• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2017
I spoke to Filip a few times. We were on a podcast together and he was a friendly guy. I feel like he's just really upset right now, possibly at himself. I think he just needs to take a break from social networks and rethink what's happened. This video response isn't helping anything.

I believe he could rebuild his trust with his viewers but it will take a lot of time and a lot of work.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm not defending him here but some of that is beyond reaching. Saying the game runs at 60fps and listing modes and what they entail is not plagiarism. Unless that writer somehow thinks those are original thoughts and not basic info dumps.

The stuff aboutthe joy cons is damn near a direct copy but everything else is like the most basic shit ever.
The thing is, once you have one instance of plagiarism in any body of written work, anything else that has even a passing resemblance to some other source is treated with a level of scrutiny and suspicion it otherwise wouldn't. If the Joycon parts weren't in Felipe's review, I would have agreed that the plagiarism allegations here are a bit of a stretch (though, given that we already have a recorded case of plagiarism by the accused individual, I would not have summarily dismissed the notion either). But given that we already have one instance of a straight lift? All of a sudden, the other similarities start to look less benign and coincidental.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
The people defending him on Twitter blow my fucking mind. I'm seeing stuff like "We all make mistakes" and "He lost his job, stop kicking him while he's down"

This is ridiculous that people think like this.

WightnNerdy

Oct 27, 2017
London, Ontario
I really don't understand what he's trying to get at in this video. He says he takes full responsibility for what happened, but won't admit he plagiarized. He apologizes to IGN, but not to Boomstick. Then calls out Kotaku.

I don't think there's any way to recover from this. Getting caught for plagiarism is one thing, but then denying it while also calling out another game journalist has pretty much ruined his reputation completely.

I will say that people who are attacking his family on social media can leave this planet forever.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Filip would be making a terrible mistake to go the alt-right video game critic of all that is PC and MSM just because he got fired from IGN. I seriously hope he's not that dumb.
Dude is a paid journalist and plagiarized, he's not the smartest person around.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh give me a break...Are we still freaking out over a stupid joke?
It really is weird that with his vast assortment of dumbass statements people tend to focus on a shitty tasteless joke instead of the actually dumb, ignorant, selfish, bigoted and hurtful things he's said in seriousness.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Some of you guys need to get over the Moriarty hatred. He's not even defending the guy.

Lol @ the arm chair psychologists too. Damn if you can tell someone's a sociopath from a 5 minute video, what are they paying these other guys all this money to sit down and properly analyze patients for?

Saying the plagiarism isn't intentional is the same as saying he didn't do it.

That's exactly what he's doing though. That's why it's called a response to allegations and not an apology. He's saying they magically had the exact same review

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really is weird that with his vast assortment of dumbass statements people tend to focus on a shitty tasteless joke instead of the actually dumb, ignorant, selfish, bigoted and hurtful things he's said in seriousness.

I'd be interested to know what he's said that is particularly bigoted. Since that's on a level above dumb, ignorant or selfish.

Not to make this a Colin thread. But I find him fine and about be interested to see his interview of Filip if he agrees.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm most certainly not freaking out. I just think it's silly that people are STILL getting hung up on a joke that, in the grand scheme of things, was relatively harmless (albeit in poor taste, I could see).

Well if you're not freaking out and i'm not freaking out, who's we and why did you post it at me?

Also, jokes are always harmless until you're the constant butt of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Well if you're not freaking out and i'm not freaking out, who's we and why did you post it at me?

Also, jokes are always harmless until you're the constant butt of them.

I only quoted you because of that joke. I just think it's a lazy shot. I enjoy Moriarty's game criticism but I admit he's said some problematic things. I just think that that calling out that, of all things, is silly.

Oct 31, 2017
He had a youtube channel before IGN so maybe that is how youtubers learn to do it. If the only concern is getting the next video up on time. So try and find all the technical facts about a game from like 10 sources then you can put them on a list and read that list for a video preview/review. I think most successful youtubers have their own opinions and words to share and are less technical, but most of the others try to put up content as fast as they can hoping to get subs.

Where I see Filip failing is he seems to love technical details of the games he should be reviewing, and when he reads a sentence full of those technical details about a game he just copies them down without thinking of his own feelings on the game. At some point you would think someone at IGN would have told him this is not the best way to do things.

Ah, I didn't know he used to be a youtuber prior to IGN. This might explain why he did that.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I thought he would be honest with what really happened and make a genuine apology.
This is straight up adding fuel to the fire.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
One day someone will just fucking admit they messed up and it won't happen again. No stupid YouTube video, no deflecting, just admit and put out good original work.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why he didn't just say that he had checked other reviews to see how his own impression faired (as this was an important first debut), and because this opinion was so similar it had obviously stuck in his mind.

I'm an abstract landscape painter, and freely admit to referencing elements of other work that I've seen. It's not intended at the time, but somewhere it can creep into a painting subconsciously as a way to resolve an issue I'm having etc.

I would never however copy a piece of work to a very similar level, that lacks creativity and substance.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only quoted you because of that joke. I just think it's a lazy shot. I enjoy Moriarty's game criticism but I admit he's said some problematic things. I just think that that calling out that, of all things, is silly.

There are other, better examples of Moriarty's douchebaggery in this very thread if you so wish. But i don't think calling out tweets mocking women marching and protesting for their rights is silly, especially in the broader context and pattern of his usual discourse.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this dude should just shut the fuck up and figure out what he is going to do now that he destroyed his career.

also fuck colin

DQDQDQ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I try to look at all resources that I have available to me before I start formulating my own critical opinions so that I can offer the most cohesive possible review."

Translation: "I read other people's opinions to determine what my opinion should be"

"The bottom line is that, what happened with the Dead Cells review was not at all intentional."

Translation: "My intention was that I would not be caught"

All he had to do was sincerely admit fault, go away for a while, and move on. This was about the worst possible response he could have come up with.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, hopefully this guys career within journalism is over. He's not putting out an apology in that text, makes it more about him and how his idiot decision to copy someone elses work caused even bigger idiots rioting and threaten him and his family. Nothing sincere about that response at all.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is going to try to run his YT Channel again, fail hard, and then pivot very hard to please the Alt Right. I mean, the narrative writes itself, corrupt media journalists, fuck Kotaku, etc.

jpnino

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Colin wants to interview him to find out more about the story. If you think Colin embraces plagiarism you need to take a hard look at yourself.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Am I the only one feeling a bit sympathetic for Filip?

I didn't really follow his work before this, so I'm not coming at it from a fan's perspective. More just, I do think it's wild how easily people get swept up into "yeah screw this guy forever" mentalities.

It is completely plausible to me that he may have subconsciously borrowed, or perhaps structured his review a certain way after watching other views. Nobody's brain is perfect and sometimes we think "our" ideas are not in fact our own. That this was Filip's first offense (I don't know about the FIFA review being plagiarized and seems a little bit of a stretch to my eyes) makes it a bit more sad, to me.

I'm not defending plagiarism — just that the punishment for him from the public does not match the crime, IMO. His name has been dragged hard enough that it will be very difficult for him to find another job in this space.

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't really follow his work before this, so I'm not coming at it from a fan's perspective. More just, I do think it's wild how easily people get swept up into "yeah screw this guy forever" mentalities.

It is completely plausible to me that he may have subconsciously borrowed, or perhaps structured his review a certain way after watching other views. Nobody's brain is perfect and sometimes we think "our" ideas are not in fact our own. That this was Filip's first offense (I don't know about the FIFA review being plagiarized and seems a little bit of a stretch to my eyes) makes it a bit more sad, to me.

I'm not defending plagiarism — just that the punishment for him from the public does not match the crime, IMO. His name has been dragged hard enough that it will be very difficult for him to find another job in this space.
There is a point in both videos where the same thing is said AT THE SAME EXACT TIME.
His subconscious must be extremely detailed.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

in a paradoxical way, he is being treated as a journalist, in the sense that a journalist would be also raked at the coals if caught copying someone else works. By feeling sorry for him, you discredit his abilities and put him in an even lower standard, one of the people who have no idea what they are doing.

He deserves having his career as a journalist of gaming completely ruined.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

the punishment for plagiarism being unable to get a job in the field in which you plagiarized is too much?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
What would an interview even accomplish?

Filipe gave his response, and it was total garbage.
There's nothing else to talk about.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

I never even heard of this guy until this, but I will be nice and say that you really must not understand how severe plagiarism is. Allow me to reiterate:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/11225272/

Because bad decisions aren't one size fits all. This is quite honestly the most grievous "bad decision" you can make in the field of journalism, and he absolutely should be fired or else IGN's reputation for journalistic integrity will be worth precisely jack and shit. As a journalist myself, I cannot stress the gravity of stealing another person's words in the world of journalism. It's not just a sin, it is the sin.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Surely as a reviewer, you should be going in blind (mostly) and forming your own critical piece and take on the game? Conforming to other reviewers kinda takes away from your own opinion, doesn't it?
That's so true. Going in with the blinders on should be the norm for reviewers.

Unfortunately I don't think it's uncommon to check how others rate a game before rating it yourself judging by how often similar criticue and praise gets put in the spot light. You can see it in forum threads as well, a thread can start off with praise everywhere but then some critique pops up and slowly it just builds up and over time it slowly shifts into a hate thread. Or vice verse it it starts as a hate thread and slowly turns into a praise thread. Page 1 and Page 20 are often extremely different in tone. If a potential bandwagon starts to move, hate or praise, then everybody seems to want to board it and then it just keeps on going.

Status
Not open for further replies.