• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted but excellent cover of Edge of Dawn here.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
So, I think Maddening might be really... bad? There's no new restrictions in place for grinding, and the grinding levels are unchanged from Hard (I think), so a bunch of the game time is spent doing dumb grinding against really easy enemies so you can sort of keep up with the giant statblock enemies.

Their levels are not change but the game enemies do have different skills and abilities. Like archers in the level 3 prologue mission have the venom arrows that do 20% damage and 1+ range. Their stats are probably better then hard. They just forgot to adjust their levels.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I made Dorothea a dancer. What am I supposed to level up as a dancer? Sword? Magic? Punching? How do I learn these things?

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Generally magic seems to be the best bet. I made Flayn a dancer in my first run and then Bernie of all people in my second. The later was amusing since she had her NG+ skills from the later archer classes, so she would snipe if it not worth giving another person a turn.

It was worth it just for her reaction upon being picked.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I made Dorothea a dancer. What am I supposed to level up as a dancer? Sword? Magic? Punching? How do I learn these things?
Magic; you could level up swords to C and use Levin Sword + 20 Avo to potentially make your dancer a dodge tank but it's debatable whether or not you're better off with using those skills on a class with higher caps/growths, not to mention movement.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
The last few chapters of each of the routes are where the train falls off the tracks and where you have to make some leaps of judgement.

The impression I get is that the invasion of Enbarr is basically Claude partaking in the idea that the war is over the minute they take over the capital and head of state. Edelgard is going to fight to the death so a prolonged war isn't going to really work without a lot of people suffering. She's not going to throw down her weapons because people are starving.

You answered your own question really, the game often presents Edelgard as so ruthless, unreasonable and desperate to win that she's more than willing to commit pain and suffering to her own people if it will give her an edge. By contrast, it makes the lord that you've chosen to support as being forced to take drastic measures...essentially it's a "you've done this evil thing so therefore we're in the clear to do XYZ".

I don't really like this type of storytelling because it's basically punching down and basically concluding "well, look at what you made us do it's your fault that we had to kill your civilians because you refused to let them leave". A conversation between Dimitri and Edelgard is another route has similar issues where they punch down Edelgard by having her respond like a complete idiot (while in the process have Dimitri sound like a dude with zero nuanced political thought)

The biggest success of the game is the character progression via things like support system (vs. say Fates or Awakening where characters are stagnant) and characters continuing to interact with the plot well after their recruitment. The actual political and ethical aspect of the game is pretty naive, simplistic and not particularly well fleshed out.

Yeah, the
"you made me do it" justification for Claude's assault on Enbarr feels pretty flimsy, and it's obnoxious that all three lords suddenly become idiots or have their personalities change on the spot to serve the needs of the plot at various times.

Definitely agree that Three Houses benefits massively from having characters continue to exist and grow after their recruitment instead of disappearing completely from the plot like usual. And honestly I'd say this is the best story they've ever done, by a pretty wide margin. The conflict at the heart of Fodlan is fun to unearth, there's a coherent theme for once, and the history and main players feel fleshed out. But so far, of the two routes I've played neither one has managed to stick the landing and actually go anywhere interesting with all that conflict after the time-skip.

Golden Deer is falling especially flat for me now that I'm finishing it up. You spend literally the entire route waiting to receive
this revelatory lore dump that you're repeatedly promised, and then when it finally comes it's mostly just stuff about Crests/Relics that was already covered in Black Eagles. It felt like it was being set up to be this unique, route-specific narrative payoff, but it didn't work for me at all.

Plus, the eleventh hour reveal of the final boss from out of nowhere is just silly.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I've only made it to chapter 3 on maddening so far. The Red Canyon mission was tough but doable, but the mock battle man, that shit was hard as fuck. I was running away all across the map. I think the difficulty will even out a bit more now that battalions have opened up.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the
"you made me do it" justification for Claude's assault on Enbarr feels pretty flimsy, and it's obnoxious that all three lords suddenly become idiots or have their personalities change on the spot to serve the needs of the plot at various times.

Definitely agree that Three Houses benefits massively from having characters continue to exist and grow after their recruitment instead of disappearing completely from the plot like usual. And honestly I'd say this is the best story they've ever done, by a pretty wide margin. The conflict at the heart of Fodlan is fun to unearth, there's a coherent theme for once, and the history and main players feel fleshed out. But so far, of the two routes I've played neither one has managed to stick the landing and actually go anywhere interesting with all that conflict after the time-skip.

Golden Deer is falling especially flat for me now that I'm finishing it up. You spend literally the entire route waiting to receive
this revelatory lore dump that you're repeatedly promised, and then when it finally comes it's mostly just stuff about Crests/Relics that was already covered in Black Eagles. It felt like it was being set up to be this unique, route-specific narrative payoff, but it didn't work for me at all.

Plus, the eleventh hour reveal of the final boss from out of nowhere is just silly.

The Slitherins are probably the lamest evil group in recent video game memory. Even the name the game gives them to is super lame.

Game seriously wouldn't lose anything by removing them entirely and reworking some plot points to fill in whatever plot beats that involve them.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The Slitherins are probably the lamest evil group in recent video game memory. Even the name the game gives them to is super lame.

Game seriously wouldn't lose anything by removing them entirely and reworking some plot points to fill in whatever plot beats that involve them.
I dunno ...
They're the main reason invoked by many players to not side with Edegard ("she's allied to those who killed your father"). If you remove them the only bad thing the Flame Emperor does is being involved in the initial bandit attack (for unclear reasons). I think they could work but they'd need to be rewritten in part two.

Like in part one they still look like mustache twirling villains, but in part two it's revealed/implied that they aren't as cartoonish and exposed themselves that way to put dirt on the Flame Emperor (to try to keep her in leash, so that she wouldn't gain powerful close allies). And then in part two they're still evil but less the "we're comically mean", and more "cunning bastards with ulterior motives (killing Seiros out of a millennia old grudge)".

Edit:
It does feel like they've been put there to have a proper "pure evil" antagonist in a game where there's a lot of grayness. So I wouldn't mind them having some level of grayness too (albeit small).

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I hope that the wave 4 storyline DLC will be taking place during the battle in the intro. Just to get more insight on the motivations of those that slither.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So I've been playing the game for a while now, mostly on auto-pilot since the story really wasn't hooking me that much, but yesterday I got to chapter 11-12-13 and boy, that escalated QUICKLY

My head kept spinning, first I take Edelgard to become empress, next minute turns out she's been the bad guy all along? I felt angry, that fight against her minions and her was amazing, but then I spared her since I thought it was a bit too much to ask me to kill my studient, and I'm happy I didn't do it, but as of that point shit just got real man, the next fight when you're storming the monastery with her troops was amazing, the feeling that what you're doing is wrong was palpable, having to fight Flayn and everyone else was incredible. Now at chapter 13 I love that that feel hasn't gone away since now fights are really to the death and I'm having to kill the former studients of other houses, the game's tone has gotten way, way darker all of a sudden and I love it. Do I have a lot of game left? I'm clocking in at 30 hours I think

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been playing the game for a while now, mostly on auto-pilot since the story really wasn't hooking me that much, but yesterday I got to chapter 11-12-13 and boy, that escalated QUICKLY

My head kept spinning, first I take Edelgard to become empress, next minute turns out she's been the bad guy all along? I felt angry, that fight against her minions and her was amazing, but then I spared her since I thought it was a bit too much to ask me to kill my studient, and I'm happy I didn't do it, but as of that point shit just got real man, the next fight when you're storming the monastery with her troops was amazing, the feeling that what you're doing is wrong was palpable, having to fight Flayn and everyone else was incredible. Now at chapter 13 I love that that feel hasn't gone away since now fights are really to the death and I'm having to kill the former studients of other houses, the game's tone has gotten way, way darker all of a sudden and I love it. Do I have a lot of game left? I'm clocking in at 30 hours I think

That route is a shorter than the others
Ch counts:
BE-E 18 chapters
Other routes 21-22 chapters

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah that part of the game is soooo good

Oct 25, 2017
I've only made it to chapter 3 on maddening so far. The Red Canyon mission was tough but doable, but the mock battle man, that shit was hard as fuck. I was running away all across the map. I think the difficulty will even out a bit more now that battalions have opened up.

I haven't finished Red Canyon, but yeah, it will probably even out.

Also: Playing online in Maddening makes the difficulty a lot more manageable. They nerfed combat experience, but not Yellow Circle experience, and I don't think healing experience either. Also, getting more spell casts from purples will be a godsend.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Oh wow, they toned down Bernies support in the latest patch.

New
oKtQAvD.jpg

Old

pqRIiPa.jpg

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any option to change the text language? I don't see it D:

I wanted to do my third playthrough in Japanese. I'm willing to buy another copy but I guess I wouldn't be about to NG+ in that case. Sigh.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I wanted to do my third playthrough in Japanese. I'm willing to buy another copy but I guess I wouldn't be about to NG+ in that case. Sigh.

I've not done it, but isn't the normal way to do that for switch games to change to Japanese at a system level?

If I remember correctly, a lot of switch games have a single file with all the text included, and loaded by the system settings. There are exceptions, like splatoon, but no idea if Fire emblem is one of the exceptions.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

A lot of games change the text language to your system language, maybe try switching to Japanese (if you're confident that you can manage to set it back after that).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh does that work? I'll try that, thanks!!

I just looked at the UK eshop webpage and it lists supported languages for Three houses as
"German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese",

so if you switch to any one of those at your system settings, it'll play in that language ( I assume).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I want to come back to Three Houses.

I already did the BE:E route, which route would the more interesting for a 2nd playthrough ?

Thanks !!

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
eh they didn't really change Bernie's support that much, they just made it less descriptive

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pro tip

For the linhardt and leonie paralogue, bring seteth and flayn and have them engage with the boss. Especially flayn! It's worth it

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I heard the comparison of byleths new va, sounds almost exactly the same which is good since I really like his og voice

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
Hello, I have a couple questions:
1) My first playthrough was BL and I enjoyed it a lot, I was wondering which route is a good follow up. I was thinking either Church or GD as I hear they are quite similar, and if I want to play all four I don't want to do them back-to-back.
2) One gripe I had was with the difficulty, I found Hard Classic much too easy. Is there a difficulty on par with Hard Conquest? I've heard Maddening is a harder than that so I was thinking of maybe doing a NG+ Maddening run (I'd start with +25% EXP to counteract the decrease). Would that be a suitable difficulty for me?

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017

cracking my shit up.

Oh wow, they toned down Bernies support in the latest patch.

New
oKtQAvD.jpg

Old

pqRIiPa.jpg

GOD DAMN IT! I knew they would censor it the first time I saw this support. I just fucking knew it. This redaction was totally unnecessary...

Wonder if there are other redactions from the update?

also got a question for all of y'all. do y'all change the battalion for byleth y/n?

for some odd reason it doesn't feel right to switch out jeralts mercenaries for some other battalion to me. currently on my 6th run of this game. and for the most part I have byleth exclusively use jeralts battalion in all 6 runs. am i just weird?

also, what's your preferred byleth? male or female? imo F!Byleth makes a whole lot more sense story wise and she is far much more expressive vs M!Byleth. got nothing against Zach Aguilar, Niosi on the other hand can eat dirt and I'm pleased he's been cancelled. But having 5 runs rolling with F!Byleth and only now playing M!Byleth... I still prefer F!Byleth.

Last edited:

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Eh... I understand, but the line about her dad mistreating her to shape her into a better wife still remains there. They just made it a bit less explicit and disturbing.

And I know it's not popular opinion, but I disliked Bernie because they went the wrong way about her social anxiety. She's a punchline and comical character more than a success story... I don't like it as someone who also suffered social anxiety.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing for about 20 hours. I have thoughts. Last FE I played was Awakening.

Positive:
Graphics
Presentation
Battles
Music

Negatives:
Almost everything to do with running around the monestary.

Lack of music - it's good but I'm already tired of hearing the same track for each battle

SO MUCH BUSINESS. There's entirely too much busywork and unsatisfying tasks and half-baked mini-games.

Characters - 20 hours in and I don't give a shit about any of these people. I've started skipping through support convos and I now dread seeing the red circle in the main menu after a fight

...that's all for now. Gotta slog on.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The secret best part of divine pulses is it lets you engage in the moments of "I wonder if there is special dialog if these two characters fight each other", which I think accounts for about 14% of 3H's script.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay I just finished my first run through as Golden Deer at 76 hours, I'd love to start a new campaign but I think I need a long break before coming back. I'll probably do a Blue Lions run.

Oct 25, 2017
I've come around on Maddening. The mock battle is a totally inexcusable difficulty spike, but just after that you start to get interesting tools. Unfortunately, the mock battle is such a spike that is also equivalent on both Maddening+ and Maddening- (Casual), because it is balanced to the extreme and is the same on both, fucking over people that want something slightly less brutal than Maddening/Classic.

Some observations:
  1. They forgot to nerf Yellow Square bonuses or Healing experience points, so being a healing is like joining a power leveling service. I can't think of any other RPG where my devoted healer ends up highest or near highest in level.
  2. The Yellow level side missions are actually really good? The one I could do after Zanado was actually harder than Zanado.
  3. The AI seems more aggressive. It won't always wait for you to enter range, either. Once you trigger the first group on Zanado, pretty much every other group other than the boss' will enter a rushdown timer.
  4. Bosses being willing to move is a nice change for the series. Also kind of makes things easier, because you can sometimes bait the boss without killing their group.
  5. Gambits, Gambits, Gambits. Everybody should get some authority, and it makes it totally worth it to spend early Professor time on buffing Byleth's Authority, to help everyone's Authority when leveling.
  6. The Poison Archers + Pass Rogues seems to be a near universal change to all enemies.
  7. The higher skill level on enemies is much higher than their level and stats would otherwise indicates, which totally drives odds against the player, fast.
Playing through with a new cast is as joyful as it was the first two houses.

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hot take: Three Houses soundtrack is the weakest in series history. There might be individual tracks that are worse than the worst that it has to offer (there's nothing here as bad as that awful cover of After the Battle in Path of Radiance) and certain soundtracks might have been more hampered by the technological limits of the hardware on which their corresponding entries were released but I honestly can't see myself listening to any of these songs on their own and whenever they're supposed to be used to enhance the mood of a battle, cutscene, etc. they rarely ever convey what they're trying to. The songs aren't incompetently put together but after playing for several hundreds of hours, the only original one that's really left an impression on me is that awful opening track.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Three Houses soundtrack is the weakest in series history. There might be individual tracks that are worse than the worst that it has to offer (there's nothing here as bad as that awful cover of After the Battle in Path of Radiance) and certain soundtracks might have been more hampered by the technological limits of the hardware on which their corresponding entries were released but I honestly can't see myself listening to any of these songs on their own and whenever they're supposed to be used to enhance the mood of a battle, cutscene, etc. they rarely ever convey what they're trying to. The songs aren't incompetently put together but after playing for several hundreds of hours, the only original one that's really left an impression on me is that awful opening track.

Hot take, all right. You're absolutely crazy. While I don't find it quite as strong as SoV's -- the series' best -- it's super good all the same.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if TH is the series' weakest soundtrack, but I do think it's one of the weaker ones. I like pretty much all the map themes, but outside of that... I got nothin'. Most of the tracks are totally forgettable despite them playing over and over for 70 hours.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like 3H's soundtrack a whole bunch

More than Fates and Echoes even

There's no toping Awakening though. Not yet anyway

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love Three Houses's soundtrack. Probably not more than Awakening and especially Fates (that game had soooo much music man) but I still love it. The OST doesn't really kick it into high gear until Part 2 though.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The soundtrack is meh. Nothing to be ashamed of, but nothing great either. I mean there are some great tracks (like the final battle tracks) but there are a ton of forgettable tracks.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can I also say:

Flayn and Seteth = Yawn

I had no interest in any of their support conversations, I would hard skip them when they came up.

I have no time for "Teenage girl that's actually 200 years old and overly protective brother."

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Soundtrack isn't that great.

It's weird to me as it was Echoes > Fates >>> Awakening, but it spiraled back.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, I finally beat one route! I forgot to get the ring though, so I guess I'll die alone. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to unlock all the S ranks in the Extras?