• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? This is absurd.

Over decades of service and hundreds of staff without qualm, but one psychopath slips through the cracks and their hiring process is suddenly "not good enough"? This happens all the time in industries, publications and services of all kinds. Sometimes an employee simply turns out to be a corrupt piece of shit that can slip through the normal checks in place, because it isn't the norm.

This is a one-off. The only reason this is news is because it has almost never happens. And they handled it dutifully, swiftly and respectfully. They've done everything within reason to amend this. And no, the solution shouldn't be to turn their hiring process into the equivalent of the TSA and scanning their entire work history with the entirety of all written/flimed reviews on the internet. It's unfair to them, and unfair to the potential hard-working editorialists and other staff that apply and genuinely love games and put their true honest passion into their work. They shouldn't be disrespected just because Filip didn't respect his position.
Any other company would reevaluate their hiring process after allowing a serial whatever into the equivalent of an executive position. If they're not assessing where they failed in the hiring process and what, if anything, could be done to stop that in the future then that's a willful disregard of duty for the folks running that business.

How do you know this is a one off? I agree it's likely a one off, but IGN's hiring practices clearly wouldn't catch anyone who was doing this so we don't actually know.

Nice strawman too. There's a vast gulf of options between improving a hiring process and becoming like TSA. Any writer or creative type that's insulted by their work history being reviewed should find a new field. Your credentials are your work and that is the only way to assess whether you should get a position or not. It's not disrespectful to verify people aren't lying on their job resumes.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what's the end game? He's been fired, publicly humiliated, the entire internet hates him, he probably won't find a job for quite some time, we've got armchair psychologists diagnosing him with autism now. Where does it end?

It doesn't, until he has been found to be a plagiarizer x10 and then he can be upgraded from a sociopath into a psycopath.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I like IGN. Been visiting the site for years and have no intention of stopping. I don't think filip's actions reflect the vast majority of IGN.

But this is still IGN's fault and responsibility to remedy.

We don't know their hiring process but the results show it's not good enough and needs to be adjusted.

We don't know how much money they have to spend on hiring but the results indicate it's not enough.

Whether IGN did the best they could or not, this is their fault. They hired him. They gave him the Nintendo Editor position based on the volume of vetting they felt comfortable with, which the results indicate was not enough.

IGN being responsible for this doesn't make them bad or incompetent or anynting negative. It only means their processes and procedures allowed a serial plagiarist to become their Nintendo Editor, which the results show was a huge mistake.

I keep seeing this sentiment thrown about, but I think it's really misguided for several reasons. Their hiring and onboarding procedure will likely change to some degree, but you're never going to be able to absolutely prevent a new hire from misrepresenting themselves in some fashion -- regardless of profession. You can verify degrees, you can confirm prior employers and dates of employment, and you can ask for references/letters of recommendation from prior supervisors. As a content producer in the entertainment field, I'd imagine work product/portfolios play a rather substantial role as well. And while you can certainly check some content against a database for matches/instances of potential plagiarism, I'd imagine it'd be a much more manual process to check for what occurred here -- pulling from a text-based source and using that as an audio script. It just doesn't seem feasible to do that deep a dive on a potential employee to do a job that -- and please don't take this the wrong way -- isn't an actual matter of life and death. I'd also imagine the costs to continually monitor on a level like this would be substantial. And guess what? That money has to come from somewhere! Would it really be worth the money and resources, to build for the exception rather than the rule?

That just seems naive.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? This is absurd.

Over decades of service and hundreds of staff without qualm, but one psychopath slips through the cracks and their hiring process is suddenly "not good enough"? This happens all the time in industries, publications and services of all kinds. Sometimes an employee simply turns out to be a corrupt piece of shit that can slip through the normal checks in place, because it isn't the norm.

This is a one-off. The only reason this is news is because it has almost never happens. And they handled it dutifully, swiftly and respectfully. They've done everything within reason to amend this. And no, the solution shouldn't be to turn their hiring process into the equivalent of the TSA and scanning their entire work history with the entirety of all written/flimed reviews on the internet. It's unfair to them, and unfair to the potential hard-working editorialists and other staff that apply and genuinely love games and put their true honest passion into their work. They shouldn't be disrespected just because Filip didn't respect his position.
Honestly I'm still wondering if they let him write in front of them during the hiring process. They do that in jobs you gotta write for.

Then talk about let his writing skills grow? smh. That kind job u need to be cold already at writing

Oct 25, 2017
I applaud Brian's post and think it's exactly why this thread has run its course.

People have had their say but obviously the fallout has been quite emotional and Miucin's former co-workers need to move on as best they can, of course they come here or places like it, there's no value in giving him more regard surely?

While I respect the men and women at IGN immensely, that doesn't stop me from criticising the site or its content.

It's a little obsessive in here now though.

If people are just waiting for each new page in here to contain another new, real example of review plagiarism (not a video about HD rumble), It won't be a gotcha moment.

It's not outside the realm of possibility to assume the staff there like games and want to read about them in places like this. They are professional enough not to engage with us on 'other incidents' or the ramifications, we should show some courtesy towards them as well.

Close it.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're being completely ridiculous.

And you are still blaming the victim.
They hired a serial plagiarist as their Nintendo Editor because they didn't vet him well enough. Whatever they needed to do to catch him before hiring him, they didn't do that and that's their fault.

Blaming the victim? If a journalist publishes a story based on BS because they didn't vet the source enough, that's the journalists fault and their credibility rightfully takes a hit as a result. IGN is no different. They did what they felt comfortable doing in order to make him an editor and clearly that wasn't enough.

Why are people so concerned with IGN not being responsible in the first place? It's not some horrible mark against them or something. They're the ones operating the media outlet, they're the ones hiring people to publish on their media outlet, they're the ones vetting the hires and content being put out on their media outlet and in the case of Filip, they failed.

No newsroom in the world would say "oh well your source lied to you so here's a mulligan!" It is the job of a journalist and journalistic outfits to vet and verify everything they do.

Here's a nice standard from the Columbia Journalism Review
"If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out — This is a saying popularized by the folks at the City News Bureau.* Perhaps it's not as rhythmic as my "verification before dissemination" line, but the idea is the same. In this case, he line is great because it includes a built-in caution about sources. Familiarity and history do not excuse you from checking out the information. Nothing does. (Sorry, mom.)"
https://archives.cjr.org/behind_the_news/eight_simple_rules_for_doing_a.php

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, most video game websites don't really have practices in place to stop plagiarism because hiring people who love to write and talk about video games from their own personal perspective is the whole fucking point. Millions of people consume IGN's content every month and many of them would KILL to get paid to talk about video games for a living. It's not like in high school where you have three days to write about a book you have no interest in and you half-ass some book report so you can pass and get on with your life. It's a video game! We hire you because you say you love them and you love to talk about them, because why wouldn't you? That's why you applied to begin with!

In games journalism you get hired because you fucking love video games and can speak on them from your own perspective. I've been at IGN for nine years and the idea of somebody faking that but still wanting to work there is completely foreign to me. When I found out about this, I naively thought this was an isolated situation where a person was drowning in deadlines and self doubt about their own abilities and made a huge, isolated mistake in appropriating somebody else's work. Not justifying that, of course. As it turns out, it's but one incident in a string of possibly dozens. It's unheard of in a field full of passionate enthusiasts.

This last week has completely fucked me up on a personal and a professional level. It sucks. We let down our audience, ourselves, and most importantly, everyone that had their work taken from them. I'm genuinely saddened by the whole situation.

Thanks for posting, Brian. I can only imagine how horrible this has all been to deal with. I can tell you that as an IGN fan, I'm able to recognize that Filip's poor choices do not represent the IGN brand, and will not change my opinion of IGN moving forward. I think y'all have handled this the best way you possibly can, and I look forward to the incident going away, and IGN continuing to thrive.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
In games journalism you get hired because you fucking love video games and can speak on them from your own perspective. I've been at IGN for nine years and the idea of somebody faking that but still wanting to work there is completely foreign to me. When I found out about this, I naively thought this was an isolated situation where a person was drowning in deadlines and self doubt about their own abilities and made a huge, isolated mistake in appropriating somebody else's work. Not justifying that, of course. As it turns out, it's but one incident in a string of possibly dozens. It's unheard of in a field full of passionate enthusiasts.

Well said Brian.

Can we please move on and just forget this idiot Filip guy? I'd much rather have a new thread discussing how Nintendo Voice Chat can get back to the awesomeness that it once was back in the Jose days!

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing this sentiment thrown about, but I think it's really misguided for several reasons. Their hiring and onboarding procedure will likely change to some degree, but you're never going to be able to absolutely prevent a new hire from misrepresenting themselves in some fashion -- regardless of profession. You can verify degrees, you can confirm prior employers and dates of employment, and you can ask for references/letters of recommendation from prior supervisors. As a content producer in the entertainment field, I'd imagine work product/portfolios play a rather substantial role as well. And while you can certainly check some content against a database for matches/instances of potential plagiarism, I'd imagine it'd be a much more manual process to check for what occurred here -- pulling from a text-based source and using that as an audio script. It just doesn't seem feasible to do that deep a dive on a potential employee to do a job that -- and please don't take this the wrong way -- isn't an actual matter of life and death. I'd also imagine the costs to continually monitor on a level like this would be substantial. And guess what? That money has to come from somewhere! Would it really be worth the money and resources, to build for the exception rather than the rule?

That just seems naive.
I would never suggest they can absolutely stop it from occurring. Someone will always break the system. That doesn't excuse one's system from being breakable. Part of their vetting is surely identifying if the person is capable of the job and any bad stuff in their history. They failed to find these things, which was their responsibility to find. This doesn't mean they're incompetent or negligent or bad people, it just means they failed to successfully accomplish one part of their job.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Is this specific to video game reviews, because it would seem like even the way you view the game could change if you watch other reviews before writing your own. I can't see a movie critic doing that (though maybe it does happen).
Should have clarified, but it got lost in this rampant thread. The critical reviews I was doing (music, movies, games) were months after initial release, so in those instances I checked coverage to make sure I wasn't treading old ground. Like how many outlets revisit games months or years later to see how its shaped up. In regards to critical reviews during the launch window, I wouldn't refer to other sources in order to avoid situations like this one.

Jabstab

Oct 30, 2017
Arizona
A person going by @joseph39151 on Twitter has identified what looks like another, 2017 instance of plagiarism from this person, this time based off of a post at the "old place."

The user post in question:

Miucin:

The post and the video were submitted two days apart.

LMAO. There's a reason why he cuts to switch footage when he says it. He doesn't want people to see he's reading right from Gaf.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the end game? He's been fired, publicly humiliated, the entire internet hates him, he probably won't find a job for quite some time, we've got armchair psychologists diagnosing him with autism now. Where does it end?

It will end in time indefinitely or if he commits suicide. If he keeps talking or new stuff happens it won't end. And going forward in the future any time he tries something that puts him in the spotlight of the public people will dig this up for round 2.

I imagine the best thing to do is give a well thought out apology(if you gotta fake it all and the sincerity included then go for it), and just go off the radar.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well said Brian.

Can we please move on and just forget this idiot Filip guy? I'd much rather have a new thread discussing how Nintendo Voice Chat can get back to the awesomeness that it once was back in the Jose days!
I mean... just listen to the GameXplain folks. They do their homework, work hard and produce tons of content. If IGN was smart they'd poach one of those guys and give them a salary worth living on.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
We're in the youtube / twitch era. No one values writing about games anymore. So of course they'll steal to rush it out and not waste time on something that is completely unimportant to them.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For the record, most video game websites don't really have practices in place to stop plagiarism because hiring people who love to write and talk about video games from their own personal perspective is the whole fucking point. Millions of people consume IGN's content every month and many of them would KILL to get paid to talk about video games for a living. It's not like in high school where you have three days to write about a book you have no interest in and you half-ass some book report so you can pass and get on with your life. It's a video game! We hire you because you say you love them and you love to talk about them, because why wouldn't you? That's why you applied to begin with!

This last week has completely fucked me up on a personal and a professional level. It sucks. We let down our audience, ourselves, and most importantly, everyone that had their work taken from them. I'm genuinely saddened by the whole situation.

Thanks for the taking the time to pop in and give your perspective Brian, I don't envy you and your colleagues the stress this has caused.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Totally in agreement, it's fucking wild to me that someone would feel the need to steal something when talking about video games. It comes so incredibly natural to me and one million posters here on ERA that I cannot even fathom stealing someone else's words.

When you are passionate about something, and you love something it's easy to talk and drone on about it for hours on end.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
I mean... just listen to the GameXplain folks. They do their homework, work hard and produce tons of content. If IGN was smart they'd poach one of those guys and give them a salary worth living on.
Their podcast is so boring though... I love their analysis and review videos, but something about their podcast, maybe the format, idk, just doesn't do it for me

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I would never suggest they can absolutely stop it from occurring. Someone will always break the system. That doesn't excuse one's system from being breakable. Part of their vetting is surely identifying if the person is capable of the job and any bad stuff in their history. They failed to find these things, which was their responsibility to find. This doesn't mean they're incompetent or negligent or bad people, it just means they failed to successfully accomplish one part of their job.

I get your passion, friend, but you contradict yourself quite a bit. And speaking as someone who's hired several dozen people over the past 15 years or so, let me assure you, this happens everywhere and it doesn't necessarily mean you've a poor hiring process. It's a bit like a contract in that the implicit assumption is both parties are earnest in coming to the table to enter into a relationship with each other. But that isn't always true and sometimes, it's nigh impossible to tell until after the relationship's commenced.

I'm sure there are others with far more experience than I who could expand on this for you, and anyone else still confused.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A person going by @joseph39151 on Twitter has identified what looks like another, 2017 instance of plagiarism from this person, this time based off of a post at the "old place."

Miucin:

LOL where the hell are the people that defend this guy now

Fucking hell.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They hired a serial plagiarist as their Nintendo Editor because they didn't vet him well enough. Whatever they needed to do to catch him before hiring him, they didn't do that and that's their fault.

Blaming the victim? If a journalist publishes a story based on BS because they didn't vet the source enough, that's the journalists fault and their credibility rightfully takes a hit as a result. IGN is no different. They did what they felt comfortable doing in order to make him an editor and clearly that wasn't enough.

Why are people so concerned with IGN not being responsible in the first place? It's not some horrible mark against them or something. They're the ones operating the media outlet, they're the ones hiring people to publish on their media outlet, they're the ones vetting the hires and content being put out on their media outlet and in the case of Filip, they failed.

No newsroom in the world would say "oh well your source lied to you so here's a mulligan!" It is the job of a journalist and journalistic outfits to vet and verify everything they do.

Here's a nice standard from the Columbia Journalism Review
"If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out — This is a saying popularized by the folks at the City News Bureau.* Perhaps it's not as rhythmic as my "verification before dissemination" line, but the idea is the same. In this case, he line is great because it includes a built-in caution about sources. Familiarity and history do not excuse you from checking out the information. Nothing does. (Sorry, mom.)"
https://archives.cjr.org/behind_the_news/eight_simple_rules_for_doing_a.php

Nope.

The amount of research needed to find out what he did beforehand is totally unreasonable to expect from IGN.

That does not mean that IGN has a problem or that they need to change anything.

IGN's only responsibility in the end was to fire the guy - which they did.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017

GameXplain is the OG offshoot enthusiast outlet. Andre left behind opportunities at major outlets like IGN and Gamespot to found GX. I can't imagine anyone in the GX crew leaving for a big outlet.

On topic: It's good to see Brian and Justin write responses. Keep your chin up guys. What happened sucks, and it keeps getting worse. But it's not the fault of anyone but Filip.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I never used the word autism if you're referencing my post. I was simply wondering out-loud what kind of person it takes to build a career on other people's opinions and writings in an industry founded on personal opinions and writings. It's baffling to me and, personally, "social disorder" is a FAR more flattering explanation than most other alternatives.

As far as your question is concerned: End game? There is no end game. Discussion will continue as long as the conversation is relevant which it still very much so is. If your'e trying to illicit sympathy for any of the backlash you listed, I have none. Those are all very much so reasonable consequences for his actions.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I never used the word autism if you're referencing my post. I was simply wondering out-loud what kind of person it takes to build a career on other people's opinions and writings in an industry founded on personal opinions and writings. It's baffling to me and, personally, "social disorder" is a FAR more flattering explanation than most other alternatives.

It's certainly not flattering to those of us with said social disorders! I understand where you're coming from, I don't think you're being malicious, and I empathize with folks who look for a logical explanation for everything, but sometimes there just isn't one. Some people are just jerks. It's not more complicated than that.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been four days since the apology and new things are coming to light daily..that is why the discussion is still going.

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm still wondering if they let him write in front of them during the hiring process. They do that in jobs you gotta write for.

Then talk about let his writing skills grow? smh. That kind job u need to be cold already at writing
What? Writing during the interview process? Ew, no.

I have a portfolio and many samples to share, or I'll write something beforehand to share with them. But to write something during the interview? That's goofy. Once in a blue moon there are fire drills where I'll have to write something that fast (as in, maybe a piece of marketing associated with a lobbying or regulatory effort), but that's the exception and not the rule.

There are more important things to do during an interview than that, writer or not.

PS: This thread feels like it's filled with people that haven't worked much, especially in collaborative creative fields.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
What? Writing during the interview process? Ew, no.

I have a portfolio and many samples to share, or I'll write something beforehand to share with them. But to write something during the interview? That's goofy. Once in a blue moon there are fire drills where I'll have to write something that fast (as in, maybe a piece of marketing associated with a lobbying or regulatory effort), but that's the exception and not the rule.

There are more important things to do during an interview than that, writer or not.

PS: This thread feels like it's filled with people that haven't worked much, especially in collaborative creative fields.

Yeah this made me do a double-take too. I've never been asked to write during an interview nor have I asked it of any other writer I interviewed. A portfolio and maybe a work assignment (not on the spot) is more typical.

I don't see how this would've helped in this situation, either — Filip clearly wasn't hired for the quality of his writing in the first place but for his (seemingly at the time) multi-disciplinary skills.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Miucin:

Goodness gracious me. Seriously this well runs deep.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that message board copy is really something. Christ.

It was pretty clear the guy has some real issues from his fake apology video (where did he get that from?!) where he uses the words "plagiarism allegations" to start it, and then the only other time he uses the word plagiarize at all is when he's going after Jason Schreier (in his...apology?)

Anyway I don't blame IGN a bit. Really never even thought of it like that. They removed the review and investigated and fired the guy. Exactly what they should have done given the situation.

And while what this guy did is really, really fucked up and he should never work in the industry again imo, I hope he gets any help he may need for his own well being.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

The amount of research needed to find out what he did beforehand is totally unreasonable to expect from IGN.

That does not mean that IGN has a problem or that they need to change anything.

IGN's only responsibility in the end was to fire the guy - which they did.
Then what is reasonable to expect IGN to find? Since you're so aware of their technological and economical bindings, instead of just saying "no," please explain the vetting capabilities of IGN?

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get your passion, friend, but you contradict yourself quite a bit. And speaking as someone who's hired several dozen people over the past 15 years or so, let me assure you, this happens everywhere and it doesn't necessarily mean you've a poor hiring process. It's a bit like a contract in that the implicit assumption is both parties are earnest in coming to the table to enter into a relationship with each other. But that isn't always true and sometimes, it's nigh impossible to tell until after the relationship's commenced.

I'm sure there are others with far more experience than I who could expand on this for you, and anyone else still confused.
Where did I contradict myself? If you're hiring process fails then it wasn't good enough.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then what is reasonable to expect IGN to find? Since you're so aware of their technological and economical bindings, instead of just saying "no," please explain the vetting capabilities of IGN?

Am I Right to assume that you have not set foot in the business world yet?

Because you thinking that background check and vetting process for an ordinary job should be the same as applying for a position in the CIA is super far removed from reality.

You are having completely unreasonable expectations.

Deleted member 6573

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Miucin:

Holy shit! How deep does the rabbit hole go?

So the list of shit he has done wrong keeps growing.

1. Copying Dead Cells review
2. Not owning up to what he did
3. Not apologizing to Boomstick
4. Shifting the story to playing the victim of being harassed
5. Making a typical apology video with similar cues, big sigh in the beginning, turning the camera off at the end
6. Monetising the apology video
7. Calling out Kotaku for doing their job
8. Copying the FIFA review
9. Copying the Metroid video
10. Deleting the apology video basically prooving it was a shit video
11. Deleting old videos to remove evidence after telling Kotaku to check for themselves for more examples which they did discover
12. Copying Neogaf post nearly word for word without even sourcing where he got the information.

Talk about fucking up repeatedly

Pretty fucking deep it looks like.

This guy should never be hired for any reputable position ever again. This is beyond salvageable...it's pathological lying and deceit at this point.

Last edited:

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)

serveimage

Status
Not open for further replies.