• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How will FE:TH do on MC?

• 100-95

• 94-90

• 89-85

• 84-80

• 75-79

• Bomba

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
'tis kinda true, which bums me out. Some people I know (who aren't necessarily dedicated FE fans, but played some of the 3DS games) weren't even aware that there's a time skip, and kinda gave up following the game after the initial reveal, and apparently also haven't seen a single ad for it to set the record straight (I told them.)

Lucky them. I wish that element of the plot was kept a surprise. Would have been a great twist to discover that during the course of the game.

I think marketing for the game has been as good as any other Nintendo game. I'm seeing lots of ads on social media.

Super pumped for release tomorrow. No idea who I'll be picking for my first round.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Just curious, but what was terrible about the marketing?

I feel like I've gotten a pretty good idea of the game across the trailers, Twitter news, E3/Treehouse/Direct/etc. I mean, I've been playing FE since they came out on GBA, so I didn't really need a lot of info to know this is for me, but I don't necessarily feel Nintendo's kept this under wraps or anything.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The problem is that the game got delayed and it had to compete with SMM2 for attention of the marketing team. It isn't a coincidence that the marketing ramped up after SMM2 released
Oh yeah, for sure. I actually totally forgot about the fact that it even got delayed in the first place. It makes sense then.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
What more exactly do you think they could have done?
More videos like this but for their western audience

More social media exposition, they ramped up marketing the last month sure, like Nintendo always does, but they didn't even showcase all the students in their videos. Website was updated way too late, and the treehouse demo didn't even show all the mechanics in the game. 30 minutes wasn't enough imo

The E3 2019 trailer was amazing, I'll admit that.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
More videos like this but for their western audience

More social media exposition, they ramped up marketing the last month sure, like Nintendo always does, but they didn't even showcase all the students in their videos. Website was updated way too late, and the treehouse demo didn't even show all the mechanics in the game. 30 minutes wasn't enough imo

The E3 2019 trailer was amazing, I'll admit that.

It being better in Japan than in the West doesn't make the Western marketing "terrible." If anything it's just that the Japanese marketing was exceptional. Could Western marketing have been better? Absolutely. Was it better than most of us have come to expect for Fire Emblem games in the West? I think so, between treehouse, big portion of a direct, a good # of tweets & ads, etc...

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Marketing was so good that it managed to make the FE fanbase not be mean to each for a month

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the marketing could have been improved in the west, but generally speaking I think NCL does marketing much better than NoA/NoE period. Just giving all their major franchises social media accounts helps give them more identity, compared in the west where everything is through the main NoA/NoE account.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
It being better in Japan than in the West doesn't make the Western marketing "terrible." If anything it's just that the Japanese marketing was exceptional. Could Western marketing have been better? Absolutely. Was it better than most of us have come to expect for Fire Emblem games in the West? I think so, between treehouse, big portion of a direct, a good # of tweets & ads, etc...
Alright, "terrible" was a poor choice of a word but it wasn't the best they could've done. Maybe I'm letting my FE hardcore self do the talking here :P

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the marketing could have been improved in the west, but generally speaking I think NCL does marketing much better than NoA/NoE period. Just giving all their major franchises social media accounts helps give them more identity, compared in the west where everything is through the main NoA/NoE account.
It certainly helps that NCL has much more freedom than NoE and NoA

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I mean we all knew that they were going to focus on MMaker until after it was released.

The one thing I I will say about this genre, its pretty hard to market the genre to nonfans of the genre (see all the fire emblem hate in smash). Everybody here was already extremely primed for this game.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing for this stuff has limited return on investment. They just have to hit the right pockets and hope that quality and word of mouth elevate it.

The Direct was a hit. The social media has focused on what it needed to. I agree that they could have done another trailer, but i think that if they did a detailed, mechanics driven one like the japanese trailers, it could alienate the people nintendo's marketing team wants to get: People who like anime and/or RPGs.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
How would you feel about this game if it wasn't for all the famitsu articles?
I'm not the right person to ask this.

I'm always an optimist and a "I'll judge the game fully when I play myself". I didn't even read the articles. Just hung out in these threads and heard from posters what they've read. I don't go out of my way to learn everything about the game unless I'm looking for something.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I mean we all knew that they were going to focus on MMaker until after it was released.

The one thing I I will say about this genre, its pretty hard to market the genre to nonfans of the genre (see all the fire emblem hate in smash). Everybody here was already extremely primed for this game.
This is probably the reason why the most viewed trailers focused on story and setting (mostly) rather than gameplay as some of us would've thought.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
The treehouse segment had 1 million views tho
That's true but it's just one video after all, The 2 E3 trailers, the direct segment, The welcome to x House videos don't focus on gameplay like that one, i guess the Treehouse segment shows there was enough interest in the premise itself that people wanted to have a deeper look at the game perhaps, Also the mounts are cool so the thumbnail helped lol.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
The problem with Fire Emblem at E3 Treehouse was that they really had to rush through the gameplay mechanics. Even though its mechanics are more complex than those of Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion, Marvel Ultimate Alliance or Daemon x Machina, it only got half as much coverage and FE is at least bigger sales-wise than Astral Chain and Daemon x Machina. Probably bigger than the other two as well and the FE gameplay vid has more views than the two parts of each of those other games combined. Nintendo and their priorities.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Fire Emblem at E3 Treehouse was that they really had to rush through the gameplay mechanics. Even though its mechanics are more complex than those of Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion, Marvel Ultimate Alliance or Daemon x Machina, it only got half as much coverage and FE is at least bigger sales-wise than Astral Chain and Daemon x Machina. Probably bigger than the other two as well and the FE gameplay vid has more views than the two parts of each of those other games combined. Nintendo and their priorities.
Well AC and DxM are new games, they need more time to explain things than FE

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Well AC and DxM are new games, they need more time to explain things than FE
They are new, yes, but 3H still has so many new things and changed mechanics. And I don't think they should disregard new players when releasing the franchise on a home console after more than 10 years.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think showing more mechanics would've helped sell the game more. All the most interesting ones are in the treehouse, and more details would only serve those who were likely to buy the game anyway.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
So do we know enough about NG+ yet to know if Byleth's professor levels for the free time activity gauges can carry over? Put it in a spoiler I guess.
Quoting myself because I found the answer. I saw someone post the relevant lines of text from the datamine dump, and

not only can you carry over your professor levels, but you can spend renown to INCREASE your professor levels.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself because I found the answer. I saw someone post the relevant lines of text from the datamine dump, and

not only can you carry over your professor levels, but you can spend renown to INCREASE your professor levels.
Yeah this is why I've decided to do the route I'm most looking forward to last, so I can do ALL the things!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's going to review well despite having some very clear problems... Which in some cases might not be problems to others - like nine hours in, the battle/everything else ratio is about 30/70, which is super irritating to me + the calendar makes the pacing very rote (they basically tell you something interesting is going to happen at the end of the month, then you go through the motions to get there) + the interactions with students during the monastery section are really insignificant lines of dialogue (actual support conversations are randomly super high quality though, like a lot longer and more interesting than they've ever been).

Will tear my hair out if the docked performance isn't brought up like crazy. Before I got my copy yesterday, I was playing through the original Xenoblade Chronicles again on my TV, and the IQ is way closer to that than it should be :/

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I think it's going to review well despite having some very clear problems... Which in some cases might not be problems to others - like nine hours in, the battle/everything else ratio is about 30/70, which is super irritating to me + the calendar makes the pacing very rote (they basically tell you something interesting is going to happen at the end of the month, then you go through the motions to get there) + the interactions with students during the monastery section are really insignificant lines of dialogue (actual support conversations are randomly super high quality though, like a lot longer and more interesting than they've ever been).

Will tear my hair out if the docked performance isn't brought up like crazy. Before I got my copy yesterday, I was playing through the original Xenoblade Chronicles again on my TV, and the IQ is way closer to that than it should be :/

Your clear problems are not everyone else's

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like Persona, and people loved that

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

Exactly why i didnt like the Persona series

However despite that i am enjoying the game alot

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
You know that there's quick travel through the map, right? You're not literally running around everywhere?
Ofc, but even with that you're just running between people to get their two lines of dialogue, which are like 'Omg, the sweets today! *Line break* They are good!'. It's like filling out all the NPC dialogue in Trails.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ofc, but even with that you're just running between people to get their two lines of dialogue, which are like 'Omg, the sweets today! *Line break* They are good!'. It's like filling out all the NPC dialogue in Trails.
Just checking :P

Yeah, that's kind of annoying, then. There's no sign on the map about what new dialogue plays into a quest or a support and what's just filler?

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
don't they say things that are relevant to the plot too? Especially after a chapter or big events

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
It's much much deeper than the Cold Steel stuff, though. Because each character actually has a personality here. Also, you have dialogue options here which influence your relationship with a character. So no, it's nothing like Cold Steel.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's much much deeper than the Cold Steel stuff, though. Because each character actually has a personality here. Also, you have dialogue options here which influence your relationship with a character. So no, it's nothing like Cold Steel.

Are you playing the game? Also, JRPG NPCs are kind of Falcom's Forte, you really don't want to be making hyperbole statements like having zilch personality without backing them up.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Since two days ago. 6 hours in.
That's like 20% of the people you can talk to that'll have a prompt though, and I don't think those really tell you anything about them. Like I said above, I think the actual support conversations are very good, but the monastery stuff feels overwhelmingly like fluff, and there's so much of it.

Will save saying anything else for the OT when I'm further in anyway. I'm really curious to see how they hopefully break up the schedule post time-skip.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
If the basic flavor text on a week-to-week basic isn't worth reading, I don't think most people will have problems skipping it. Previewers made it sound like what's happening around the monastery meaningfully changes only at the start of each month, so you'd only need to do a full sweep of it once per chapter, right? Or are there a few important things sprinkled in sometimes in the middle of the month along with all the generic dialogue?

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
That's like 20% of the people you can talk to that'll have a prompt though, and I don't think those really tell you anything about them. Like I said above, I think the actual support conversations are very good, but the monastery stuff feels overwhelming like fluff, and there's so much of it.
Skip the ones you find fluffy. Problem solved. Like yeah, probably the random soldiers idling in the hallways are not going to blow your mind, I agree. But even when it comes to them, the fact that everything is voiced (and the VA is so good) just puts this in a league above Cold Steel.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Skip the ones you find fluffy. Problem solved. Like yeah, probably the random soldiers idling in the hallways are not going to blow your mind, I agree. But even when it comes to them, the fact that everything is voiced (and the VA is so good) just puts this in a league above Cold Steel.

I love the Cold Steel games but its so off-putting when you get to a conversation where one character is voiced and suddenly Rean loses his.

Status
Not open for further replies.