• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I swear there's something off about hit rates this game.
I think I remember reading somewhere there's a secret bell curve where everything below like 30 basically never hits and everything above 80 almost always does, so the numbers aren't totally accurate.

Also does difficulty effect it? My hit rates feel way swingier on hard.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a lot of bad luck recently. So many low percentage hits are hitting. I'm not dying but it's annoying when you get hit at 20% every time. At this point, I expect it to hit.
On one map my thief got hit by 4 20% gambits in a row. The battle was pretty much already over (my entire team was waiting at the commander), and all the gambits did was delay me opening a chest by 4 turns.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The Manuela/Hanneman B Support starts with Hanneman saying "Manuela, about the other day..."

Of course I had to get that post time-skip so "the other day," happened 5 years before and the two teachers are in the middle of a war...

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember reading somewhere there's a secret bell curve where everything below like 30 basically never hits and everything above 80 almost always does, so the numbers aren't totally accurate.

I dont think we know what kind of hitrate formula we use, as different FE games handle them in different ways. However its extrememlt likely that the game is lying to us and the % work more in our favor the higher it is (as in 80% is a lot closer to 85% for example)

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The Manuela/Hanneman B Support starts with Hanneman saying "Manuela, about the other day..."

Of course I had to get that post time-skip so "the other day," happened 5 years before and the two teachers are in the middle of a war...

Not sure if manuela/hannerman are one of them. but there are a number of supports in this game that are hard locked to not advance until post time skip, but the first support post time skip still acts like the previous support just happened. Its one of the more glaring problems in what is a very good game, I think.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
What's the reward for saving the army in Hilda's paralogue? Is it worth replaying? I only got a bullion.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Not sure if manuela/hannerman are one of them. but there are a number of supports in this game that are hard locked to not advance until post time skip, but the first support post time skip still acts like the previous support just happened. Its one of the more glaring problems in what is a very good game, I think.

Fortunately I only had a few pre-time skip C/B ranks to go through so this wasn't as big a problem, but I can imagine it's pretty bad if you have a particularly large Roster.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
The way supports slightly change depending on:
- Route
- Story progression
- chosen avatar gender

Is crazy though. Like the replay for support conversations has a billion suboptions just because supports can have different dialogue depending on all of these. It boggles my mind.

Same with the meal options and the group activities having special dialogue not only depending on specific character combinations, but also, the current support rank between them AND whether you do it pre- or post-timeskip.

For example, if they are at C support, Hannemann will interrogate Lysithea when you dine with them, but when they hit B support, he will awkwardly shuffle around as to not inconvenience her.

I'll forgive them when some of the support lines are a bit off and don't hit all the marks with the adaptation, they already did so many variants of everything at this point!

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you don't have to tell me about RNG in programming ... i had my fair share of fun. Both sarcastically because i had to deal with it and literally by having some trainees deal with it. ^^

Just wasn't aware how it's working in TRPGs. Given your description, then it might really be possible to alter the stat ups at level up by using Divine Pulse and skipping a turn for a different shot at the level up.

Gotta pray that the RNG gods are more benevolent the next time though. ^^
I don't know how it works here but IIRC on the GBA games just moving your character could change the RNG seed since the arrow that showed you the movement path had some randomness to it. If you ever watch a GBA FE speedrun it's amusing how they manipulate the RNG with that arrow.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with recruiting Hilda? My first playthrough with BE I was unable to recruit or talk indepth with her, so I figured she was a partner with the House Leader, like Dedue and Hubert.

Right now I'm playing BL and was able to recruit her, so what are the requirements to be able to do that? Is it just not be with BE or something different?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Flayne and seteth a support
Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
GD Chapter 21
Yooooooooooooooooo what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkk we droppin BOMBS here

Holy shit this fucking world is so much more metal than I initially gave it credit for... I pieced a lot of it together already but god damn we been wielding dragonbone shit this whole time? Yo why the Aganthians got missiles though? What up with this fuckin sci fi underground base with hologram runes and shit? The fuck is going on?
It's actually nothing new for Fire Emblem.
IIRC good old Falchion (and other equivalents) are made out of Naga's claws (divine dragon which more or less created the world).

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with recruiting Hilda? My first playthrough with BE I was unable to recruit or talk indepth with her, so I figured she was a partner with the House Leader, like Dedue and Hubert.

Right now I'm playing BL and was able to recruit her, so what are the requirements to be able to do that? Is it just not be with BE or something different?
You could recruit her in BE C, they just had a really roundabout solution to making her not recruitable in the other route.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

She is an important enemy general in BE-E . Basically she cant be recruited until your path is set to BE-C

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Two days and I still can't beat the fields of revenge (BE )with my current crew and level, I'm forced to put it on normal and see if that goes better. :(

I realized I started the game very sloppy with not doing enough paralogues and optionals and with the exception of one failed to recruit anyone before TS.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Flayne and seteth a support
Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I never got that one. but I guess it has to do with their backstory right? the game hints at that in so many ways that i pieced it together on my own haha

You are on GD right? Did you do Claudes paralogue? Both seteth and flayn have an amuzing conversation with the boss if they initiante attacks.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
You could recruit her in BE C, they just had a really roundabout solution to making her not recruitable in the other route.
That's weird cuz I swear I wasn't able to talk to her, cuz I had lost items I was sure we're hers and if I talked to her she would just say a line and the exchange would be done, no option for gifts, items, or tea.

My first playthrough was indeed BE E, but at earliest I didn't make that an option til ch.11 so idk why I couldn't beforehand. Might have been a glitch.

Oct 28, 2017
That's weird cuz I swear I wasn't able to talk to her, cuz I had lost items I was sure we're hers and if I talked to her she would just say a line and the exchange would be done, no option for gifts, items, or tea.

My first playthrough was indeed BE E, but at earliest I didn't make that an option til ch.11 so idk why I couldn't beforehand. Might have been a glitch.
When you make the choice and are locked into the Church route then you'll be able to talk to her, lost items, etc.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Thats because the game wont allow you to recruit her until you set to BE-C.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

Difficulty should not affect it.

I can't seem to be able to embed the image on my tablet but do a google search for "true hit".

Yeah so to give a few examples 50% is 50%, but 20% is actually 8%, and 80% is actually 92% (rounded here cuz I'm lazy).

The idea is that low hit rates miss very often and high hit rates hit very often, but not in accordance to an even distribution but rather what the human brain expects. It's a long story but it has to do with how the human brain basically can't grasp probabilities and so game designers often implement "corrections" to "true randomness" to be more in line with what the human brain expects.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Difficulty should not affect it.

I can't seem to be able to embed the image on my tablet but do a google search for "true hit".

Yeah basically 50% is 50% but 20% is actually 8%, and 80% is actually 92% (rounded).

The idea is that low hit rates miss very often and high hit rates hit very often, but not in accordance to an even distribution but what the human brain expects. It's a long story but it has to do with how the human brain basically can't grasp probabilities and so game designers often implement "corrections" to "true randomness" to be more in line with what the human brain expects.

wait is it confirmed this game is using double rng for accuracy? i was expecting to have some variation of the fates mixed solution. interesting

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I never got that one. but I guess it has to do with their backstory right? the game hints at that in so many ways that i pieced it together on my own haha

You are on GD right? Did you do Claudes paralogue? Both seteth and flayn have an amuzing conversation with the boss if they initiante attacks.

Yeah I think I only got seteth's, I'll have to look up flayns

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In general people like their first House the most in terms of characters and story. Im playing BE-E after GD and while I like it, its not GD

I started with BL and i really enjoyed it. Really charming cast.

Now i'm on BE and well... Hubbert constantly threatens to kill Byleth. Yikes. I'd kick his ass even considering i'm his professor.

And considering everything in BL, i have a hard time connecting with Edelgard at all.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
wait is it confirmed this game is using double rng for accuracy? i was expecting to have some variation of the fates mixed solution. interesting
I don't think anyone did the math yet (or reverse-engineered the code) so we can't know for sure. It's possible it's a variation of the Fates implementation yes.

Edit: I'm 100% sure the high hit rates hit much, much more than they should, at least. Seriously I basically never miss and my hit rate is often in the 70-100 range.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I started with BL and i really enjoyed it. Really charming cast.

Now i'm on BE and well... Hubbert constantly threatens to kill Byleth. Yikes. I'd kick his ass even considering i'm his professor.

And considering everything in BL, i have a hard time connecting with Edelgard at all.

Edelgard's C supports (forgot if she had one or two C supports before the skip) helps humanize her more.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My luck is very good with hit rates and criticals
With class tests tho, it seems that unless I am 100% i never pass

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to play through again with another house? Does the story change a lot or is it basically just the same path with different characters and minor changes?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone did the math yet (or reverse-engineered the code) so we can't know for sure. It's possible it's a variation of the Fates implementation yes.

Edit: I'm 100% sure the high hit rates hit much, much more than they should, at least. Seriously I basically never miss and my hit rate is often in the 70-100 range.

I agree that hit rates hit more than they should as usual. the thing about double rng (or any similar variation) is that if the hit rate is below 50% then the opposite effect happens, hit rates would hit way less than usual. Maybe they have something else in place for below 50% just like in fates.

Is it worth it to play through again with another house? Does the story change a lot or is it basically just the same path with different characters and minor changes?

Pre ch 11 is similar but there are some new conversations and variations specially to acomodate for the flame emperor.
Post ch 11 it changes a lot

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Post-timeskip, the routes diverge almost completely to the point that there are different final bosses and story revelations in each.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Man... Lysithea is a bitch. Poor Marianne and Ignatz.

She's so mean to Ignatz, and when he runs off crying her only take is "I wonder if people think I'm a stupid kid like him when they see me? Oh god, that would be awful."
I was waiting for her to apologize in her A support, but nope.

Golden Deer peeps really need to stop bullying poor Ignatz.

So NG+ stacks with multiple playthroughts? Or is it a one time thing?

It stacks, at least you keep
crests and statue renovations.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really agree with you, beyond the fact that I hate the hair thingy, but really
isn't there more or less a good reason for her looking kinda sickly?

It's pretty much entirely character model quality, I think. Something about her face, her GIGANTIC eyes, and the way her nose kind of barely registers as an object makes her look really, really weird and uncanny valley on a level other characters don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.