• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Still super early, quick Q: Is cooking the most effective way to raise motivation if like two-thirds of my house are all bored-face before a teaching day? I guess gifts would work on those I can't cook for? What's the most effective way to raise the bond between house members? The Group Activity thing?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still super early, quick Q: Is cooking the most effective way to raise motivation if like two-thirds of my house are all bored-face before a teaching day? I guess gifts would work on those I can't cook for? What's the most effective way to raise the bond between house members? The Group Activity thing?
Meals are the best for both motivation and support. By the end game you'll probably be having 5+ meals per exploration day.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Here's something I don't understand:
Apparently people hate Sylvain's "Ladies Man" shtick.
Have you seen Ignatz x Claude B support though?
Or, for that matter, Ingrid x Claude C+?
That one made me ACTUALLY ANGRY. WTF.

Claude: "Hey, Ignatz, what are you doing?"
Ignatz: "I'm praying to maybe be able to see the goddess."
Claude: "Nice, if she shows up, you'll need to call me."
Ignatz: "Uh, I'm not..."
Claude: "Because she's probably hot, and you would just scare the pretty lady away. You need someone smooth to engage her."

Claude: "Remember when I told you to smile more? I think I was a bit out of place."
Ingrid: "I'm also sorry I come across as preachy."
Claude: "Yes. Because I'm right, and you absolutely SHOULD smile more."
Ingrid: "What the..."
Claude: "Stop being a bitch, Ingrid, everyone agrees."

Not digging Claude as a character at the moment.
Claude's only a genuine asshole to Ingrid cuz he knows she's racist.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Claude's only a genuine asshole to Ingrid cuz he knows she's racist.

Hilda though... ??

The only time they pick up on Ingrid's misguided hate against Duscurians (?) is in her support line with Dedue, and it's super side lined and immediately dismantled there. Her underlying issues are actually her ideals of knighthood and loyalty, making her hate the people that she is told are responsible for the regicide and the death of her
fiancé Glenn, who, as we learn, she barely knew and who she set on a pedestal from a afar.
Those problems only really get addressed in her supports with Dimitri and Felix, and she deals with her shortcomings pretty well in those discussions.
Her support with Dedue is mostly an awkward: "I hate you, I think, sorry about that, I know you're cool deep down. Let's pretend I don't hate you."

I read someone somewhere stating they wouldn't play BL because of the fictional racism, but then again, cresticism is already taking the place of that metaphor and you have a few peeps that act like asses towards others for reasons of bloodline in all of the houses. And most (if not all?) of them get told off for it and take their L.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Remembering:

That was the first time i had to use Divine Pulse, because at one point, the DK was critting on Byleth, killing him.

Though, even after two Divine Pulses, he still crit everytime. I didn't move Byleth or did anything else, just undid DK's last move that would result in the crit all the time.

After the last Divine Pulse, i moved Byleth to another evasion tile, and that was the only time that the DK didn't crit.

So something has to be memorized. Could dataminers get more indepth info on this?
They don't memorize all moves (it's literally impossible). Only specific stuff like character level ups (or certifications in 3H).

They memorize the RNG seed (which evolves with each RNG "pull", each time a random number is needed, it's "taken" and then a new one is computed based on the previous number, to put it simply). So as long as you redo the exact same chain of events, the results will be exactly the same (bar potential bugs). But if you change one thing, then everything will be different (or to be more precise, will have a large probability of being different).

Hope it clarifies. "Randomness" is a tricky thing in computers and tactical RPGs have a history of using this limitation to prevent (or at least limit) save scumming.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Just finished the GD route last night at 53 hours. I have some gripes with the late game, but they aren't enough to overshadow the enjoyment I've had overall. Hard to believe that another three routes await me.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Hilda though... ??

The only time they pick up on Ingrid's misguided hate against Duscurians (?) is in her support line with Dedue, and it's super side lined and immediately dismantled there. Her underlying issues are actually her ideals of knighthood and loyalty, making her hate the people that she is told are responsible for the regicide and the death of her
fiancé Glenn, who, as we learn, she barely knew and who she set on a pedestal from a afar.
Those problems only really get addressed in her supports with Dimitri and Felix, and she deals with her shortcomings pretty well in those discussions.
Her support with Dedue is mostly an awkward: "I hate you, I think, sorry about that, I know you're cool deep down. Let's pretend I don't hate you."

I read someone somewhere stating they wouldn't play BL because of the fictional racism, but then again, cresticism is already taking the place of that metaphor and you have a few peeps that act like asses towards others for reasons of bloodline in all of the houses. And most (if not all?) of them get told off for it and take their L.
I think the difference between Hilda and Ingrid is that the only case of it from Hilda is one misguided line towards Cyril because of her house's history of fighting Almyrans and she ends up keeping an open mind at the end of their support. Ingrid's outright malicious though and I don't think she'll ever escape her support with Dedue (which ends with her thinking he's "one of the good ones" rather than setting aside her hate for the whole race, which is where Hilda basically started) or the fact she literally has "people of Duscur" in her lists of dislikes in her profile, unfortunately.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I've played through 2 routes working on my third, and on neither the BL or GD routes is it explained what's wrong with Byleth leading up to remire village. Perhaps BE will be different, yet I'm not holding my breath. It reeks of dummied out.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
They don't memorize all moves (it's literally impossible). Only specific stuff like character level ups (or certifications in 3H).

They memorize the RNG seed (which evolves with each RNG "pull", each time a random number is needed, it's "taken" and then a new one is computed based on the previous number, to put it simply). So as long as you redo the exact same chain of events, the results will be exactly the same (bar potential bugs). But if you change one thing, then everything will be different (or to be more precise, will have a large probability of being different).

Hope it clarifies. "Randomness" is a tricky thing in computers and tactical RPGs have a history of using this limitation to prevent (or at least limit) save scumming.

Oh you don't have to tell me about RNG in programming ... i had my fair share of fun. Both sarcastically because i had to deal with it and literally by having some trainees deal with it. ^^

Just wasn't aware how it's working in TRPGs. Given your description, then it might really be possible to alter the stat ups at level up by using Divine Pulse and skipping a turn for a different shot at the level up.

Gotta pray that the RNG gods are more benevolent the next time though. ^^

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Frendinand's B support the Church route was interesting. He even follows up on what he more or less said to Hubert about not wanting to be Edelgard's puppet and had everything stripped from him. Wondered what his support says on the other route.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
For those who finished the game choosing blue lions, how man chapters are there. I'm afraid I'll get story spoilers if I look it up.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Green units cant kill enemy generals that would finish the map. They are left at 1 hp. This happens in other stages too with Jeralt and Catherine

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
How is Hero as a class? I'm debating training Raph in swords and taking him there for variety since I made him a War Master on my last run, but taking him into the master class that's basically designed for him seems like such an obvious choice it feels weird to bring him somewhere else.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
That end game 'city' map
what with the russian letter(?) that writing on the wall of the map?!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Green units cant kill enemy generals that would finish the map. They are left at 1 hp. This happens in other stages too with Jeralt and Catherine

That's only true if they are the ones attacking. If the general attacks them in the next turn, the green unit's counterattack will kill them. That screwed me over from killing the Death Knight in one chapter

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
How is Hero as a class? I'm debating training Raph in swords and taking him there for variety since I made him a War Master on my last run, but taking him into the master class that's basically designed for him seems like such an obvious choice it feels weird to bring him somewhere else.
Personally I had good luck with Raphael as a Fortress Knight, but Defiant Strength could be fun with his massive HP pool.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Personally I had good luck with Raphael as a Fortress Knight, but Defiant Strength could be fun with his massive HP pool.
I'm slightly self-sabotaging this round by trying not to build any purely tanky units, because by halfway through the last run half my team was invincible and it got kinda boring. Trying to shake it up so I don't burn out. Raphael as a fortress sounds solid, though. A two-fer of Raphael and Hilda as fortress knights would be an impenetrable wall.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I've played through 2 routes working on my third, and on neither the BL or GD routes is it explained what's wrong with Byleth leading up to remire village. Perhaps BE will be different, yet I'm not holding my breath. It reeks of dummied out.
Might have missed something, but yeah, dummied out (BE).

Edit: It's probably supposed to tie-up with following events, but I don't see how.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
For those who finished the game choosing blue lions, how man chapters are there. I'm afraid I'll get story spoilers if I look it up.

It's 21 or 22, the last two are connected in a way, game counts them both as chapter 21. If you want to see different S support scenes, you have to make a save at the start of the chapter 21 fight when they make you choose.

I think Fates had some back-to-back maps like that too, but at least here you can save inbetween, so it's not that stressful.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a month or two into part two for Golden Deer. I can't help but notice that several supports for specific characters really don't make much sense when you view them in Part Two. I'm too afraid to ruin the game for myself to discuss this in the open spoiler thread so hopefully I can spark some replies in the OT:

Marianne is the biggest example I can think of. Lysithea too, to a lesser degree. But this is going to be focusing on Marianne.

She's depressed as shit with zero confidence in part one. Literally her number one dislike in the game is "herself". She doesn't believe in herself at all and firmly believes that she can't be of any use whatsoever for anything In part two, she's shown making tremendous strides in her self-confidence. She's getting over the depression, is believing in herself, and actually voices her own thoughts/opinions without being egged on by half of the team.

So when I get my Lysithea and Marianne B level support in part two, and I hear Marianne--the defacto animal expert of Golden Deer--act depressed as shit and tell Lysithea that OHHH NO I'M NOT SHIT. EVEN THOUGH I SPEND ALL MY FREE TIME WITH DORTE THE STABLE HORSE, MY OPINIONS AND KNOWLEDGE ON ANIMALS ARE WORTHLESS AND IF YOU LISTEN TO ME YOU'D PROBABLY FUCKING DIE FROM A PONY BECAUSE MY OPINIONS ARE SO TERRIBLE.

There's some other minor nitpicks to support what I'm saying, but that's the biggest offender right there. I don't want to go so far as to say as it's ruining my experience, but it does hurt the immersion a good deal.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Non sequitur about classification:
I've heard some folks say that FE: Three Houses is the first home console release of a Fire Emblem game since Radiant Dawn in 2007. I disagree. Given that the game takes so much inspiration in gameplay, music, and even sound effects from Awakening and Fates, I think it's more of a sequential handheld release. I wouldn't consider it a home console release. Especially given the novelty/popularity of the Switch's portability and the number of more recent releases in the series that have come out on handheld systems. What do you think?
I think that label prevails because Nintendo has tended, in marketing and in interviews, to refer to the Switch as a home console first. Presumably they felt that was necessary to justify the price tag at launch. They're starting to get away from that with the Switch Mini, but by and large most people will see Three Houses as a console release simply by virtue of the Switch being a "console" first.

Although it's certainly true that Three Houses evolves naturally from Awakening and Fates, I'd argue it also takes influences from throughout the series. For example, the Officer's Academy and timeskip is a clear callback to Genealogy of the Holy War. The Death Knight is an obvious tribute to The Black Knight from Path of Radiance. Those were both console games.

Perhaps most importantly of all, in the big Famitsu interview celebrating the game launch, it was emphasized that the devs themselves see this as a home console entry:

Three Houses will be the series' first entry on a home console in over 12 years since Radiant Dawn on the Wii. Could you tell us the history of this new title's development?

Yokota: We started working out ideas for Three Houses right around the time Fates released. We were initially thinking about releasing another title on the Nintendo 3DS, but once we had decided on making Echoes, we ended up putting development on hold for the time being.

There's also something to be said for the fact that Three Houses definitely feels "bigger" than any Fire Emblem that has come before, which is what we would expect from the first "home console" entry in 12 years.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a month or two into part two for Golden Deer. I can't help but notice that several supports for specific characters really don't make much sense when you view them in Part Two. I'm too afraid to ruin the game for myself to discuss this in the open spoiler thread so hopefully I can spark some replies in the OT:

Marianne is the biggest example I can think of. Lysithea too, to a lesser degree. But this is going to be focusing on Marianne.

She's depressed as shit with zero confidence in part one. Literally her number one dislike in the game is "herself". She doesn't believe in herself at all and firmly believes that she can't be of any use whatsoever for anything In part two, she's shown making tremendous strides in her self-confidence. She's getting over the depression, is believing in herself, and actually voices her own thoughts/opinions without being egged on by half of the team.

So when I get my Lysithea and Marianne B level support in part two, and I hear Marianne--the defacto animal expert of Golden Deer--act depressed as shit and tell Lysithea that OHHH NO I'M NOT SHIT. EVEN THOUGH I SPEND ALL MY FREE TIME WITH DORTE THE STABLE HORSE, MY OPINIONS AND KNOWLEDGE ON ANIMALS ARE WORTHLESS AND IF YOU LISTEN TO ME YOU'D PROBABLY FUCKING DIE FROM A PONY BECAUSE MY OPINIONS ARE SO TERRIBLE.

There's some other minor nitpicks to support what I'm saying, but that's the biggest offender right there. I don't want to go so far as to say as it's ruining my experience, but it does hurt the immersion a good deal.

Yeah the game makes the mistake of showing pre timeskip supports in post timeskip designs. It would be better if they just showed the support af if it had happened pre timeskip and they were remembering or something. Its even more noticeable with characters that change in voice, personality and or ways of speaking because they revert back just for the support.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It pretty obvious by now but Petra crits are just so much.
42097.jpg

But seriously, Petra crits like crazy.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a difference between when someone wants to change goals to the same thing they already had but to excel as a certain class? For example, Ferdinand was focused on Lance and Riding, and then he wanted to "change" focus to "Lance and Riding to excel as a cavalry class"

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
is 20 options for ot2 subtitle poll too much? lol
Is there a difference between when someone wants to change goals to the same thing they already had but to excel as a certain class? For example, Ferdinand was focused on Lance and Riding, and then he wanted to "change" focus to "Lance and Riding to excel as a cavalry class"
don't think so. I think it's just a specific goal name available to pick
oh lol never realize there's bonus for that week

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

As far as I can tell, it just adds that set of goals into the goals menu as a specific preset "Lances and Riding to become a Cavalier"

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

They get a little boost if you let them do their preferred focus for the week they ask it in.
Everyone has a handful of personal goal presets, they ask for it when specific skill thresholds are met, even if you already set that goal for them anyway.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

They get a boost for the week so its worth it if it alings with your goals somehow

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Recruited all the students and most of the professors. I only have Alois, Gilbert, and Seteth left but I'm pretty sure they join later.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda curious about this. I've never played a FE, so my knowledge is strategy RPG with some form of permadeath, and some slice of life type of content.

Is the combat a big part of the game, or is the school stuff the biggest focus? The latter doesn't really interest me all that much, and Persona was the only series that managed to keep me interested with that type of thing. I'm very traditional with RPGs, so light story with a strong focus on the combat/grinding is my perfect formula.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Caspar has like a permanent 50% crit rate for me at this point. He's nearly level 50, too. I can basically go make breakfast and that kid will tear through the world while I'm gone. I've been letting him solo monsters simply because he can.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda curious about this. I've never played a FE, so my knowledge is strategy RPG with some form of permadeath, and some slice of life type of content.

Is the combat a big part of the game, or is the school stuff the biggest focus? The latter doesn't really interest me all that much, and Persona was the only series that managed to keep me interested with that type of thing. I'm very traditional with RPGs, so light story with a strong focus on the combat/grinding is my perfect formula.
First Fire Emblem with school stuff. FE is more about the combat. You can skip the school stuff or do it manually.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
oh, like you'd be able to resist teasing iggy about wanting to bone the goddess

twitter does something to the looping that makes the timing a bit shit, but whatever

/edit actually it's the embed somehow? It looks fine on-site

Yoooo amazing job man lol! Looks great!
It pretty obvious by now but Petra crits are just so much.
I just got that Petra x Ignatz support the other night, and I was totally considering switching to glasses-wearing Petra for my avatar lol nice one!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Petra crits and dodges lot
Felix crits, dodges and does actual damage a lot
Both are good tho. Specially since Petra is easier to make into a flier.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
First Fire Emblem with school stuff. FE is more about the combat. You can skip the school stuff or do it manually.

Right, that doesn't sound too bad.
Just one more question: I don't tend to replay games- is this one of those were I'd be missing out if I didn't do a playthrough with every class, or can I sort of experience everything in one playthrough?

I'm fine if it's substantially different, but if it's just doing the same thing with a different set of characters/story, then chances are I won't touch it.

Like, I got put off FF Type 0 when I realised I had to basically get to NG+3 to actually see the story through.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Being currently at Chapter 9, and i can't remember, but is there the chance to get a Dark Seal before the time-skip?

Let's just address the core discussion question right up front:
Was Edelgard Right?
1) Yup
2) Definitely
3) 100%

Boom, there's your poll.

Damn, i need this poll to allow multiple answers then!

j/k ^^

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

It's probably about 50/50. You WILL need to do the school stuff to be able to help out your battles. However it doesn't work completely like Persona, as you can only walk around the school on the "free" days (Sundays), but that's not your only option of what to do. You'll have a mission you have to do at the end of each month (like Persona) where you'll have to go to a battle. during the weeks, starting on Mondays, you can instruct your students and that goes for the whole week, and then you get the free day. On the free day your options are to Explore the monastery, have a Seminar (teaches a subset of people some skills and increases their motivation), go to battle (free battles, rare monster sightings, paralogues), and rest (increases everyone's motivation and restore uses to Byleth's special weapon). You can also skip the free days, but I really don't recommend doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.