• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I've a question before I start getting into combat on my 2nd playthrough. My first playthrough I had everyone rocking Steel+ (forged Steel) swords but when talking to a friend they were chiding that decision because of the weight penalty? Should I not use Steel+ for everyone? I noted there's also a number of named weapons in the game but I shied away from them due to repair materials being different from Smithing Stones.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was the time skip shown during trailers or something? I barely watched any of this game before release.

It kinda sucks how openly it's talked about because it would have been an awesome "oh shit!" moment if you didn't know about it, especially for BL and Dimitri.

It would've been nice, but honestly discussion before that was pretty bad with lots of complaints about "Persona" and FE going full "waifu emblem" with the school setting.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I've a question before I start getting into combat on my 2nd playthrough. My first playthrough I had everyone rocking Steel+ (forged Steel) swords but when talking to a friend they were chiding that decision because of the weight penalty? Should I not use Steel+ for everyone? I noted there's also a number of named weapons in the game but I shied away from them due to repair materials being different from Smithing Stones.
Silver is much better than Steel (lower weight and higher might), but you need B-rank AND they have significantly lower durability. Like half durability (plus they're expensive, but that should be a non-issue for most of the game).

At some point bar some exceptions (like long range archers which eat 5 durability per shot) Steel weapons should be ditched yeah.

Named weapons are usually "character specific" weapons (anyone can use them but they don't get the weapon bonus only the intended character gets).

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
beat the first timeskip map in blue lions, 41 hours in. the timeskip is actually really well executed. I thought it would be more abrupt, but there's so much exposition in-between.
Dimitris descent into madness is so amazing and he is hands down my favourite Lord now. it's going to be hard to not hate edelgard in subsequent playthroughs.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Silver is much better than Steel (lower weight and higher might), but you need B-rank AND they have significantly lower durability. Like half durability (plus they're expensive, but that should be a non-issue for most of the game).

At some point bar some exceptions (like long range archers which eat 5 durability per shot) Steel weapons should be ditched yeah.

Named weapons are usually "character specific" weapons (anyone can use them but they don't get the weapon bonus only the intended character gets).

Haha well I'm going into Hard/Classic for my 2nd playthrough so assume I'll have to be tight on money in terms of repairs. Just wondering for the various non-Iron/Steel/Silver weapons, how is the acquisition of repair mats? Can you still buy them from the vendors or you have to go hunting out in battles?

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Was the time skip shown during trailers or something? I barely watched any of this game before release.

It kinda sucks how openly it's talked about because it would have been an awesome "oh shit!" moment if you didn't know about it, especially for BL and Dimitri.

Yeah, it would've been cool not knowing about it. I suppose if pre-release reception was more overwhelmingly positive from the get-go (it didn't really become that way until after E3) Nintendo may not have felt the need to show it off so openly.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan

Yeah it was. The E3 2019 trailer literally opened up with "Let's all meet up today 5 years from now" with a conversation of various house leaders. Then it jumps into explicit scenes depicting scenes after that timeskip.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Haha well I'm going into Hard/Classic for my 2nd playthrough so assume I'll have to be tight on money in terms of repairs. Just wondering for the various non-Iron/Steel/Silver weapons, how is the acquisition of repair mats? Can you still buy them from the vendors or you have to go hunting out in battles?
It's something I discovered reading this very board.

You see those "monsters"? Their barriers? When you break all four, you get rare smithing materials which cannot be bought, even with the "end-game" shops.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
It's something I discovered reading this very board.

You see those "monsters"? Their barriers? When you break all four, you get rare smithing materials which cannot be bought, even with the "end-game" shops.
wow whaaaat. did not know this
does this apply to all monsters?

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
beat the first timeskip map in blue lions, 41 hours in. the timeskip is actually really well executed. I thought it would be more abrupt, but there's so much exposition in-between.
Dimitris descent into madness is so amazing and he is hands down my favourite Lord now. it's going to be hard to not hate edelgard in subsequent playthroughs.

Blue Lions best house

Dimitri best lord

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
t's something I discovered reading this very board.

Yeah I remember a couple times I acheived that during my first playthrough but didn't know exactly how and didn't know the items received were used for various repairs, that's neat!

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't finished the game, but this part has been the absolute best so far. Seeing the timeskip happen, discovering Dimitri in the Monastery 5 years later and then the reunion during the battle with the thieves is outstandingly executed. I guess I understand to some extent not liking Dimitri post-skip, but I think the contrast between his attitude and the rest of the team is important and it'd be bland otherwise.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One chapter to go. What a ride it has been, I don't want it to end! :(

Oh wait, it doesn't have to end, really. There are 2.5 other routes to play.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I'm currently chapter 14 of my first run of the game as BL.

Would people recommend going GD next or BE? Went as male Blythe on my first run, but I'm planning on going Female Blythe on my GD run. I just really don't know which house to do next lol.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I'm currently chapter 14 of my first run of the game as BL.

Would people recommend going GD next or BE? Went as male Blythe on my first run, but I'm planning on going Female Blythe on my GD run. I just really don't know which house to do next lol.
BE (at least what we call the E branch) is complementary to BL, GD largely covers different ground. Either should work, it depends more on what you want next.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
So with NG+ what should I spend my points on the start of the game? I'm thinking of Professor level but theres so much stuff you can spend points on.

Also, what are crest items? Apparently I can buy those too in NG+

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Dumb question but I don't know where else to ask:

I'm looking for that meme picture with Edelgard and Dimitri as two girls fighting, with Claude lighting a bong while watching.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? There are too many memes, I can't find it anymore.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm really surprised at how much the post-time skip acknowledges who you've recruited from before the time skip.

Hanneman says that he joined the Imperial Empire (and why) and that he's glad to see the three professors together once more

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
So with NG+ what should I spend my points on the start of the game? I'm thinking of Professor level but theres so much stuff you can spend points on.

Also, what are crest items? Apparently I can buy those too in NG+
Just spend it all on Professor level.
May be stop before the final one since it will level up quickly with the activity?

Activity available per day is everything

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I think the RNG hates me. Don't remember playing a FE game and have enemies with almost absolute guarantee hit my units with sub 40 accuracy. Petra, you're supposed to be a dodge tank with your fancy Pegasus, why do you always get hit, ffs!

And week 3 with FE Three Houses, Bernie has yet to get a Str +1 at level up ever after i promoted her out of the default Noble and Fighter classes. I know archers don't have any Str growth and Snipers don't have a good one, but a Sniper with currently 16 Str is simply near unusable. At least not with Shamir standing next to her with that 23 Str, same Dex and Spd, and more Luck. And Bernie does have a semi-usable Str growth rate, if SerenesForest is correct.

Might just start abusing the Divine Pulse for a second shot at level ups, if these aren't pre-defined at the beginning of the battle, just like promotion chance is at the beginning of a week.

Pairing Byleth with
Sothis feels weird, lol.

It's literally mindfuck!

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Might just start abusing the Divine Pulse for a second shot at level ups, if these aren't pre-defined at the beginning of the battle, just like promotion chance is at the beginning of a week.

I'm pretty liberal with Divine Pulses, and I've noticed units getting the same stats on level up while doing so.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty liberal with Divine Pulses, and I've noticed units getting the same stats on level up while doing so.

giphy.gif

That's that then ... thanks for crushing my hopes the information. ;D

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I think the RNG hates me. Don't remember playing a FE game and have enemies with almost absolute guarantee hit my units with sub 40 accuracy. Petra, you're supposed to be a dodge tank with your fancy Pegasus, why do you always get hit, ffs!
I was hesitant to make jokes about it, like my game being glitchy because sometimes enemies would miss at 20% hit chance.

In my final battle, most of the enemies had sub 50% rates, and many of them even 30% rates (dodge tanking man), and only a few of them missed (except the final boss which missed a ton).

It wasn't exactly an issue but after 10 successive hits at 30% you wonder "why bother with those numbers in the first place" 🤷‍♀️

I know about RNG and all that but I'd be very surprised if the RNG isn't skewed for the final battle.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

That's that then ... thanks for crushing my hopes the information. ;D
Pretty sure it's just for the turn (similar to hits and crits being predetermined at the start of each turn). You could theoretically divine pulse a bad level up, then have the unit sit out the turn to try again next time.

EDIT: Guess I'm wrong.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Previous games, outside of Echoes, didn't have a turn repeating feature though ... so i could believe that they changed this.
It works by memorizing RNG seeds. I don't see what rewinding changes about that (apart potential glitches).

I mean both technically and thematically (memorizing RNG seeds is 100% on purpose to prevent or at the very least limit save scumming).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It works by memorizing RNG seeds. I don't see what rewinding changes about that (apart potential glitches).

I mean both technically and thematically (memorizing RNG seeds is 100% on purpose to prevent or at the very least limit save scumming).

Remembering:

That was the first time i had to use Divine Pulse, because at one point, the DK was critting on Byleth, killing him.

Though, even after two Divine Pulses, he still crit everytime. I didn't move Byleth or did anything else, just undid DK's last move that would result in the crit all the time.

After the last Divine Pulse, i moved Byleth to another evasion tile, and that was the only time that the DK didn't crit.

So something has to be memorized. Could dataminers get more indepth info on this?

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
So, I'd really love to know more about Fleche and Randolph

Edit: I'm still early after the timeskip, but do they get more screentime? Blue Lions btw

They do, and they suck major ass.

Just got to the time skip in NG+, and anyone that says Blue Lions is the best house is actively wrong.

Emo Dimitri suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkksssssssssss.

And if Dedue is actually dead, then fuck this route.(I don't think he's actually dead)

Stick with the house, the whole turnaround IS why people say Blue Lions is the best house. It's not the best paced, but it makes for great exploration of Dimitri's character.
I mean, I also get where you're coming from though, lol, I hope the story grows on you as much as it did on me though.

Haven't had time recently to really dig into the game, but currently up to Chapter 8 or 9 and I must say, there are so many characters that I thought I would hate, but I've ended up loving all of them.

Currently doing the Blue Lions, and there's no real weak link yet in terms of personality. Right now, my least favourite is Felix, but that's probably because I haven't unlocked the conversation that digs deeper into why he's such a dick towards Dimitri.

Sylvain and Ingrid have been highlights, Sylvain especially since I thought he was going to be the stereotypical "lover boy" trope. Annette is so damn adorable and everyone has had a depth to them sorely missing in the 3DS iterations.

Love, love, love. Can't wait for the next opportunity to dig in!

Pair Felix and Annette.
Just. Do. It.

--

Here's something I don't understand:
Apparently people hate Sylvain's "Ladies Man" shtick.
Have you seen Ignatz x Claude B support though?
Or, for that matter, Ingrid x Claude C+?
That one made me ACTUALLY ANGRY. WTF.

Claude: "Hey, Ignatz, what are you doing?"
Ignatz: "I'm praying to maybe be able to see the goddess."
Claude: "Nice, if she shows up, you'll need to call me."
Ignatz: "Uh, I'm not..."
Claude: "Because she's probably hot, and you would just scare the pretty lady away. You need someone smooth to engage her."

Claude: "Remember when I told you to smile more? I think I was a bit out of place."
Ingrid: "I'm also sorry I come across as preachy."
Claude: "Yes. Because I'm right, and you absolutely SHOULD smile more."
Ingrid: "What the..."
Claude: "Stop being a bitch, Ingrid, everyone agrees."

Not digging Claude as a character at the moment.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
oh, like you'd be able to resist teasing iggy about wanting to bone the goddess

twitter does something to the looping that makes the timing a bit shit, but whatever

/edit actually it's the embed somehow? It looks fine on-site

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
oh, like you'd be able to resist teasing iggy about wanting to bone the goddess
I mean, I want to say that's not what he means, but I've seen most of his A supports, and yeah, he is a bit creepy about projecting people onto the goddess.

twitter does something to the looping that makes the timing a bit shit, but whatever

/edit actually it's the embed somehow? It looks fine on-site

True art.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, that was my first playthrough done. 69 hours into Golden Deer, and loving every bit of it. The game is the best FE I've ever played in every aspect except map and mission variety. I'm tempted to call it my favourite FE ever, but I will wait until I'm done playing the other two houses to judge (what made FE so grand for me is that I would always want to replay the games. I want to see if FETH gives me the same desire - although currently I'm very curious about the story of the other two houses).

Nor am I decided on whether or not this is my favourite Switch game. It easily dethrones XBC2 as my second favourite Switch game, but I will ruminate a bit on the question of whether I like it more than BOTW.

All in all, though, it's an amazing game with godlike customisation and a great story! Absolutely worth the wait since January 2017 for me.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
twitter's terrible for gifs. it turns them into its own format of video when it uploads. nice movement, though!

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lol welcome back Mercedes.

Recruited her way back in my BE A playthrough, and now I'm on Blue Lions and in her very first attack she crits. Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.