• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How will FE:TH do on MC?

• 100-95

• 94-90

• 89-85

• 84-80

• 75-79

• Bomba

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Fuck, that steelbook looks sweet. I wasn't sold on the front art initially, but that spine and back art... HNNNG. Now I kinda regret pre-ordering the standard edition instead.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Waypoint's newest podcast episode is on Three Houses. Nothing new revealed, but it's a lengthy and entertaining segment. They seem to love the game.
Seems like at the end of the day. IS made a great game. Intresting to see where we'll land in the end and what we think can be improved.

I know everyone is gonna say graphics, but that is an easier fix.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'm feeling like this game might click for me in the way Persona 5 never did. I can't wait to agonize over every tiny scheduling decision in the game, but my #1 goal will be to poach Bernadetta from the Eagles and train her to DANCE!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Man, everybody seems really up on this. Every new bit of info (aside from the Black Eagles' maps maybe being bad, which I've already angsted over) is getting me more and more hype.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think people obsess over alternate win conditions too much when it comes to good map design. Especially since many maps don't play to those strengths well enough and so conditions like "escape" just end up with you routing the map for experience anyways. Defense chapters can be cool occasionally, but I think it's narratively hard to justify using them too often. And honestly, most win conditions in the series fall into 4 categories anyways: rout, defeat boss, escape, and defend, and I'd argue that usually these conditions don't actually change how you play the map that much beyond defend and sometimes escape to a lesser extent (and then only if there's a time limit or infinite reinforcements)

Edit: Forgot seize battles, but those are functionally near identical to defeat boss in practice, with the only practical difference being you can grind xp on remaining enemies or by healing afterwards if you want

Lirose

May 30, 2018
This game just looks so good. I'm glad IS took the time they needed for this.

First run I'm probably going for Black Eagles and then 2nd run Blue Lions to try to save Dimitri (if it's possible!). The meme team Golden Deers are on their own, I don't think I will do 3 playthoughs unless there is some sort of canon 4th route.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Combat preview

Nothing new really, but great article for FE newbies or those you haven't payed attention to this game.
I'm still pretty skeptical that moving weapon triangle to combat arts that eat durability and can't be used in enemy phase was a good thing. Makes tanking chokes much much easier to do -- just stick in the highest def/res unit. They're removing pair up too, right? I really hope the turn-to-turn tactics aren't bland, even on hard. Bigger numbers doesn't make things more interesting by default.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I'm still pretty skeptical that moving weapon triangle to combat arts that eat durability and can't be used in enemy phase was a good thing. Makes tanking chokes much much easier to do -- just stick in the highest def/res unit. They're removing pair up too, right? I really hope the turn-to-turn tactics aren't bland, even on hard. Bigger numbers doesn't make things more interesting by default.
Enemies can use combat arts too

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I've seen on Serenes, I think the weapon triangle thing you gain is actually a passive skill rather than a combat art

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Enemies can use combat arts too. In-fact, the only screenshot we have of an enemy arts is one using helm splitter (+ Damage on Armored Units) on an armored/high defense unit.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Pair up seems to be replaced by an "adjutant" system. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it seems once your professor level is high enough you can assign an adjutant to a unit for the duration of a map, and higher professor levels means you can assign more adjutants. I think this basically works like pair up, except rather than combining two units who are already on the field, you're bringing in an extra unit that you wouldn't have been able to bring in otherwise, except they can't split from the unit they're assigned to.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Oh first I heard about this.

But on paper removing pair up is probably healthy for the strategy design. I didn't mind it but from a design perspective it always removed layers of strategy since you're stacking pieces so you actually remove more decisions on positioning and objective taking. It's still kind of fun thinking about optimal pair ups stat wise outside of battle but inside the game it def hurt balance/strategical design.

I will say there could have been other ways of balancing it like adding a stronger risk factor to pair up like single health pool and if it's gone both units die or similar, but at first glance a change was probably needed.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think people obsess over alternate win conditions too much when it comes to good map design. Especially since many maps don't play to those strengths well enough and so conditions like "escape" just end up with you routing the map for experience anyways. Defense chapters can be cool occasionally, but I think it's narratively hard to justify using them too often. And honestly, most win conditions in the series fall into 4 categories anyways: rout, defeat boss, escape, and defend, and I'd argue that usually these conditions don't actually change how you play the map that much beyond defend and sometimes escape to a lesser extent (and then only if there's a time limit or infinite reinforcements)

Edit: Forgot seize battles, but those are functionally near identical to defeat boss in practice, with the only practical difference being you can grind xp on remaining enemies or by healing afterwards if you want
uhhh if you think rout, defeat boss, and escape play out similarly that's on you, just because players tend to turn other objectives into rout because "muh EXP" doesn't mean they actually are the same

(yeah defend usually is lame though)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
uhhh if you think rout, defeat boss, and escape play out similarly that's on you, just because players tend to turn other objectives into rout because "muh EXP" doesn't mean they actually are the same

(yeah defend usually is lame though)
It's more that the games rarely incentivize you to approach them differently. I find adding interesting gimmicks and side objectives that can expire or add extra challenge, or things like turn limits, far more interesting as ways to shake up the gameplay than going from a rout to a defeat boss or escape. I mean some gimmicks are definitely lame (Stuff like desert levels where movement grinds to a halt pretty much always suck), but I think there are plenty of cool gimmicks that can add strategic depth, like having certain platforms move around in a predictable or reliable manner, or adding a really strong enemy like the Black Knight that you need to avoid at all costs while completing the main objective

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
My understanding of the Adjutant mechanic is that the unit the adjutant is paired to doesn't actually gain any stats. That is, its just a way to let units you weren't using get some experience. In looking though, the only source I can find on this is the reddit info thread (5th bullet point), so I might be wrong here.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Defeat the boss in the late game is very different from route for me, it rarely is efficient to route when most of your party is near max level anyway
I remember killing the conquest final bosses as quickly as possible
It's described as a whole other route, not a variation on the other three. Not a lot of wiggle room there.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
My understanding of the Adjutant mechanic is that the unit the adjutant is paired to doesn't actually gain any stats. That is, its just a way to let units you weren't using get some experience. In looking though, the only source I can find on this is the reddit info thread (5th bullet point), so I might be wrong here.
You are correct. :)

It is basically the EXP Share of Pokémon

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
This article based on Famitsu says that units with adjutants will always perform a joint attack, and the adjutant can occasionally perform a follow-up attack, defend during enemy counterattacks, or heal the main unit.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty cool seeing opinions turn around since it revealed. The excitment is pretty contagious now.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Japanese Steelbook is freaking amazing.

1563236202181.jpg

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually kind of want the game to leak a little early just so I can know if there's any missable content based on recruiting students or stuff like that, as well as having more concrete ideas on how to recruit students to help me prioritize lol

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Based on what I've seen on Serenes, I think the weapon triangle thing you gain is actually a passive skill rather than a combat art
Really? Everyone always mentions them along with the active skills. That would be way better. Then why even bother say it's been removed vs it's just delayed?
Enemies can use combat arts too. In-fact, the only screenshot we have of an enemy arts is one using helm splitter (+ Damage on Armored Units) on an armored/high defense unit.
That's good! I hope they're generously sprinkled and not just on 2 units/map.
Pair up seems to be replaced by an "adjutant" system. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it seems once your professor level is high enough you can assign an adjutant to a unit for the duration of a map, and higher professor levels means you can assign more adjutants. I think this basically works like pair up, except rather than combining two units who are already on the field, you're bringing in an extra unit that you wouldn't have been able to bring in otherwise, except they can't split from the unit they're assigned to.
Yeah, I heard about this. It's similar but without the autoblock and without being dynamic. Just remove the autoblock from pair up then, it's more interesting that way.
Oh first I heard about this.

But on paper removing pair up is probably healthy for the strategy design. I didn't mind it but from a design perspective it always removed layers of strategy since you're stacking pieces so you actually remove more decisions on positioning and objective taking. It's still kind of fun thinking about optimal pair ups stat wise outside of battle but inside the game it def hurt balance/strategical design.

I will say there could have been other ways of balancing it like adding a stronger risk factor to pair up like single health pool and if it's gone both units die or similar, but at first glance a change was probably needed.
I mentioned this a few pages ago, but I liked the dynamic stat allocation mid-battle. It was decently balanced on Lunatic where you needed offensive mode to kill some units so you couldn't always stay paired up. There typically aren't enough tactical positions to slot like 10+ units anyway, so "removing" them didn't matter imo.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Everyone always mentions them along with the active skills. That would be way better. Then why even bother say it's been removed vs it's just delayed?

That's good! I hope they're generously sprinkled and not just on 2 units/map.

Yeah, I heard about this. It's similar but without the autoblock and without being dynamic. Just remove the autoblock from pair up then, it's more interesting that way.

I mentioned this a few pages ago, but I liked the dynamic stat allocation mid-battle. It was decently balanced on Lunatic where you needed offensive mode to kill some units so you couldn't always stay paired up. There typically aren't enough tactical positions to slot like 10+ units anyway, so "removing" them didn't matter imo.
yeah, even the article you were using them refers to them as abilities (which they state earlier are the passives) as opposed to combat arts which they proceed to talk about in the next part of the article after talking about the triangle skills

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This article based on Famitsu says that units with adjutants will always perform a joint attack, and the adjutant can occasionally perform a follow-up attack, defend during enemy counterattacks, or heal the main unit.

Only one or two of those three effects, depending on your professor level and presumably the adjutant's class.

You're confusing two separate systems. Weapon triangle advantage has been relegated to passive equippable weapon abilities that characters unlock at, say, B weapon rank. Thus, they affect enemy phase.

Combat Arts are active abilities that have various effects, but notably can offer specialized damage (vs armor, cavalry, monsters, etc). They consume durability.

Pair-up has been changed to the Adjutant system, where you can assign an adjutant to a unit pre-battle and they'll offer various assisting effects while gaining EXP (I don't think they give stat boosts besides hit/avoid, but maybe MT, not sure). Adjutants can't be switched with the main unit during battle, but don't take a deployment slot. You can only assign one adjutant when you unlock the system, but it increases with professor level.

I am wondering. Who's going to make the Review Megathread when the embargo expires?

Actually... I just saw this pic. Looks real.
5d2d07600e74f47342.jpg

Edit: The person has the game for 9 days. Maybe a reviewer.

Doesn't Nintendo ban unauthorized users who are caught playing a game before release date? I think this is either a reviewer or a developer who is playing this game.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the reviews mentioned that it seems like the soundtrack doesn't have a lot of variety, which would be shocking given the size of the Fates and Echoes OSTs. My assumption is that means that the three houses each have their own themes for common tracks, and that is where the music budget went? But... we haven't heard anything hinting at a musical identity for each of the houses.

Also, if Golden Deer are a bit more heavy on archers than the other two, do we know what it comes at the expense of? What are the strengths/weakneses of the other two houses?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You're confusing two separate systems. Weapon triangle advantage has been relegated to passive equippable weapon abilities that characters unlock at, say, B weapon rank. Thus, they affect enemy phase.
Since you're like the 3rd person to say so, that's good.
Pair-up has been changed to the Adjutant system, where you can assign an adjutant to a unit pre-battle and they'll offer various assisting effects while gaining EXP (I don't think they give stat boosts besides hit/avoid, but maybe MT, not sure). Adjutants can't be switched with the main unit during battle, but don't take a deployment slot. You can only assign one adjutant when you unlock the system, but it increases with professor level.
The motive and benefits are so far removed, it's not really the same thing at all.

Edit: Read the other person you quoted. Looking better! Shame it's not changeable mid-battle, but you can't win them all.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Defeat the boss in the late game is very different from route for me, it rarely is efficient to route when most of your party is near max level anyway

Saying that it's just a bad ending is still oversimplifying it. It's still a whole other path. And there's still room between "neutral" and "happily ever after," so it's not even necessarily bad at all.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Nintendo ban unauthorized users who are caught playing a game before release date? I think this is either a reviewer or a developer who is playing this game.
Wait what the fuck? Is this real so if I get fe three houses 3 days early by luck cause a vendor broke streetdate I risk a ban???
That sounds too fucking stupid to be true but since it's Nintendo... would be nice to know for sure.

Jan 9, 2018
1563225130891.jpg

If this is real, then it confirms a second set of supports post time skip most likely, it could definitely be fake though, can't tell too well with these things
While I do think it's unlikely for this to actually be true, I'm hoping this "fake" is still on track and we do get a separate set of Supports post-timeskip. It makes sense and would do a lot to develop the world and characters. After all, it was the previews that hinted at the "War Phase" of the game being just as long if not longer than the "School Phase," would be pretty lackluster if none of the War Phase was reflected in the Supports.

And okay yeah, part of me is also hoping a new set of "War Phase" Supports means there's a chance of bisexual Claude actually being a thing after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.