• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Brave weapons are ideally used on characters that are too slow to double enemies with silver weapons (the same philosophy as making slow characters into Brawlers). High str, low speed characters like Raphael and Dedue.
Yeah, I find weapon balance to be pretty good overall, with maybe Steel weapons being a bit too much the de facto "combat art weapons".
  • Relics are weighty and have low durability (and need uncommon materials to repair), but hit hard.
  • Iron is weak but speedy, which makes them super relevant especially early or even mid game (plus high evasion).
  • Silver is cool but not super durable and still a tad weighty. Plus you need B-rank.
  • Brave are weighty yes but can allow slowpokes to double and/or allow every character to double BEFORE the enemy counterattack. And in some cases you'll get four attacks.
  • Killer are heavy and aren't durable but are crazy powerful (as their name implies).
  • Magic weapons are heavy and not really durable plus tend to have low hit rate but are good options against armored targets (Armorslayers are good but have medium might meaning even with the triple bonus it has limited usability against heavily armored targets).
  • Lower tier projectile weapons are cheap ways to increase range which work well enough for most of the game.
  • Also magic is crazy good but mages are glass cannons.
If anything I'm not a fan of higher-tier projectile weapons, they're too heavy and have crap hit rate for still rather limited damage. But most weapons are pretty relevant for most of the game. And that's good.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I'm kind of disappointed there wasn't any DLC news, I would prefer to do my second playthrough on lunatic. I found hard to be pretty easy, and I don't want it to feel like I am going through the motions like I feel a NG+ Hard playthrough would be for me right now. Guess I'll wait it out.
Glad to know the completely broken difficulty won't be fixed until months after launch. The game feels unfinished.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I am tremendously curious as to what Ingrid's direction was meant to be. Her delivery is so monotone compared to the other characters that I'm wondering if it was meant to be intentional. She sounds like she's on the spectrum.
I didn't have any issues with her delivery. There was just something different about her voice than every other one in the game. Might be lower quality audio or something. I just noticed it every time she talked earlier in the game. Eventually I got used to it though.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I've just finished my fourth route (Blue Lions), and so now have seen all 3H has to offer after 170 hours.

I don't want it to be over, it's so fucking good. I want to keep playing the game all day and all night. It's easily my favourite game ever made, and I don't think anything will ever come near it.

I'm starting Astral Chain next and I love the aesthetic, but I'm so deflated. 3H has ruined me

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Mission wise they're similar (aside from maybe one or two unique maps and final chapter) but character motivations, cutscenes, conversations and focus of the story are usually different.
Before the timeskip, they're very similar. Only notable differences are the lords and support characters themselves. Certain scenes, especially with Dimitri and Edelgard, do play out differently and you learn enough substantial info that you can't just skip the cutscenes.

Post timeskip is much more different comparatively. There is map reuse, but generally the enemy placement is different and the story plays out completely differently in most cases, though there is some similarity in a few maps between GD and BL specifically.

Awesome, thanks!

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm so annoyed that the Direct had nothing in terms of 3 Houses DLC information. I'm waiting patiently for the minor stuff to be released before I start my 2nd playthrough but, damn, I want to have at least an idea of when that stuff might be released and what's in it.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I find weapon balance to be pretty good overall, with maybe Steel weapons being a bit too much the de facto "combat art weapons".
  • Relics are weighty and have low durability (and need uncommon materials to repair), but hit hard.
  • Iron is weak but speedy, which makes them super relevant especially early or even mid game (plus high evasion).
  • Silver is cool but not super durable and still a tad weighty. Plus you need B-rank.
  • Brave are weighty yes but can allow slowpokes to double and/or allow every character to double BEFORE the enemy counterattack. And in some cases you'll get four attacks.
  • Killer are heavy and aren't durable but are crazy powerful (as their name implies).
  • Magic weapons are heavy and not really durable plus tend to have low hit rate but are good options against armored targets (Armorslayers are good but have medium might meaning even with the triple bonus it has limited usability against heavily armored targets).
  • Lower tier projectile weapons are cheap ways to increase range which work well enough for most of the game.
  • Also magic is crazy good but mages are glass cannons.
If anything I'm not a fan of higher-tier projectile weapons, they're too heavy and have crap hit rate for still rather limited damage. But most weapons are pretty relevant for most of the game. And that's good.

That's a good rundown! I think those differences will come into better play when lunatic rolls out. Even on hard, I find myself just using training weapons like 95% of the time, to be honest. If anything, I think I probably implemented higher weapon grades earlier on, which is kinda funny because I basically reverted back to training weapons as my character skill levels got higher.

Concreto

Oct 27, 2017
Just did Dimitri x Sylvain B support and I'm sad there is no A support. They are childhood friends, but you can see Dimitri just like Felix and Ingrid better (and so does Sylvain).

Dimitri x Raphael B support was also gold, I didn't expect so much humor in Dimitri's supports given what happens post time skip.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
That's a good rundown! I think those differences will come into better play when lunatic rolls out. Even on hard, I find myself just using training weapons like 95% of the time, to be honest. If anything, I think I probably implemented higher weapon grades earlier on, which is kinda funny because I basically reverted back to training weapons as my character skill levels got higher.

Oddly enough, I find that training weapons become more useful as the game progresses. Due to the battalion bonuses, weaponfaire skills, and general stat inflation, the Mt bonus from a weapon becomes significantly less valuable in comparison to its Wt, and the improved Hit of training weapons helps units hit dodgier enemies. Training weapons only seem to fall out of use for characters that get so much Str that iron weapons cease to incur an attack speed penalty (which requires 20 str for swords, 24 str for lances, and 28 str for axes)

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I believe I'm going up on the final chapter in the BL route. Any advice on stuff I should do beforehand in terms of prepping for NG+? I was told to spend all my money because we can't take it with us, lol. At this point, I've accrued quite a nest egg due to my hoarder mentality.

Oddly enough, I find that training weapons become more useful as the game progresses. Due to the battalion bonuses, weaponfaire skills, and general stat inflation, the Mt bonus from a weapon becomes significantly less valuable in comparison to its Wt, and the improved Hit of training weapons helps units hit dodgier enemies. Training weapons only seem to fall out of use for characters that get so much Str that iron weapons cease to incur an attack speed penalty (which requires 20 str for swords, 24 str for lances, and 28 str for axes)

Yeah, that's the major reason why. At some point, the difference in Mt between weapons becomes inconsequential, as you'll be ORKO-ing most enemies, regardless. The only time I find myself considering going up to iron, steel, etc. is if I wanna finish an enemy off in one-hit as opposed to one-round, so I can avoid risking a counter altogether. Given how good healing is, even taking damage here and there isn't really a problem.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
I liked Fleche but its sad that she dies in every route. Her dying in BE-E was basically "Fleche died on the way back to her planet".

Aren't you thinking of Ladislava ? I don't think Fleche die in Crimson Flower. She is just there at the monastery almost all the time. Though it was a missed opportunity to not have her recruitable in that route

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I believe I'm going up on the final chapter in the BL route. Any advice on stuff I should do beforehand in terms of prepping for NG+? I was told to spend all my money because we can't take it with us, lol. At this point, I've accrued quite a nest egg due to my hoarder mentality.

Yeah, that's the major reason why. At some point, the difference in Mt between weapons becomes inconsequential, as you'll be ORKO-ing most enemies, regardless. The only time I find myself considering going up to iron, steel, etc. is if I wanna finish an enemy off in one-hit as opposed to one-round, so I can avoid risking a counter altogether. Given how good healing is, even taking damage here and there isn't really a problem.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I use Training+, Silver, and Killer+ with certain types like Petra. Petra should use nothing else with her inherent bonuses. Brave are nice from time to time, but need Accuracy ring

Certain characters just wipe the crap out of enemy in multiple hits before there is no counter. And at least in the early game Edelgard is severely OP with just Training+

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Aren't you thinking of Ladislava ? I don't think Fleche die in Crimson Flower. She is just there at the monastery almost all the time. Though it was a missed opportunity to not have her recruitable in that route
Yeah I may have missed a dialog but I don't think that character dies in that route.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I played my entire hard/classic run through GD using nothing but training+ weapons.

God I wish this game was hard enough that weapon choice mattered.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
It is very funny how supposedly early game disposable weapons become increasingly useful once things like Weight come and stat bonuses come into play for sure.

Anyway, GD Ch20 just tossed me right into the battle, since I read there were 22, I'm assuming we'll be able to go back to the monastery after this right?

I still haven't finished all my supports :(

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
started a new run for first time as M!Byleth. severely disappointed I don't get one free unit (sylvain) to recruit. F!Byleth really is best byleth. personally i feel the story makes more sense with byleth being a woman.

decided to start male byleth path with Black Eagles.
Time to take out the CEO of Racism and Fascism all over again. is it just me or fascism and racism go hand in hand?

FEAR THE... wait im not with GD this route. I S ranked Rhea on my first ever vanilla route. Wonder if I should do so again or go for flayn, leonie, or sothis? Would like to s rank Lysithea but Linhardt support is too based as fuck to not do. no point in dorothea, mercedes as i already S ranked them with F!Byleth.

gonna enjoy styling on the dubstep crew again. forever on my shit list alongside the loptyr cult.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
1+ month later and I'm still thinking about this game. Reaalllly tempted to continue my BL playthrough but I know the burnout will set in quickly and I have other things to play.

1000% my GOTY and I'm definitely That Guy now who really wants Edelgard in Smash. Claude would be good too.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I am tremendously curious as to what Ingrid's direction was meant to be. Her delivery is so monotone compared to the other characters that I'm wondering if it was meant to be intentional. She sounds like she's on the spectrum.
I didn't have any issues with her delivery. There was just something different about her voice than every other one in the game. Might be lower quality audio or something. I just noticed it every time she talked earlier in the game. Eventually I got used to it though.
Dang, I actually really like Ingrid's voice actress. She's got a throaty, tough sort of voice that's still dainty (unlike Cathy, who you can practically hear the "ORE WA!")

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I am debating between this and Astral Chain. Astral might be up my alley with the combat but the art style is not for me, really.

I feel gravitated towards this game but I don't have much experience with the series. I liked Awakening a lot and I always wanted to play a Persona title.

Anyone have any advice?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I keep on hearing about people having bad units in their chosen class, but for me every one of the students from GD was in my A team.

A lot of them had bad starts, but once they reached their advanced classes and got their bad level ups taken care of they all exploded.

I hear that Iggy is a bad unit for a lot of people but he turned out great for me. I made him a thief > assassin for better speed & dex growth rates, and though he had low strength he was doubling and avoiding nearly everyone with good crits. Not on the same god level as Petra as an assassin, but still great. He doesn't get bowfaire or bow range +1, but the speed growths makes him more useful imo and he gets +1 movement instead of the bow range. Plus Leonie and Claude are more than enough to cover over half a map as archers.

What level was everyone at the end of the game for y'all? Claude and Byleth were around 45, and everyone else in GD was hovering around 38-42.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I keep on hearing about people having bad units in their chosen class, but for me every one of the students from GD was in my A team.

A lot of them had bad starts, but once they reached their advanced classes and got their bad level ups taken care of they all exploded.

I hear that Iggy is a bad unit for a lot of people but he turned out great for me. I made him a thief > assassin for better speed & dex growth rates, and though he had low strength he was doubling and avoiding nearly everyone with good crits. Not on the same god level as Petra as an assassin, but still great. He doesn't get bowfaire or bow range +1, but the speed growths makes him more useful imo and he gets +1 movement instead of the bow range. Plus Leonie and Claude are more than enough to cover over half a map as archers.

What level was everyone at the end of the game for y'all? Claude and Byleth were around 45, and everyone else in GD was hovering around 38-42.
Every unit is viable in this game. No one is really bad, just suboptimal. And the game is easy enough for none of it to matter anyway.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every unit is viable in this game. No one is really bad, just suboptimal. And the game is easy enough for none of it to matter anyway.

Yep. For me Shamir was the only unit I felt was bad. Everyone else was good enough, and Hard was too easy.

I feel like Claude takes the Hard difficulty from kinda easy to too easy. Fast, strong, with high movement and range just breaks things imo. Plus he has pass to get through enemy units so nothing really restricts him.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
So I am debating between this and Astral Chain. Astral might be up my alley with the combat but the art style is not for me, really.

I feel gravitated towards this game but I don't have much experience with the series. I liked Awakening a lot and I always wanted to play a Persona title.

Anyone have any advice?

If you played and enjoyed Awakening and have any sort of interest in what Persona looks, even if it's just on a surface level, you're gonna enjoy this game.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Given that I'm still in a Fire Emblem mood, but I don't want to start the other routes in 3H on the current difficulty options, I decided to start Path of Radience, which I've never finished before. What immediately stands out, the pacing of this game is bliss. Within an hour I'm already 3 chapters in. You get about 5 minutes of story exposition, which is well written, and before you know it you're in combat. It's become more and more clear to me that the Monastery and Calendar eventes in 3H take up too much of the time spend in that game, dragging the pacing completely down.

Jesse

Oct 28, 2017
So I've just had the time skip happen. How many more hours am I in for?
I'm kinda done with the monastery and all the support conversations stalling the actual game..

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So I've just had the time skip happen. How many more hours am I in for?
I'm kinda done with the monastery and all the support conversations stalling the actual game..
I've got some bad news for you....
I think you're a little over the halfway point, but the support conversations and the monastery are not going anywhere. During the last 3 chapters I just rushed through the monastery spamming lectures. I even purposely didn't start some support conversation for characters that I did not care about.

Jesse

Oct 28, 2017
Oof.. Ok. All I do in the monastery is garden > eat dinner to raise morale > spend remaining points to increase skills and repeat.
This loop has gotten old.

How many chapters are there for Golden Deer?

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Oof.. Ok. All I do in the monastery is garden > eat dinner to raise morale > spend remaining points to increase skills and repeat.
This loop has gotten old.

How many chapters are there for Golden Deer?
22 chapters for the GD route. And yep. Talk to everyone on the first Sunday of the month, garden, raise motivation / morale and repeat. The structure really falls apart the further you get into the game.

Jesse

Oct 28, 2017
Currently on chapter 14, so I might just finish it.

What does talking to everyone on the first Sunday do?

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Everyone's dialogue in the monastery updates based on the most recent story events. But any subsequent time that you explore the monastery the dialogue doesn't change. So I ended up going through all the character dialogue on the first Sunday of every month.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

If you feel like just not doing anything from the monastery, set the goals of your charaters and do the auto stuff, you don't really have to explore the monastery if you don't want. You're missing out on a few quests that might unlock semi-useful Battalions, but outside of that it's really only for your professor rank and the motivation of your chars.

Stuff like paralogues are unlocked automatically if you match their requirements, and the supports can be done by menu.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
New Cipher card for Three Houses!
This time ... it's more Claude!
Sure, why not.

EDxCX3cU4AIAllF.png:large

I really like his smug face on the front.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my second run, this time through GD

Even though they are the same chapter length, GD just feels longer and more in-depth than BL. You get a LOT more plot and lore revelations and (I think) a more satisfying ending. It didn't help that they shared more maps than they should have, but GD's last two maps are sick and BL's last map is just a slog.

Ended up pairing Bylass with Claude because it felt leagues ahead of any other option. This time I had the know-how to deliberately set up some pairings, so Hilda goofed off with Caspar, Lysithea got saved by Linhart, and Marianne got with Ferdinand (LOVE the detail about the statue he commissions of her). Outside of my planning, Ignatz and Raphael also ended up bros, which is great. Leonie browbeat Lorenz into marriage. Glad the dude could finally swallow his pride a bit.

I already started my BE run (finally get some answers about wtf Edelgard is actually trying to do) but I might be close to burning out. I could end up saving it until some of the DLC comes out later.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
In 'Support' if Byleth misses an opportunity to further the bond, is that then gone forever? You can never improve Support between those two characters?

Also, I can't find Weeds. And I can't progress with any Monastery objectives until I clear this one. And I can't grow or find weeds.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
In 'Support' if Byleth misses an opportunity to further the bond, is that then gone forever? You can never improve Support between those two characters?

Also, I can't find Weeds. And I can't progress with any Monastery objectives until I clear this one. And I can't grow or find weeds.

Nah, you can just go into the support menu and activate it like the other ones if you miss the opportunity/decline it during the week.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse in the GD route where Claude tries multiple times to work with Dimitri's forces but he's all "KILL THEM ALL". The answer from other routes is that Edelgard killed the envoys between the Alliance & Kingdom to prevent them from grouping up, and that the battle is so chaotic from Edelgard's strategies that it's basically a fog of war.

But it very much does not come off as that in the GD & BL routes.

This map really should have had fog of war. With thousands of enemies all over the place and very little visibility, it would have made this mission as chaotic as they implied it was.

Playing through BL, I kind of understand Dimitri's POV. I dont agree with it but he was so consumed with revenge and had such a low opinion of himself, he didnt care whether he died or not. The Professor really was the X factor in getting him to be more temperate.

I could have sworn Randolph, Fleche and Ladislava died in BE-E. I remember their deaths were announced during a cutscene in late game BE-E. Maybe Fleche survived I guess? Either way, I liked her and she should have been recruitable for sure.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Do you mean when you click on the support in the menu and it says "you missed your chance to deepen this bond"? If so, then yeah, you missed it for that playthrough.

To get weeds, you need to grow multiple of the same 1 star plant, with a predicted yield of 1.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does each end map route have its own OST, and are any of them as good as the Golden Deer one? It's been stuck in my head since I finished the route.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, you can just go into the support menu and activate it like the other ones if you miss the opportunity/decline it during the week.
I don't believe this is true. If you receive the "you missed the opportunity to deepen this bond" message for supports, you no longer have a chance to activate that support with the character for the remainder of the game. Even in future months, the option will continue to be greyed out in the support menu.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe this is true. If you receive the "you missed the opportunity to deepen this bond" message for supports, you no longer have a chance to activate that support with the character for the remainder of the game. Even in future months, the option will continue to be greyed out in the support menu.

Depends on the character. Some you can do them at any time. Others like Rhea, Leonie and a couple other can definitely be permanently missed. Some of them like Rhea sense, but it's real dumb for most of them.

Should've probably been clearer when i originally responded.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I could have sworn Randolph, Fleche and Ladislava died in BE-E. I remember their deaths were announced during a cutscene in late game BE-E. Maybe Fleche survived I guess? Either way, I liked her and she should have been recruitable for sure.
Randolph and Ladislava die when the church counterattacks. I don't think it's even clarified what happened to Fleche, but I'm pretty sure she's still around the Monastery for the very few months remaining (before the final month).

And yeah it's weird we can't recruit her.

Edit:
Depends on the character. Some you can do them at any time. Others like Rhea, Leonie and a couple other can definitely be permanently missed. Some of them like Rhea sense, but it's real dumb for most of them.

I'm pretty sure all C-ranks with the MC are missable (and no other is missable). It may be possible to crack it with NG+ though (granted you have a previous playthrough to back you up).

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I am playing through my second set of routes (BE-E), and trying some different things with characters this time. All recruits from other houses are Waifu's. I'm going to turn both Petra and Edelgard into Wyvern Lords ( I know Petra is god-tier assassin - wanted to see her as WL). Byleth will be Falcon Knight, which takes her way off the main "sword" path. Will leave Lysithea as a Warlock this run, Leonie will be a Falcon Knight that can use a bow, and the first trip down the BE path going to leave Linhardt as a Bishop, going to make Dorothea a Warlock/Dancer, and Hubert will probably end at DK, but might just stay at Warlock as well. Almost everyone on my BE squad uses some form of magic except for Ferdinand. Next BE play through probably going to turn Edelgard into a mage as well, with Bolt axe ... might be pretty cool

I understand the BE-E route to only be 18 chapters, so this run should be pretty short. Only in Ch7 right now though. I love this game ... Sure wish Lunatic mode would drop though

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I am playing through my second set of routes (BE-E), and trying some different things with characters this time. All recruits from other houses are Waifu's. I'm going to turn both Petra and Edelgard into Wyvern Lords ( I know Petra is god-tier assassin - wanted to see her as WL). Byleth will be Falcon Knight, which takes her way off the main "sword" path. Will leave Lysithea as a Warlock this run, Leonie will be a Falcon Knight that can use a bow, and the first trip down the BE path going to leave Linhardt as a Bishop, going to make Dorothea a Warlock/Dancer, and Hubert will probably end at DK, but might just stay at Warlock as well. Almost everyone on my BE squad uses some form of magic except for Ferdinand. Next BE play through probably going to turn Edelgard into a mage as well, with Bolt axe ... might be pretty cool

I understand the BE-E route to only be 18 chapters, so this run should be pretty short. Only in Ch7 right now though. I love this game ... Sure wish Lunatic mode would drop though
Lysithea doesn't get anything from the Warlock class because she uses dark magic instead of black magic. If you don't want her in a master class she is actually better as a bishop.

Same for Hubert, Warlock gives him nothing. Though he can actually become a dark bishop.

Last edited:

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'm in chapter 16 of BE-E and it seems I missed my window to do the Leonie + Linhardt paralogue??
Can I ONLY do that one im chapter 15???
Whack.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Do you mean when you click on the support in the menu and it says "you missed your chance to deepen this bond"? If so, then yeah, you missed it for that playthrough.

To get weeds, you need to grow multiple of the same 1 star plant, with a predicted yield of 1.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm reaching the end of my first play through. I chose Golden Deer. I'm up to 65 hours.

I've not used Battalions or Gambits in any battles so far.