• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I think 3H has my favorite character design of the series. All of the post-timeskip designs are great and do a good job showcasing everyone's unique character and how they've grown. Everyone's designs also feels true to themselves, rather than being slotted into a pre-existing character classes, which we saw a lot in the GBA games especially. Like, Ferdinand exemplifies paladins, but you wouldn't expect any other paladin to look like Ferdinand.

I especially love Edelgard's post-timeskip design. It's just so striking. Especially how it works for her both as a protagonist and antagonist.

EC1IdNuW4AYm__1.jpg:large

The Death Knight is jokes, though.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think 3H has my favorite character design of the series. All of the post-timeskip designs are great and do a good job showcasing everyone's unique character and how they've grown. Everyone's designs also feels true to themselves, rather than being slotted into a pre-existing character classes, which we saw a lot in the GBA games especially. Like, Ferdinand exemplifies paladins, but you wouldn't expect any other paladin to look like Ferdinand.

I especially love Edelgard's post-timeskip design. It's just so striking. Especially how it works for her both as a protagonist and antagonist.

I looooooove this design, and it's a damn shame that there isn't more fanart of it.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I looooooove this design, and it's a damn shame that there isn't more fanart of it.
I've found a good amount of fanart of her in the post-timeskip design. Though a significant amount of that fanart also overlaps with Edelgard x F!Byleth shipping, so it helps to be down with that.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've found a good amount of fanart of her in the post-timeskip design. Though a significant amount of that fanart also overlaps with Edelgard x F!Byleth shipping, so it helps to be down with that.

Oh, there's great stuff, but a lot of it (even the shippy stuff... 🤔 ) is Student Edelgard.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hi folks. I'm just finally getting into this after trying to defeat the anxiety games like this give me (too many choices -> strong likely hold of making bad permanent character development choices + not enough time to just play over from scratch if I screw up), and I've got a question.

Should I be mastering each class I take a unit through? I'm on Chapter 5 and some of my units are reaching level 10 for intermediate class promotion long before their even close to mastering their beginner class. Do I hold off on promoting them before upgrading or just upgrade away until I get them where I want them?

I'm Black Eagles playing on Normal/Classic, if that matters.

Last edited:

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Hi folks. I'm just finally getting into this after trying to defeat the anxiety games like this give me (too many choices -> strong likely hold of making bad permanent character development choices + not enough time to just play over from scratch if I screw up), and I've got a question.

Should I be mastering each class I take a unit through? I'm on Chapter 5 and some of my units are reaching level 10 for intermediate class promotion long before their even close to mastering their beginner class. Do I hold off on promoting them before upgrading or just upgrade away until I get them where I want them?

Always certify right away, it'll often permanently raise your characters base stats even if you don't actually change classes until later. I wouldn't fret mastering classes unless there is a specific ability you are aiming for, most of what you get from class masteries just aren't difference makers. The beginner classes aren't worth staying in, I'd just promote everyone at level 10. Some of the intermediate classes have useful abilities that you might want though.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Should I beg mastering each class I take a unit through? I'm on Chapter 5 and some of my units are reaching level 10 for intermediate class promotion long before their even close to mastering their beginner class. Do I hold off on promoting them before upgrading or just upgrade away until I get them where I want them?

There are only a few classes I would say is worth holding off on promotion to master. Though most of them are the earlier classes. The beginning classes all give you a Combat Art that aides in movement, which can be very helpful, so those are worth getting. In my book Reposition is the best (learned by mastering Soldier) followed by Draw Back (Monk), then Swap (Myrm) and Shove. Most characters who rank up in heavy armor will get Smite which is a better version of Shove (moves a unit forward 2 spaces instead of 1).

The other worthwhile classes to master are Mage and Brigand, for Fiendish Blow and Death Blow, respectively. Those both aide in your attacks, which is always useful. +20 to hit from Archer is also good. Most of the rest are nice to have, but are situational, so don't sweat it.

Remember that you can always reclass into a class you've already learned. So you can cert into a new class for an upcoming story mission, then go back to a previous class if you want to bust up some bandits in an auxiliary mission to get your class mastery, since mastery goes up by number of battles basically, not by exp gained.

And don't sweat the choices too much. The game gives you plenty of leeway and on normal I don't think you can make an nonviable build if you tried.

Last edited:

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about making non-viable builds on Normal or Hard, the game gives you enough instruction points to try out a few different things with each character and still have them end up perfectly usable.

Really the only major pitfalls I could imagine running into are sleeping on Authority ranks and not using a healer with Physic. And those would still only be inconveniences, rather than run-enders.

The other worthwhile classes to master are Mage and Brigand, for Fiendish Blow and Death Blow, respectively. Those both aide in your attacks, which is always useful.

Yeah, Fiendish Blow and Death Blow are the only two class skills that you really want to go out of your way to get. Pretty much everything else is non-essential.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say darting blow is very useful on maddening for characters that you want to use as get in kill a squishy and get out types...my Ingrid had both death blow and darting blow

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I've got a bizarre AI glitch happening to me on the BE-E Derdriu fight. I went for the Almyrans first and completely ignored the mainland side of the map. Once I aggro'd Nader, everyone except the stronghold-holders and their reinforcements made a beeline for the little outcropping where the boss is. I thought they were going to all try and swarm my side of the map, but no, or maybe me turning around and going back to the mainland from the ships confused the AI and spawned a glitch, because now they've completely halted. A *full* halt. They won't even attack anything in range and will only counterattack on player phase. There was a while there where I was staring down Lysithea because she and Hilda perfectly positioned themselves to cover each other, but she wouldn't attack, so I tested the theory putting someone she could 100% kill in there, no movement, so now I'm moving in and picking them off bit by bit.

Edit: Lol, the game dumped four paralogues on me at once after that.

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah Edelgard's design is fantastic and one of the best coming out of Nintendo in recent memory. I really wished we got an amiibo of her. Hopefully she ends up in the second wave of Smash DLC.

I know she's getting a figma figure but it's of her younger form, which is still a pretty good design, but I'd love one of her older form.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Edeldgard's timeskip design is aces. Her canon hairstyle looks kinda silly outside of her personal classes though

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Edelgard's design is fantastic and one of the best coming out of Nintendo in recent memory. I really wished we got an amiibo of her. Hopefully she ends up in the second wave of Smash DLC.

I know she's getting a figma figure but it's of her younger form, which is still a pretty good design, but I'd love one of her older form.
Fuck, Edelgard Amiibo. I didn't even think about that.

Just do it Sakurai. We all know you're a huge Fire Emblem stan. Put all the lords in. Fuck the haters.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The 3 lords are incredible. Really memorable, interesting designs.

Other favorites are Petra, Dorothea, Dedue and Lys. But the whole cast has a place on my heart.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
You know, even months later, I find myself humming Edge of Dawn from time to time. Both the Japanese and English versions are just so good.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

A woman character as DLC for Smash? 🤣

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've unfortunately decided to call it on my playthrough of Three Houses. It'll be the first one I haven't finished, and I don't think I made it anywhere near the timeskip.

I had a rare amount of free time this weekend so I booted it up after about a month, but then had to grind through the horrible school section. Got to a map (a desert map versus a team and a lizard) which was fun and a cool map, had fun on this one.

I had another free battle point, so I went to Sothis's paralogue and spent a bunch of time there before losing to reinforcement eagles and had to restart. At this point my free time was up (typing it out, maybe something is wrong with my life if this is the grand total of free time I get on weekends? lol?) and I realized I would probably never finish a single playthrough, let alone all four.

Top three requests for the next Fire Emblem: reduce the tedious between mission stuff by a lot, go back to a single campaign, and stop introducing so many of the characters up front like in Fates/Three Houses.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Loving this game. I think it's the first I've really loved since the original US GBA games (I never played the GC or Wii games).

I do have a non-spoilery question about character classes.

I'm in chapter 10, and most of my favorite characters are either in their appropriate Advanced class or close to it. Since I now seem to have only that last block of classes in front of me and (apparently) a lot of game left, how should I develop my characters once they hit their "final" class? This doesn't seem like the type of game where multi-class builds are all that useful (At least on normal, unless balancing changes). Should I just start focusing my prof points on building up the underlevele/ignored/recruited characters? Does it really matter at this point or can I kinda do whatever?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Man, the Bernie-Petra paralogue was vigorous.

Had to restart it once due to how the enemy reinforcements worked, I was neglecting one whole half of the map and the shift in win condition made it immediately unwinnable without going back to scratch.

In the second run it was still barely doable, mostly because I didn't have enough people tagged on to take down Catherine, had to rely on luck for my Byleth to survive a bout with her (though she also had luck on her side that she didn't get Meteor'd).

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Loving this game. I think it's the first I've really loved since the original US GBA games (I never played the GC or Wii games).

I do have a non-spoilery question about character classes.

I'm in chapter 10, and most of my favorite characters are either in their appropriate Advanced class or close to it. Since I now seem to have only that last block of classes in front of me and (apparently) a lot of game left, how should I develop my characters once they hit their "final" class? This doesn't seem like the type of game where multi-class builds are all that useful (At least on normal, unless balancing changes). Should I just start focusing my prof points on building up the underlevele/ignored/recruited characters? Does it really matter at this point or can I kinda do whatever?
Once your characters aren't working toward classes, your best bet is working toward abilities. It's unlikely anyone not named Lysithea will get anything to S+ rank outside NG+ so there should also be something relevant to work toward.

Authority is a good starting point if you have neglected that, everyone benefits from having that up to at least B rank. A rank has some good stuff too but B rank battalions are generally a significant improvement on C and lower ones.

A+ Armor gives weight -5
A+ Flying gives Alert Stance+ (+30 avo when you wait)
A+ Riding gives Movement +1
A+ in any combat skill maxes out the prowess ability
S in combat skills give a crit bonus ability
S+ gives the associated -faire ability, although you will likely get it innately through your class anyway. The most noteworthy use case is probably Gremory.

Last edited:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Didnt mean to bump. Whoops. Anyways now that im here..

I miss playing the game. Ended up lending my copy to a friend so i can stop playing it and at least start playing astral chain lmao. Three houses is that good i guess. Cant wait to go back to my maddening run

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know is typical, but damn the
fusion with Sothis and the moment where Byleth cut the dimensions to return to the forest
was very awesome.

May 5, 2018
Edlegard in Smash would be cool since she's a lady (and Smash could use more female representation) and isn't a sword FE character and instead wields an axe. Though personally I'd be more excited Claude getting in. He can use his bow for a neutral special, perhaps use a battalion for his side special and for his up and down specials...

He can summon a Wyvern to soar upward since he gets one as a Barbarossa and then for his down special he can scheme up some poison and launch it at an enemy. Heck when he's one a Wyvern he can temporarily attack with his bow in the air and he can choose to stay on the Wyvern for 5 seconds or jump off the Wyvern for extra recovery.

Honestly Claude has some great potential for a Smash moveset now that we've gotten to know him more in the GD playthrough. His final Smash could be Fallen Star by using the Failnaught.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I did the first post-time skip Azure Moon chapter, Reunion at Dawn on Maddening.

HO. LY. SHIT.

That was by far the most brutal thing so far, and I'm so glad I prepared for it ahead of time. I had Battalion Vantage, Battalion Wrath, Swordbreaker, and Lance Prowess on Dimitri with Killer Lance+ (couldn't get him to Lance Crit +10 in time - my fault on that), and Byleth on a Wyvern, and it took me several restarts to make it work. I tried putting Dimitri in the bush right next to his starting position, but he either got eventually swarmed (archers were the problem), or they decided to not all go after him and go for Annette and Mercedes instead. Also, that was some cruel shit giving me my squishy wizards by themselves and withholding Ingrid, Felix and Sylvain, any of which would have been SUPER useful in that initial stage, instead of fucking Gilbert (ended up just having him stay put and not aggro anybody, which left most of the northern troops stationary until I was ready to engage with them, and Ashe could fly out of there on his own). I had Dimitri go to the next closest bushes and stay there, and did hit and run tactics with Byleth on the archers (Lure gambit was great for me), until they were gone, after which Feral God Dimitri couldn't be touched. Ashe had Impregnable Wall, which was a lifesaver a few times, especially since Ashe himself could just retreat after using it to help somebody.

Sword of the Creator did a lot of good work there, especially on those archers. I don't like using it cause of the Rest to restore situation, but it saved me a few times by turning messes into OHKOs.

After the initial enemy rush, it was a lot more manageable, especially with Ingrid and Felix coming back. Marianne is my dancer, so that was missing, and Gilbert was useless, but other than that everyone had their part to play, other than maybe Sylvain, just because of his late entrance.

That was definitely grueling and very dicey, though. If you just walked into that without preparing or without an earlier back up save, that might be game-ending, or at least cost you some units if you're on Classic.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite enjoying my first play through. But I was sort of slacking on the mechanical stuff. Just got to the point where I unlocked the ability to buy silver/killer/etc weapons and I'm wondering should I be paying attention to weight? I've just been using Steel+ on everyone up till now. But Im wondering is it normal to carry multiple weapons e.g. silver for tough foes and steel+ for combat arts is what Im thinking? Is there a weight limit and is it based on carried or equipped?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Quite enjoying my first play through. But I was sort of slacking on the mechanical stuff. Just got to the point where I unlocked the ability to buy silver/killer/etc weapons and I'm wondering should I be paying attention to weight? I've just been using Steel+ on everyone up till now. But Im wondering is it normal to carry multiple weapons e.g. silver for tough foes and steel+ for combat arts is what Im thinking? Is there a weight limit and is it based on carried or equipped?
Weight lowers attack speed. Heavier weapons will do more damage, but you're less likely to double with them.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm at the Combat at Tailtean plains. I've been cruising a long. While there have been some missions where I screwed up and had to use the Devine Pulse, this is the first mission I'm at full stop and can't beat it. The difficulty spike on this level is insane. I hate not finishing games, but I haven't played in the last couple of weeks due to this level. I'm playing Edalgard on Hard/Classic. While I could turn down the difficulty, I'm just annoyed at this level.

Any advice? I don't have any fliers or a caster with Meteor.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I find steel weapons in this game completely useless compared to iron+ weapons. And once you get silver weapons, there's absolutely no reason to be using steel.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I'm at the Combat at Tailtean plains. I've been cruising a long. While there have been some missions where I screwed up and had to use the Devine Pulse, this is the first mission I'm at full stop and can't beat it. The difficulty spike on this level is insane. I hate not finishing games, but I haven't played in the last couple of weeks due to this level. I'm playing Edalgard on Hard/Classic. While I could turn down the difficulty, I'm just annoyed at this level.

Any advice? I don't have any fliers or a caster with Meteor.
What exactly is giving you a problem? Too many monsters appearing, or Rhea's reinforcement wave? If it's the former, taking out as many of the transforming soldiers before they pop help out a ton. Not having fliers is a pain, but you try other things like casting Stride, warping Edelgard to the other side of the river and go ham with Raging Storm.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, I cruised through this entire game with no problems (first FE game) but the final boss on the GD route just annihilated my entire team. Ran out of divine pulse and literally got a game over. What a weird difficulty spike, I barely had any characters die and barely used divine pulse in the 55 hrs leading up to this battle. Too annoyed and don't have enough time to retry it tonight but I welcome any tips.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I cruised through this entire game with no problems (first FE game) but the final boss on the GD route just annihilated my entire team. Ran out of divine pulse and literally got a game over. What a weird difficulty spike, I barely had any characters die and barely used divine pulse in the 55 hrs leading up to this battle. Too annoyed and don't have enough time to retry it tonight but I welcome any tips.
Okay my first question is have you bothered to upgrade your batallions since the start of the game? Because the only e rank battalions that don't suck are Jeralt's mercenaries and the stride battalion. Even C rank battalions will give you significant stat boosts on your characters and the gambits tend to be way better as well.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The Linhardt-Leonie paralogue was a treat. The Immovable One was some great strategic fun. Threw me for a loop that his attacks were magical which kind of turned the logic of monster-fighting upside down, a bizarre experience to leave Hanneman, Linhardt, and Manuela in the pit with the monster while shuffling Byleth and Alois in and out for critical strikes when the shields were broken. Stacking aggressive healing, counterattack, and swift riposte on an absolute tank of a boss was madness but giving him that clean magic weakness made it a strategic thrill rather than a painful slog.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
If Smash needs anything it's more sword wielding Fire Emblem characters.
I mean, would an axe really play that much differently from a sword in Smash? And Byleth's canon class also has magic, which gives options Roy et al don't have. Plus the Sword of the Creator stretches, so arguably she'd play more like a Belmont.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I mean, would an axe really play that much differently from a sword in Smash? And Byleth's canon class also has magic, which gives options Roy et al don't have. Plus the Sword of the Creator stretches, so arguably she'd play more like a Belmont.
I would take a female axe wielder over yet another avatar character using a sword any day. Edelgard can also use magic, so that's not even a differentiator.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
let's not forget that Edelgard would likely be a heavy character that uses more deliberate powerful blows

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
As crazy as it sounds, I don't see more Nintendo characters being added with Smash Ultimate season passes.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Okay my first question is have you bothered to upgrade your batallions since the start of the game? Because the only e rank battalions that don't suck are Jeralt's mercenaries and the stride battalion. Even C rank battalions will give you significant stat boosts on your characters and the gambits tend to be way better as well.

I definitely just needed to utilize gambits more than I did in my first attempt. I have upgraded the battalions quite a bit. Second attempt I killed Nemesis in one turn, with a couple of gambits and then Raphael with the finishing blow with the Freikugel. Pretty easy, can't believe I didn't figure it out first time. like I said though, my first FE and really the first jrpg (or srpg) I've ever even completed.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I posted earlier about Chapter 13, but Chapter 14 was no slouch either. Protecting that lone Ally dude until he could get to the trigger was hard, especially with the flying units, and once an enemy horse started wandering over there, too. I had to send Ingrid from the other side of the map to help Felix and Byleth, while Mercedes had her hands full healing everyone. On the other side of the map, Catherine and Shamir put in some work from the bushes, while Ashe and Annette (who was the only Master Class level unit at the time) were running around picking off people as they could. My biggest issue was that I just didn't have many units with great mobility. I laughed every time an enemy unit targeted my Dancer Marianne, only to watch them miss and Marianne would Levin Sword them in the face twice immediately afterwards. It's really nice having a Dancer/Healer that I don't have to worry about at all.

Investing some Faith in Annette and Sylvain was a great decision, as it turns out. Sylvain gets Physic early, and Annette gets Recover. They're mainly attack units, but having them be able to help Mercedes and Marianne if their load gets too heavy has been very helpful.

Dimitri's low movement is rough, though. I don't want to put the March Ring on him, because the Critical Ring is just too useful. I might use my Movement +1 item on him, since everyone but Catherine and the Healers/Dancer is going to be riding something anyways. Speaking of, I'm just starting to be able to get everyone into Master Classes, and getting Sylvain, Felix, and Shamir on horses will help my mobility problem immensely.