• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh

There's a 0% chance Sothis's original form isn't a grown ass woman who's drop dead gorgeous

This is IS

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
what if the sword is her dragon form spine.
All of the Heroic Relics are pretty clearly from their non-human forms. What part of the human body would this come from
latest
for example

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my first route through the game, which was Black Eagles siding with Edelgard. I saved before making the choice and decided that I didn't want to lose Edel and Hubert, who I had focused on leveling up, plus Rhea always seemed a little deranged. I'm guessing in the other routes they don't turn Rhea into a revenge-obsessed ranting madman but if they do that's really interesting! There was plenty of weird disconnects (Edel and Monica were co-conspirators but it's never mentioned again? What was up with the Death Knight?) that I'm hoping are explained in the other paths. Then again, I LOVED hearing Manuela's short bit about "the Death Knight came up and apologized for stabbing me! Nicest guy you'll ever meet." I feel like I went with the weirdest route first, but that also just makes me want to experience it again from a different perspective.

I think the mechanic of the 4 possible routes is really smart, because you get glimpses of what's going on elsewhere and you're curious to seek them out later, but it's pretty intimidating to play through a 50-hour campaign and then face the prospect of doing that three more times. Hopefully new game plus speeds things up a bit?

What do ya'll recommend I do next? I still have my pre-choice save so I could go back and redo BE siding with Rhea, but I think I'd rather do a NG+ with another house.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my first route through the game, which was Black Eagles siding with Edelgard. I saved before making the choice and decided that I didn't want to lose Edel and Hubert, who I had focused on leveling up, plus Rhea always seemed a little deranged. I'm guessing in the other routes they don't turn Rhea into a revenge-obsessed ranting madman but if they do that's really interesting! There was plenty of weird disconnects (Edel and Monica were co-conspirators but it's never mentioned again? What was up with the Death Knight?) that I'm hoping are explained in the other paths. Then again, I LOVED hearing Manuela's short bit about "the Death Knight came up and apologized for stabbing me! Nicest guy you'll ever meet." I feel like I went with the weirdest route first, but that also just makes me want to experience it again from a different perspective.

I think the mechanic of the 4 possible routes is really smart, because you get glimpses of what's going on elsewhere and you're curious to seek them out later, but it's pretty intimidating to play through a 50-hour campaign and then face the prospect of doing that three more times. Hopefully new game plus speeds things up a bit?

What do ya'll recommend I do next? I still have my pre-choice save so I could go back and redo BE siding with Rhea, but I think I'd rather do a NG+ with another house.

Might as well go Golden Deer to get a really different perspective.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished the Crimson Flower route on hard/Classic. I really enjoyed the story but I get the feeling that I have to play the other 3 routes to get the full picture.

Is there a lot of variation in events with the other routes or is it mostly just a different perspective of the same story? I hope it's the latter.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the Crimson Flower route on hard/Classic. I really enjoyed the story but I get the feeling that I have to play the other 3 routes to get the full picture.

Is there a lot of variation in events with the other routes or is it mostly just a different perspective of the same story? I hope it's the latter.

Well since you played CF your next route will be pretty different and longer. Specifically, the other three routes share a lot of maps and objectives but they have different storylines.

I would suggest you go for Golden Deer next. It's the most different from CF and will fill in a lot of the blanks as far as the lore is concerned.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's a bit of both. Crimson Flower is the most "original" route of the three. Those three other routes share a number of maps, objectives, and plot events. The plot itself still has some differences, and namely the final boss is different for each route (note that Crimson Flower final boss is shared with one of those three other routes). But for those three other routes, don't except an entirely different story, especially as far as gameplay is concerned. But again, each of those three is relatively different than Crimson Flower.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.. is it exactly bad that dubstep only has one map.

I recall Black Fang in FE7 being set up as this evil cult and yet it was practically an army because those are the only guys you really caught.

It's more true to form on how small, and yet dangerous they are

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm.. is it exactly bad that dubstep only has one map.

I recall Black Fang in FE7 being set up as this evil cult and yet it was practically an army because those are the only guys you really caught.

It's more true to form on how small, and yet dangerous they are
I dunno the more I think about it the more I feel they shouldn't have these "secret base" levels. They probably mostly operate as splinter cells and as such really shouldn't be gathered all in one place (even the plot writes it that way).

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno the more I think about it the more I feel they shouldn't have these "secret base" levels. They probably mostly operate as splinter cells and as such really shouldn't be gathered all in one place (even the plot writes it that way).

You're not the boss of the ones who slither... *Gasp* OR ARE YOU?!

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
How much you wanna bet that it was Edelgard's idea to call them 'those who slither in the dark'?

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
They did a good job in this game by making all 3 endings seem like a true ending I thought. Though it's funny because I consider Edelgard's to be the least true ending-y.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

They were living secretly underground because after their war with the children of the goddess they've hid with the advanced technology from that time (that Sothis brought to the world). Rhea pretty much tells you Sothis brought "gifts" (advanced tech) to the world but the people from that place rebelled (Agarthan? sp) against her and came up with ways to turn fallen gods into weapons. Their secret base is simply the remnant from such time they've continued to develop through the years while devising a plan to kill them all once and for all. It's also why they have a different skin complexion and why they don't want their body to be left behind to be studied.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
y'all ever think about how wild it is that sothis is literally an alien, from outer space the blue sea star which is definitely not going to turn out to be Earth

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hubert is also the only guy that makes "Those who slither in the dark" sound threatening

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
y'all ever think about how wild it is that sothis is literally an alien, from outer space the blue sea star which is definitely not going to turn out to be Earth
I bet it's a Dragonriders of Pern situation.

(It's probably not but man how wild would *that* be for a sequel)

Edit: HOLY SHIT 3H and Pern also both have dragons with time powers what the fuck

suracity

Nov 6, 2017
I finished my GD play through last night, man Nemesis is difficult! (I have to lower the difficulty at the last moment of the game damn)

One character moment got me unexpectedly is actually Hilda before the final battle. She lamented her brother for fighting Nemesis to buy time for the troops and got severely injured. She is pissed and said she can't imagine devoting her life into some cause.

Little does Hilda know, she is the one protecting Claude on a bridge after Claude evacuates the city. Facing hordes of enemies and trusting Claude's plan to work that BL allies will arrive.
She is also the one who fights to the death and won't give up in the BE route.

I want to pat Hilda's head.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I've finished BL and I'm basically in need of someone to please summarise the plot of this game for me. I still intend to play through BE and GD so I'd rather not be spoiled about them if at all possible but yeah I am just quite confused about the plot. Who was/is Byleth? Why was Jeralt so afraid of Rhea and why did he return to the Monestary with Byleth if that was the reason he left in the first place? What exactly were Edelgard's motivations? Who was her enemy? The Church? But then why didn't she execute their leader? What exactly was the plan behind the incident(s) that led to the Duscur tragedy? What was Edelgard intending to do as her identity as the Flame Emperor? And how did that differ/align with the Death Knight, Solon et all? Who exactly was the Death Knight? And who were the mages who were not official members of Adrestia in the final battle?

I honestly feel like I was asleep for the plot points so confused am I right now but I swear I wasn't. I'm just a bit disappointed is all that Edelgard just basically turned into a monster and claimed that there could only be one ruler of the world or something. I was hoping that things would be more nuanced than that. Will I find the answers in the BE or GD routes or was there some nuances that I'm clearly missing already explained?

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like I was asleep for the plot points so confused am I right now but I swear I wasn't. I'm just a bit disappointed is all that Edelgard just basically turned into a monster and claimed that there could only be one ruler of the world or something. I was hoping that things would be more nuanced than that. Will I find the answers in the BE or GD routes or was there some nuances that I'm clearly missing already explained?
You haven't missed anything. Most of your questions are answered in the other routes. What exactly happened in Duscar is ambiguous but you can piece it together once other routes shed more light on things. The Death Knight'a identity is revealed in blue lions if you meet the right requirements; but if you don't want to be spoiled you might still learn it on other paths.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
BL path is honestly the most extreme version of Edelgard and turns her into literally your stock evil final boss monster who wants to take over the world, it isn't even about fixing Fodlan at that point or whatever values she claimed to have because she threw them all away when she became that monster and Dimitri says as much if you have him fight her. Like at that point you could only support her if you thought the idea of the world being ruled by an evil monster was cool and you were blinded by hate for the church/Rhea.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
My second playthrough I was glad to see that Edelgard didn't know what they were going to do in Remire and openly threatened TTSITD after that.
Wasn't enough to make her look good.
Far from it.

I just cant like her in any scenario.
I mean, she says she'd sacrifice civilians for the "greater good".

She makes it look like she's the only one who suffered and has every right to kill whoever she wants.

And I won't mention stuff like Lysithea's past because it makes Edelgard look even more ridiculously bad.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the time-skip isn't really handled well. "What've you been doing all this time? Sleeping." ... and the students just randomly remembered that promise and thought "Hmmmm, i should go to the ruined and forsaken monastery just as promised, in the middle of the war, without even knowing if anyone else is still alive." ... okay. Should've started with Seteth/Knights of Seiros and have the students rejoin in the next two story maps. Maybe even by in-combat-recruiting.

And add me to the list of people who think that they should've used this "prison of eternal darkness" from Solon for the time-skip, and not just for super-saiyan the Byleths.

Also, doing the church route, the bit with Edelgard before Seteth finds you ... like ... you two could've finished it right there. Would've been better if she wasn't there to begin with, seemingly alone.

Hubert is also the only guy that makes "Those who slither in the dark" sound threatening

To be fair, Hubert could make a marriage proposal sound threatening. He's like the Ice Cube of FE in this regard.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the time-skip isn't really handled well. "What've you been doing all this time? Sleeping." ... and the students just randomly remembered that promise and thought "Hmmmm, i should go to the ruined and forsaken monastery just as promised, in the middle of the war, without even knowing if anyone else is still alive." ... okay. Should've started with Seteth/Knights of Seiros and have the students rejoin in the next two story maps. Maybe even by in-combat-recruiting.

And add me to the list of people who think that they should've used this "prison of eternal darkness" from Solon for the time-skip, and not just for super-saiyan the Byleths.

Also, doing the church route, the bit with Edelgard before Seteth finds you ... like ... you two could've finished it right there. Would've been better if she wasn't there to begin with, seemingly alone.

To be fair, Hubert could make a marriage proposal sound threatening. He's like the Ice Cube of FE in this regard.

This reminds me of how if you just read the roster for the Golden Deer students you probably wouldn't even think there was a war going on. I think almost every one of them just goes back to their ordinary lives after the battle at the monastery? As if none of their friends from other countries were dying out there in the war.

Also while Chapter 13 has some narrative purpose in BL in GD it just feels like filler. "Let's go get some exercise by killing some random bandits" ?????

Honestly the eternal darkness place would've made sense for the timeskip, you can even explain away how long Byleth was there with time being wonky in that realm.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019

There are a lot or things that arent handled well. The pacing and scope are at a huge mismatch and all because they focused too much on the monastery and on telling about events rather than showing them

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Is BE 2nd route worth the bother if i didnt save before the decision or should i just play the other houses?

That depends on which route is your second. It wouldn't be worth returning to do Silver Snow, due to all it shares with Blue Lions and especially Golden Deer, but Crimson Flower might be worth going back to finish if it was the one you didn't do first.

I didn't find CH13 that bad for BL / GD, keeping in mind their requirements to give almost all of your army back at once, but I agree that Silver Snow felt disjointed - technically, Edelgard could have been going back and forth from the encampment Randolph and Fleche were stationed at, but it feels much messier.

Maybe Seteth passed her in a hallway and only noticed five minutes later that they were at war and she wasn't a student anymore.

Crimson Flower is even worse with it not even really seeming like five years went past - if they could set them apart more, not doing the ravine thing for all of them and instead have Rhea capture Byleth and spend all that time unsuccessfully trying to extract Sothis' heart before Edelgard and co. can finally track them down and free her (or something to that effect) would actually make use of the skip in the same way as BL/GD/even SS have to rebuild the monastery and knights.

Also, I feel like such an idiot for only now getting why it's Divine Pulse.