• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Dan Stapleton is going to be working overtime. Everything he did for IGN is now suspect, ans rightfully so it seems because that rabbit hole goes deep.

At this point would be it be going overboard to say that they should just pull anything he ever wrote for them? There are just too many examples of his plagiarism at this point so it seems like they should be skeptical of everything he did for them.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
So, what are the chances other journalists/sites will try to file legal action against him or try to get financial damages? I'd say pretty high, evidence just keeps racking up.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, take down all of his reviews and editorials, make them unavailable for the moment, and do a thorough investigation of each of them. Quarantine his works like Madagascar because they are contaminated until proven otherwise.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna lay down a little bet and say the Bayonetta 2 review wont get taken down after it has been analysed by Dan.

Deku

Oct 25, 2017
All his articles and reviews should be wiped from IGN and YouTube. Easier to assume it's all stolen and get rid of it right now. It can only get more embarrassing for IGN from here on out as people comb through his (stolen) work
It's kind of sad all the "work" he did will cause many hours of wasted work for others. I guess interns and random people on the internet will do it.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard some sentiment along the lines of, you know, "that's what you get when you hire a YouTuber" and that isn't a sentiment I agree with at all. Because that YouTuber still had to write a script. I mean, unless they stole the script. But the point is there is no firm wall between WRITTEN WORK | VIDEO WORK. The video work is written work - it's a very porous wall. Traditional writing and script writing are super different - a lot of people with traditional editorial backgrounds really struggle at first with the choppier, punchier way scripts need to be written. But it's still just using a muscle in a different way, instead of using a different muscle group entirely.

I did say you shouldn't hire a YouTuber and expect them to be able to handle the full load of being the "Nintendo Editor" immediately on the writing side of things, but looking at Filip's profile on LinkedIn (assuming that's legit, lol), his resume easily would qualify him for an entry-level traditional journalism job.

I think this was the case of a guy just thinking he could get away with it to cut corners/meet deadlines.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I am not sure how the editor(s) missed this much. He got away with it for so long.

Filip Miucin (ex-IGN)
Square Enix has created what feels like a storybook world that extrudes the 2D RPG dungeon maps of the 16-bit console era and transcends them into the third dimension — complete with atmospheric lighting and shadow effects from the modern era.
[Sources: 1, 2]

Jeremy Parish (Polygon)
The developers have created a storybook world that extrudes the dungeon maps of 16-bit console RPGs into three dimensions, then soaks everything in atmospheric lighting and shadow effects.
[Source]
My word. Mr. Parish has such a distinct writing style you would think it best not to lift from him.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are definitely a couple of lines that seems to have originated from the Polygon review. But the most blatant one, comes in his closing paragraph (which is the one that sounded the most weird one when I posted about it):

Polygon
"more people will be able to relive two of the best hack-and-slash games of the last decade."

Filip
"allowed me to relive some of the most exhilarating, action-packed, hack-and-slash moments from the last decade of gaming"

Again, in the same chronological order. I think this one is lifted. Why would Filip specifically say "allow me to relive"? He never played the Wii U Bayo 2, and why use that specific phrasing?

And why say "the last decade"? Bayo 2 did not come out in the last decade.
I checked Wii U and Switch Bayo 2 reviews from 10 different sites (gamespot, usgamer, nintendolife, etc.), and none of them mentioned the words "relive" or "decade" anywhere on their reviews. I think this is another clear cut case of Filip taking someone else's phrases and modifying them as his.

perl6.gif

EDIT: lol dat Octopath.

I can't.

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So, what are the chances other journalists/sites will try to file legal action against him or try to get financial damages? I'd say pretty high, evidence just keeps racking up.

I can't imagine anybody would since IGN is actively looking into it. He was already let go and no major outlet is going to bring him on in light of everything that has come out and that continues to be uncovered.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
LOL I didn't notice IGN posted a "We're hiring" tweet a few hours ago. As you can expect, the replies are what you're imagining. I can see IGN having to deal with this Filip mess for a while

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
It's really easy to tell now. Just read one of his reviews (*edit Op-ed) and look for keywords that stand out.

IGN's Octopath traveler article, July 17 2018:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07...-out-about-what-makes-their-game-so-appealing

So I just googled "octopath traveler" and "storybook" and got the original.

Polygon's Octopath Traveler review, July 12 2018:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/12/17563366/octopath-traveler-review-nintendo-switch-jrpg
Holy hell.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure how the editor(s) missed this much. He got away with it for so long.

Filip Miucin (ex-IGN)
Square Enix has created what feels like a storybook world that extrudes the 2D RPG dungeon maps of the 16-bit console era and transcends them into the third dimension — complete with atmospheric lighting and shadow effects from the modern era.
[Sources: 1, 2]

Jeremy Parish (Polygon)
The developers have created a storybook world that extrudes the dungeon maps of 16-bit console RPGs into three dimensions, then soaks everything in atmospheric lighting and shadow effects.
[Source]

of all the words NOT to change...extrudes? Bruh.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the only people on the searchable internet that have put those words together in that order are polygon, ign, and acnew.pw

RgHjK9n.png

to anyone else i'd maybe be willing to give the benefit of the doubt but...

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
It's really easy to tell now. Just read one of his reviews (*edit Op-ed) and look for keywords that stand out.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07...-out-about-what-makes-their-game-so-appealing

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/12/17563366/octopath-traveler-review-nintendo-switch-jrpg
Wow! They need to take everything he had made off the site immediately pending complete internal review.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a textbook example as to why you should never challenge the internet to anything

Dude personally made rope then hung himself as soon as he did

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Having said that, who's going around digging up Neogaf posts n shit? I don't think this person is much better to be honest.

Unless he's a journalist why would he waste his own time digging stuff like that up?
I really don't care for this kind of attitude.

Vigilant acts of citizenship should be celebrated, especially in this era of questionable truth.

Journalists can't investigate everything lol wtf

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say it, but IGN should just fucking nuke every single article Miucin has written. I don't trust that anything he wrote or produced was his own independent opinion and didn't steal the ideas or literal text from someone else.

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
Unreal. Every time I refresh this thread, there is at least one new example of plagiarism.

This was a big deal last week, but I'm not sure anyone could predict how widespread his plagiarism was. Way beyond what I think most of us thought was even possible. Mindblowing!

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
It's tenpting to suggest IGN should nuke everything Filip wrote wholesale.

At the same time, they need to go through everything one-by-one, to identify who is owed an apology. They also need to come out with a public statement about the Bayonetta 2 and Octopath previews, just like the statement they made for the Dead Cells review.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how insane this has gotten. It's like he assumed it was okay to borrow entire passages and ideas from others' work. It's mystifying.

Puggsly

Nov 2, 2017
NOLA
All it takes is to transcribe his work and google to find the original sources, good sleuthing internet. His challenge to Jason (and the world really) was the best thing to happen to him, bring his ass down to reality.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Keeps getting better and better. Would love to see if Schriers tweet about having many instances given to him are legit examples of him doing it more.

And big laugh of the "extrude" vocabulary. Im sure he is perfectly aware of what it is now though given the circumstances.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Just saw the video and the GAF post...LOL. WOW! I don't even know what to say, he didn't even try to change up the post, he literally copied word per word.

And he copied from GAF like back then GAF was the still the site people used. What was he thinking? He could of cited CarthOhNoes and nobody would of cared.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Holy fucking shit

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This deserves a requote after two Polygon articles were found to be plagiarized.

And he said this before he was caught.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
These latest examples are blowing my mind. The paper trail of plagiarism Filip left all over the internet is ridiculous. I'm surprised he thought he could get away with it. He straight up copies key words, opinions, and even the progression of ideas. Just blatant.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. I have nothing to say. We are at like what, 5 more incidents?
-FIFA
-Samus Returns
-CarthOhNoes' joycon explanation
-Bayonetta
-Octopath

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wow, so it turns out as expected. He has plagiarized other's works for years. I feel bad for IGN.

Seems like he has Cryptomnesia indeed.
Cryptomnesia occurs when a forgotten memory returns without it being recognized as such by the subject, who believes it is something new and original. It is a memory bias whereby a person may falsely recall generating a thought, an idea, a tune, or a joke,[1] not deliberately engaging in plagiarism but rather experiencing a memory as if it were a new inspiration.
Or maybe not. He's just a lazy editor.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
These latest examples are blowing my mind. The paper trail of plagiarism Filip left all over the internet is ridiculous. I'm surprised he thought he could get away with it. He straight up copies key words, opinions, and even the progression of ideas. Just blatant.

Look at his Twitter account.

He fundamentally doesn't understand what plagiarism means. Let's forget about him understanding the moral implications. He doesn't get it as a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.