• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Does anyone know where I can find lyrics to the
Apex of the World. It sounds like its Japanese. I just finished Blue Lions and I loved the theme.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Maddening Crimson Flower is done! Some takeaways:

The pegasus reinforcements on CF's final map are kinda nonsense and actively punish you for trying anything besides making a beeline for the boss. Once I figured that out though it was a pretty fun fight, having a 3x3 tile boss with 49 Charm is a uniquely mean-spirited challenge. MVPs were Ferdinand for being literally unhittable by the boss, and Manuela for at least a dozen clutch uses of her personal skill.

I think CF has my favorite set of maps overall. The Great Bridge of Myrddin, Derdriu, Tailtean Plains, and especially Edelgard's paralogue are all top-tier maps, and the omission of dull maps like Reunion at Dawn, the Valley of Torment, and BL Fhirdiad helps keep the game from dragging on a bit too long like it does in the other routes.

Edelgard is the best unit in the game now, Dark Flier opens up a lot of utility for her that she couldn't really access before. She's fast enough to double and can wield her tomes and the Aegis Shield with zero speed penalty, allowing her to tank any threat and retaliate. The Devil Axe juiced with a Lightning Axe combat art will one-hit-KO pretty much any physical unit for most of the game. Dark Flier only requires a C in Flying, so she can easily grab a Fortress Knight and Warlock certification to boost up her Def/Mag. The Bolt Axe gives her easy access to 3-range attacks. And obviously Raging Storm is broken. She does basically everything well and has pushed Claude down to second place, I think.

Also I made a tier list, just to get my thoughts out after four playthroughs:
hLadsU3.png

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Threads thoughts on the Ashen Wolves Paralouges?
In what sense?

Plot-wise they're like most paralogues, pretty crap (Hapi-Balthus is half-fun though).

Gameplay-wise they're like most paralogues, as in a nice change of pace from both main-story mission which aren't always the most inspired and the random encounters which are ... well ... like other random encounters in previous games I'd say.

Also it seems to me they're some of the hardest paralogues (based on their recommended level).

Reinforcements make their comeback but at least I found them well-designed (can't really say the same for CS missions).

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Man, that first post timeskip battle in Silver Snow was hard in maddening mode. I had to go back and replay the previous battle to adjust my characters.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Been getting loads of supports out of the way thanks to the Wayseer, but I've got a lore question about Flayn:

How did the Crest of Cethleann actually get out there? She lampshades it in her support with Linhardt that it shouldn't be possible. My impression of her whole ordeal is she got badly injured in fun wartimes around when Nemesis was up to shit, which made her comatose for years and Seteth went into hiding with her. How did her blood get out in the meantime?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Been getting loads of supports out of the way thanks to the Wayseer, but I've got a lore question about Flayn:

How did the Crest of Cethleann actually get out there? She lampshades it in her support with Linhardt that it shouldn't be possible. My impression of her whole ordeal is she got badly injured in fun wartimes around when Nemesis was up to shit, which made her comatose for years and Seteth went into hiding with her. How did her blood get out in the meantime?
I'm not sure if it's ever clarified that crests are all that unique where they came from. I mean we kinda know how they appeared in mankind but there's no guarantee they were unique where they came from.

So it's possible there can be multiple sources for them.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

We know blood/crests can be given to other people. Rhea gave some of her blood to Jeralt to save his life. If you open his profile in battle (Prologue/Chapter 9) you can see he has a Crest of Seiros.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Hello all, I recently picked this up as my first Fire Emblem game. I just started chapter 4 and I'm absolutely loving it! I can't believe I've been missing out on this game for so long.

I do have one quick question though. This has probably been asked a million times, but I've been having trouble finding a definitive answer. At which point should I play the Cindered Shadows dlc?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Hello all, I recently picked this up as my first Fire Emblem game. I just started chapter 4 and I'm absolutely loving it! I can't believe I've been missing out on this game for so long.

I do have one quick question though. This has probably been asked a million times, but I've been having trouble finding a definitive answer. At which point should I play the Cindered Shadows dlc?
After completing the game once.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

Finish at least one route.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I'm on the presumably last chapter of Blue Lion path (Hegemon) and dying s lot. All my team is Lv. 40-45, is there anything I should be doing to avoid dying or any way I can level up to avoid this?

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Story-wise, Cindered Shadows is implied to occur during the events of Chapter 6: Rumors of a Reaper. There are some discrepancies like how the side-story implies its the first time the DLC characters meet the main cast, while the main game just inserts them right in as if Byleth stumbled into Abyss on their first day as professor. But otherwise it fits.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
How much of Cindered Shadows is really story spoiler aside from going "hey, church is up to some shady shit, huh?" And even then, the explaination that ___Rhea____ gives at the end is only a half-truth. Most everything else are just winks and nods that make sense in hindsight, but don't go out and spoil anything.

Though yes, difficulty-wise CS is a huge bump over the main game. Better be confident in using gambits!

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Story-wise, Cindered Shadows is implied to occur during the events of Chapter 6: Rumors of a Reaper. There are some discrepancies like how the side-story implies its the first time the DLC characters meet the main cast, while the main game just inserts them right in as if Byleth stumbled into Abyss on their first day as professor. But otherwise it fits.
I would say both, but more for story spoilers.
I appreciate the info! I'll hold off on Cindered Shadows until I finish my first route then. So I assume there is no way to get the dlc classes without playing through Cindered Shadows first?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the info! I'll hold off on Cindered Shadows until I finish my first route then. So I assume there is no way to get the dlc classes without playing through Cindered Shadows first?
I believe playing through the first Chapter of Cindered Shadows unlocks the Abyss as a location in the main campaigns, and from there you can potentially get the item to promote to the DLC classes.

However this requires a decent amount of Renown, the main source of which is from NG+.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If you recruit any of the Ashen Wolves, they come with one free promotion items for DLC classes. You unlock their recruitment by completing chapters of the DLC.

For Constance you have to beat chapter 2 of the DLC.
Then chapter 4 for Balthus
Chapter 5 for Hapi
Chapter 6 for Yuri

So you would have to dip your toes a bit further into the DLC and beat two chapters if you wanted to grab Constance and a free promotion item.

Oceanwind

Oct 27, 2017
Claude's real name revealed in Nintendo Dream.
Looks like Claude's real name is Khalid

Oceanwind

Oct 27, 2017
Since he's from Almyra, I'm assuming he took on a new name when he came to Fodlan.

Edit: He also hints in the DLC that Claude is not his real name.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Verdant Wind confirmed to be a copy of Silver Snow.
yks160519.tumblr.com

some Q&A answers I thought were interesting (from Nintendo DREAM 2020/05 issue)

Major spoilers if you haven’t played the game and DLC (and beware of spoilers that weren’t in the game) & Major Claude Spoilers please go and buy the...
Sounds like a good amount of Golden Deer content was scrapped. Apparently they had intended to reveal Claude's real name (Khalid) in the game.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So Crimson Flower was indeed intended to be a "hidden route." It's so bizarre, then, that Edelgard was the face of most of the marketing. It makes sense on some level, since she is arguably the most important character in the game, but still...

On another note -- they've said that there's no more planned DLC. And yet, here they say things will remain a secret "for now." Does that mean they intend a prequel/sequel...?

More translated Q&A:

yks160519.tumblr.com

THE WALNUT

Extra stuff that were also interesting: When did Edelgard undergo the crest experiments? Why does she get the same crest as the main character? -There wasn’t any other text in the game to suggest the...

-Regarding Edelgard bearing the same crest as the MC, this is because initially Edelgard was going to become the MC's rival on an equal plane. Scenarios such as when the MC was stopping time, Edelgard suddenly appeared in that space to interfere with the MC…would have been interesting but we never got to delve any deeper into that.

So much was cut from this game. It's such a pity.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game must have had a more troubled development than we thought. It's a good thing it ended up being a great game regardless.

It makes sense that CF is the hidden "what-if" scenario where you side with the villain, as all other routes have the same backdrop where you're fighting against the Arestian Empire.

Wish they kept Claude's real name reveal in the game.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
So Crimson Flower was indeed intended to be a "hidden route." It's so bizarre, then, that Edelgard was the face of most of the marketing. It makes sense on some level, since she is arguably the most important character in the game, but still...

On another note -- they've said that there's no more planned DLC. And yet, here they say things will remain a secret "for now." Does that mean they intend a prequel/sequel...?

More translated Q&A:

yks160519.tumblr.com

THE WALNUT

Extra stuff that were also interesting: When did Edelgard undergo the crest experiments? Why does she get the same crest as the main character? -There wasn’t any other text in the game to suggest the...

By time the marketing really started I'd imagine the plans had already changed.

But Edelgard would have been even more of a focus in the marketing if we got something like that original draft, because the other two house leaders would have just been side characters without their own routes.

Sounds like the original plan was simply one story where Edelgard was Arvis 2.0.

And then they probably started thinking of a hidden route where we side with her. And then they thought to give the other two house leaders their own routes as well, and poor Claude didn't have enough time to get a route that was more his own.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Oh wow, never expected Silver Snow to be the "first" route. I thought for sure they started with Azure Moon given that Blue Lions get so much focus in part 1. I'm glad they made it easier to choose Crimson Flower, would've been annoying if the game forced you into SS when choosing BE.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the most surprising part of that interview is that Adrestria is based on Italy and not the Holy Roman Empire. I've long held the opinion that it seemed like the devs intended the choice of siding with Edelgard to be a leap of faith. And my run through VW gave me the strong impression it was mostly based on SS with the Golden Deer stapled on.

The idea of Edelgard interfering with the player's divine pulse sounds rad as hell though. It would probably just be a story beat, but imagine if she would just warp in as an optional boss if you abused DP too much on a map.

I appreciate confirmation that the certain book in the Abyss library is indeed true. Some people were trying to dismiss it entirely.

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
Is that article hinting at a prequel? Considering that I believe they said there were other reasons for inhibiting technology that they are keeping secret.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I still realllllly want a sequel. Loved this cast too much. Prequel's a lot more likely, though.

How's this, Byleth Just Fuckin' Dies route where you knock your head on a rock and die after choosing Edelgard. Three factions locked in stalemate moving forward.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's not really surprising that the game ended up pretty different than what was originally intended. That's pretty common really.

It's kinda funny that they confirm SS being the "original" route though (something which seemed obvious to me but whatever) and I can't say I'm really surprised that the whole game was about fighting you-know-who but having the (hidden) option to "side with the bad guys".

Taking to myself: AM fans must be pissed lol

That being said it's kinda weird that they basically started with a two-sided route but ended with three "different" routes with a bonus one. Not sure what happened or what they originally intended to do with these three lords. Oh well. Game's out now, might as well play it 🤷‍♀️

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

More translated Q&A:

yks160519.tumblr.com

THE WALNUT

IS wanted players to love Edelgard so they could feel betrayed by the Flame Emperor reveal.
Silver Snow is supposed to be the tragic route.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Silver Snow is supposed to be the tragic route.
Well, that's kind of what it is.

SS is the "tragedy" route (up to and including the final final boss, not to mention the fact that the final battle basically confirmed that the one character that you ended up supporting was an utter shithead).

AM is the "wtf are we doing here" route (seriously it's the route where you learn jack shit except some tidbits about Edelgard and Dimitri childhood and basically solve nothing in the end).

VW is the "joke" route (seriously everything in this route feels like out of the 60's Batman TV show, including an out of nowhere happy ending).

CF is the "bonus" route (which may or may not be canon depending on your taste).

On a side note, I find funny that the "bonus" route is the one that's the most thematically consistent (one day I'll take three hours to write an essay about it...)

Last edited:

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
There is no canon.

If they did a direct sequel (I feel a prequel is more likely, especially after this interview), it would most likely not be in Fodlan (most likely Claude and friends in Almyra/some other country). Edelgard, Dimitri and Byleth would definitely not be in it, and they would just refer to the events as some war that unified Fodlan, with no hint at the victor.

Honestly I would like an Almyra game, it seems from here that VW was really shafted and was actually the rushed thrown together at the last minute route that people thought CF was.

There is no canon.

If they did a direct sequel (I feel a prequel is more likely, especially after this interview), it would most likely not be in Fodlan (most likely Claude and friends in Almyra/some other country). Edelgard, Dimitri and Byleth would definitely not be in it, and they would just refer to the events as some war that unified Fodlan, with no hint at the victor.

Honestly I would like an Almyra game, it seems from here that VW was really shafted and was actually the rushed thrown together at the last minute route that people thought CF was.

Nah.

If there another game no one from the original should show up

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
this will never happen but I'd love a retelling of Crimson Flower as its own game

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I really hope they break from the recent trend of one-offs and give us another game in the same setting. Best world and cast in a long time so I want to see more.

Prequel, interquel, Claude sequel, or CF sequel that lets us play the epilogue, please.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
New Fodlin game where instead of ever visiting the monestary, Ike shows up one day and joins Jeralt's mercenaries as we fight against every faction once the war starts.

Minus the Ike half joke, a Jeralt path separate from the monestary is what I'd like to see the most if we ever get another story in this world. Cindered Shadows ended up doing something close to that, but was too short and self contained.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
IF they ever make a sequel - and I doubt they will because their is so much player investment in each chosen route - I would be interested in a game that takes place in post-CF Fodlan a few generations into the future. With the fall of the church meaning they can no longer hold back the progress of society, it might lead to a sudden rush of technological breakthroughs that no one anticipated or knows how to deal with. IS has long been kicking around the idea of a modern-day FE since Awakening, and maybe that's how we get there, or something close to it. Think the jump between Avatar: the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
IF they ever make a sequel - and I doubt they will because their is so much player investment in each chosen route - I would be interested in a game that takes place in post-CF Fodlan a few generations into the future. With the fall of the church meaning they can no longer hold back the progress of society, it might lead to a sudden rush of technological breakthroughs that no one anticipated or knows how to deal with. IS has long been kicking around the idea of a modern-day FE since Awakening, and maybe that's how we get there, or something close to it. Think the jump between Avatar: the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.
I mean what will happen is simply the pre-Sothis TWSID era.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
New Fodlin game where instead of ever visiting the monestary, Ike shows up one day and joins Jeralt's mercenaries as we fight against every faction once the war starts.

Minus the Ike half joke, a Jeralt path separate from the monestary is what I'd like to see the most if we ever get another story in this world. Cindered Shadows ended up doing something close to that, but was too short and self contained.

Oh hey, a game with Jeralt as the lord might be a good way to actually make me retroactively care about him in 3H.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, a game with Jeralt as the lord might be a good way to actually make me retroactively care about him in 3H.
He's one of the biggest wasted potential to me in the game.
I could tell he was going to fill Greil's role from the second I saw him, and that was a shame since he had an interesting reason to not trust the church that could have been fleshed out a lot more.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes that interview...

Definitely gives much food for thought. Also confirms a few things I had pondered for some time.

I appreciate Kusakihara for revealing some things I wanted answers on.

A real shame about certain other things but well... I hope the next game won't share a similar fate.

Nice to get confirmation Claude does infact survive in SS. While there were hints, i'd rather not let it be up in the air.

Well. Back to playing FE obsessively till the next game comes out.