• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
We don't have any info on when they're going to patch in a higher difficulty, do we? (Just that it will happen at some point)

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I made Ignatz into an assassin and he looks like such a goofy motherfucker lol. I wish class changes also affected the head because he just looks like a kid cosplaying at an event.

I mean Dorotheas hat had to die during her class changes. Why couldnt Ignatz get a facelift as well?

Kira.FA37

Jan 11, 2018
Hey there, got the game at release and picked the Golden Deer as my first route. It took a while but finally at 40 hours into it I have reached the timeskip! Only thing I regret so far is not having picked hard as my difficulty as I'm way overleved even with rotating in all my low level units for each fight,
my Byleth is level 30 already, Lysithea is a walking nuke and Hilda is a lazy murder machine. I was able to recruit everybody except Ferdinand, only got his support to B in the last month, curse his Hvy Armor requirements...
Does the difficlty spike up somewhat significantly after the timeskip?

Really digging the world building, it makes everything feel alive and the characters are pretty well fleshed out, which makes some of the more sloppy part stand out like
at the the end of the battle of Garrog Mach you fall of the cliff and go to sleep for 5 years? Does Sothis still appear much post-timeskip? I miss her ever since we merged...

Can't wait to start NG+ and go BE-E.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
I need some advise for Ch.18 To the end of a Dream (Black Eagles route/hard) because I feel like screaming in to a pillow.

My safest tactic is to take the left lane past Annette if I want nobody to die before I actually get to the The immaculate One, I do fine up until I get to the steps to the left of her, she smokes my characters the moment I am 4 squares away from her and I can only get one gambit in on with either Byleth or Edelgard because one of them is getting insta smoked, if it isn't for her it's from the army of pegasus knights swarming me.

Second is her Dragon-scale wall barrier, the moment I finally destroy her armor, it's just for one turn because she regains her armor, and everyone's pretty much already dead at that point.

What's the best way to get to her and to actually get break her armor because the gambits don't seem to work mostly and she shoots lasers at me before I can physically harm her.

I've been at this battle for like 3 days now.

What I did was

Go up the middle right path. I ignored both of the side paths. Pretty much everything in them will stay exactly where they are. After the initial four enemies in the middle, I used Byleth to bait out the four falcon knights in the middle. You can trigger the left and right pairs independently from one another. Once the falcon knights are down, the golem is a piece of cake and so is Gilbert. Just smack him with some magic as his resistance is so pathetically small.

Once Gilbert is down the reinforcements come in. The three pegasi from the right are easy to bait into range. Just move everyone back out of range and they'll all fly over the wall and sit there waiting for you to nail them to the ground. Same thing with the 4 from the south. If you have any archers it should be easy to take them in groups of 2.

At the same time, Annette will cross the top of the map towards you and two knights will run south towards you. You'll have lots of time to clear up the reinforcements before either the knights or Annette reach you. If you're fast enough the knights will get stuck running back on forth on the first set of steps. If not just kill them. Anyone with a high strength physical attack should be able to OHKO Annette. My Caspar could easily do it with a Hand Axe as could my Edelgard. Archers with Curved Shot or Deadeye should be able to damage her from out of range if you don't have anyone that can safely OHKO her.

I can see the bolting mage being a pain depending on your units. It kept targetting Caspar for me which was perfect as Caspar could heal himself up with Healing Focus. I used Bernadette to snip the mage. As a bow knight she has 7 square range with the Deadeye combat art. Otherwise a flying unit would be the easiest method to take care of him. Smack him, then Canto back out of range.

Cyril you can bait out by having someone sitting on the left most heal pad in the top area right by the houses. It'll trigger the knights by Ashe to come after you as well, but they take at least one turn to get there. If Cyril can't one turn kill your unit he should just use a gambit leaving him open to being nail by the rest of your squad on the following turn. Once he's down, just get everyone 1 square out of range of Rhea so you can move them all in on the next turn.

Catherine will come after you the moment you attack Rhea. She's weak to magic so having people with 3 range magic on that side should keep you safe. Lindhardt and Hubert were all I needed to take her out.

For Gambits, make sure that you've got the Authority skill equipped on people that are going to be using Gambits. It helps boost might for those attacks. Also use gambits with large AoE effects. They always break the first square in front of you and crack any others. A second hit will break the cracked squares. Try not to attack from more than one side at a time. If she uses her big all around AoE response, move someone with a gambit to a side away from most of your troops and use a gambit. The AoE will change to only cover that half of her instead of all the way around.

That's about all I can recall from last night when I beat it. I actually had a lot more trouble with the 4 falcon knights at the start than I did Rhea. My units were strong enough that she couldn't double anyone and she had at most a 50% hit rate on anyone, with significantly worse chances against some of my heavy hitters. Keep the healers for last just in case and always use a gambit on every turn so that you can dictate who she attacks even if the damage is mediocre compared to what you could do otherwise.

In the two turns it took me to kill her I don't think she actually me more than twice across all of my characters combined.[/SPOILERS]

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And Edelgard leads the most fav character (I love gatekeeper but thats the joke option) all is right
http:///OC9d.jpg
Was talking to somebody on Reddit (I know, I know, mistaaaaaake) the other day who was convinced that the only reason Edelgard's route was the most-picked was because she was a girl and nobody actually liked the character.

Eat shit, internet rando!

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Was talking to somebody on Reddit (I know, I know, mistaaaaaake) the other day who was convinced that the only reason Edelgard's route was the most-picked was because she was a girl and nobody actually liked the character.

tbh i was going to play edelgard route first just because she is a girl
but claude was just too charming to not go GD first

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
I need some advise for Ch.18 To the end of a Dream (Black Eagles route/hard) because I feel like screaming in to a pillow.

My safest tactic is to take the left lane past Annette if I want nobody to die before I actually get to the The immaculate One, I do fine up until I get to the steps to the left of her, she smokes my characters the moment I am 4 squares away from her and I can only get one gambit in on with either Byleth or Edelgard because one of them is getting insta smoked, if it isn't for her it's from the army of pegasus knights swarming me.

Second is her Dragon-scale wall barrier, the moment I finally destroy her armor, it's just for one turn because she regains her armor, and everyone's pretty much already dead at that point.

What's the best way to get to her and to actually get break her armor because the gambits don't seem to work mostly and she shoots lasers at me before I can physically harm her.

I've been at this battle for like 3 days now.
To add to what was said upthread, Resonant Flames and similar gambits will target all 9 squares of larger beasts. In NG+ GD I have two RF battalions and Claude's battalion that he shows up with post timeskip has Ashes and Dust (same area) but I don't remember if I had two in my first BE run. Anyway if you have two of those you can just break large beasts' armor in two gambits and then kill the beast basically almost in one turn by using the rest of your team to whale into 'em.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to chapter 10 in GD and it's been a great compliment to BE-C. I was worried playing GD right after BE-C would burn me out since I figured there wouldnt be anything new or interesting until the time skip. However, there have been a lot of great new details that weren't present in BE-C and seeing the same events from other perspectives help flesh out certain plot points. Learning more about Claude and watching his supports with the other students helps round things out as well.

Question about some revelations (BE-C / GD:Ch10 Spoilers)
Do we learn more about TWSITD in this route? The evil dude mentioned something about the secret of their bodies and Manuela also mentions how the dagger that killed Jeralt wasnt anything like they've seen before. I remembered that BE-C never addresses these things.

Are those things covered in this route? Simlpe Y/N would work.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to chapter 10 in GD and it's been a great compliment to BE-C. I was worried playing GD right after BE-C would burn me out since I figured there wouldnt be anything new or interesting until the time skip. However, there have been a lot of great new details that weren't present in BE-C and seeing the same events from other perspectives help flesh out certain plot points. Learning more about Claude and watching his supports with the other students helps round things out as well.

Question about some revelations (BE-C / GD:Ch10 Spoilers)
Do we learn more about TWSITD in this route? The evil dude mentioned something about the secret of their bodies and Manuela also mentions how the dagger that killed Jeralt wasnt anything like they've seen before. I remembered that BE-C never addresses these things.

Are those things covered in this route? Simlpe Y/N would work.

N

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I mean the first part of the argument is probably true, she is the only female lord so she gets the audience that prefers a female lord all for her, the second part is so wrong that is funny, she is definitely liked.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Lysithea making Ferdinand get sweets after that.
Geez, she really loves up to her stats.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Damnit! Is that stuff ever addressed in the game in either BL or BE-E?

Not in BE-E, and from what I've read about BL probably it wont be explained there either.
I dont think it was suposed to be a big mistery. Its just a magical bs dagger that allows to insta kill this strong knight. And their bodies thing is at best an excuse to save Kroyna and at worst just a hint that they belong to that ancient advanced civilization.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna go BE first just because they had a lady leader, but then my hatred of aristocracy forced me to pick the seemingly most egalitarian alliance of GD first (and get stuck with Lorenz, who still hasn't stopped being a douche like I've been told he might, some day).

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Augh, and all this time my run felt complete, since I got all Paralogues and characters are getting close to maxing each other.
But now I find out supports are locked pre-timeskip...

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
So one thing I don't get about this game so far -- What's the point of weapon choice if there's no weapon triangle anymore?

I feel like FE:Gaiden worked without the weapon triangle, but I'm not sure so far about the lack of weapon triangle. It makes choices in battles a little bit irrelevant.

I'm liking it so far though. I wish the game looked slightly better still, but there are some redeeming qualities to the art that is present.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't posted in awhile but I've been chipping away at BL after beating BE-E. Just got past the Battle of Eagle and Lions...

and I just want to say holy christ Dedue is absurd. He constantly gets Def+ for levels, and can literally pull aggro from 5+ units at once and basically not take a single point of damage, as long as he avoids mages.

Still really curious to see how this all pans out as Dimitri is still a big unknown for me with everything I know.

So one thing I don't get about this game so far -- What's the point of weapon choice if there's no weapon triangle anymore?

I feel like FE:Gaiden worked without the weapon triangle, but I'm not sure so far about the lack of weapon triangle. It makes choices in battles a little bit irrelevant.

I'm liking it so far though. I wish the game looked slightly better still, but there are some redeeming qualities to the art that is present.

For the most part it's just the general strength trade offs of the weapon types, like axe hitting the hardest with the worst accuracy.

They do get a skill when you reach a higher proficiency that sorta evokes it. Getting high with a sword will give Axebreaker, which is Hit/Avo +20 when using a sword vs. axe users. Same thing applies for other weapon types.

I like the idea of Combat Arts but I find they fall off later in the game compared to doubling. Not sure how they could really balance that part out.

Last edited:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Cant master all weapons
You want to equip the weapon mastery skills so the enemy doenst get free avoid/acc over you and those get better with your weapon level
Late game clases have faire skills built in that stack with S rank faire skills so if your weapon matches the class you get an extra damage boost
There is also the actual weapon triangle skills that you can equip too. Personally i found swordbreaker to be really useful against late game assasins

But even then, the triangle was only good in the early game in previous games. By late game you wete killing sword masters with axe wyver lords anyways so...

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Class optimization, combat arts, and effectiveness, mostly - monsters in particular have per-weapon vulnerabilities that make it important to have a diverse team. Or it'll be important on Lunatic, at any rate. Right now it's admittedly all a bit nothing 'cause the game is pretty easy.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

Melee weapons are largely just an avenue to get into the class you want. There's no reason to diversify your use of swords/axes/lances/fists. Weapon choice really is compromised, for example there is very little reason to use swords because class compatibility with that weapon is poor.

Some characters have unique arts or weapons that encourage you to use a certain weapon, but otherwise it's all about class.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I've finally finished the Golden Deer. My Byleth was useless against the final boss, so I guess she got screwed on defense somewhere along the way and I didn't notice. Thankfully MVP Bernie, along with Hilda and Lysithea, picked up the slack.

I think I'm definitely going to need a break before jumping into Blue Lions. Playing Part 1 for the third time is not an enticing thought at all.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on classic/normal and this game is so easy I feel like I'm cheating or doing something wrong. One character death in 30 hours and it was a total fluke.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the dancer class can use gaunlets? Mages, priest and monks cant so i suspect no magic classes (dancer included) are allowed but i dont have a dancer (or any 3rd or 4th tier mages to test)

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the dancer class can use gaunlets? Mages, priest and monks cant so i suspect no magic classes (dancer included) are allowed but i dont have a dancer (or any 3rd or 4th tier mages to test)

i assume they can because i believe someone posted a video of dancer marianne going hog wild with gauntlets

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Am I screwing myself over by not recruiting other students? I'm feeling like I don't want other people in my exclusive house lol.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda hard to take Hubert seriously when I recognize Prompto's voice under all that edge.

I'm actually starting to enjoy him now that I'm watching his supports though, especially with Bernadetta. Seiros help me I'm being corrupted.

Annette's Singing >>>>>>> Dorothea's Singing
ECG-jqwVAAEFjYm

:P

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda hard to take Hubert seriously when I recognize Prompto's voice under all that edge.

I'm actually starting to enjoy him now that I'm watching his supports though, especially with Bernadetta. Seiros help me I'm being corrupted.
Holy shit.

nah, there's paralogues that you miss post timeskip.

It's a major problem i have with the game.
I kind of get why they did it that way, though. That, and the cross-houses supports, encourages recruiting and actually using students from other houses.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could have my favorite characters steal others' good level-ups. Ignatz keeps getting a 6-point spread while Hilda and Petra make do with peanuts. there's no justice

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of get why they did it that way, though. That, and the cross-houses supports, encourages recruiting and actually using students from other houses.

I know people hated paralogues being locked behind kids in Awakening and Fates but I think it hurts much more here, as there are lore dumps there and I really do think recruiting kids from others houses in the game fucks up the narrative in this game with how liberally they apply it (I can take limited recruitement, but having entire houses betray they houses just because they like a mannequin is really silly to me)

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Just got into a Battle section during the weekend - confused because I finished one and there's two more options. Am I supposed to do those as well or is this just to pretty much farm XP

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got into a Battle section during the weekend - confused because I finished one and there's two more options. Am I supposed to do those as well or is this just to pretty much farm XP
On normal mode then you can battle as much as you want. The ability to grind is there to ensure anybody can get through the game on the lowest difficulty. Hit B to back out of the screen.