• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, haven't gotten that far into Maddening. I have heard that the difficulty falls off after the very early game.

There are some nasty difficulty spikes that can softlock your run

It gets more manageable as you go along, but you really need to be diligent about raising your crew

Golden Deer's Final Boss is straight up impossible without preparation, lol

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Level isn't really the driving factor, fortunately. And good luck doing all of the Paralogues right as they come up-- they can be giant, wonderful difficulty spikes. Surviving the 2nd turn of Lorenz' paralogue is... yeesh (assuming you're on Classic).

Paralogues on Maddening have been the most I've enjoyed the strategy side of a Fire Emblem, outside of Conquest.

Ah nice, that's encouraging to hear! It was clear on Hard that the Paralogues had the potential to be pretty interesting, but you're so overwhelmingly powerful on that difficulty that you could usually ignore all the special conditions and just steamroll them.

Like, Lorenz's Paralogue is supposed to be a defense map, but on Hard I just Warped Leonie to the left side of the map, pressed wait, and let half the enemy army crash into her untouchable Defense. I'm excited that the game's gonna push me to get a little more creative.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Damn, people weren't kidding about the lore dump at the end of Verdant Wind. On the final month now. Been quite a ride.

I can't believe this route gets epic Dubstepper cutscenes and annihilation and Edelgard gets a line in her epilogue, smh

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So, I have been trying to play this game, but I can't get past this Byleth design. I am either going to have to buy the DLC or start over as the male character.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So, I have been trying to play this game, but I can't get past this Byleth design. I am either going to have to buy the DLC or start over as the male character.
Female Byleth is so bad. I did my first playthrough with the male and am doing my second playthrough as female. If I ever bring myself to do a third+ I doubt I'll ever go with the female option again.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with F!Byleth. y'all on some type of meth.

Only the sportswear dlc is any good. officer uniform is undoubtedly piss poor.

Feb 10, 2018
Hi, i've got a question regarding DLC and family plan for Nintendo online

I have got two switches, one for me and one for my girlfriend

I bought the DLC with my account, but when she plays, I can't find where she can change the character clothes anywhere. Does she have to finish the game first? Or are dlc not shared between the accounts?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, i've got a question regarding DLC and family plan for Nintendo online

I have got two switches, one for me and one for my girlfriend

I bought the DLC with my account, but when she plays, I can't find where she can change the character clothes anywhere. Does she have to finish the game first? Or are dlc not shared between the accounts?
DLC is not shared among accounts. You bought the DLC for your account, not for anyone who uses that particular copy of the game.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
female byleth looks pretty cool in the mercenary outfit

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
How high have y'all gotten your byleth?

pd8wTrJ.jpg

I've been spending most of my time training my under leveled units while using byleth as a tank. sacred power is hella useful.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
After ~150 hours I finished my first playthrough choosing the Crimson Flower route. I was playing on hard classic and built up a lot of supports. 😅 While I enjoyed the story and love Edelgard to death, that route didn't explain shit and felt like the 2nd act of a 3 act story. I know the DLC will add some stuff and the other routes fill in many blanks, but the game seriously needs an enhanced port like Devil Survivor: Overclocked for the Switch successor.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I shelved this game for a while but started playing again. Just beat the Battle of Eagle and Lion or whatever it was called. About how much more time do I have before the time skip? I'm trying to lure a few more characters to my side but only managed Lysethia so far.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
After ~150 hours I finished my first playthrough choosing the Crimson Flower route. I was playing on hard classic and built up a lot of supports. 😅 While I enjoyed the story and love Edelgard to death, that route didn't explain shit and felt like the 2nd act of a 3 act story. I know the DLC will add some stuff and the other routes fill in many blanks, but the game seriously needs an enhanced port like Devil Survivor: Overclocked for the Switch successor.

Nah, both the Church and GD routes drop the lore about the world. The game simply requires you to play all the routes to understand the world, and to assume that each route is an "what-if" scenario, so there is no true ending - plus a character that may seem insane or unhinged in one route truly isn't in another route and even explains their reasoning to act one way or another.

Give the other routes a try. You won't get the full picture otherwise - but the game doesn't need an enhanced port, imo. It's a self contained story.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I shelved this game for a while but started playing again. Just beat the Battle of Eagle and Lion or whatever it was called. About how much more time do I have before the time skip? I'm trying to lure a few more characters to my side but only managed Lysethia so far.
If you mean the second fight between all three houses, then you have 5 more chapters left until the time skip.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, both the Church and GD routes drop the lore about the world. The game simply requires you to play all the routes to understand the world, and to assume that each route is an "what-if" scenario, so there is no true ending - plus a character that may seem insane or unhinged in one route truly isn't in another route and even explains their reasoning to act one way or another.

Give the other routes a try. You won't get the full picture otherwise - but the game doesn't need an enhanced port, imo. It's a self contained story.
I fully intend to play the other routes but Crimson Flower feels like an incomplete story in ways other than backstory and world building. For one, the fight against
Those That Slither in the Darkness is only mentioned in the epilogue.
Not to mention Edelgard's generals are barely even characters and
Death Knight doesn't even make an appearance post time skip. Then there is the matter of sidestepping all the, morally grey at best, things she did as the Flame Emperor. I love Edelgard as a character but I find it really dumb that her route is so barebones.

After reading news about all the DLC coming, I'm going to shelve the game until everything is out.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, the Battle of the Eagle and Lion is fantastic on Maddening. If you're not getting value out of every move you're simply going to get overrun on the central hill, so you can't turtle your way to victory like some of the earlier maps. Dorothea ended up being the MVP due to an incredibly clutch cast of Rally Charm, a skill I don't think I ever used once on either of my previous playthroughs.

Probably my favorite map IntSys has done since Conquest.

Oct 25, 2017
Even with A rating with Leonie and a 33 in the hard stat she was interested in (STR), I still needed to get up to E+ in Lance for her to join my class. Huh.

Wrapping up the first half now. They REALLY needed to nerf the shit out of Professor Level on Maddening, but they didn't, which blows. There's room for a 4th difficulty to actually fix Professor Level, which is the biggest sore the game has for both balancing and pacing. Even doing almost every general Paralogue in Part 1, I have plenty of time to spare and grind.

Ignatz joined my class without needed to spend any time or resources on him, and went on to replace my Bernadetta as my main archer. +20 to Hit and his massive luck stat is a godsend in Maddening. Petra and Bernie often had like 60-70% chance to hit even just two spaces away.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
How you guys manage to play this more than one playthrough?

Im 70 hrs in, BE and hard classic and I feel Im about to end the game but the story is fucking atrocious.
Do I need to play the 3 houses and 200hrs to understand what the heck is going on?!

Fuck that.

The monastery at the beginning was fun and interesting, but now is tedious and boring and I dont want to do that anymore IF I ever chose to try other house.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn it. Just wasted 25 bucks, I bought it for her :/

Well thanks for the info!

To be more clear, it is possible to get the dlc playable on her switch/account. Do the following (The downside is if you do this, you won't be able to boot any game with dlc or digital game on your switch without your switch being connected to the internet)

To let your digital games and dlc be used on two different switches at the same time you need to do the following.

Set the switch you (person A) want to use your personal account on as the secondary switch.

Set the switch person B wants to use as the primary switch for the account which has bought the games.

Then person A can boot any game they personally bought on the secondary switch when connected online, and person B can boot any game on any profile on the primary switch. You need to be using different profiles on the two though.

For online play and this to work, you need either two subs or the family plan though.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
female byleth looks pretty cool in the mercenary outfit

So her outfit will change when I change her class? Will it change how she looks in other places in the game? Before I put another minute into this game I need to know. If not, I am just going to restart. Otherwise I will push on, knowing that her idiotic design will be replaced.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
So her outfit will change when I change her class? Will it change how she looks in other places in the game? Before I put another minute into this game I need to know. If not, I am just going to restart. Otherwise I will push on, knowing that her idiotic design will be replaced.
No, it just changes in battle. She keeps her original outfit in the monastery and cutscenes.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
well there's also an alternate costume that comes with the DLC that doesn't look nearly as dumb, if you wear that she only has her 'default' outfit in the cinematic cut scenes

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
well there's also an alternate costume that comes with the DLC that doesn't look nearly as dumb, if you wear that she only has her 'default' outfit in the cinematic cut scenes

Yeah, I didn't mind that one at all. However, I can't justify spending that much more money on a game I just paid full price for. So, I just restarted the game with the male version. He is boring, but at least I can play the game now. I couldn't get past that awful design for the female version of Byleth.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I didn't mind that one at all. However, I can't justify spending that much more money on a game I just paid full price for. So, I just restarted the game with the male version. He is boring, but at least I can play the game now. I couldn't get past that awful design for the female version of Byleth.
yeah I understand, it honestly would be fine or at least not nearly as dumb if there was no bellybutton window and her legs had no stockings on them

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
yeah I understand, it honestly would be fine or at least not nearly as dumb if there was no bellybutton window and her legs had no stockings on them
That's definitely one of the main reasons I play MByleth. I don't really care about the "romance" aspect and FByleth design is just ... well ... 🤷‍♀️

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Chapter 4 on Maddening and really struggling. I can do fine right up until the reinforcements arrive. They all gang up on one side of my split crew and double nearly everyone and are just very hard to kill without tripping into the Death Knight's reach.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
So Cyrill recruit stats scale off his base growths not his aptitude growths which means i had to recruit him super early if i wanted to use him. Now he would have 16 str at lvl 23 and that sucks.

that video feels a bit off for Three Houses

upbeat critical quotes were pretty jarring given the context in the previous fire emblems, but a lot of the critical quotes in Three Houses tend to be more about grim determination than anything, particularly post-timeskip

I dont think those are supposed to be critical hit quotes but rather post kill quotes, like "Hilda! Hilda!" "Ugh now Im all sweaty"

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017

Im 70 hrs in, BE and hard classic and I feel Im about to end the game but the story is fucking atrocious.
Do I need to play the 3 houses and 200hrs to understand what the heck is going on?!

Fuck that.

The monastery at the beginning was fun and interesting, but now is tedious and boring and I dont want to do that anymore IF I ever chose to try other house.
I just hit 400 hours on this game according to my savefile.The only reason I bought the Nintendo Switch was just because of Fire Emblem. but I'm the exception, not the rule.

if you don't mind, which route are you on right now? you said BE but there are two routes in BE: Byleth or Edelgard. which route did you choose?

the way this game is setup you can only learn what's really going if you play in this order GD>BL>BE-Byleth>BE-Edelgard.

Having said that, I strongly recommend BL next however as BE-Byleth and GD are more or less the same route with only difference being different final boss and GD having one extra chapter in part 2.

But this particular game is for those who have free time. its okay to be burned out. try playing one or two chapters at a time. its okay to skip monastery stuff. but keep in mind when recruiting, unless u on ng+ monastery becomes necessary.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Still trudging along through my maddening run. Made it to chapter 14 of the Crimson flower route and ho boy. I almost thought that this would be where my maddening run would end. This mission can get pretty crazy. Thankfully after a couple of retries I got it in my head to warp Bernie towards the first reinforcements enemy and instantly took care of him with the hunter's volley. I'm not sure if the mission is bugged or if it's by design but the other two enemies at the gates never spawned in additional enemies after the first guy was dealt with. It made the mission far more manageable. Next up chapter 15!

By the by, the Crimson Flower route really feels half assed compared to The Golden Deer. I'm so glad that i did that route first.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Well you are playing the campaign with the weakest story first lol

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
that video feels a bit off for Three Houses

upbeat critical quotes were pretty jarring given the context in the previous fire emblems, but a lot of the critical quotes in Three Houses tend to be more about grim determination than anything, particularly post-timeskip
Pretty sure they're criticizing the post-killing quotes that are especially jarring in the pre-timeskip era, not that the critical quotes aren't jarring in their own right (or irritating, honestly).

I miss the days when I didn't dislike the critical hits in Fire Emblem.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Still trudging along through my maddening run. Made it to chapter 14 of the Crimson flower route and ho boy. I almost thought that this would be where my maddening run would end. This mission can get pretty crazy. Thankfully after a couple of retries I got it in my head to warp Bernie towards the first reinforcements enemy and instantly took care of him with the hunter's volley. I'm not sure if the mission is bugged or if it's by design but the other two enemies at the gates never spawned in additional enemies after the first guy was dealt with. It made the mission far more manageable. Next up chapter 15!

By the by, the Crimson Flower route really feels half assed compared to The Golden Deer. I'm so glad that i did that route first.
It's actually less half-assed. The more you play the more you realize little unique content any of the routes got. Golden Deer is a copy of silver snow. A better copy, but still a copy.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Chapter 4 on Maddening and really struggling. I can do fine right up until the reinforcements arrive. They all gang up on one side of my split crew and double nearly everyone and are just very hard to kill without tripping into the Death Knight's reach.
That's the Rite of Rebirth mission, right? I'd suggest not focusing on killing all units - don't split your crew, just pick a side of the Mausoleum and head for the boss. You know when the reinforcements come, so you can have units covering the rearguard when they catch up to you.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018

To add on to what LunaSerena said, you'll still have enough time to clear both sides if you do one side at a time. 30 turns is a while.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just got to Dedue's paralogue. I'm looking at the portraits of the Duscur soldiers and wondering why they aren't brown-skinned. Then, I zoom in on the models and they're actually brown-skinned! Nice! Would it have been too much to ask to match the portraits too?

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
I just hit 400 hours on this game according to my savefile.The only reason I bought the Nintendo Switch was just because of Fire Emblem. but I'm the exception, not the rule.

if you don't mind, which route are you on right now? you said BE but there are two routes in BE: Byleth or Edelgard. which route did you choose?

the way this game is setup you can only learn what's really going if you play in this order GD>BL>BE-Byleth>BE-Edelgard.

Having said that, I strongly recommend BL next however as BE-Byleth and GD are more or less the same route with only difference being different final boss and GD having one extra chapter in part 2.

But this particular game is for those who have free time. its okay to be burned out. try playing one or two chapters at a time. its okay to skip monastery stuff. but keep in mind when recruiting, unless u on ng+ monastery becomes necessary.

I went absolutely blind, I wanted to discover everything by myself and ending up on the Edelgard route, I saw nothing wrong until ...needless to say, I was invested because I was expecting a pay off but no..........not only is a disjointed story, is one that took me 73 hrs to complete............. and oh boy those portraits at the end as reward for your romance choice..... a finger to my face.

The fights are good but now that I know the hole monastery, romance options, gifts, tea and lunches are just a facade, a facade that takes WAY too much time, for now I dont have the motivation to do another route.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys watch all the support convos? I am wondering if that's one of the reasons my game time is so much higher than everybody else. (Normal 65 hours chapter 16)

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished my Blue Lions playthrough, and overall very much enjoyed it. GD will be next and then I'll probably wait until the DLC is out before I do BE.

Ingrid was my MVP for so many stages, as a Falcon Knight I could just throw her in a room filled with mages and most enemies and she would just shrug off their attacks or (most of the time) they'd miss entirely. Hell, even archers missed lol.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys watch all the support convos? I am wondering if that's one of the reasons my game time is so much higher than everybody else. (Normal 65 hours chapter 16)
I did. I recruited almost every character minus three Golden Deer guys, so there was a lot of support grinding for me. I focused mainly on the women x women supports so I'd have have as many of them get together in the epilogue.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It's actually less half-assed. The more you play the more you realize little unique content any of the routes got. Golden Deer is a copy of silver snow. A better copy, but still a copy.
Sure, but I'm talking about the quality of the story and overall production values. The Crimson Flower route doesn't feel as cohesive as the Golden Deer route and where you got a cool cutscene in the GD route you get a static image and abrupt scene cuts in the BE-E route.

That said, the BE-E maps are definitely good (better?). Though I'm not sure how much of that is also related to the difficulty settings.