• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
personally i think the reason that female characters can't be war masters is because Edelgard would break the game into tiny pieces if she could
See, I had this thought a while y, and while it's true she would be super busted it's not like wyvern lord Edelgard isn't already comically OP.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
oh well if you paid attention to the stuff that edelgard says over the next few chapters you probably would've figured it out anyway lol
Ok good that relieves me some. I thought it was gonna be one of those big outta nowhere reveals lol. If it's something that I could piece together then that's better.

Hubert and Edelgard's whole conversation in her room was weird and him telling me that he'll defend her at all costs too when I did nothing? Now I can see why he'd be acting that weird.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
See, I had this thought a while y, and while it's true she would be super busted it's not like wyvern lord Edelgard isn't already comically OP.
she would also be one of the best in pretty much every dlc class that's been leaked

especially war monk i think despite her faith weakness i mean seriously she has the second highest strength in the game and her magic stat is in the realm of all but the strongest mages in the game she could wreck basically anyone with ease if she had a good mixed physical and magic focused class to go into, and her faith spell list is actually pretty good too

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
she would also be one of the best in pretty much every dlc class that's been leaked

especially war monk i think despite her faith weakness i mean seriously she has the second highest strength in the game and her magic stat is in the realm of all but the strongest mages in the game she could wreck basically anyone with ease if she had a good mixed physical and magic focused class to go into, and her faith spell list is actually pretty good too
Yeah, but,
thr new magic cavalry class has Black AND Dark tomefaire, so while she'd have to use a sword when she's not Raging, she'd finally get access to a MAG class thst boosts all her native spells!

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but,
thr new magic cavalry class has Black AND Dark tomefaire, so while she'd have to use a sword when she's not Raging, she'd finally get access to a MAG class thst boosts all her native spells!
it's actually range+ 1 on black and dark mag, and i guess it would be good for her too because it would be an easier path to mortal savant, not to keep her there but to get the mastery since she would actually really appreciate warding blow especially against enemies like Rhea's golems and Rhea herself and since lightning axe scales off res

Whiskeyjack

Oct 27, 2017
Is surround audio bugged or even supported in this game ? I don't hear voices during cinematics.

The surround sound test on the switch is successful, yet I can't get it to work for this game.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Finally finished the campaign with my first house (Blue Lions) and ended up watching the other endings on youtube.
I'm quite disappointed that...
It's clear that the Black Eagles were meant to be the main campaing, the information you get throughout the story and the ending are not equivalent to what you get with the other two houses.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finally finished the campaign with my first house (Blue Lions) and ended up watching the other endings on youtube.
I'm quite disappointed that...
It's clear that the Black Eagles were meant to be the main campaing, the information you get throughout the story and the ending are not equivalent to what you get with the other two houses.

I don't really agree with that. None of the routes are perfect but

Azure Moon feels the most complete and standalone as it's very focused on Dimitri's character arc. Silver Snow and Verdant Wind have a lot of shared story beats and cutscenes, and their final bosses feel a bit out-of-nowhere. Crimson Flower is more unique but it feels rushed in some places, is significantly shorter than all the other routes and leaves TWSITD as a weird loose end. Azure Moon does this too but it works a bit better in a first playthrough since you never actually learn about them.

And I know it sounds like I'm about to say "You need to play them all to get the full story". While that's true, some routes stand better on their own than others and I think Azure Moon does that the best, at the cost of being somewhat more disconnected from the world at large.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really agree with that. None of the routes are perfect but

Azure Moon feels the most complete and standalone as it's very focused on Dimitri's character arc. Silver Snow and Verdant Wind have a lot of shared story beats and cutscenes, and their final bosses feel a bit out-of-nowhere. Crimson Flower is more unique but it feels rushed in some places, is significantly shorter than all the other routes and leaves TWSITD as a weird loose end. Azure Moon does this too but it works a bit better in a first playthrough since you never actually learn about them.

And I know it sounds like I'm about to say "You need to play them all to get the full story". While that's true, some routes stand better on their own than others and I think Azure Moon does that the best, at the cost of being somewhat more disconnected from the world at large.
While I agree that AM is the most self-contained story, it's at the cost of learning jack shit about the world.

So yeah the story is consistent (with writing issues, but consistent) but that's because you learn nothing about the situation outside of Dimitri's little troubles in Big Fodlan.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
While I agree that AM is the most self-contained story, it's at the cost of learning jack shit about the world.

So yeah the story is consistent (with writing issues, but consistent) but that's because you learn nothing about the situation outside of Dimitri's little troubles in Big Fodlan.

True enough, none of the routes give you all the lore in any case. I'm admittedly a bit biased since I've grown to enjoy character drama more than lore-heavy worldwide stories so I'm a bit more favourable towards Azure Moon than others might be.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
True enough, none of the routes give you all the lore in any case. I'm admittedly a bit biased since I've grown to enjoy character drama more than lore-heavy worldwide stories so I'm a bit more favourable towards Azure Moon than others might be.
The thing is all routes have their flaws.

AM is nicely character-focused but lacks any insight about the world whatsoever.

CF is a very cool story but doesn't explain A LOT of stuff (needed to properly appreciate said story).

VW learns you the most info and has a cool lord but lacks any kind of focus and fells way, way too detached.

And SS is kind of a middle ground between those three, lacking in personality overall despite some cool themes.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is all routes have their flaws.

AM is nicely character-focused but lacks any insight about the world whatsoever.

CF is a very cool story but doesn't explain A LOT of stuff (needed to properly appreciate said story).

VW learns you the most info and has a cool lord but lacks any kind of focus and fells way, way too detached.

And SS is kind of a middle ground between those three, lacking in personality overall despite some cool themes.
Seteth is cool as a second and all, but the fact that you can have him in two of the other routes unlike the other 'lords' kind of dampens him on Silver Snow imo

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Seteth is cool as a second and all, but the fact that you can have him in two of the other routes unlike the other 'lords' kind of dampens him on Silver Snow imo

I don't care how they would've had to overhaul the story, but to justify a fourth route's existence, the Lord should have been Rhea. Or just cut Silver Snow entirely and give the other routes more care, since Byleth's origin is one mystery that deserves explanation on all routes.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I picked the game back up after a bit of an absence. I don't think I'm extremely close to the end, per se, but I'm probably halfway between the skip and end of game.

Is there anything that I would miss out on if I just auto-instructed the rest of my students? I will probably do some auxiliary battles to keep my team's level high, but I'm getting a little bored with all the academy stuff.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I picked the game back up after a bit of an absence. I don't think I'm extremely close to the end, per se, but I'm probably halfway between the skip and end of game.

Is there anything that I would miss out on if I just auto-instructed the rest of my students? I will probably do some auxiliary battles to keep my team's level high, but I'm getting a little bored with all the academy stuff.
It's mostly optimization stuff. Don't sweat it if you don't struggle with the battles.

XackyB

Jan 26, 2019
Finally gave in and picked this up last night. I like FE games but not enough to ever see one through to the end. Hopefully the relationships stuff keeps me interested.

Seteth is the only one of the church characters that I like/enjoy most of the others are just either there or worse.

I don't care how they would've had to overhaul the story, but to justify a fourth route's existence, the Lord should have been Rhea. Or just cut Silver Snow entirely and give the other routes more care, since Byleth's origin is one mystery that deserves explanation on all routes.

Ehhh you can sorta piece it together so I don't think it really needs an explanation in all routes what needs to be expanded is the Dubsteppers

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to introduce S rank weapons and battalions in the DLC and for them to be completely busted

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Besides for lost items with Hubert, whats the weirdest lost item for a character?

Personally I would be giving Gilbert some side eye for having something creepy like a noseless puppet
The repentant confessional letter had me running all over the monastery trying to find who was the little sinner. I was very surprised at the time to find it was Marianne.

There is also the one item, I think it was a remedial textbook or something, that was marked as an item "for someone bad at magic", which must have been kind of insulting when I ran up to every student and asked if this is their Magic for Dumb Dumbs book?

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
i find it kind of hilarious how obvious it is who the chloroform rag belongs to

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
My Silver Snow playthrough I was stuck with Edelgard's Eastern Porcelain the whole game. This led me to head canon Byleth just trying to give Edelgard her teapot back and her stubbornly ignoring them.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
My Silver Snow playthrough I was stuck with Edelgard's Eastern Porcelain the whole game. This led me to head canon Byleth just trying to give Edelgard her teapot back and her stubbornly ignoring them.
instead of killing edelgard byleth hosts a tea party and they talk everything over

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Alright...so I made it to the chapter with "the big choice" and mind you I'm on Black Eagle...

So I chose to protect Edelgard and after that it's revealed that Rhea is some big huge monster and now we're against them. Just a question, is Rhea's character different in the other routes? As in does she always become that in every route or is that just unique to this one given the game has to position us correctly? I'm sure that no matter where my character goes his side is always the right side but I'm wondering how diverse they made the story for each route.

Last edited:

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
Alright...so I made it to the chapter with "the big choice" and mind you I'm on Black Eagle...

So I chose to protect Edelgard and after that it's revealed that Rhea is some big huge monster and now we're against them. Just a question, is Rhea's character different in the other routes? As in does she always become that in every route or is that just unique to this one given the game has to position us correctly? I'm sure that no matter where my character guy his side is always the right side but I'm wondering how diverse they made the story for each route.
She's able to turn into that in all routes, but it's treated much differently in the others. There's no case of "something is arbitrarily much different because of the route you chose", there's always a reason.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
She's able to turn into that in all routes, but it's treated much differently in the others. There's no case of "something is arbitrarily much different because of the route you chose", there's always a reason.
Ok good, that's better than I had hoped. So in a way it's one big story from 3 different perspective with some slight changes rather than each story being radically different.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Switch Lite on Black Friday and I've been thinking about picking this game up. Is it as bad on the Lite as people say? I've heard text is nearly impossible to read.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Ok good, that's better than I had hoped. So in a way it's one big story from 3 different perspective with some slight changes rather than each story being radically different.
the route you're on is actually the most different of any of them

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
the route you're on is actually the most different of any of them
I'm guessing that in all of the other routes it's Team Edelgard vs The World and they're positioned as the bad guys but with this one we're the good guys. This is my first FE game so I don't know how any of this works but is there such a thing as a defacto true ending or will they just leave it open ended?

Either way I'm glad with my choice. The way they set Rhea up throughout the game was a little bit weird to me but at the same time Edelgard didn't explain anything about what's going on yet.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that in all of the other routes it's Team Edelgard vs The World and they're positioned as the bad guys but with this one we're the good guys. This is my first FE game so I don't know how any of this works but is there such a thing as a defacto true ending or will they just leave it open ended?

Either way I'm glad with my choice. The way they set Rhea up throughout the game was a little bit weird to me but at the same time Edelgard didn't explain anything about what's going on yet.
yeah the empire is the enemy in every other route, there's not really a definitive route either it depends on the individual which they think is best which is a good thing honestly, though the church route(the one you get when you don't side with Edelgard) seems to be the least popular

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the empire is the enemy in every other route, there's not really a definitive route either it depends on the individual which they think is best which is a good thing honestly, though the church route(the one you get when you don't side with Edelgard) seems to be the least popular
That's pretty dope. This game's got more replay value than I thought. I'll probably try the other routes out next year after I get done with my first playthrough just to not exhaust the game. I'm sure it'll be years before another FE.

Nov 3, 2017
Currently on chapter 10. Should I be going with silver weapons for my melee fighters broadly speaking outside of relics?
Is the increase in crit chance worth it for Killer weapons, same with the swords that let you attack 2x?

Playing on hard and nothing has been too tough yet but feels like there are a lot of tools I'm not taking advantage of.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Currently on chapter 10. Should I be going with silver weapons for my melee fighters broadly speaking outside of relics?
Is the increase in crit chance worth it for Killer weapons, same with the swords that let you attack 2x?

Playing on hard and nothing has been too tough yet but feels like there are a lot of tools I'm not taking advantage of.
depends, if your character can double with a lighter weapon and not a silver weapon it will probably be worth it to use the lighter weapon, but if they can't either way then it's better to use a combat art with a silver weapon, and don't forget that a lot of combat arts increase crit chance so combining those with killer weapons is often useful as well

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I probably recruited too many characters in the first half of the game (Alliance/Verdant route). Should I give up on anyone who's underleveled or otherwise weak post-timeskip?

FWIW, Lysithea, Hilda, Raphael, Byleth, and Dancer Marianne are my MVPs, with Claude, Dorothea, and Lorenz in the second tier. Ignitz, Flayn, Manuela, and Hanneman are probably the worst of my 24 characters.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I probably recruited too many characters in the first half of the game (Alliance/Verdant route). Should I give up on anyone who's underleveled or otherwise weak post-timeskip?

FWIW, Lysithea, Hilda, Raphael, Byleth, and Dancer Marianne are my MVPs, with Claude, Dorothea, and Lorenz in the second tier. Ignitz, Flayn, Manuela, and Hanneman are probably the worst of my 24 characters.
Claude is probably the best character in the whole game, tbh. Archer, flying mount, Pass. It's just stupid.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm right around the end and my playtime is already at a ridiculous 80 hours (GD). I'm interested in playing on another route after a short break but I'm wondering how I can drastically reduce my playtime. Playing with animations on doesn't help but I only just started skipping exploration days and rushing for missions with seminars and whatnot.

How the heck are people finishing the game in 40 hours?

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Got this game for Christmas, and while I enjoy it, damn is the text fucking tiny and the music really repetitive. I mean, it feels like it's on a one or two minute loop or something. And considering how long you stay in the monastery and in battle, it kinda sucks always hearing the same thing. They really should have made them into 5+ minutes long music.

There's also a lot more things to do outside battle than I remember from the last Fire Emblem games I played back on the Gamecube.

XackyB

Jan 26, 2019
Got this game for Christmas, and while I enjoy it, damn is the text fucking tiny and the music really repetitive. I mean, it feels like it's on a one or two minute loop or something. And considering how long you stay in the monastery and in battle, it kinda sucks always hearing the same thing. They really should have made them into 5+ minutes long music.

I also got the game recently and I agree that the music is very repetitive. Hopefully there's some more variety as the game progresses.

XackyB

Jan 26, 2019
I've fought a few battles now and noticed there's no weapons triangle. Is it introduced later or is it just not a part of this game?

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
I've fought a few battles now and noticed there's no weapons triangle. Is it introduced later or is it just not a part of this game?
It's mostly not in the game.

The exception is the "[weapon]breaker" skills, that you learn at B rank; for example, you learn Axebreaker at B Swords, which gives you +20 hit/avoid when using a sword against axes (as long as you have the skill equipped). This isn't relevant until later in the game of course.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

There are equipable skills for the weapon triangle which are really useful against lategame dodge tanks,

Besides that the Prowess Skills add Hit, Avoid and Critical evade when using a specific weapon type. Trying to use a weapon you dont have the prowess for against someone with their respective prowess skills has a similar effect in combat.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Over 200 hours put into this game and I just discovered that the monastery changes the time of day if you explore it long enough lol. At least it changes to sunset. Don't know if it goes beyond that.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The official Fire Emblem twitter put out a New Year message thanking players for always playing Fire Emblem, and wishing everyone a happy 2020. Accompanied by art that makes me all the more sad we never got to see Garreg Mach blanketed in snow.

XackyB

Jan 26, 2019
There are equipable skills for the weapon triangle which are really useful against lategame dodge tanks,

Besides that the Prowess Skills add Hit, Avoid and Critical evade when using a specific weapon type. Trying to use a weapon you dont have the prowess for against someone with their respective prowess skills has a similar effect in combat.

Interesting, I think I prefer this to the restrictions of the traditional triangle. I'm loving the abundance of systems in this game.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I also got the game recently and I agree that the music is very repetitive. Hopefully there's some more variety as the game progresses.
Eh, not really. It's a fairly average soundtrack that, while fitting for its setting, doesn't have any outstanding tunes that i'll ever find myself coming back and listening to on their own.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Setting that auxiliary battle music on Eternal Bond from RD is like a Tellius nostalgia blast. I keep that on all the time.

Yeah, TH doesn't have too great of a soundtrack, but there's some standouts here and there. Mostly final battle stuff.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is it worth doing all((I have like 5 of them now)) paralogue missions that you come across? Even those that you outlevel greatly? I guess I could still do them for the story,