• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How will FE:TH do on MC?

• 100-95

• 94-90

• 89-85

• 84-80

• 75-79

• Bomba

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I'm still bummed I think they showed off the worst of the Deer students, Lysithea or Marianne with Lorenz and Hilda would have been way better than Raphael or Leonie, but I guess they wanted a 50/50 commoner noble split maybe

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Claude's voice actor is damn good. After hearing that last line I can see why anyone would be frustrated if they couldn't romance Claude. I still say we should hold out hope, as all of these previewers are under embargo for anything past part 1, and we have no idea how things change post timeskip. I believe we were told at some point that the actual conversations change depending on if you have the support convo before or after timeskip, so it's possible some characters that weren't initially able to reach S-rank with, will be now.

It could also be a bit more along the lines of old games where you could only support with certain other characters, or only certain supports would lead to a special ending. For example, in FE7 Hector could reach A Rank with Lyn, Farina, & Florina, but there isn't any evidence of their relationship until the postgame credits really. So just because a relationship isn't explicit in game doesn't mean you can't build a relationship that will reflect in a character's "ending".

idk, maybe I'm grasping at straws, but it feels like people are speaking with a bit too much certainty about how the supports will actually work in this game and for the time being I want to stay optimistic.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Claude is just amazing and I'm excited to play through his path, but I'm still going with Edelgard first.

Also, I'll gladly pay for Claude gay-marriage DLC, Nintendo. Your move.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Has that Japanese reviewer talking about maps actually beat each house? Seems unlikely with how little everyone else has done so far. I would take map discussion with a grain of salt at this point as we've seen some interesting maps despite the initial leak suggesting middling to bad maps.

She was referring to japanese previews. So it's not necessarily her impression, just what she's heard. She was personally disappointed with the map design where she was in the story (Black Eagles).

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
An interesting to note about Claude's character, Byleth's comment upon meeting him is that his smile doesn't reach his eyes, and his friendliness can be extrapolated to be a facade. This video is pretty consistent with that, even though he is in a joking mood, he doesn't speak about his classmates nearly as familiarly as Dimitri does with his classmates. It fits with his schemer persona as well

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
She was referring to japanese previews. So it's not necessarily her impression, just what she's heard. She was personally disappointed with the map design where she was in the story (Black Eagles).
she did say that once the beasts started coming in, it was a big difficulty spike and she was enjoying it more

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that in her preview, she lamented that the new games don't have maps as brutal as Thracia 776, which is perhaps an unrealistic desire.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Honestly the gameplay after Fire Emblem Echoes is not very dependent on map design, unlike most FE games before Awakening. the gameplay is closer now to something like FF Tactics where levels and classes play a big role more than the map design or hitting the weakness of your opponent based on the triangle system, so I'm not really that worried. I'm sure the game will have its share of great maps too.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that in her preview, she lamented that the new games don't have maps as brutal as Thracia 776, which is perhaps an unrealistic desire.

I didn't get that far but lmao, that's hilarious.

Also, Claude is by far the most entertaining Lord. He'd be an instant pick if his actual house wasn't so uninteresting. Also, a house specializing in archery has to be the least appealing idea ever for an FE game lol.

An interesting to note about Claude's character, Byleth's comment upon meeting him is that his smile doesn't reach his eyes, and his friendliness can be extrapolated to be a facade. This video is pretty consistent with that, even though he is in a joking mood, he doesn't speak about his classmates nearly as familiarly as Dimitri does with his classmates. It fits with his schemer persona as well

If I had to guess, since they're an alliance without a king, there's a lot of scheming and backstabbing to become the actual "ruling" family. Been wanting to learn more about the setup of the Alliance, since it's weird that they have no king, yet do have a "ruling family" that is passed down within the family.

I have a feeling Claude's family pulled some schemes to take power. That's why it doesn't really seem like anyone else likes Claude all that much.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Thracia's maps weren't that good, the difficulty sometimes was due to pure BS conditions (I'm looking at you Saias).
Still, I'm glad to hear about hard mode. That confirms it for me, my first run will be with the Golden Deers, on hard/classic.

Now if only the 26th would get here quickly!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get that far but lmao, that's hilarious.

Also, Claude is by far the most entertaining Lord. He'd be an instant pick if his actual house wasn't so uninteresting. Also, a house specializing in archery has to be the least appealing idea ever for an FE game lol.
Yeah, Archers tend to be one of the worst weapon types in FE

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going with Claude because he's brown (also I like the characters he spotlighted in that vid).

Do we have a list of which characters can and can't be recruited away from the other houses?

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I was staunch at start Blue Lions but Golden Deer intrigue me quite a bit with how Claude is shaping up, and his house is pretty solid. I think I'll stick with Blue Lions and then Golden Deer, but it's such a close choice which to do first.

If Claude has a great post-timeskip battle animation like that Dimitri has in that commercial it may convince to switch.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going with Claude because he's brown (also I like the characters he spotlighted in that vid).

Do we have a list of which characters can and can't be recruited away from the other houses?
Everyone save the Lords and their retainers (Hubert, Dedue, Hilda).
What's the buff? 1-2 range?
Extra range and damage generally, plus some killer combat arts from the look of it. Plus being able to use melee weapons gives them a fallback. And easier access to 1 range bows.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone save the Lords and their retainers (Hubert, Dedue, Hilda).

Extra range and damage generally, plus some killer combat arts from the look of it. Plus being able to use melee weapons gives them a fallback.
I mean the biggest problem with bows is that they're generally not great during enemy phase, so I think having more options during player phase doesn't patch their weaknesses enough. Especially since I'm sure that like in past FE games, they'll be limited to their last used weapon when attacked so if you attacked with a bow you'll be more vulnerable even if the unit can use another weapon

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was between Red and Yellow and I think I've been swayed by today's Twitter video. Golden Deer it shall be!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What's the buff? 1-2 range?

Bows get an ability that allows them to counter at melee range, eliminating their chief series-long weakness: lack of enemy phase capacity. Additionally, Archers get a class ability that extends their range by 1. Further, bows get Combat Arts that allow them to shoot even farther — up to 6 tiles away, IIRC — at a penalty to accuracy for each tile beyond their normal range.

So instead of being a locked 2 range weapon, bows now have a potential range of 1-6.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the biggest problem with bows is that they're generally not great during enemy phase, so I think having more options during player phase doesn't patch their weaknesses enough. Especially since I'm sure that like in past FE games, they'll be limited to their last used weapon when attacked so if you attacked with a bow you'll be more vulnerable even if the unit can use another weapon
We'll see about the player vs enemy phase balance. The ability to see who enemy units are going to attack next trun makes me think it'll be a lot easier to manage aggro, which would empower bows a lot since you don't have to worry about them being rushed. The extra range is going to help with that, too.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bows get an ability that allows them to counter at melee range, eliminating their chief series-long weakness: lack of enemy phase capacity. Additionally, Archers get a class ability that extends their range by 1. Further, bows get Combat Arts that allow them to shoot even farther — up to 5 tiles away, IIRC — at a penalty to accuracy for each tile beyond their normal range.

So instead of being a locked 2 range weapon, bows now have a potential range of 1-5.
Does their melee counter ability work on enemy phase, or is it a combat art which will likely only work on player phase?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Works on EP. Passive equippable ability, not a combat art.
Yeah, found it on serenes, that definitely helps a ton, though it might also depend a bit on how far into the bow levels you need to go to get it, and what other skills are worth using since I think you can only equip 5 total, so having to use a skill slot just to make the weapon type not utter garbage might not be worth it. But we'll see

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
qfl56iwqsfa31.png

Man, Hubert is so over the top.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really sad that Hilda seems to be more of a physical unit because I really want to make her a super mage for the authentic Serra experience.
There was this one-off thing that one of the presenters during the E3 Treehouse demo said. She said that sometimes, forcing a character to branch out and learn something they are uncomfortable with could end up with serious gains or something to that effect. I wonder how true that is.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I'm really sad that Hilda seems to be more of a physical unit because I really want to make her a super mage for the authentic Serra experience.
Frankly the authentic Serra experience would be beating bullies over the head with her staff, so Hilda doing it with axes is perfect.
f49.jpg

There was this one-off thing that one of the presenters during the E3 Treehouse demo said. She said that sometimes, forcing a character to branch out and learn something they are uncomfortable with could end up with serious gains or something to that effect. I wonder how true that is.
Yeah those are budding talents, characters can start out bad or neutral at a skill but if they keep studying they'll become good at it and unlock stuff. IGN lists them in the character profiles if you want to go see. Mostly it's neutral skills, but Felix is bad at Reason magic and Lysithea is bad at Swords, but they both have hidden talents in them.

Last edited:

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Man golden deer has the most interesting bunch. The other two houses seem to be predictable
Nah, Blue Lions definitely have the most interesting dynamics with each other. You have a group of childhood friends, some of which are drifting apart, a retainer whose history with his lord is really tenuous and causes friction between him and Ingrid. Ashe and Sylvain both have family members that are directly plot relevant, with Lonato's rebellion being the first arc of the game, and Sylvain's brother being disowned and becoming a black beast. Plus Mercedes is a former noble from the Empire, and Jeritza may be her father or brother, and Annette possibly being abandoned by Gilbert. The Blue Lions just have so much going on for them, they're easily my favorite house.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, Eurogamer Spain's preview article says — and then emphatically reaffirms — that there are four paths, four games in one, not three. Some google translate quotes:

No one is better than anyone, every house has advantages and disadvantages, there is no correct option. Whichever faction is chosen we will regret it, because they are all over charisma and it is really easy to identify favorites here and there, and above all because we are talking about the type of decision that profoundly conditions everything that will come later.

From a certain moment things go wrong, and what awaits us later are up to four branches of an argument that is not limited to recycling scenarios and events from different points of view. From Nintendo they talk about completely independent story lines, new scenarios and finally four (I repeat, there are surprises in this sense) games in one, as seen so far, the complexity of the dialogues, the amount of actors in play and the immense work that breathes every detail of the world the feeling is that they do not joke at all.

(If someone fluent could provide better translations, that'd be rad.)

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer España said:
Y es que, recogiendo el espíritu de exceso y escala medida a borbotones que la serie ya ensayara en Fates, lo que aquí se propone es, ante todo, una decisión: norte, sur, este; águilas, leones, ciervos; azul, negro, dorado. Son los colores, los distintivos y las procedencias de las tres casas que se dan cita en el monasterio, y también los tres vértices de un nuevo triángulo que recoge las enseñanzas del original. Nadie es mejor que nadie, cada casa tiene ventajas e inconvenientes, no existe una opción correcta. Sea cual sea la facción elegida nos vamos a arrepentir, porque todas van sobradas de carisma y es realmente fácil identificar favoritos aquí y allá, y sobre todo porque hablamos del tipo de decisión que condiciona profundamente todo lo que vendrá después.
And gathering the feeling of excess and scales that the series tried with Fates, what is proposed here is, before anything, a decision: north, south, east, eagles, lions, deers, blue, black, gold. Those are the colors, the emblems, and the origin of the three houses that come together at the monastery, and also the three vertices of a new triangle that gathers the teachings of the original game. No one is better than anyone, each house has advantages and disadvantages, there is no single right choice. Whatever faction we choose, we'll regret it, because all have charisma to spare and its quite easy to choose favorites here and there, and mainly because we're talking about the kind of decision that heavily conditions everything that will come after it.

Eurogamer España said:
A partir de cierto momento las cosas se tuercen, y lo que nos espera después son hasta cuatro ramas de un argumento que no se limita a reciclar escenarios y acontecimientos desde diferentes puntos de vista. Desde Nintendo hablan de líneas argumentales completamente independientes, de escenarios nuevos y a fin de cuentas de hasta cuatro (repito, hay sorpresas en este sentido) juegos en uno, y a tenor de lo visto hasta ahora, de la complejidad de los diálogos, la cantidad de actores en juego y el inmenso trabajo que traspira cada detalle del mundo la sensación es que no bromean en absoluto.

Starting from a certain moment, things start twisting and what awaits us after are up to four branches of a story that doesn't limit itself to recycling scenarios and events from different points of view. Nintendo speaks of completely independent stories, new scenarios and up to four games in one (I repeat, there are surprises regarding this), and considering what we've seen until now, of the dialogue's complexity, the amount of characters involved and the inmense work reflected in every detail of the world, we feel they are not kidding at all.

So, up to four stories in one game plus surprises.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
thani is like prometheus, both in that they brought us fire from mount olympus in the form of leaks and that they've likely been tied to a rock by nintendo's ninjas so they can be disemboweled by an eagle

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
What makes me happy about this is that its not a hidden thing like Revelations, the fact that its available from the start lends credence to the fact that its just another outcome, and not a perfect ending

Status
Not open for further replies.