• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are your final predictions for this highly anticipated title?

• 96-100

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • 91-95 (Same as Awakening)

Votes: 236 35.4%
  • 86-90 (Same as Fates)

Votes: 303 45.5%
  • 81-85

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • 76-80

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 14 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Upper 80s. I think it might deserve better, but that's a hard sell for this kind of game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
People would complain relentlessly about the price if they did 2D. Even if it can looker better and more consistent, there's still the widespread perception that 2D is worth less than 3D. It would also be really expensive here, as it is harder to translate the same uniforms/outfits to other 2D characters than it is 3D characters without it looking like a cheap copy-paste head transplant.
I am sure Nintendo can afford higher budget for some of their games. And I don't see why a stellar looking 2d game is less worth than an ugly looking 3d game. VanillaWare games for example are always praised for their graphics and are full price.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the game is really ugly. I always ask myself why they don't go back to that stellar Pixel look from the GBA games. These looked so damn cool and something like that in HD would have been really beautiful. Maybe mix it with 3d backgrounds like Octopath did.

2d art and pixel art games are much harder to sell and generally require more work to get anywhere near the same level of animation as you do with 3d models.

Nintendo dropped it entirely because it was practically always a crutch when it came to actually selling games, especially on consoles. I think the final straw that broke that camels back was Wario shake dimension, a beautiful hand drawn game that was generally strong all around... Barely scraped its way past a million copies sold while NSMBWii did 30m+.

At the end of the day, they've had much more success with quite a few series including fire emblem since switching to models, so it's extremely unlikely they change course back.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
First of all, no, lol, my PC has a high end graphic card from 2009. It's freaking old. You don't need much power to play something like Max Payne in 1080p.

And second of all, you don't believe the Switch could give us like Wii U, hell, GameCube graphics in normal 1080p? Cause I'm not asking for much, I even said they should keep the graphics simpler, the res is the important factor here.
Fair enough. An hi-end 2009 card would be around a teraflop single precision, which is still about as powerful (if not a bit more) as a docked Switch, and twice as powerful as an undocked Switch (not to mention with significantly faster VRAM in both cases).

But I get your point, and I agree. Even more people would complain about "ugly graphics" though.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
The game programming was handled by Koei, so it's not like IS even got experience out of this. I still think going for them just due to the battalion mechanic was a big mistake. It's not like Koei's warrior or strategy teams have ever done great looking games for the Switch in the first plac
It is not like this was their priority. Koei is experiened in making strategy games due to Romance of the three Kingdoms, which is a main inspiration for this game.

I think they favored spending their resources on the game content and gameplay over having better graphics. And this is to me, is ideal.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
666 total voters. It's a sign. This is going to review devilishly well and sell even better. Believe.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I'm not too concerned with numbers since impressions are universally great. But I am thinking it has a chance of at least tying Awakening, which was honestly scored higher than it deserved, precisely because the reception has been so good. It reminds me of the positive buzz around that game only this time I think it won't be as polarizing in the community.

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure Nintendo can afford higher budget for some of their games. And I don't see why a stellar looking 2d game is less worth than an ugly looking 3d game. VanillaWare games for example are always praised for their graphics and are full price.

Yeah, and Vanillaware games...
  1. Don't sell as well as Nintendo's franchises
  2. Languish in development hell for years, with them releasing a new game every 5 years or so.
VanillaWare is not a good example for how to produce 2D games.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I like the look of the game. Yeah, it's not a technically impressive game but i still think it looks good enough. Sure, it's always nice when a game can also impress with its graphics, but it's not something i'm expecting out of every game.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm betting on a 87. Means nothing since I've already purchased the game and I'm just looking at the clock.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
I already got the game but I view bet on metacritic score too! My prediction is 90
Most review will go around 9.3-8.7 . Got minus 1 or half point mostly because visually not very appealing overall and not so polish in some area.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
The have had amazing previews, and people here are just talking about the graphics.

If you're playing an SRPG in a handheld (or hybryd console) graphics should be like the less important part of the game, if people are just talking about the graphics because of the SCORES of the reviews then its just to be able to brag about it in console wars.
Im just here aiting to see if combat is on the same level as story and characters of what we've heard.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
But I get your point, and I agree. Even more people would complain about "ugly graphics" though.

Yeah, but there's the question, what makes graphics ugly?

The textures? The polygons? Or the picture quality/clarity? For me definitely the latter. Cause like I said when I put on a 15 year old game on a PC today (or just take any HD remaster on console as example) and puts it on native res, then I'm freaking impressed of how it looks. What do you have from wonderful graphics and nice textures, when you can never really see them because the resolution is always sub native? That ruins the whole picture, constantly. But yeah, you understand.

Howsoever, I'm getting my game in 1 1/2 hours. :D

Plum

May 31, 2018
Damn, I forgot to add 1 hour to the OP's timer (nice OP btw!). Thought the reviews were out 5 minutes ago.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but there's the question, what makes graphics ugly?

The textures? The polygons? Or the picture quality/clarity? For me definitely the latter. Cause like I said when I put on a 15 year old game on a PC today (or just take any HD remaster on console as example) and puts it on native res, then I'm freaking impressed of how it looks. What do you have from wonderful graphics and nice textures, when you can never really see them because the resolution is always sub native? That ruins the whole picture, constantly. But yeah, you understand.

Howsoever, I'm getting my game in 1 1/2 hours. :D
I dunno I'm the kind of guy who's picky about framerate but doesn't really care about graphics as long as the art direction did its job. So of course image clarity is paramount, but as long as I can "read" what needs to be "read" from the image, graphics are a non-issue.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Does anyone know how many gb the game is? I'm considering getting it but need to clear some memory lol

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I would loooove to see more games looking like VanillaWare games.
But at the same time they kind of tend to prove that going that route is not easy, just look at 13 Sentinels which will only get released 6 years after their previous game, and had to go the paid demo route to make some money before that; and that's with a studio which already has the talent/knowhow.

Oct 27, 2017
After reading the spoilers, going to say mid 80s.
  • The plot has left some people divided, and some characters aren't handled that well.
  • Game getting judged as a home console means people will probably cause criticism in regards to the graphics.
  • There are periods in the game where it just feels like padding.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
I need it in my veins.
Is there any roadmap or world of what SP will include? Unsure if I should bump up my pre-order to the edition w season pass.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think underwhelming graphics will not affect reviews that much tbh. You get used to them in really long rpgs.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Got my copy yesterday, probably won't be able to properly dive in to it until the weekend. Looks good so far though.

Oct 25, 2017
I need it in my veins.
Is there any roadmap or world of what SP will include? Unsure if I should bump up my pre-order to the edition w season pass.

There's not really anything other than the costumes at launch, so you can hold off. Some more costumes, helpful in game items, and side missions are coming late this year, early next, and then spring of next year is a larger chunk of content that has "new maps and characters". People are expecting a mini-campaign during the time skip? Seems like the only way to do an expansion adventure in a branching game with multiple main casts.

The higher difficulty level is coming shortly after launch for free.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sticking with my guns and saying 84. Feel like it might get dinged for technical problems.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be in awakening territory for scores

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see how we go from some previews saying this could be goty to low 80 meta score but okay!

This has high 80s on lock imo