• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God the Felix / Annette supports are so good. I only saw the first two during my run so I'm just catching up with all of them now and this tsundere ass dude really has a soft spot for small girls doesn't he.

Annette's VA performance is top 5 in the game. The delivery is amazing wtf.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my second playthrough. First run I went Black Eagles with the alternate route, and married Edelgard. This time I went Golden Deer and married Marianne. Both times I think I made the right choice they're so great! I think I liked the golden deer path more? Really shocked I like the game so much I've gone through it twice.

I think I gotta hit YouTube up now for some of the other support/marriage bits. I'm not doing a third playthrough... I think.

Last edited:

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Training weapons are great since their weight is very low, they are pretty accurate and have great durability to boot. If your character has very high Strenght but low Speed, they may actually be the better option (that, and for Monk characters that can achieve x4 attacks that way), if only to avoid getting doubled.
Iron weapons are the bread and butter, thanks to higher Might. Slightly heavier than Training ones, but not that much in most cases.
Steel weapons should be used only to get the extra boost necessary to kill a target, or against units with high Defense, since their weight will hinder one's speed too much and make them susceptible to getting doubled (and eventually killed). Unless your character has insane Speed to begin with, that is, or Speed so low that using lighter weapons would be a waste anyway (ie. armored units).
Silver weapons are better than everything listed above, thanks to very high Might, similar accuracy to Iron (ie. pretty good), and being lighter than Steel weapons (still a bit heavier than Iron ones). The caveat is that they have low-ish durability, and a B rank is necessary to use them.

TLDR: Training and Iron are great in most circumstances (using one or the other will essentially depend on your character's speed).
Steel are situational. Silver are amazing (although can be considered overkill in some situations).
I'd only really use steel weapons for combat arts where attack speed doesn't matter. Below maddening you're probably not using enough combat arts to bother bringing along a steel weapon though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Even on hard I was using training weapons up until the final battle, when I just broke the best stuff I had available. Training weapons are cheap and often if I didn't kill off a double I killed off a combat art. Repairing/replacing training weapons was cheap so I never worried about spamming expensive arts.

It was very entertaining seeing Emperor Edelgard run around with a training axe hitting people for 120 damage after a crit.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The problem with a no iron game is that silver weapons are actually lighter than steel so "no iron" just means.. use silver and get the benefits of higher damage and not getting doubled.
Now, a steel only game would be really interesting
Silver incurs a non-negligible weight penalty for like 70% of the game (they're weightier than Iron).

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
I really wish Byleth's spell list wasn't so awful. Zero utility spells, no ranged heal, no attacks with more than 2 range. Just bog standard 2 ranged attack spells of various MT. Enlightened One is so wasted on Byleth.

Enlightened One is mainly useful for getting Byleth a free Advanced class, since they need Faculty Training to get their skills high enough to promote into anything else. It has Swordfaire, too, so there's little reason to make Byleth any other advanced class or infantry master class, and all of the Master classes require a lot of faculty training.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Enlightened One is mainly useful for getting Byleth a free Advanced class, since they need Faculty Training to get their skills high enough to promote into anything else. It has Swordfaire, too, so there's little reason to make Byleth any other advanced class or infantry master class, and all of the Master classes require a lot of faculty training.
I know. It's just a shame that Byleth doesn't have a good path as a spellcaster unlike past avatars.

Enlightened One would be a dope class for a unit with a good utility spell list. If Byleth had Marianne or Manuela's spell list it'd have been perfect. Instead Byleth has no real reason to cast any spells despite being in a spell class other than to save Levin sword durability.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my second playthrough. First run I went Black Eagles with the alternate route, and married Edelgard. This time I went Golden Deer and married Marianne. Both times I think I made the right choice they're so great! I think I liked the golden deer path more? Really shocked I like the game so much I've gone through it twice.

I think I gotta hit YouTube up now for some of the other support/marriage bits. I'm not doing a third playthrough... I think.

You should definitely do Blue Lions one of these days. It's awesome.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I made mistakes and two of my students died in battle. I'd like to recruit more from another House. However, do other students scale levels? Like would I be injecting a Level 1 out there?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
So I made mistakes and two of my students died in battle. I'd like to recruit more from another House. However, do other students scale levels? Like would I be injecting a Level 1 out there?
Their levels scale based off of the chapter number. In some cases these auto leveled recruits actually start with better stats than if you had leveled them yourself.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God the Felix / Annette supports are so good. I only saw the first two during my run so I'm just catching up with all of them now and this tsundere ass dude really has a soft spot for small girls doesn't he.

Annette's VA performance is top 5 in the game. The delivery is amazing wtf.
Yeah, just finished it and it's so good. Felix is a tsundere in like half his supports, it's funny.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a list or chart of all the months/chapters in each route where you cannot do monastery activities?

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty easy to hit all inter-house supports within a play through, which I appreciate. Are there any extra-house or church supports that anyone would recommend as a must-see? I found Edelgard's support with Lysithea to be very sweet.

I've been going for Gremory Byleth on my current play through, but due to choir practice my faith was always higher than my reason. So up until Enlightened One unlocked, I found myself dipping into the Priest / Bishop path because I would hit those requirements first (though I made sure the master Mage for Fiendish Strike). Priest Byleth is a pretty funny characterization for her. "The Goddess speaks to me. She mostly nags me, though..."

What's up with the other Byleth in the holy tomb after Sothis merges with you? Is it always male byleth, or is it the opposite gender than the one you pick? It's creepy...

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Random question: a few characters end up in unique classes well before they hit master-level classes (ex. if you manage to unlock the Dancer class). Is there any advantage to continuing to unlock classes on those characters even if you never switch to them? I know in a few cases I've seen that character's stats go up after a certification exam (you get a screen similar to the level up screen, I'm not talking about class-specific stat boosts that disappear when you switch to a different class) but I don't really understand how this part of the system works.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Random question: a few characters end up in unique classes well before they hit master-level classes (ex. if you manage to unlock the Dancer class). Is there any advantage to continuing to unlock classes on those characters even if you never switch to them? I know in a few cases I've seen that character's stats go up after a certification exam (you get a screen similar to the level up screen, I'm not talking about class-specific stat boosts that disappear when you switch to a different class) but I don't really understand how this part of the system works.
Even class has a set of base stats. If a character certifies for the class and any of their base stats are lower than the class', their stats get upped to that number. So say if you somehow certified your low defense mage in fortress knight, their base defense would jump to 17.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Even class has a set of base stats. If a character certifies for the class and any of their base stats are lower than the class', their stats get upped to that number. So say if you somehow certified your low defense mage in fortress knight, their base defense would jump to 17.

And this applies even if you switch away from that class later? Or does that base only apply so long as you don't reclass?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
And this applies even if you switch away from that class later? Or does that base only apply so long as you don't reclass?

its a permanent change, however often you get both bonuses from the cert and a passive bonus from the class itself so you do lose the bonuses from the class if you switch away. For example, the Dragon Rider cert sets your str to 18 at minimun, additionally the class gives you +3 to str passively for a total of 21 str at minimun. if you switch away from dragon rider you lose the +3 bonus but keep any other change.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's a permanent change that happens on certification and applies even if you don't ever enter that class.
its a permanent change, however often you get both bonuses from the cert and a passive bonus from the class itself so you do lose the bonuses from the class if you switch away. For example, the Dragon Rider cert sets your str to 18 at minimun, additionally the class gives you +3 to str passively for a total of 21 str at minimun. if you switch away from dragon rider you lose the +3 bonus but keep any other change.

Awesome. Time to buy a whole bunch of seals, then! Thanks.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 2 took me 24 turns on Maddening, but I'm having a lot of fun so far. Linked Attacks and Gambits actually start to matter when your units can't hit anything or tank more than a single hit. Charm becomes valuable because Gambits are relevant, personal skills and positioning are way more important, each decision just feels like it carries a lot more weight.

Having to give a bow to pretty much every unit is maybe a bit silly, but I think it ultimately makes for a more interesting Support system than Pair Up or the "stand within 3 spaces" system of the old games.

Linked Attacks not prioritizing high-support teammates is garbage though, and it's only gonna become more and more of a nuisance as support ranks start building up. Optimal play being tied to the specific order of your units on the Preparations screen is incredibly opaque.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The animations in this game really leave so much to be desired. After 160 hours a part of me dies inside every time I have to see that damn animation of a character offering the palm of their hand forward.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I barely got all the supports in by the last free day in Crimson Flower. Had no idea it was gonna be this short, so I hope my pairings turn out how I planned them!

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
How does Hilda have a negative in authority? Getting other people to do stuff for her is her complete MO.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i scanned several amiibos in chain before returning to the gazebo, did they replace each other or do they appear in the monastery?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Finished BE-E last night (Hard NG+). Did BE-C first (Hard first play through) so it was...quite the contrast of story. Generally I liked it but having done BE-C first I figured I'd see some alternative viewpoints in the big pre-rendered cutscenes but instead there were barely any in BE-E and it felt really odd. Like huge dramatic moments in BE-C with a ~2min cutscene (eg the beginning of the 5 year jump) got little more than a static image and voiceover for the same event in BE-E.

Byleth by end game was actually a little on the weaker side. Not that much, but she came in 4th for power behind Lysithea, Edelgard, and Ingrid. Dorothea was pretty strong as well but was set as a dancer so her power was a little muted on offense. Bernie was a little weaker but still a reliable unit killer and Petra pretty much ended up exactly where she did on my BE-C route - good for killing normal units, mostly useless on bosses.

Final boss ended up being anti-climatic - after working my way along one side of the map to the boss, the enemy army sorta advanced to the middle around the boss but didn't persue me. So I ultimately I just had Ingrid chip away at the final boss (she was basically an untouchable angel of death by then) with an A rank special lance and had Byleth come in just for the finishing blow. So basically like 20 turns of Ingrid flying in, doubling on the one square of the boss where I'd broken shield, then flying back a few spaces. Rest of both armies just sorta chilling out.

As for the plot...
Lordy Rhea really turns on a dime in the Holy Tomb bit. Having done Church route already her going full psycho if you don't kill Edelgard felt like a bit too much too quickly. Especially if you'd done most all her supports.

The animations in this game really leave so much to be desired. After 160 hours a part of me dies inside every time I have to see that damn animation of a character offering the palm of their hand forward.

I sorta had a mental joke running whenever Byleth did the palm out animation imagining the characters she's talking to wondering what sort of weird tic she has to keep doing that.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
As for the plot...
Lordy Rhea really turns on a dime in the Holy Tomb bit. Having done Church route already her going full psycho if you don't kill Edelgard felt like a bit too much too quickly. Especially if you'd done most all her supports.
One of the point that's poorly articulated (but is true in all routes anyway is that):
Rhea's a ticking time bomb.

It's shown in two routes, and go back to the old FE trope that dragons go crazy after living too long.

She may be able to contain herself for the time being, depending on the context, but at some point a Falchion wielder will have to put her down, whether she plain goes crazy, or manages to find the strength to accept her death peacefully.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
One of the point that's poorly articulated (but is true in all routes anyway is that):

It's shown in two routes, and go back to the old FE trope that dragons go crazy after living too long.

She may be able to contain herself for the time being, depending on the context, but at some point a Falchion wielder will have to put her down, whether she plain goes crazy, or manages to find the strength to accept her death peacefully.

She is not..

A manakete tho. The children of the goddess seem to transform into different reptiles not just dragons like manaketes, we dont know what rules apply to them but we do know that the other 2 saints dont care too much about humanity but they arent even trying to destroy it.

However Rhea is obsesed about sothis and byleth as you can see in her supports. She seems to be one betrayal away from just losing it not unlike Dimitri. And seeing the wielder of the sword of the creator side with her enemy probably brought back the memories of the red canyon, she has a new king of liberation in front of her in the holy tomb even, she just loses it.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017

I haven't done GD or BL (doing GD next) so perhaps that'll reinforce the BE-E turn a little better for me, though it's not a huge deal - unlike say GoT the psycho moment did have enough buildup to not be totally out of the blue and not just have some loose foreshadowing.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally went through the time skip for the first time. Pretty cool stuff. I get the feeling though that I won't hav the opportunity to recruit any of the other students post-skip. Can someone confirm?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning with my second run - I'll go with the Black Eagles (and Edelgard) this time. I'm already missing my little deers though.
I'll play on maddening, without the new game, since I want the new title screen - any impressions on how the difficulty is compared to hard?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning with my second run - I'll go with the Black Eagles (and Edelgard) this time. I'm already missing my little deers though.
I'll play on maddening, without the new game, since I want the new title screen - any impressions on how the difficulty is compared to hard?

its maddening alright
it does drop of after a few chapters but ch1 and ch2 are hard to figure out.
also, i dont even know how BE-C route is even posible in maddening due to what happens in ch 11. BE-E route its probably easier?

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Does the protag carry her skill stats into NG+ and beyond? Post the skip, and after realizing I can't recruit any more students, I don't have much incentive to improve skills I'm not interested in using anymore. But if I'm able to carry them over, I def spend more points on advanced drills.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Does the protag carry her skill stats into NG+ and beyond? Post the skip, and after realizing I can't recruit any more students, I don't have much incentive to improve skills I'm not interested in using anymore. But if I'm able to carry them over, I def spend more points on advanced drills.

Yes, but you'll need to spend 500 renown per level. So say you get to Heavy Armor C in this run. In NG+, it would cost 1000 renown to go from E to D, or 2000 to go from E to C. Or maybe you do faculty training once or twice to get to E+ and then spend 1500 to get to C. You could not however spend renown to get to C+ or higher. This applies to all recruited characters, not just the protagonist.

You can also spend 500 renown for each rank of Professor Level.

(You get a pretty big renown boost for finishing the game though - I think they bumped it to 10k with the latest patch?)

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but you'll need to spend 500 renown per level. So say you get to Heavy Armor C in this run. In NG+, it would cost 1000 renown to go from E to D, or 2000 to go from E to C. Or maybe you do faculty training once or twice to get to E+ and then spend 1500 to get to C. You could not however spend renown to get to C+ or higher. This applies to all recruited characters, not just the protagonist.

You can also spend 500 renown for each rank of Professor Level.

(You get a pretty big renown boost for finishing the game though - I think they bumped it to 10k with the latest patch?)
Ah thank you. Spending renown to level up protag skills is an NG+ thing? Right now I only spend it on the statues, unless I've been doing it wrong. 😅

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Ah thank you. Spending renown to level up protag skills is an NG+ thing? Right now I only spend it on the statues, unless I've been doing it wrong. 😅

Yeah I think the statues are the only thing to spend Renown on in your first run. I strongly recommend getting all the "skill EXP +1/2" and "class EXP +1" bonuses, since those apply for when a skill/class gains EXP in battle and not just during instructing, which makes mastering weapons/classes way faster. Don't bother with the stat cap boosts, and it's up to you if you want the second-tier EXP boosts (they'll make Hard even easier, but they might come in handy on Maddening with its heavily nerfed EXP gain.)