• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
tumblr_ovutsch8sw1u4uzvjo1_1280.jpg

What is a Firearm?

A firearm is a portablegun(a barreledranged weapon) that inflicts damage on targets by launching one or more projectiles driven by rapidly expanding high-pressure gas produced by exothermic combustion (deflagration) of propellant within an ammunition cartridge. If gas pressurization is not achieved via propellant combustion but through mechanical gas compression, then the gun is technically an air gun, not a firearm.

Types of Firearms:
  1. Handguns
    • The smallest of all firearms is the handgun. There are two common types of handguns: revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Revolvers have a number of firing chambers or "charge holes" in a revolving cylinder; each chamber in the cylinder is loaded with a single cartridge or charge. Semi-automatic pistols have a single fixed firing chamber machined into the rear of the barrel, and a magazine so they can be used to fire more than one round. Each press of the trigger fires a cartridge, using the energy of the cartridge to activate the mechanism so that the next cartridge may be fired immediately. This is opposed to "double-action" revolvers which accomplish the same end using a mechanical action linked to the trigger pull.
  2. Long Guns
    • A long gun is generally any firearm that is larger than a handgun and is designed to be held and fired with both hands, either from the hip or the shoulder. Long guns typically have a barrel between 10 and 30 inches (there are restrictions on minimum barrel length in many jurisdictions; maximum barrel length is usually a matter of practicality), that along with the receiver and trigger group is mounted into a wood, plastic, metal or composite stock, composed of one or more pieces that form a foregrip, rear grip, and optionally (but typically) a shoulder mount called the butt. Early long arms, from the Renaissance up to the mid-19th century, were generally smoothbore firearms that fired one or more ball shot, called muskets.
  3. Rifles and Shotguns
    • Most modern long guns are either rifles or shotguns. Both are the successors of the musket, diverging from their parent weapon in distinct ways. A rifle is so named for the spiral fluting (rifling) machined into the inner surface of its barrel, which imparts a self-stabilizing spin to the single bullets it fires. Shotguns are predominantly smoothbore firearms designed to fire a number of shot; pellet sizes commonly ranging between 2 mm #9 birdshot and 8.4 mm #00 (double-aught) buckshot. Shotguns are also capable of firing single slugs, or specialty (often "less lethal") rounds such as bean bags, tear gas or breaching rounds. Rifles have a very small impact area but a long range and high accuracy. Shotguns have a large impact area with considerably less range and accuracy. However, the larger impact area can compensate for reduced accuracy, since shot spreads during flight; consequently, in hunting, shotguns are generally used for flying game.
  4. Carbines
    • A carbine is a firearm similar to a rifle in form and intended usage, but generally shorter or smaller than the typical "full-size" hunting or battle rifle of similar time period, and sometimes using a smaller or less-powerful cartridge. Carbines were and are typically used by members of the military in roles that are expected to engage in combat, but where a full-size rifle would be an impediment to the primary duties of that soldier (vehicle drivers, field commanders and support staff, airborne troops, engineers, etc.). Carbines are also common in law enforcement and among civilian owners where similar size, space and/or power concerns may exist. Carbines, like rifles, can be single-shot, repeating-action, semi-automatic or select-fire/fully automatic, generally depending on the time period and intended market.
  5. Machine Guns
    • A machine gun is a fully automatic emplaceable weapon, most often separated from other classes of automatic weapon by the use of belt-fed ammunition (though some designs employ drum, pan or hopper magazines), generally in a rifle-inspired caliber ranging between 5.56×45mm NATO (.223 Remington) for a light machine gun to as large as .50 BMGor even larger for crewed or aircraft weapons. Although not widely fielded until World War I, early machine guns were being used by militaries in the second half of the 19th century. Notables in the U.S. arsenal during the 20th century included the M2 Browning .50 caliber heavy machine gun and M1919 Browning .30 caliber medium machine gun, and the M60 7.62×51mm NATO general-purpose machine gun which came into use around the Vietnam War. Machine guns of this type were originally defensive firearms crewed by at least two men, mainly because of the difficulties involved in moving and placing them, their ammunition, and their tripod. In contrast, modern light machine guns such as the FN Minimi are often wielded by a single infantryman. They provide a large ammunition capacity and a high rate of fire, and are typically used to give suppressing fire during infantry movement. Accuracy on machine guns varies based on a wide number of factors from design to manufacturing tolerances, most of which have been improved over time. Machine guns are often mounted on vehicles or helicopters, and have been used since World War I as offensive firearms in fighter aircraft and tanks (e.g. for air combat or suppressing fire for ground troop support).

The definition of machine gun is different in U.S. law. The National Firearms Act and Firearm Owners Protection Actdefine a "machine gun" in the United States code Title 26, Subtitle E, Chapter 53, Subchapter B, Part 1, § 5845 as: "... any firearm which shoots ... automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger". "Machine gun" is therefore largely synonymous with "automatic weapon" in the U.S. civilian parlance, covering all automatic firearms.
  6. Submachine Guns
    • A submachine gun is a magazine-fed firearm, usually smaller than other automatic firearms, that fires pistol-caliber ammunition; for this reason certain submachine guns can also be referred to as machine pistols, especially when referring to handgun-sized designs such as the Škorpion vz. 61 and Glock 18. Well-known examples are the Israeli Uzi and Heckler & Koch MP5 which use the 9×19mm Parabellum cartridge, and the American Thompson submachine gun which fires .45 ACP. Because of their small size and limited projectile penetration compared to high-power rifle rounds, submachine guns are commonly favored by military, paramilitary and police forces for close-quarters engagements such as inside buildings, in urban areas or in trench complexes.
  7. Automatic Rifles
  8. Assault rifles
  • In World War II, Germany introduced the StG 44, and brought to the forefront of firearm technology what eventually became the class of firearm most widely adopted by the military, the assault rifle. An assault rifle is usually slightly smaller than a battle rifle such as the Karabiner 98k, but the chief differences defining an assault rifle are select-fire capability and the use of a rifle round of lesser power, known as an intermediate cartridge. This reduces recoil allowing for controllable bursts at short range like a submachine gun, while retaining rifle-like accuracy at medium ranges. Generally, assault rifles have mechanisms that allow the user to select between single shots, fully automatic bursts, or fully automatic fire.

Soviet engineer Mikhail Kalashnikov quickly adapted the German concept, using a less-powerful 7.62×39mm cartridge derived from the standard 7.62×54mmR Russian battle rifle round, to produce the AK-47, which has become the world's most widely used assault rifle. Soon after World War II, the Automatic Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle began to be fielded by the Soviet Union and its allies in the Eastern Bloc, as well as by nations such as China, North Korea, and North Vietnam.

In the United States, the assault rifle design was later in coming; the replacement for the M1 Garand of WWII was another John Garand design chambered for the new 7.62×51mm NATO cartridge; the select-fire M14, which was used by the U.S. military until the 1960s. The significant recoil of the M14 when fired in full-automatic mode was seen as a problem as it reduced accuracy, and in the 1960s it was replaced by Eugene Stoner's AR-15, which also marked a switch from the powerful .30 caliber cartridges used by the U.S. military up until early in the Vietnam War to the much less powerful but far lighter and light recoiling .223 caliber (5.56mm) intermediate cartridge. The military later designated the AR-15 as the "M16". The civilian version of the M16 continues to be known as the AR-15 and looks exactly like the military version, although to conform to B.A.T.F.E. regulations in the U.S., it lacks the mechanism that permits fully automatic fire.

Variants of both of the M16 and AK-47 are still in wide international use today, though other automatic rifle designs have since been introduced. A smaller version of the M16A2, the M4 carbine, is widely used by U.S. and NATO tank and vehicle crews, airbornes, support staff, and in other scenarios where space is limited. The IMI Galil, an Israeli-designed weapon based on the action of the AK-47, is in use by Israel, Italy, Burma, the Philippines, Peru, and Colombia. Swiss Arms of Switzerland produces the SIG SG 550 assault rifle used by France, Chile, and Spain among others, and Steyr Mannlicher produces the AUG, a bullpup rifle in use in Austria, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and Saudi Arabia among other nations.

Modern designs call for compact weapons retaining firepower. The bullpup design, by mounting the magazine behind the trigger, unifies the accuracy and firepower of the traditional assault rifle with the compact size of the submachine gun (though submachine guns are still used); examples are the French FAMAS and the British SA80.

For the love of god THIS!?!?!
clip-vs-magazine.jpg

What is this | OT | for?
  • Reviews
  • Pictures
  • Training
  • Where to Shoot
  • Questions on Gear
  • Ammo questions
  • Where to find the best deals?
  • Etc
What this | OT | not for?
  • Political discussion

Resources?
https://gun.deals/
https://www.gunbroker.com/
http://www.gunbot.net/ammo

Last edited:

Bandit1

Oct 30, 2017
The four rules of gun safety:

Always treat the gun like it is loaded.
2. Never point the gun at something you are not willing to destroy.
3. Always be sure of your target and what is behind it.
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.

Important rules for people to learn and follow, especially those who are new to guns. Be safe.

Bandit1

Oct 30, 2017
In the time that has passed since I've posted about firearms on the previous site, I have obtained my handgun license and now regularly carry concealed. I've been carrying for over a year on my property (I primarily work and make a living in a shop on the same property where I live) and decided to take the step to obtain a handgun license to carry in public. I've been carrying a Walther PPS M2 9mm in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB hybrid holster. I am extremely satisfied with both the Walther PPS and the Alien Gear holster. The holster is very comfortable, the Walther is thin and ergonomic, reliable and accurate.

32361271713_f730f0af9b_c.jpg

38633493420_036a519d3b_c.jpg

26572914128_0cd1d5abb4_c.jpg

appaws

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just checking in. I am an enthusiast, concealed carrier, and USPSA shooter. My wife also shoots USPSA and we are both NRA lifers.

My armory:

Springfield XD-45 (my first weapon)
Remington 870 12 ga.
Remington 870 20 ga.
Smith&Wesson Hammerless snubby for carry
WASR AK-47
Ruger Mark I .22 (inherited)
CZ .22 Rifle
M&P 9 Julie Golob competition model. (wifes production competition gun)
Glock 34 with competition trigger and sights (my production competition gun)

Guns I want:
Kimber 357 Revolver
Gas Piston ar-15
ak-74

Bandit1

Oct 30, 2017
I've been slowly upgrading my Walther PPQ over the last few months and I believe I've done everything I'm going to do to it:

40774535202_f5f6703ae1_c.jpg

39921413345_39432c6af9_c.jpg

Pretty short and simple list of modifications aimed at practical benefits along with increasing weight in hopes of reducing recoil:

Walther Arms tungsten guide rod
Dawson Precision black rear/fiber optic front sight set
Taran Tactical +6 base pad (21 rounds total)
Streamlight TLR-1 300 lumen weapon light

My bump in the night gun. Haven't shot it yet with everything installed, hoping I'll get a chance to in the next few days. Walther's specs say the gun weighs 26 oz unloaded. With the modifications and a fully loaded magazine mine weighs 44 oz, so I'm eager to see how it handles.

OP
OP
hwalker84

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I've been slowly upgrading my Walther PPQ over the last few months and I believe I've done everything I'm going to do to it:

40774535202_f5f6703ae1_c.jpg

39921413345_39432c6af9_c.jpg

Pretty short and simple list of modifications aimed at practical benefits along with increasing weight in hopes of reducing recoil:

Walther Arms tungsten guide rod
Dawson Precision black rear/fiber optic front sight set
Taran Tactical +6 base pad (21 rounds total)
Streamlight TLR-1 300 lumen weapon light

My bump in the night gun. Haven't shot it yet with everything installed, hoping I'll get a chance to in the next few days. Walther's specs say the gun weighs 26 oz unloaded. With the modifications and a fully loaded magazine mine weighs 44 oz, so I'm eager to see how it handles.
You want the Apex trigger? I destroyed my frame trying to kitchen gunsmith it. Just gave me an excuse to buy another.

Bandit1

Oct 30, 2017
You want the Apex trigger? I destroyed my frame trying to kitchen gunsmith it. Just gave me an excuse to buy another.

Yeah I remember you talking about that. I bet an Apex trigger would be really sweet, but the factory trigger is plenty good for me. Maybe if I get another Q later on I'd consider digging into the frame and tinkering around, but for now I should probably leave well enough alone. :)

OP
OP
hwalker84

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Yeah I remember you talking about that. I bet an Apex trigger would be really sweet, but the factory trigger is plenty good for me. Maybe if I get another Q later on I'd consider digging into the frame and tinkering around, but for now I should probably leave well enough alone. :)
Yea. I learned my lesson. Apex installation videos are BS from their site. Several other people mentioned how hard it was to install.

Bandit1

Oct 30, 2017
My wife shot an AR for the first time, and, well, the look on her face says it all. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWt4V3-Cl84

Lol it sure does! She's not a bad shot either! I'm going to have to get me one of those.

Great conversation, I really like Colion from what I've seen of him, I need check out more of his stuff. Never listened to Joe before, but he seems like a cool guy.

Dec 24, 2017
Does anyone here own a Krebs AK, Arsenal AK or a Rifle Dynamics AK?

I build my own AR's, but have no familiarity with AK's other than I shot a WASR once.

I see that Rifle Dynamics has an upgrade service for the Arsenals, and knowing my habit of kitting out my AR's, it seems like I would end up throwing that money into an AK, regardless of what I purchased.

Krebs is also an option, but I'm honestly not the biggest fan of their AR style rear sight on the dust cover. I just don't really feel like it'll hold zero very well.

OP
OP
hwalker84

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
XhiaB7m.jpg

I didn't think these kind of threads would be okay here. I'm a firearm license holder in Canada, this is my AR, I also have a police trade in Glock 17 Gen 4, 10/22 Takedown, Mossberg 500 ZMB Persuader, and I just got a Mosin Nagant 91/30 in the mail the other day that I plan to take shooting tomorrow.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just found this thread. I'll definitely have to post some pics. My current firearm collection is...

MP40 (NFA)
PPSh-41 (NFA)
Polytech Legend AK-47 underfolder (Preband)
Mauser Kar98k

I'm thinking about purchasing a Thompson M1A1 (NFA). I have a keen interest in WWII. As you can tell I appreciate the small arms from that period. Especially the submachine guns used.

Obviously the Poly Legend wasn't used in WWII. However, I've always wanted an AKM with and underfolding stock. There are literally dozens of AK types to choose from. After an exhaustive research I've found that the "Legend" brand AK-47 by Polytech is the best they come. It was imported from China from 1987 to 1988 before George Bush Sr. banned a list of assault guns by executive order in 1988 after a Chinese AK was used in a school shooting in Concord, CA.

Dec 24, 2017
It's that the length of time now? 1 year?

I live in Chicago, so not even an option for me.

I'm gonna start practicing to do pistol comps this summer. So I picked up a CZ Scorpion for the PCC division and a CZ SP-01 tactical from Cajun Gun Works. And there goes my tax refund.

OP
OP
hwalker84

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
It's that the length of time now? 1 year?

I live in Chicago, so not even an option for me.

I'm gonna start practicing to do pistol comps this summer. So I picked up a CZ Scorpion for the PCC division and a CZ SP-01 tactical from Cajun Gun Works. And there goes my tax refund.
Yeah last time I bought a suppressor it was slightly over a year. Sbr forms online are two weeks.

One of these days I'll send my SP-01 to get cajunized.

Dec 24, 2017
Yeah last time I bought a suppressor it was slightly over a year. Sbr forms online are two weeks.

One of these days I'll send my SP-01 to get cajunized.

This CZ is easily the nicest handgun I own. I can see why competition shooters use it. The construction really softens the recoil. Too bad it's really too heavy and large for summertime CC.

Dec 24, 2017
Nicest handgun I have is the HK Mark 23. It's just incredible.

I bet! How soft/smooth does it shoot? I have an FNX 45, and it's pretty nice, but I'd imagine the length and weight of that Mk 23 slide is glorious. Despite the weight I've read that's it's really well balanced. I'm wondering if that's with accessories on the front rail or not. I'd imagine that old school LAM was decently heavy.

OP
OP
hwalker84

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I bet! How soft/smooth does it shoot? I have an FNX 45, and it's pretty nice, but I'd imagine the length and weight of that Mk 23 slide is glorious. Despite the weight I've read that's it's really well balanced. I'm wondering if that's with accessories on the front rail or not. I'd imagine that old school LAM was decently heavy.
Incredibly balanced. I have an FNX 45t and hk45t. The mark 23 feels better than both.

Dec 24, 2017
I have that scope! It was my first 308/7.62 scope. I really like the ACSS reticle and those are on all my powered glass now, I think people also call the BDC pattern.

OP
OP
hwalker84

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Got a couple of new toys.

Kriss Vector 9mm SBR w/ Rugged Obsidian 45 & Holosun 503c
83847646_796710106650_5790304604423979008_o.jpg

SCAR 16s SBR w/ Dead Air Sandman-S & Aimpoint Pro
94122994_518918722133306_6618200593435459584_n.jpg

B&T APC9 Pro w/ Rugged Obsidian 45 & Holosun 510c
99297634_808192111620_2507080493527203840_o.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
I wish suppressos were legal in IL. I'm applying for my an FFL. Only recent purchases were a CZ scorpion and a Thunder Ranch AK from Rifle Dyanmics.

OP
OP
hwalker84

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I shouldn't have said the SCAR 16 and Kriss were new. Their current configurations are new. The SCAR got the barrel chopped and the Kriss is now legally a SBR