubert's supports and at the end where Edelgard vows to crushed them. You don't even get to fight (outside of text at the end of the route) or interact with them despite them supposedly being Edelgard's allies. They just disappeared after the time skip. That and no one ever finds out that she hired the bandits to kill Dimitri and Claude at the start of the game. And probably the most damning thing for me is her betraying you in the Holy Tomb is never mentioned, not even by her classmates. She used you and your class, ordered you deaths if you try to stop you, and even personally tries to kill you, yet all is forgiven because Rhea goes crazy dragon. Like come on, Edelgard should have been taken to task over that even if you side with her.

That and Edelgard in comparison to Dimitri, whose route is also his personal story that doesn't really focuses on the world, is dull. Edelgard doesn't change. She's less of a bitch compared to her other routes, but she's largely the same and she's never called out for what she did in Part 1. In comparison, Dimitri drastically changes through his story and is constantly called out on his crap to the point that his attitude gets someone he cared for killed. That and probably the bigger character for him is that he tried to make peace with Edelgard despite all the crap he put him through and no one would blame him killing her at that moment.

Third, reasons many of the people side with Edelgard if you chose her are half baked, especially if you compared their dialog to what they say if you side against Edelgard. One that comes to mind is Ferdinand. In his support with Hubert, he actually says that the reason why he wants to be better than Edelgard is because it his duty to guide her and keep her from going too far. He actually dislikes that Hubert kisses Edelgard's ass and not questions anything she does. Yet, he more or less does just that when he sides with Edelgard. Yeah, the public schools was his idea, but it really stands out that Ferdinand never confronts Edelgard about the stuff she did up to that point. Like wasn't ordering their deaths in the Holy Tomb not count as 'going too far'? Also Petra. She sounded the most hurt from Edelgard's betrayal, even asking if she really used them this entire time. Her follow up if you side with the Church is heartbreaking and she gave probably the most compelling reason to fight Edelgard. However, this is all thrown away if she's with Edelgard and is all for 'killing the beast', and never questions Edelgard again about using them.

Finally and my biggest grip with the route, the story bends over backwards to make Edelgard look better and present her as the underdog fighting a powerful god. In all routes, Edelgard is winning the war and even captures Rhea. However, in her personal route, not only is Rhea still at large, but for some reason she stalemated. Why is Byleth joining her make her fall behind and she failed to captured Rhea? Heck, with Byleth at her side, she should have more easily captured. It's really forced and no explanation is given for the change. There is also Rhea being far more nutty. I can buy her going off the rails because Byleth betrayed her, but I find it weird that she didn't go crazy dragon when Edelgard captured her and is sane once you freed her. That and she probably believed you were dead for fives years, so the idea that her mother died again should have set Rhea off and reign holy fire on Edelgard, but it didn't.

All and all, Edelgard's route feels half-baked. Edelgard doesn't change like Dimitri and her story is basically you taking over the world and killing Rhea with no contact with TWSD despite them being your 'allies'. I also don't get why the Death Knight disappears in her route since he came to your aid in Chapter 12 and Edelgard promises to explain everything, and proceed to never tell you anything. And the story have to alternate itself far more than any other routes to gimped Edelgard and empower Rhea to make her more of a foe for Edelgard to take down with Byleth, despite her doing that herself in all routes and even managed to take Rhea alive to boot. The route honestly comes off as a power fantasy where you take down the gods and free the world, with all the grayness from the other side being severally downplayed. Byleth enabling Edelgard and never confronting her over her acts on the Flame Emperor is also a severe oversight and you need to get support with Hubert if you want anything before the end of the game. That and Byleth's reasons for even joining Edelgard are never explored.

This route would have been so much better if they kept Edelgard having the edge like every other route and the story focuses more on trying to keep her in line like Dimitri and exploring more of the flaws in her thinking along with her dealings as the Flame Emperor while also helping her finish her conquest. And while Rhea works as a final boss for obvious reasons, they still should have captured her like they did in all the other routes and explore what was done to her during those five years and the finale should have been them confronting TWSD, who was obviously using Edelgard as a pawn to get their revenge on the gods.

But after several days of this, this is my final thoughts on the matter. Just wanted to write down my thoughts.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Holy shit some of the post time-skip designs are amazing. I honestly didn't expect them to be so different. Bernie especially looks like an entirely different person, and Lindhart's new style is amazing.

Also I love how the characters have even levelled up a bit once you get into Part 2. Meant I could get a Master class for two of my team!

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
This is my first FE game and I'm reeeaaally enjoying it, but I certainly am glad I chose normal/casual because I have had one person killed per battle so far. I'm about 8 hrs in so far so that's been about 4-5 battles I think? I feel like I'm getting the hang of it but there's definitely a lot of stuff to learn (I don't even play jrpgs in general so it's a lot to digest here).

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
A "no/minimal monastery" run could be extremely challenging, even before Lunatic. Low professor level, very limited class selection for Byleth because no teacher training, harshly limited funds and motivation, etc.

If you want to know:

Depends if you did his paralogue. Helps that they give you Gilbert early on.
Did you do his paralogue? If so, keep playing.
Good to know. I indeed did it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Mastered swordmaster on Catherine, found out I can't transfer Astra. Son of a bitch, might end up being a waste.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Also holy shit I am not exactly looking forward to going through all those support conversations at once now that the game's post time-skip. Literally every single character has at least 1 or 2.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I love Dorothea but I sorta feel bad for using her. She does not want to be involved in any of this shit.

Especially post time-skip, it kind of feels like she's just gotten the life kicked out of her and would rather be doing literally anything else than being stuck in a war. I think there's an interesting story with her character I'm not sure the game's going to tell, since she was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time and is now stuck doing the thing she likes least with the highest possible consequences. I know there are other sorta pacifists like Lindhart but Dorothea actively apologizes and laments the state of things as her battle And I think that's really why she sticks around. She has to fight to change the brutal conditions that led to her going to the

I love Dorothea and think she's better developed than most minor characters. I'm struggling to put into words all that makes her so amazing but really her supports have been stellar and do a good job of wrapping up her arc by the A conversation imo.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Ugh. Finally starting my second run and I'm torn between choosing BL or BE. I know I'll do all remaining three paths eventually, but choosing is hard.

And also. I'll make it my mission to recruit as many Golden Deer as I can. I can't bear to hurt any of them (or Bernie).

Also, a question to all people who have finished more than one route: Does NG+ stack? Can I keep anything from my NG+ into a NG++ and so forth?

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Was it Marianne's paralouges I remember so many people having trouble with? I just completed it, it was really fun and thank god Marianne just dodged shit left and right.

Is it lame of me to play on Normal just to max out everyone's supports with free battles?

Not if that's what you care about most, though I imagine you could max them out pretty quickly that way and once you're done the rest might be a slog since you'll be overleveled.

I love Dorothea and think she's better developed than most minor characters. I'm struggling to put into words all that makes her so amazing but really her supports have been stellar and do a good job of wrapping up her arc by the A conversation imo.

She seems to be the best romantic match with half a dozen characters, has simultaneously the most and least control over her destiny, is the most fish out of water, has deep connections with a ton of other important characters, and is a jack of all stats in combat too.

Like, I think they could do a full on spin-off movie with her as the protagonist/POV character and it'd be really good.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Is this the game with the most asshole dads? I'm sure it is

There's a great support with a certain father that goes from funny to terrible to funny to therapy really quickly.

I don't think a single character has a good dad, looking back on it.

Except seemingly Edelgard's? He was weak but not bad unless I missed something.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I love Dorothea but I sorta feel bad for using her. She does not want to be involved in any of this shit.

Especially post time-skip, it kind of feels like she's just gotten the life kicked out of her and would rather be doing literally anything else than being stuck in a war. I think there's an interesting story with her character I'm not sure the game's going to tell, since she was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time and is now stuck doing the thing she likes least with the highest possible consequences. I know there are other sorta pacifists like Lindhart but Dorothea actively apologizes and laments the state of things as her battle dialogue.

Yeah, I'm on GD chapter 17 and she pretty much broke my heart with her dialogue after the last chapter.

"There were so many soldiers there... and all of them died. Ferdie was there, Professor. And we killed him. Ferdie, who used to be our friend. Do you remember those days, Professor?"

With just the slightest hint of accusation but mostly just raw sorrow.

Definitely one of my favorite characters, and one of the few ones I feel the timeskip's handled well.

Also... I wasn't minding Byleth as a silent protag that much at first, but now that I'm deep in part 2 and almost every A-rank is "you're the most incredible person ever who changed my life, Professor" it's really starting to wear on me. Like, OK, sure, he's a tactical genius, but the guy who nods or occasionally asks therapy 101 questions is The Most Important Catalyst To Change In Your Life?

I'm also burning out on the supports in general I think. So many of them repeat the same broad strokes for a given character, and there's just so many of them! I appreciate the effort that went into them, and there are some great individual chains, but at this point I'm holding off on A-ranking a bunch of people just so I can space out the text dumps.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also burning out on the supports in general I think. So many of them repeat the same broad strokes for a given character, and there's just so many of them! I appreciate the effort that went into them, and there are some great individual chains, but at this point I'm holding off on A-ranking a bunch of people just so I can space out the text dumps.
This is where I'm at, and I'm only at like Chapter 13. It's simply exhausting by this point.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yeah, I'm on GD chapter 17 and she pretty much broke my heart with her dialogue after the last chapter.

"There were so many soldiers there... and all of them died. Ferdie was there, Professor. And we killed him. Ferdie, who used to be our friend. Do you remember those days, Professor?"

With just the slightest hint of accusation but mostly just raw sorrow.

Definitely one of my favorite characters, and one of the few ones I feel the timeskip's handled well.

Also... I wasn't minding Byleth as a silent protag that much at first, but now that I'm deep in part 2 and almost every A-rank is "you're the most incredible person ever who changed my life, Professor" it's really starting to wear on me. Like, OK, sure, he's a tactical genius, but the guy who nods or occasionally asks therapy 101 questions is The Most Important Catalyst To Change In Your Life?

I read that spoiler and have to imagine there must be three-ish different versions of that scene, which is even more impressive writing.

One version where he's killed, one where he survives (if he isn't the boss), and one where he was recruited by the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.