• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there even a point in doing anything in the Monastery after the time jump on Normal difficulty? Prior to this I was pretty into teaching my students strategically and enjoying taking advantage of the Monastery but now a few story missions into the time skip and a bulk of my squad are so OP it feels like a waste of time to micro manage now as opposed to just trucking right to the next main mission.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Is there even a point in doing anything in the Monastery after the time jump on Normal difficulty? Prior to this I was pretty into teaching my students strategically and enjoying taking advantage of the Monastery but now a few story missions into the time skip and a bulk of my squad are so OP it feels like a waste of time to micro manage now as opposed to just trucking right to the next main mission.

There's a difficulty bump in the final main story missions but no not really.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
So how does the DLC work with your main game if it's a seperate save file? I wanted to start a GD run tonight but I'm not sure if I should wait until playing the DLC.
My guess is the main story file will do a check for progress on your Cindered shadows story file and give you access to stuff from that based on your progress

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
So how does the DLC work with your main game if it's a seperate save file? I wanted to start a GD run tonight but I'm not sure if I should wait until playing the DLC.

I think it was mentioned somewhere that the DLC campain is it's own thing you select from the main menu. Once you beat it you can recruit the students for the main campaign. The new classes will then become available too.

Not sure about this though

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man the end of chapter 10 was exciting. I have green hair now! Also going to miss my chats with Sothis. Thought I would just get through Chapter 10 this weekend but started playing through 11 last night on Black Eagles route and saw Edelgard become the new Emperor and really excited to see what happens at the end of the chapter. Games definitely got me hooked at the moment.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I hope we get a good antagonist for Cindered Shadows. I'm a bit worried it might end up like an anime movie, where some nobody shows up as the villain, gets beat down and then is never mentioned again because the movie is nestled between arc X and arc Y of the series.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Reading here about people who prefer the Church Route to Golden Deer is making me second guess my decision to do a NG+ Golden Deer playthrough instead of loading up my save pre church route

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The Fort Mercius chapter in VW really has no objection to stride+dancing Lysithea right up to the Death Knight in a single turn, huh?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope we get a good antagonist for Cindered Shadows. I'm a bit worried it might end up like an anime movie, where some nobody shows up as the villain, gets beat down and then is never mentioned again because the movie is nestled between arc X and arc Y of the series.
The real antagonist was the friends we made along the way.

Also whoever decided to make certain classes gender exclusive.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Back before release, everyone loved Claude, and people were obsessed with if you could date him as MByleth. Also upside down memes.
A bit after release, I recall seeing Punished Dimitri everywhere. So much fan art. Really popular with straight girls from what I saw.
Now, most of the discussion revolves around Edelgard. And there is a shitton of Edelgard/FByleth art.
Like, so much of it. God damn everywhere. Edelgard/FByleth shippers have no fucking chill.

I still like Claude the most.
It honestly makes me unhappy that Edelgard has gone on to be the most popular given she's an barely-sane war monger.

Atish

Nov 1, 2017
Hey I just started playing the game on normal/casual (chapter 2). Should I worry about routes?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Reading here about people who prefer the Church Route to Golden Deer is making me second guess my decision to do a NG+ Golden Deer playthrough instead of loading up my save pre church route
Who do you like more: Claude or Flayn/Seteth?
If the former then do Golden Deer, if the latter then do Silver Snow

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey I just started playing the game on normal/casual (chapter 2). Should I worry about routes?

Not really. My honest answer would be play Claude or Dimitri's routes first, then Edelgard, then the other one you didn't, but you can really do them in any order to get different perspectives on the story.

Nov 3, 2017
The arrows represent if they like the meal in question, which affects how many support points you gain by eating with them. While it is possible to recruit all students except house leaders and their retainers, don't expect to be able to do so on your first play-through. That's only realistic in New Game +. Target a few you know you want and aim for them, either by raising your stats to meet their interests, or getting their support level up to B rank with gifts/tea time/meals/asking them to accompany missions and making them your adjunct. After they hit B, they will eventually ask to join your class once time passes on the calendar.
[/QUOT]
Thanks man. I'm having a blast with this game. Pure nostalgia, i'm having a difficult time putting my switch lite down.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
The arrows represent if they like the meal in question, which affects how many support points you gain by eating with them. While it is possible to recruit all students except house leaders and their retainers, don't expect to be able to do so on your first play-through. That's only realistic in New Game +. Target a few you know you want and aim for them, either by raising your stats to meet their interests, or getting their support level up to B rank with gifts/tea time/meals/asking them to accompany missions and making them your adjunct. After they hit B, they will eventually ask to join your class once time passes on the calendar.
Well, you can recruit all of them in one playthrough. That's what I did. I just gifted them a bunch of stuff.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you can recruit all of them in one playthrough. That's what I did. I just gifted them a bunch of stuff.
planting for flowers is an easy way to get a lot of support, also make sure to know what kind of flower/gift from merchants that each student likes, and make sure to return lost items as well

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
80 hours in and I've just made it to Part Two on my first playthrough, GD Maddening run. This game is hard as fucc if you play Maddening Classic for your first playthrough but I'm loving it. The last two missions have been absolute insanity and I seriously thought I'd hit a wall I couldn't overcome before eventually managing to cheese one and just barely rout the other.

Oh dope

perfect timing

>:(

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty early in the game but I have a question on the events calendar. When I click on a day it might list something like this:

1st: seminar
2nd: share a meal
3rd: rest

then there are also percentages in the overview view saying something like seminar 95% under the global something column.
Do these mean anything?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still pretty early in the game but I have a question on the events calendar. When I click on a day it might list something like this:

1st: seminar
2nd: share a meal
3rd: rest

then there are also percentages in the overview view saying something like seminar 95% under the global something column.
Do these mean anything?
Online choices. Basically how players "voted" by, well, playing the game.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
After pre purchasing the season pass for the side story tomorrow I have to say that the DLC missions are kinda BS. They give so much more than the other auxiliary missions in terms of loot and experience, they kinda disrupt the balance of the game. Playing through maddening (no NG+) and they basically break the game. Instead of my dudes being several levels behind the enemies (as they should be on maddening) most of them are barely behind or on par with the enemies and due to superior planning they just destroy them. Feels less challenging than hard/classic right now, especially since I know the systems pretty well now. I can't imagine how the abyss is going to exacerbate that gap.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
From ryokutya2089, details from this week's Famitsu issue:

About the DLC:
  • Cindered Shadows is fairly difficult.
  • The developers guess it'll take about 8-10 hours to clear on Normal; since it's trickier than the main game, you can't blast through it as easily.
  • You'll unlock more and more stuff in the main game as you proceed through CS.
Free updates planned:
  • A free update will let you have tea time with Rhea.
  • Byleth will be able to wear dancer clothes, but not become a dancer themselves.
  • You'll be able to change costumes from the free day menu, as well as change everyone's costumes at once.
Other tidbits:
  • Reiterating that no golden route is planned, and they were actively against it since it would become the "right path" in fan's minds. (Well, one of the interviewees liked the idea, but it really was never planned. Too much like Fates!)
  • Maddening was really hard for them to balance, so they were happy with the release timing of it - letting people dig in once they'd familiarized themselves with the game.
  • They expect Intelligent Systems to put out a full OST at some point.

Last edited:

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
From ryokutya2089, details from this week's Famitsu issue:

About the DLC:
  • Cindered Shadows is fairly difficult.
  • The developers guess it'll take about 8-10 hours to clear on Normal; since it's trickier than the main game, you can't blast through it as easily.
  • You'll unlock more and more stuff in the main game as you proceed through CS.
Free updates planned:
  • A free update will let you have tea time with Rhea.
  • Byleth will be able to wear dancer clothes, but not become a dancer themselves.
  • You'll be able to change costumes from the free day menu, as well as change everyone's costumes at once.
Other tidbits:
  • Reiterating that no golden route is planned, and they were actively against it since it would become the "right path" in fan's minds. (Well, one of the interviewees liked the idea, but it really was never planned. Too much like Fates!)
  • Maddening was really hard for them to balance, so they were happy with the release timing of it - letting people dig in once they'd familiarized themselves with the game.
  • They expect Intelligent Systems to put out a full OST at some point.
Finally, I can have tea time with Rhea. Very pleased to hear this. A shame no mention of Jeralt (especially since Jeralt actually has unused lines for tea time.)

Byleth can wear dancer costume but cannot become the dancer... what?

While I liked Fates, I do agree that the Golden route (paywalled behind dlc no less) hurt Fates. And it can only hurt Three Houses.

Won't stop fan headcanons but w/e.

*Sees bolded underlined text*

I can't imagine how they can make it harder. Three Houses is significantly easier compared to previous FE games or even Vestaria Saga. Can't wait to blast through cindered shadows.

The ideal way would be to give enemies combat arts and gambits for everyone. Specifically Swift strikes, Hunter's volley, point blank volley, bombard combat arts for maximum chuckles.

Dunbar

Dec 9, 2017
Columbus, OH
After starting on release day and playing on and off for 6+ months, I finally finished my first run as Golden Deer. I thought I was going to make at least one more run through the game, but after starting it back up and seeing how tedious everything was going to be at the beginning, I think I'm done playing. But I'd like to see what goes on in the other routes, so I'm curious, is there anything like a lore/story explainer-type breakdown I can read or video I can find on Youtube? I'm fine with everything being spoiled at this point and I really just want to know what the differences are if you play as Edelgard or Dmitri.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Finishing up the last battle of VW before moving on to the wolves. How many attacks does Fallen Star actually let you avoid on the enemy phase? Because as I just found out, it sure isn't "all" like the move description says.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Finishing up the last battle of VW before moving on to the wolves. How many attacks does Fallen Star actually let you avoid on the enemy phase? Because as I just found out, it sure isn't "all" like the move description says.

I believe it's all for one round of combat. So if you were going to get doubled, both would miss, but then the next enemy that attacks you hits normally.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Just dropped down from Maddening to Hard on my Crimson Flower.

Chapter 14 is bullshit
Endless reinforcements from four separate places on the map, including Wyverns like every single round. Fuck this shit, I don't even know if I can beat it on Hard.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Bought this on sale. I really shouldn't have considering my backlog... but fuck it.

I'm already torn on what house to pick after talking to all of them. Mainly because I fully went in wanting to pick Claude, but Blue Lions seems to have the best student line-up with the best designs and voices. Damn. I think Golden Deer may have the worst overall designs for me, ugh. Well, Black Eagles aren't much better.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Someone please motivate me to keep trying the last Golden Deer level...

Just wanted to chime in and say that the last boss in the Golden Deer run is absolute bullshit. I've cleared the entire level 4 times easily, and then got to Nemesis only to witness my entire team getting wiped and unable to get the kill. Feels like a really shitty/unnecessary difficulty spike. I feel like I need to keep trying and just hope for a crit and then finish him off with a Luna, but I'm so damn sick and tired of clearing the level over and over

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone please motivate me to keep trying the last Golden Deer level...

Just wanted to chime in and say that the last boss in the Golden Deer run is absolute bullshit. I've cleared the entire level 4 times easily, and then got to Nemesis only to witness my entire team getting wiped and unable to get the kill. Feels like a really shitty/unnecessary difficulty spike. I feel like I need to keep trying and just hope for a crit and then finish him off with a Luna, but I'm so damn sick and tired of clearing the level over and over

PLEASE HELP!
It's easier to lure him off of his square before going all in on him with gambits and your hard hitters. Just make sure whoever lures him can take the hit.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just finished Black Eagles Chapter 11. Not sure if I made the "right" choice at the end of it, but really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out now.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's easier to lure him off of his square before going all in on him with gambits and your hard hitters. Just make sure whoever lures him can take the hit.

I finally beat him after 5 tries or so. Got lucky with a crit from Byleth and then Lys finished him off. Very annoying last level, but I'm happy to finish my first play through.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this on sale. I really shouldn't have considering my backlog... but fuck it.

I'm already torn on what house to pick after talking to all of them. Mainly because I fully went in wanting to pick Claude, but Blue Lions seems to have the best student line-up with the best designs and voices. Damn. I think Golden Deer may have the worst overall designs for me, ugh. Well, Black Eagles aren't much better.
Golden Deer > Blue Lions > Black Eagles in terms of talent/overall balance. I thought blue lions was bland in terms of style but w/e.

I am quickly reminded just how bad Black Eagles are vs the other two houses.
Finally started on a maddening run without NG+ and I am forced to use Byleth as my main tank right from the getgo. The difficulty spike without NG+ is hella real but very fun.

On that note, has anyone seen the rewards for beating Cindered Shadows? It's making my maddening no NG+ run much more manageable with
chalice of beginning granting it's wielder distant counter. Those fucking archers now are easy pickings with a training sword or a steel sword to feed Ferdinand and friends with much needed exp.

Auxiliary battles with nothing but thieves who can solo everyone easily but Byleth definitely got me on edge.

Abyss is hella funny on the main story. Much more lively.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started up a Maddening Black Eagles run so I can check out all the Ashen Wolves and other DLC characters!

And gosh, the Eagles have a wayyyy easier time with the first mock battle, I cleared it in one attempt instead of the five or six tries it took me with the Blue Lions. Bernie's personal skill giving you immediate access to good 3-range sniping damage is extremely handy.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heh, 60 hours in and I finally got to Part 2. The chapter 12 battle felt really intense in a good way on the Crimson Flower Route. Edelgard's been one of the heavy hitters in my rotation up to this point, and got thrown for a bit of a loop when Catherine took her down with 2 hits. Thank god for Divine Pulse so I could reposition my units in a way that prevented that from happening a second time. I do wish I got to bring in more than 10 main units into the battle though, as the support characters provided were absolutely useless and literally missed every single attack they attempted.

Initially was thinking I'd take a decent break from the game after hitting part 2 (in a weird way it helps me better appreciate the passage of time when games do time skips like this) but maybe I'll just keep going as I'm very curious to see how everything plays. Plus I thought it was interesting that it seems Byleth was just 'sleeping' this whole time, so from the perspective of the protagonist, it seems it's not really meant to feel like all that time has passed.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
The abyss library is definitely giving me food for thought in part 2.

For those who seen that particular book know exactly which one I'm talking about.

A certain scene in part one has a whole new context because of it.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Heh, 60 hours in and I finally got to Part 2. The chapter 12 battle felt really intense in a good way on the Crimson Flower Route. Edelgard's been one of the heavy hitters in my rotation up to this point, and got thrown for a bit of a loop when Catherine took her down with 2 hits. Thank god for Divine Pulse so I could reposition my units in a way that prevented that from happening a second time. I do wish I got to bring in more than 10 main units into the battle though, as the support characters provided were absolutely useless and literally missed every single attack they attempted.

Initially was thinking I'd take a decent break from the game after hitting part 2 (in a weird way it helps me better appreciate the passage of time when games do time skips like this) but maybe I'll just keep going as I'm very curious to see how everything plays. Plus I thought it was interesting that it seems Byleth was just 'sleeping' this whole time, so from the perspective of the protagonist, it seems it's not really meant to feel like all that time has passed.
I hope you didn't make Flayn your dancer...

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any other characters get new supports in the main game outside of Jertiza? (and whatever characters the Ashen Wolves characters have supports with)