• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
He makes some decent concessions including apologizing to IGN, the developers of Dead Cells, and the youtuber he plagiarized. But then he says "but what happened with the Dead Cells review was not intentional" which I take to mean: "I didn't intend to get caught and fired" because the blatant plagiarism was clearly intentional. Those similarities don't happen by accident.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I would love to comment on his YouTube video with this image:

latest

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I suspect that many videogame journos do not have a full understanding as to what constitutes plagiarism.

Get educated, apologize, then move on.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
He could have taken the high road by releasing a written apology and staying out of the limelight for a few months, but instead he releases a monetized video where he trashes Jason for doing his job AND never really apologizes or takes full responsibility? Interesting strategy there

nailed it.

but there's some great wordsmithing with this video, basically saying it's unintentionally intentional.

he's unredeemable with calling out Jason.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I have a feeling this dude is gonna do a Colin Moriarty style heel turn and start pandering to the alt right when he's unemployable.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, I often unintentionally copied someone's homework in school, too.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
He's trying to appear as sincere and apologetic as possible, without actually owning up to the crime itself, to get his YouTube career back.

I don't think it's going to work.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's trying to appear as sincere and apologetic as possible, without actually owning up to the crime itself, to get his YouTube career back.

I don't think it's going to work.
It works on some people, because they don't listen to what he is saying and instead to how he is saying it.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What rubbish. This bullshit takes it from irresponsible to downright malicious.

Let this idiot sink into the obscurity he deserves.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing a Youtuber who managed to stay in games journalism exactly until he had to write his first own review to an a actual journalist like Jason seems rather silly to me. This was a big case and Schreier and Kotaku extensively covered it. Because that's their job.
I'm not comparing the two as equals. This guy is a moron whereas Jason is an incredible journalist, he is THE best games journalist. But he can also be petty and emotional and that comes across in his articles. Hell even in this thread he's come back and slung (?) shit at this guy to whip up a reaction. In what other industry do journalists fling shit at each other in public? Why does that happen in gaming?

All I'm saying is the guy is clearly in the wrong but calling on the mob is uncalled for, and that is partly what Jason has been doing.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Some of his followers seem to be really sympathetic towards him with this video.

I was really hoping he worked hard to correct his ways and start back up his YT channel, own up to his wrongdoings and saying he won't do it in the future...was going to sub just to see how he rebounds the correct way...

But his video being monetized (which he can de-monetize if he wanted) is likely for clicks which will be a lot of them, and him not really owning up to it being anything but intentional plagiarism is dissapointing, along with blaming Schreirer.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
He could have taken the high road by releasing a written apology and staying out of the limelight for a few months, but instead he releases a monetized video where he trashes Jason for doing his job AND never really apologizes or takes full responsibility? Interesting strategy there

He said it that he wants to keep making videos.

Taking few months as a break would have probably meant losing thousands of followers in the meantime because of what happened, and that for sure would have pushed down his channel based on how the algorithm works (you're not allowed to have such a drop of subs and views)

Look at the comments, it totally worked, people are already defending him, despite he said it was unintentional and the fact that he's making money from this video.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, he also liked a bunch of positive comments so they show up first under his video

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's acting sincere and apologizing and praising everybody but not actually owning up to plagarism, other than hinting that everybody does it

This is a bad apology

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Not intentional, yet lifts entire sentences, word for word, from someone else's review...huh?

Nobody is going to believe this guy. Time to think about a new career.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
3 IGN editors(Justin, Tom Marks, and Dan Stapleton) so far has called out/disagreed with his video.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Won't be watching or reading anything Filip puts out...I liked him on NVC, was chill and let everyone else talk but no more.

..just fucking own up...sheesh

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
"Not intentional," lol. Hard to be sympathetic given this response.

I guess if you make it through high school / college without ever getting caught copying papers in that way, you would just keep falling back on it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
He said it that he wants to keep making videos.

Taking few months as a break would have probably meant losing thousands of followers in the meantime because of what happened, and that for sure would have pushed down his channel based on how the algorithm works (you're not allowed to have such a drop of subs and views)

He hasn't posted anything on his channel in months before this. Not since he started working at IGN last year. So taking a break would have meant absolutley nothing for his channel, which I think might have possibly grown in subscribers since he got caught. He was never a big channel

bender

Oct 27, 2017
He should have added a few moments of playing with his dog before the long sigh to intro the video.

On a serious note, I figured with how quickly the firing occurred that he had owned up to his transgressions. Not that he had much hope of ever resurrecting his career in a mainstream gaming outlet, but that response puts a few more nails in the coffin. Weird video.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm not comparing the two as equals. This guy is a moron whereas Jason is an incredible journalist, he is THE best games journalist. But he can also be petty and emotional and that comes across in his articles. Hell even in this thread he's come back and slung (?) shit at this guy to whip up a reaction. In what other industry do journalists fling shit at each other in public? Why does that happen in gaming?

All I'm saying is the guy is clearly in the wrong but calling on the mob is uncalled for, and that is partly what Jason has been doing.

Most likely not calling on the mob so much as calling him out on his transparent ploy here. I'd be a bit pissed too if someone else did something wrong and I got painted as the real villain for merely reporting on a story.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Dude is reaching. He's basically saying I didn't intend to plagiarize when I started but..

And Jason's reporting was just him doing his job. In the heat of the moment, I can partly see why Filip thought it was dog piling but it was just honest reporting.

This set a bad tone. Just say you made a mistake and you learned your lesson. Don't give some roundabout explanation.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I could feel my heart rate going up while watching the video. This guy has some nerve attacking schreier.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It wasn't intentional but I take full responsibility for what happened? You had a chance to explain how it happened and you just blew it man.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I have a feeling this dude is gonna do a Colin Moriarty style heel turn and start pandering to the alt right when he's unemployable.

He's likely trying to play nice to see if he can make it as a regular game channel on YouTube. When that inevitably backfires I can definitely see him going that route.

Marqroq

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people never actually apologise in these videos? It's always to the effect of "I'm sorry I was caught" or "I'm sorry you were offended" but never "I'm sorry for what I did and I will try to be better". Just be honest.
I'm starting to think it's because anyone who is doing YT/social media vids for clicks might lack the ability. There seems to be a certain lack of shame involved for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.