• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Claude's politics and ambitions, but the game is not very clear on how he is actually going to achieve these goals. He comes off as a bit of a reactionary, where he basically needs someone to start a war so he can come in, save the day, and restore order.

I was thinking the same thing this entire time. The whole second half of the route comes off as reactionary to be honest.

Just feels like he got lucky that Edelgard started a war so he could swoop in an unite Fodlan like that because there was no way it was happening otherwise. I feel like Claude is a guy with big ideas but never enough on how to actually carry these ideas out.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT2| Greetings, Era! Nothing to Report!

The OG
Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT2| If The Teacher Is 5 years Late, We Are Allowed To Kill Each Other

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking the same thing this entire time. The whole second half of the route comes off as reactionary to be honest.

Just feels like he got lucky that Edelgard started a war so he could swoop in an unite Fodlan like that because there was no way it was happening otherwise. I feel like Claude is a guy with big ideas but never enough on how to actually carry these ideas out.

It's funny because the game actually calls him out on this
when whatsherface is taken aback and asks him if his plan once they get in the fortress is literally "rely on Byleth", which it is. He was able to scheme his way into the fort by relying on Hilda, but had no actual plan for taking on the Death Knight.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how to deal with mages at the beginning of the game. There's no safe way to attack them, and they always seem to be able to take out 2/3 of my HP. Even if I take one out, the surrounding soldiers can finish me off.

Starting to regret classic mode.

Try to position a high res unit with 1-2 range (most likely your own mage) In a spot where only enemy mages can attack you from. That'll bait out the mages and likely weaken them enough for your physical tanks to come in and one shot them, leaving them in full health to take on the oncoming wave of physical attackers.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i appreciate your posts bc these are great

gjVtv98.png

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because the game actually calls him out on this
when whatsherface is taken aback and asks him if his plan once they get in the fortress is literally "rely on Byleth", which it is. He was able to scheme his way into the fort by relying on Hilda, but had no actual plan for taking on the Death Knight.

Master Tactician y'all

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got to the time skip in NG+, and anyone that says Blue Lions is the best house is actively wrong.

Emo Dimitri suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkksssssssssss.

And if Dedue is actually dead, then fuck this route.(I don't think he's actually dead)

It gets better, and the payoff is pretty good. Stick with it!

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Question about the Dedue Paralogue in BL.

Am I somehow supposed to not kill anyone but the Duscar commander?

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Defeat as many as possible and save the commander for last. The goal is to defeat at least most of them.
But, these are people the Kingdom basically committed genocide against. I thought the whole point of going was because Dimitri didn't want that much bloodshed...

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
But, these are people the Kingdom basically committed genocide against. I thought the whole point of going was because Dimitri didn't want that much bloodshed...
That's exactly it. When you "Kill" them you are simply scaring them off before the Kingdom's primary troops come in to really slaughter them. It's explained leading up to the mission. In short, within the context of said Paralogue you are not killing the Duscur. You are quelling their rebellion with non-lethal force before they are killed by the Kingdom for it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

You're not killing them when you defeat them, but sparing them and making them retreat. If the neutral kingdom army kills them, however, they die. So your objective is to prevent as much of that as you can by defeating them first.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
You're not killing them when you defeat them, but sparing them and making them retreat. If the neutral kingdom army kills them, however, they die. So your objective is to prevent as much of that as you can by defeating them first.
Ah okay, that makes more sense. Just saw that they explained after starting the fight.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Me towards the end of GD: "Man I'm feeling kinda burnt out. Maybe I should take a break before BL..."

Me at the end of GD: "FUCK YEAH LET'S GO BLUE LIONS HYPE"

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Haven't had time recently to really dig into the game, but currently up to Chapter 8 or 9 and I must say, there are so many characters that I thought I would hate, but I've ended up loving all of them.

Currently doing the Blue Lions, and there's no real weak link yet in terms of personality. Right now, my least favourite is Felix, but that's probably because I haven't unlocked the conversation that digs deeper into why he's such a dick towards Dimitri.

Sylvain and Ingrid have been highlights, Sylvain especially since I thought he was going to be the stereotypical "lover boy" trope. Annette is so damn adorable and everyone has had a depth to them sorely missing in the 3DS iterations.

Love, love, love. Can't wait for the next opportunity to dig in!

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Blue Lions, Felix is a good boy. And I don't mean only in combat. He's a good soul that cares a lot.

Alas, it's not apparent at first.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the BE E game in 44hrs. Didn't really feel like I rushed all that much. I really don't know how people are getting their playthroughs to be 60-80hrs.
Still pretty confused on the ending though. Who was the mother? Crests are literally embedded into people? Was Byleth some sorta experiment? Gotta say I loved the little ending stories based on who lived and loved.
I did Crimson Flower in 60 hours, and it didn't feel like I was going particularly slowly. I never replayed maps or anything. just wandered around the monastery during every explore period, did some sightseeing, watched basically every combat animation. the game has a nice atmosphere

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
grrr gotta grind out a month tonight and get through GD final

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So

I ended up going with the church route. Everyone got on my case because they said Edelgard was in the right by wanting to rid the world of inequality caused by houses and crests, and that Rhea was an evil overlord. But at the end of my route, both Edelgard and Rhea were dead, the cult was destroyed, Petra instated a new leader to Brigid, I took over everything and established an era of lasting peace, Seteth overhauled the church curriculum to teach tolerance and equality, and Hanneman got rid of Crest inequality, and I didn't even have to partner with a cult and stage a coup that claimed thousands of lives, Edelgard.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
So

I ended up going with the church route. Everyone got on my case because they said Edelgard was in the right by wanting to rid the world of inequality caused by houses and crests, and that Rhea was an evil overlord. But at the end of my route, both Edelgard and Rhea were dead, the cult was destroyed, Petra instated a new leader to Brigid, I took over everything and established an era of lasting peace, Seteth overhauled the church curriculum to teach tolerance and equality, and Hanneman got rid of Crest inequality, and I didn't even have to partner with a cult and stage a coup that claimed thousands of lives, Edelgard.

one of us

one of us

one of us

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My first playthrough was Black Eagles C route, so for my second I am going Black Eagles E route. I'm abe to skip most of the pre-timeskip conversations, as I have seen that before, and it's making things go much faster. One thing I really love here is actually building my characters into something they will transition to near endgame. I invested in Faith on Dorothea quite early because I want to make her a Gremory. I'm on chapter 6 and it definitely feels like my team is stronger at this point than they were at this point in the first playthrough.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Despite being completely cornered with my hp at 0, I still have plot relevance so I must retreat for now!" sure does get annoying after a while.

Claude: We shouldn't be fighting, Professor.
Then stop freakin' attacking me and let's unite against our common enemy who caused all this bullshit! :(

First Jeralt, now Rodrigue. Little girls just effortlessly slaughtering dads left and right in this game. This one felt pretty dumb though since Rodrigue apparently couldn't just disarm her, despite seeing the attack coming... I mean, the girl gave a whole crazed speech before she finally attacked but sure, there just wasn't enough time I guess lol. And it was rather disappointing that it played out as a slideshow rather than a cutscene.

Glad that Dimitri's finally reached a turning point though. He needed to wake up and it annoyed me that Felix was the only one even trying. This is especially where the whole silent protagonist thing gets frustrating since Byleth should've slapped him several chapters ago.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Slowly progressing; just wrapped up chapter 9. Fucked up and didn't pick a person I cared about, cause I didn't pick when I first got the option for whatever foolish reason (probably being super tired) and forgot to do it when I next loaded the game before fishing for a billion years. Also forgot to ask someone to help for the month, but I don't want to recruit more so that's fine.

I got Dorothea by default, which was fine, but after reloading to see Edelgard (before continuing with the Dorothea save- would be too weird to have to redo battles later) I wish I'd just picked it because it felt a lot more meaningful. Especially as I'll see Dorothea's on a later playthrough anyway. Hopefully this is just support points and not something that'll be called back to or matter...?

Meanwhile, I probably only got Dorothea's scene because I kept having tea with her to raise her charm, which I thought you needed to have high to get Dancer. So... she's got fricking 28 charm now, and you sure don't need anywhere near that. Why even make it a stat requirement if talking to the unit beforehand is all you need to pass the check...? Anyone I have could hit the requirement with the +5; I guess that's due to slight rng, but really...?

anyway, did the mission and
was that really it... over in 5 turns, I wasn't even THAT overleveled this time but they could barely hurt me (even the AI students were dodging their attacks, lol); I fully expected a second wave and noooope? it's weird going form there actually being a decent challenge in the Paralogues now (even if some of it is me badly picking units) to like... just casually stomping through this, some units didn't even get to do anything worthwhile

I liked Jeralt a lot but I feel nothing over this. Maybe they shouldn't have piled up a ton of death flags; it was pretty obvious when they had him repeatedly say I SHOULD TELL YOU ABOUT YOUR MOM BUT, NO, WAIT, THERE ISN'T TIME this chapter. Really frustrating to have something like this, that just has me rolling my eyes and... well, going off to type this instead of seeing the next scene, at what should be a big moment, when I've liked the writing a fair bit so far.

similarly... kid, use that fucking pulse more than once, c'mon, you start out with more than 1, put some effort into this instead of giving up immediately, I got you 7 more uses than that, 5 if you count the ones I used in battle; are you even trying?

actually, well, maybe rewind to BEFORE SHE'S STANDING BEHIND HIM...

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
"Despite being completely cornered with my hp at 0, I still have plot relevance so I must retreat for now!" sure does get annoying after a while.
One of my biggest beefs with a series so obsessed with "permadeath" is how the writers decide who actually lives and dies "in the story" no matter who falls on the battlefield or not.

It's just nonsensical.

It's actually the main reason I play Casual. At least my "side" is consistent in that regard (not that I allow anyone to fall, but still).

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
What are those glowing spaces do and are they exclusive to the GD? I just beat the BL route and this is my first time seeing these.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any penalty for getting a character K.O? Or do they just leave the battlefield?
On casual? Well they miss out on EXp from the rest of the fights they might have gotten into. Other than that? Nothing.

Unless you're referring to the green units (allies), in which case you generally get better rewards if you keep them all alive.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Finished Silver Snow! The final map scared me at first, but it was fairly simple. The final boss was about 1000x tougher than any other enemy on the map. Came down to the wire with units missing key gambit and only a few charges of Divine Pulse remaining.

Next up is Golden Deer. This class already seems to have a more likeable group of students than the Black Eagles, though I don't know if my BE crew can be topped in terms of combat potential - not a single dud in the group, not even Flayn. I guess Shamir got some lousy levels, so I kept her as an adjutant.

Who should I recruit into GD? I like to keep my roster fairly small so that I don't have too many sitting on the bench. For BE-C I only recruited Lysithea, since she supported with Edelgard and got me a paralogue.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Next up is Golden Deer. This class already seems to have a more likeable group of students than the Black Eagles, though I don't know if my BE crew can be topped in terms of combat potential -
All of the real monsters are in Golden Deer, unless you get RNG screwed at level up. Even then, they still have great abilities to compensate.

Who should I recruit into GD? I like to keep my roster fairly small so that I don't have too many sitting on the bench. For BE-C I only recruited Lysithea, since she supported with Edelgard and got me a paralogue.
Dorothea and don't recruit Ferdinand. There's a line in the game that's just really damn good that comes from that combination.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017

My thinking has been to recruit everyone that the lord has supports with. So for Claude that's Petra, Annette and Ingrid. I also noticed Sylvain has supports with like 5 out of 8 Golden Deers and he was a free recruit since I'm doing my GD run as F!Byleth.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Slowly working my way through the Golden Deer path. Just started Chapter 6. I've recruited Bernie, Dorothea, and Sylvain, and I'm at a toss-up of whether I want to push Ignatz toward being my assassin or recruit Petra for the job.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Was the time skip shown during trailers or something? I barely watched any of this game before release.

It kinda sucks how openly it's talked about because it would have been an awesome "oh shit!" moment if you didn't know about it, especially for BL and Dimitri.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Playing online, its where other players have died. Gives rusted weapons/experience.
Online feature.

Purple Tiles is where large numbers of enemies were defeated, and give low tier weapons (often rusted weapons, but towards the end of the game can be up to iron or even steel, or upgraded low tier like training+ etc).

Gold Tiles is where large numbers of player units were defeated, and gives XP plus randomly either recharges gambits/heal battalions/restore weapon durability (each by a marginal amount, like +3 weapon durability).

Edit:
Was the time skip shown during trailers or something?
Blame Nintendo or God.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Was the time skip shown during trailers or something? I barely watched any of this game before release.

It kinda sucks how openly it's talked about because it would have been an awesome "oh shit!" moment if you didn't know about it, especially for BL and Dimitri.
Yeah, it was shown in the E3 trailer. Would've been an awesome surprise but to be honest had they not shown it, I don't think the game would've gotten the same turnaround in prerelease reception as it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.