• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
I think the presentation is a stark improvement over Three Houses so far. Houses had barely any quality in-engine cutscenes (I can only think of like 4 off the top of my head), and had to use still pictures to depict major plot events at times, while Hopes is full of in-engine cutscenes, for instance.

And the paper thin multi-game fanservice only goes so far for me. First game was fun as a stopgap when the Switch struggled for games, but I would much rather have a decent story and coherent world, even in a musou.

It's funny that you bring up that first point because I distinctly remember Catherine's in-engine intro cutscene in Three Houses looking really good than immediately after there was a CGI cutscene that actually looked worse.

Really makes you wonder why they didn't go with in-engine to begin with, especially since the Kou Shibusawa and Omega Force teams are really great with that kind of stuff. So I will agree with you that, I just wish said cutscenes in Three Hopes made more use of characters outside the House Leaders.

And agree on the fact that FEW's fanservice was paper thin. Even with how limited the representation was, they put waaaaay too much focus on the OCs, you really just recruited the past Fire Emblem characters and thet just never spoke for the rest of the story. The supports between them were great at least.

I do wish we got a FEW that was as inspired and celebratory as the original Hyrule Warriors, but I guess that's out of the picture for the time being.

Honestly makes me wonder if that was originally what they were going to plan to do, but with the new Fire Emblem game being rumored to have a past heroes summoning mechanic, they decided to go in a different direction to avoid two crossover concepts so close to each other.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I think the presentation is a stark improvement over Three Houses so far. Houses had barely any quality in-engine cutscenes (I can only think of like 4 off the top of my head), and had to use still pictures to depict major plot events at times, while Hopes is full of in-engine cutscenes, for instance.

And the paper thin multi-game fanservice only goes so far for me. First game was fun as a stopgap when the Switch struggled for games, but I would much rather have a decent story and coherent world, even in a musou.
Speaking of the original FE Warriors, I've booted my copy to check if I was crazy, but nope, it looks leaps and bounds better than Three Hopes. That game is honestly beautiful, and it runs great too. Three Hopes looks kinda... ghastly to me. The resolution, lack of AA, bad texture filtering and low res shadows makes for a godawful image quality.

Just expressing my disappointment with the technical aspects of this game. I wish it looked great, because the rest of the game is well made (even though I also have other issues with it).

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
Speaking of the original FE Warriors, I've booted my copy to check if I was crazy, but nope, it looks leaps and bounds better than Three Hopes. That game is honestly beautiful, and it runs great too. Three Hopes looks kinda... ghastly to me. The resolution, lack of AA, bad texture filtering and low res shadows makes for a godawful image quality.

Just expressing my disappointment with the technical aspects of this game. I wish it looked great, because the rest of the game is well made (even though I also have other issues with it).

It really does. Nicely defined models and 60 FPS made for it to be such an impressive Year 1 Switch experience (some textures are bad, but that's a shared element between both games lol).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
played through the demo part and a couple chapters and

byleths a lazy shit. took years for her and edelgard to do stuff and they still had to be evil forehead puppets for a while while edelgard and cheese kicked them out in two weeks

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

That's a bit of a lopsided comparison IMO.

FEW definitely had great character models, but part of the reason I suspect it was even able to offer its performance mode to begin with is that it had basically nothing else going on graphically. Environments were comparatively bare, and non-character textures were laughable — remember the jpeg of rocks they used as a ground "texture"? Same type of shortcutting that plagued Three Houses itself, actually.

Nope. More of a "what if?" narrative to the main game. But muuuch shorter, took me eight hours to beat one of the routes.

Wow, you must not have done any side content. haha

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any good missables guides out there yet? Only plan to play through one route and would like to recruit as many characters as possible in one run.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the enemies are way more damage spongey this time around. Things were straight up exploding on contact in FEW but here I gotta hack away for a while. Could be that I'm significantly under the enemy levels for map but I'm not skipping any levels either. Does this smooth out or am I supposed to grind some levels somewhere?

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
That's a bit of a lopsided comparison IMO.

FEW definitely had great character models, but part of the reason I suspect it was even able to offer its performance mode to begin with is that it had basically nothing else going on graphically. Environments were comparatively bare, and non-character textures were laughable — remember the jpeg of rocks they used as a ground "texture"? Same type of shortcutting that plagued Three Houses itself, actually.

Wow, you must not have done any side content. haha
Oh, I understand that Three Hopes is trying to push more advanced techniques. It just doesn't work, and given that the end result is kind of a mess, visually, I'd much rather have a game that is not as technically ambitious but it's very visually polished, playing to its own strengths while delivering great image quality and smooth performance.

I couldn't care less if a game is more ambitious technically if it fails to deliver a pleasant visual experience.

Also, Three Hopes textures are equally as bad, imo.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the enemies are way more damage spongey this time around. Things were straight up exploding on contact in FEW but here I gotta hack away for a while. Could be that I'm significantly under the enemy levels for map but I'm not skipping any levels either. Does this smooth out or am I supposed to grind some levels somewhere?

Hard Mode has inflated enemy levels, if that's what you're on. Have to pick and choose your fights more, know which moves trigger the enemy's gauge, utilize perfect blocks to open it up too, etc.

If you're on Normal, things should still basically explode on contact.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
played through the demo part and a couple chapters and

byleths a lazy shit. took years for her and edelgard to do stuff and they still had to be evil forehead puppets for a while while edelgard and cheese kicked them out in two weeks
I mean it easier when you have a guy who works for you on the inside, the reason for that is that Edelgard took advantage that Jeritza became a professor rather than Byleth (which was the original plan in TH), which led to be able to rescue Monica who was able to accuse Tomas (Solon) which led to Edelgard being able to reveal who the real villains were

Last edited:

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Good question…. I wanna know too….I wish we could wear different clothes or whatever besides changing classes

Don't think so. Maybe DLC later.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like that's all we get for now but just was hoping there might be more in the base game. I'm kind of curious to try out different classes as well just to see what the outfits look like for those when playing. So far didn't see anything online that showed how they all look during combat.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of questions

1. Any reason not to immediately use stat up items?
2. Where is the owl? I got some kind of pop up about it but haven't seen it
3. To unlock something that says you need to do all side activities, does that include S ranking battles?
4. Should you just sell useless weapons or is there later going to be some kind of breakdown/upgrade blacksmithing feature?
5. Any items I should make sure I buy before going to a following chapter?
6. Is there ultimately anything "missable" or can I always grind stuff out?

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Hard Mode has inflated enemy levels, if that's what you're on. Have to pick and choose your fights more, know which moves trigger the enemy's gauge, utilize perfect blocks to open it up too, etc.

If you're on Normal, things should still basically explode on contact.

I could have sworn I played FEW on hard too. At least I know I'm not missing anything.

After the initial rush through the academy period the game really slowed down. I'm liking how the game is playing out. Never did the Edelgard route in 3H so I decided to go with her this time around. This game is the first time I've had a normal interaction with Hubert haha

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of questions

1. Any reason not to immediately use stat up items?
2. Where is the owl? I got some kind of pop up about it but haven't seen it
3. To unlock something that says you need to do all side activities, does that include S ranking battles?
4. Should you just sell useless weapons or is there later going to be some kind of breakdown/upgrade blacksmithing feature?
5. Any items I should make sure I buy before going to a following chapter?
6. Is there ultimately anything "missable" or can I always grind stuff out?
1. It's permanent even if you reset so yeah you can.
2. Just outside of your room, you can see it on the map iirc
4. You can trade them for smithing stones on Chapter 5, it is also a currency used to get other items, mostly building upgrade mats.
5. You can farm as much as you want but I always get the gifts and class unlock items

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

It's far from perfect, but Three Hopes is great. It's the technical aspects which are a bummer. Big time.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Nope. More of a "what if?" narrative to the main game. But muuuch shorter, took me eight hours to beat one of the routes.

You must be playing this game very differently from me. I'm 16 hours in and I'm only done 6 chapters in with one of the routes.

What? Im 14 hours in and only at chapter 7 with Blue Lions.
What route did you take?

Yeah, I'm placing at a similar pace to you.

I really don't understand what the prerequisite is for "do all side activities in an area". I've cleared the map, what am I missing?

You likely failed side- missions in said maps. You have to clear side missions too.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Question about character unlocks

do I have to play twice to unlock both male and female shez and byleth?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
If I give someone a battalion that is strong against the thing they are weak too, does that balance out to neutral? For example if I want to not have to swap off of Edelgard when fighting swordsmen, can I just give her a Battalion of spearmen and the problem is solved?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
You must be playing this game very differently from me. I'm 16 hours in and I'm only done 6 chapters in with one of the routes.

Yeah, I'm placing at a similar pace to you.

There is just so much stuff in one route and the story is so different from 3H. I dare say the story is better so far. The characters have way more personality.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I just noticed, is that characters you poach from other kingdoms might have unique supports with Shez depending on what route you're on. I'm with Edelgard and one of the people I stole referenced her being in charge. I assume they would have a different support entirely if I spoke to them on their original team. Though maybe they just added two extra lines to this support…

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Loving this game..Will I get more put of it lore wise if I stop and play the previous in the serious, the SRPG???

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
If I give someone a battalion that is strong against the thing they are weak too, does that balance out to neutral? For example if I want to not have to swap off of Edelgard when fighting swordsmen, can I just give her a Battalion of spearmen and the problem is solved?
That's what I figured. I wonder if completely negative penalty due to the weapon triangle or only decreases the damage a little. Anyone have confirmation?

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Not very far in, but Petra is still the best character just like in Three Houses. Her dodge doing chip damage is ridiculously useful for staggering groups.

Oct 27, 2017

That's how it works as far as I can tell. I've been doing mostly that. I've also been giving some sword/spear/axe units bow/tome/fist battalions and vice versavso they have advantage over 2 weapon types.

AlexMurphy

Oct 19, 2018
Anyone know what to do with the "Cannot hold any more <facility icon> supplies" notification?

I can't find anything indicating I'm near any sort of limit and I dont know what to do about it

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
I'm not very far but I feel like adjutants aren't really that useful. It's only a one-time bonus to support levels when they defeat a guard, but in return for that you're (in battles with only 4 characters) halving the number of characters on the field. Just don't think it's worth the loss in overall power, and the increased micromanagement required. Am I missing something?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm not very far but I feel like adjutants aren't really that useful. It's only a one-time bonus to support levels when they defeat a guard, but in return for that you're (in battles with only 4 characters) halving the number of characters on the field. Just don't think it's worth the loss in overall power, and the increased micromanagement required. Am I missing something?
I use them for bursting bosses down since you do a double super when you have an adjutant. Otherwise I typically forget about them lmao.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like when going through the main game you probably don't have to stress too much about weapon triangle and stats since it's a Musou and you can always win out through technique.

Maybe I'm wrong lol but thats usually how these games work. Min maxing more important for the bonus post game content normally.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like when going through the main game you probably don't have to stress too much about weapon triangle and stats since it's a Musou and you can always win out through technique.

Maybe I'm wrong lol but thats usually how these games work. Min maxing more important for the bonus post game content normally.

Good luck S-ranking in Hard Mode without focusing on effectiveness in Three Hopes... haha. It's a lot more important here, in part because Hard Mode is more challenging.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good luck S-ranking in Hard Mode without focusing on effectiveness in Three Hopes... haha. It's a lot more important here, in part because Hard Mode is more challenging.
Well that's what I meant kind of, that's not necessarily something you need to worry about when just going through the story.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know what to do with the "Cannot hold any more <facility icon> supplies" notification?

I can't find anything indicating I'm near any sort of limit and I dont know what to do about it

Its the supply master facility. They gather items beween missions and they get full. Notification almost turned me crazy too before i found it. Go get the items from it and/or expand it to hold more items

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what you mean by that, but in the "replay missions" menu you see your rank on every difficulty (have to switch pages display).
I was wondering if you gotta S Rank each difficulty individually or does S Ranking Hard clear the lower difficulties automatically...I recall there was a game I played recently that did this and didn't force you to S Rank lower difficulties separately.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also like is there any reason to really bother playing Classic? It's an exciting mode for a SRPG but seems like it's just kind of annoying for a Musou.