• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What does Charm do again? And agree on Authority. All units who finished with their Classes or won't go Master Class are getting Authority training. So far, I average a C about three chapters deep in Part 2.
Charm specifically affects Battalion parameters. They could easily expand on it to affect other aspects.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I like how Dorothea became one of my favourite post-timeskip designs because she ditched the dumb hat, and then Mercedes, who was one of my favourite pre-skip designs due to her fabulous hair, decided to chop it all off and adopt even more egregious headgear. The nun getup is consistent with her character but the design/style does absolutely nothing for her.

Byleth gets to pick an S rank, but everyone else appears to be vaguely determined by whoever is at the top of the "Close Allies" on the Status Notes page.
The way to play matchmaker is to only have A support between the people you want to ship/have a friendly ending together, say you have Ashe at a possible A with both Mercedes and Marianne but you want him to end up with Marianne, you only do his A with Marianne and stop at B with Mercedes to stop the possibility of him ending up with Mercedes

Since it looks like you have already done a lot of As, iirc now it'll depend on who has the most support points with someone. Check your Roster and there's a section about Closest Allies, the person on the top should be who they'll end up with (excluding Byleth).

Got it, thanks. It looks like most of my preferred pairings are going to end up together, so all is right with the world.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao the animation for the Stride gambit is hilarious.

Just 60 supportive ass dudes cheering you on and telling you to believe in yourself. Amazing.

Just so wholesome.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
dammit. Im playing as F!Byleth and idk who to marry

Edit. Eh.. eff it im marrying mercedes
she did come to see me in the tower earler in the game after all.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
While I'm in rambling mode, I just wanted to say how pleasantly surprised I am at the writing generally, and more specifically in terms of character supports. I had low expectations after Fates, but they managed to infuse so many of what could have been silly, frivolous skits (and to be fair, some are still just that) with interesting lore, worldbuilding, and meaningful character development, all with a great standard of voice acting to boot. The Dorothea/Ferdinand and Seteth/Flayn A scenes almost got a tear out of me, for goddess's sakes.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Seteth/Leonie skits which are just entirely about fishing but that are, like, just this great peak into Seteth's whole deal through the lens of fishing. So wholesome.

Hippo_PRIME

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished BE playthrough today. This game really got its hooks into me. It's not often I jump right into New Game+ but here I am. Leaning towards BL this time, but question about choosing routes:

I'm guessing based on the choice in the Holy Tomb, all Houses have a a church route start at that point? I'm thinking of maybe a church route (even though all their characters kinda big me)

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Finished BE playthrough today. This game really got its hooks into me. It's not often I jump right into New Game+ but here I am. Leaning towards BL this time, but question about choosing routes:

I'm guessing based on the choice in the Holy Tomb, all Houses have a a church route start at that point? I'm thinking of maybe a church route (even though all their characters kinda big me)

Not sure exactly what you mean but yes, all three default paths have you side with the church against Edelgard. But the characters are obv different between them, so not sure what you mean by "all their characters"...

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

only black Eagles has the church route, no one else. For pretty obvious story reasons

grand

Oct 25, 2017

No. Only BE splits at that point. There's 4 routes total including BE's split.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished my first playthrough! Loved every minute of it, though I do agree with those who've said that the monastery sections started to drag in the second part and needed something more. Y'all weren't kidding though when you said the Blue Lions route gives you very little information outside of Dimitri's personal history. I mean there are still so many loose plot threads.

- What happened to Patricia? Did she reunite with Edelgard after fleeing the Kingdom? Why did she marry King Lambert in the first place if she was desperate enough to kill him to return home. Was she forced to marry him and being held against her will?

- Who the fuck was the old man that stopped Byleth from saving Jeralt who seemed like an endgame boss? I assume he's actually relevant in other routes, but where did he go in Dimitri's route? Seems like a cause for concern...

- We don't even get to see Rhea after everyone has been talking about rescuing her for literally half the fucking game? Not even a brief conversation explaining what Edelgard had been doing to her for 5 years and why she hadn't just killed her? Or at least a thank you? Alrighty then lol.

I still find it hilarious how similar Edelgard is to Daenerys. The looks, the ruthless ambition, the insistence in their ability to make the world a better place and the belief that they're meant to do so... Ironically I've always been a huge Daenerys stan, but choosing Dimitri made me hate Edelgard for all her self-righteousness. I love a strong female villain though and Edelgard filled that role very well. Regardless of whether I think her actions are just, which I obviously don't at the moment, I think she's a very compelling character and it annoys me that I still basically know nothing about her history, so I'm looking forward to learning more. Clearly some shit went down after she met Dimitri as a kid and went back to the Empire. I loved the conversation Dimitri and Edelgard had before the final battle and I wish there had been more moments like that. Their relationship is so tragic.

Also... some of these endings are wrecking me. Dimitri/Dedue: "When Dimitri finally fell to illness, Dedue tended to his liege's deathbed, and then took up a post at his grave for the rest of his days. When the time came, they were buried beside each other." WHY must you make me feel things, game. ;_;

Anyway, this has easily been my favorite Fire Emblem. I feel like there aren't any weak links in the main cast. I came to love pretty much all the students and their support interactions were consistently amazing. I often feel overwhelmed by the large number of recruitable characters in Fire Emblem games, but one thing that I really liked about this game was that you get to know nearly all the playable characters right from the start and can recruit whoever you want relatively early.

Now to decide if I'm going to take a break or jump into another playthrough... I think I'm gonna go Black Eagles next. Ugh I already feel unclean, like I'm cheating on my baby blues.

Hippo_PRIME

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure exactly what you mean but yes, all three default paths have you side with the church against Edelgard. But the characters are obv different between them, so not sure what you mean by "all their characters"...
only black Eagles has the church route, no one else. For pretty obvious story reasons
No. Only BE splits at that point. There's 4 routes total including BE's split.

Thanks all, this makes a lot of sense now. The church characters didn't make a huge impression on me during my first run, so I'm thinking it's Blue Lions next for me.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to complete Ch.13 GD without 3 members of my squad. Lorenz, Ignatz, and Raphael were severely underleveled.

Hippo_PRIME

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who are "the church characters"? You mean Black Eagles? Or the teachers & flayn & cyril?

Well, based on my BE playthrough, I got the impression that some characters would be unique (if not recruited) to the Church faction.

For me, that ended up being Seteth, Flayn, Ashe, Cyril, Catherine, Gilbert, and obviously Rhea. I didn't recruit them pre-timeskip, so they all showed up specifically with the Church, not with the other two Houses.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished my first playthrough! Loved every minute of it, though I do agree with those who've said that the monastery sections started to drag in the second part and needed something more. Y'all weren't kidding though when you said the Blue Lions route gives you very little information outside of Dimitri's personal history. I mean there are still so many loose plot threads.

- What happened to Patricia? Did she reunite with Edelgard after fleeing the Kingdom? Why did she marry King Lambert in the first place if she was desperate enough to kill him to return home. Was she forced to marry him and being held against her will?

- Who the fuck was the old man that stopped Byleth from saving Jeralt who seemed like an endgame boss? I assume he's actually relevant in other routes, but where did he go in Dimitri's route? Seems like a cause for concern...

- We don't even get to see Rhea after everyone has been talking about rescuing her for literally half the fucking game? Not even a brief conversation explaining what Edelgard had been doing to her for 5 years and why she hadn't just killed her? Or at least a thank you? Alrighty then lol.

I still find it hilarious how similar Edelgard is to Daenerys. The looks, the ruthless ambition, the insistence in their ability to make the world a better place and the belief that they're meant to do so... Ironically I've always been a huge Daenerys stan, but choosing Dimitri made me hate Edelgard for all her self-righteousness. I love a strong female villain though and Edelgard filled that role very well. Regardless of whether I think her actions are just, which I obviously don't at the moment, I think she's a very compelling character and it annoys me that I still basically know nothing about her history, so I'm looking forward to learning more. Clearly some shit went down after she met Dimitri as a kid and went back to the Empire. I loved the conversation Dimitri and Edelgard had before the final battle and I wish there had been more moments like that. Their relationship is so tragic.

Also... some of these endings are wrecking me. Dimitri/Dedue: "When Dimitri finally fell to illness, Dedue tended to his liege's deathbed, and then took up a post at his grave for the rest of his days. When the time came, they were buried beside each other." WHY must you make me feel things, game. ;_;

Anyway, this has easily been my favorite Fire Emblem. I feel like there aren't any weak links in the main cast. I came to love pretty much all the students and their support interactions were consistently amazing. I often feel overwhelmed by the large number of recruitable characters in Fire Emblem games, but one thing that I really liked about this game was that you get to know nearly all the playable characters right from the start and can recruit whoever you want relatively early.

Now to decide if I'm going to take a break or jump into another playthrough... I think I'm gonna go Black Eagles next. Ugh I already feel unclean, like I'm cheating on my baby blues.
Yes. That character that stopped you from saving Jeralt is intentionally supposed to remind you of every Fire Emblem final boss ever. A main part of Three Houses is how it twists the typical Fire Emblem story depending on your part. You basically played the "diversion" path where you mostly focused on Dimitri's personal story. Every path handles the story differently and that includes the characters you may or may not meet.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Well, based on my BE playthrough, I got the impression that some characters would be unique (if not recruited) to the Church faction.

For me, that ended up being Seteth, Flayn, Ashe, Cyril, Catherine, Gilbert, and obviously Rhea. I didn't recruit them pre-timeskip, so they all showed up specifically with the Church, not with the other two Houses.
Ashe is actually anti church.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

Those are all "regularly" recruitable. Though I'm surprised you got Gilbert because I was under the impression that he was exclusive to BL. And Rhea is never recruitable. The only ones that are specifically EXCLUDED in the BE-Edelgard route are Flayn & Seteh I believe (and maybe Cyril, not sure).

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Those are all "regularly" recruitable. Though I'm surprised you got Gilbert because I was under the impression that he was exclusive to BL. And Rhea is never recruitable. The only ones that are specifically EXCLUDED in the BE-Edelgard route are Flayn & Seteh I believe (and maybe Cyril, not sure).
Cyril and Alois are unrecruitable in BE E.

Hippo_PRIME

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ashe is actually anti church.

Weird, I guess I never progressed support with him pre-timeskip enough to see that. He definitely showed up as a Church commander in one of the late missions.

Sorry, I wasn't totally clear. I didn't actually recruit any of those characters (except Flayn). I just assumed they could be recruited.

I'm guessing my next playthrough is going to be radically different haha.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. That character that stopped you from saving Jeralt is intentionally supposed to remind you of every Fire Emblem final boss ever. A main part of Three Houses is how it twists the typical Fire Emblem story depending on your part. You basically played the "diversion" path where you mostly focused on Dimitri's personal story. Every path handles the story differently and that includes the characters you may or may not meet.

I'm certainly not mad that he wasn't the final boss. I'm glad he didn't pop up at the last minute like I was expecting to undermine Edelgard's final boss status, but it still felt weird to have him just vanish from the plot like that lol.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
One of the things about combat arts that is weird is that there is that in almost every encounter the optimal strat is always to 1-hit kill, so unless your combat art will OHKO there's almost never any point to using them, except the range ones to soften up the enemy. It's not like you had AOE debuffers or anything.

It's the problem with turn-based games: the turn is the most valuable resource you have, so anything that uses up a turn and doesn't destroy an enemy's unit/turn is suboptimal.

There are a few magical weapon ones which do considerably more damage than a regular attack for certain characters.

Oh also

Recruiting additional characters sidelines them so hard in the cutscenes of the story unfortunately. I know integrating them properly would be a goddamn nightmare, but still, I basically never saw Petra or Annette again after I recruited them.

I mean, they're still around in the monastery, with unique dialogue post-skip. Some even have unique supports and most have unique paralouges you can pretty much only get via recruitment. The only thing they miss out on is the post-battle group chats, which they wouldn't be in anyways had you not recruited them.

Dorothea has been at the top of almost every online stat these few days. Good taste.

Dorothea is a jack of all classes for me and it's wonderful. I'm getting the sense her and Edelgard might statistically be the most loved characters in the game.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm certainly not mad that he wasn't the final boss. I'm glad he didn't pop up at the last minute like I was expecting to undermine Edelgard's final boss status, but it still felt weird to have him just vanish from the plot like that lol.
He's actually in the BL route multiple times, you just have no idea without playing the other routes. The story structure of this game is amazing in how it constructs the routes.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I know Gremory isn't a good class, but I think it's the best for Lysithea. Dark and White Magic x2 uses and she gets more movement.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they're still around in the monastery, with unique dialogue post-skip. Some even have unique supports and most have unique paralouges you can pretty much only get via recruitment. The only thing they miss out on is the post-battle group chats, which they wouldn't be in anyways had you not recruited them.

i think it probably just comes down to the fact i never see them since i don't use them in battle (mercey usually filled my 10th slot), so I just come back to the monastary and it's like, cool guys, good to see you, glad you're still alive and I didn't have to get Claude to put an arrow right through your head like he did everyone else...

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I know Gremory isn't a good class, but I think it's the best for Lysithea. Dark and White Magic x2 uses and she gets more movement.

It's good for her. Warlock is what's actually useless to her.
(Bishop is also good for her until you unlock Gremory - same growth rates as Warlock except it comes with 10% Luck and 5% charm with the added bonus of abilities she can actually make use of)

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo god damnit put your songs up on youtube or some shit at least i just want to listen to the battle music

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I swear to god, this game knows who I'm rooting for and holds them back. Petra and Hilda—the two characters I'm the most excited about, and setting up the most—are at 106 stat points at level 19. Only Raphael is lower at 101, everyone else is around 115-130

cmon game. lemme have this

time to start feeding them from the garden i guess

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
this has been said a hundred times, but honestly because of how magic in this game works, the distinction between black and dark magic seems really pointless. if it were tome-based, or even "use an item to teach a character a spell"-based, it would maybe make sense, but as it is it seems to just exist to deliberately screw lysithea and hubert over.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
i think it probably just comes down to the fact i never see them since i don't use them in battle (mercey usually filled my 10th slot), so I just come back to the monastary and it's like, cool guys, good to see you, glad you're still alive and I didn't have to get Claude to put an arrow right through your head like he did everyone else...

See, I kept sacrificing slots from my original team to make room for new recruits. Caspar lasted like a month or two, then Ferdinand was dropped, then Hubert, then Lindhart, and then I added Mercedes, Ingrid, Lysithea, and Marianne. And then I kept recruiting and made a b-team for auxiliary battles so my main squad doesn't get over levelled.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I swear to god, this game knows who I'm rooting for and holds them back. Petra and Hilda—the two characters I'm the most excited about, and setting up the most—are at 106 stat points at level 19. Only Raphael is lower at 101, everyone else is around 115-130

cmon game. lemme have this

time to start feeding them from the garden i guess
Does Hilda have defense at least? And Petra speed/Dex?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
this has been said a hundred times, but honestly because of how magic in this game works, the distinction between black and dark magic seems really pointless. if it were tome-based, or even "use an item to teach a character a spell"-based, it would maybe make sense, but as it is it seems to just exist to deliberately screw lysithea and hubert over.

Honestly I feel like the systems could use some work. Still not there yet

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
omg Lys is a god. She managed to hit Dimitri for 80% of his hp and was able to tank his counter attack and live with 1hp. Wyvern Lord Lys is the best