• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 6573

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He literally challenged the internet to find more examples when he knowingly plagiarized. What did you expect would happen?

I really think there is something wrong with him, no one could possibly be that stupid.

If there's one thing I've learned in 7 years of being on a forum and having insider information...it's NEVER fan the flames of the Internet and never draw undue attention to yourself.

Personally I think he likes the attention...which makes sense because he monetized his apology video.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I am in the business world and in my previous work personally prepped security clearance applications. You e repeatedly exaggerated what I believe a vetting process, which I've not detailed and only said ign clearly needs to fix theirs, should be by comparing it to TSA and now a CIA check. You've done this without presenting even the edges of an argument as to why. You've simply stated it's outrageous and ridiculous to expect but you haven't said what makes that so.

I'll ask again though—what can be expected of IGNs vetting process in your opinion? What's the volume and ratio of plagiarized to original works that one needs to create before it's unreasonable to catch them as plagiarizers during the vetting process?

I don't have an answer for you, but I think I've seen enough from you to say that you absolutely would not make it through the interview process with me. Unless you are one of those agressive online/mild in person types.

You've received thoughtful responses from several other posters in this thread, so let's hear it. Tell us how you make this process "failure-proof".

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For the record, most video game websites don't really have practices in place to stop plagiarism because hiring people who love to write and talk about video games from their own personal perspective is the whole fucking point.

BrianAltano
By the way, do you guys have an intentions to keep Filip's previous reviews? I personally believe you should remove them. Imagine if someone finds out, weeks or months from now, that he also plagiarized some parts from some other random youtuber too? IGN would be back in the news in a negative way.

Years from now, no one will even remember this guy's name. But you sure as hell can bet people will still be parroting the "ign plagiarists lol".

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is, that post I made on GAF wasn't exactly heavily reseached either; it was just me cobbling together bits I knew and it wasn't in depth - quite why he decided to use that as a source is beyond me: I'm a fricking primary school teacher, not an expert in controller mechanics!

This. Is. The. Best,

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is, that post I made on GAF wasn't exactly heavily reseached either; it was just me cobbling together bits I knew and it wasn't in depth - quite why he decided to use that as a source is beyond me: I'm a fricking primary school teacher, not an expert in controller mechanics!
This only makes it so much better.

'I BELIEVE'

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there's one thing I've learned in 6 years of being on a forum and having insider information...it's NEVER fan the flames of the Internet and never draw undue attention to yourself.

Personally I think he likes the attention...which makes sense because he monetized his apology video.
Yeah but then he took down the apology video.

His mom must have smacked him upside the head.

Pat

Oct 27, 2017

Incredible.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
This is my favorite twist of all time

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I find Filip's Bayonetta 2 Switch review weird because he said he didn't have a Wii U, which means he didn't play the original Bayo 2. So why is his Switch review comparing it so much to the Wii U version when he didn't even play it? My guess is he obviously did some of his research by looking at other reviews, but isn't it weird that the entire review is him comparing it to a game he never played?

Seriously, look at his closing comments, it's as if he knows the Wii U version inside out, when in fact he didn't play it.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/14/bayonetta-2-for-nintendo-switch-review

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
For the record, most video game websites don't really have practices in place to stop plagiarism because hiring people who love to write and talk about video games from their own personal perspective is the whole fucking point. Millions of people consume IGN's content every month and many of them would KILL to get paid to talk about video games for a living. It's not like in high school where you have three days to write about a book you have no interest in and you half-ass some book report so you can pass and get on with your life. It's a video game! We hire you because you say you love them and you love to talk about them, because why wouldn't you? That's why you applied to begin with!

In games journalism you get hired because you fucking love video games and can speak on them from your own perspective. I've been at IGN for nine years and the idea of somebody faking that but still wanting to work there is completely foreign to me. When I found out about this, I naively thought this was an isolated situation where a person was drowning in deadlines and self doubt about their own abilities and made a huge, isolated mistake in appropriating somebody else's work. Not justifying that, of course. As it turns out, it's but one incident in a string of possibly dozens. It's unheard of in a field full of passionate enthusiasts.

This last week has completely fucked me up on a personal and a professional level. It sucks. We let down our audience, ourselves, and most importantly, everyone that had their work taken from them. I'm genuinely saddened by the whole situation.

Thanks for chiming in and letting us know what your take is and all that. Always been a fan of you regardless of what I think of IGN today.

giphy.gif

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Filip Miucin retire bitch.

His career is over for sure. The only thing he can hope for is becoming a youtuber which will probably not give him enough income or might just fall flat on its face.

The best thing for him right now is to change careers, acknowledge his actions, learn from this and move on to have a story for someone else to hear so they can learn their lesson. It's too late for him

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017

This is more hilarious than Filip copying the wrong button layout in the Samus Returns example.

Deleted member 6573

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His career is over for sure. The only thing he can hope for is becoming a youtuber which will probably not give him enough income or might just fall flat on its face.

The best thing for him right now is to change careers, acknowledge his actions, learn from this and move on to have a story for someone else to hear so they can learn their lesson. It's too late for him

I don't see how he could even be a viable YouTuber when he's completely destroyed any semblance of goodwill. Every YouTube video will just result in majority downvotes and everyone mocking him in the comments section.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017

If he likes copying stuff he could always go make lists at buzzfeed.

Oct 30, 2017

Fuck I love this forum lol

You are not telling the truth if you can't admit this whole drama has been entertaining as hell. And we don't even have gifs.

From taunting Kotaku and the internet to find more and gave egg in your face was hilarious.

To then finding out he got the R button wrong in Metroid as he copied a review that got it wrong.

To finding out him copying HD rumble post word for word with "my research and here is what I think"

The to have the dude to post in this very thread who made the HD rumble post on NeoGAF say, why did this dude copy me I didn't know the fuck I was on about loooool

Diagol

Oct 25, 2017

This post is AMAZING.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I find Filip's Bayonetta 2 Switch review weird because he said he didn't have a Wii U, which means he didn't play the original Bayo 2. So why is his Switch review comparing it so much to the Wii U version when he didn't even play it? My guess is he obviously did some of his research by looking at other reviews, but isn't it weird that the entire review is him comparing it to a game he never played?

Seriously, look at his closing comments, it's as if he knows the Wii U version inside out, when in fact he didn't play it.
This rabbit hole goes deep. At this point, we can safely assume that literally every review he's ever written is plagiarized to some degree or another. It's just a matter of taking each one and ID'ing the review he copied from. (And thanks to the internet, that probably won't take too long...)

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IGN does not consist of 1.000 internet detectives that know what they have to look for and with too much time on their hand.

How about that as a limitation?
So they could do what 999 internet detectives can?

I mean what do you think is best they could reasonably do? Run 3 past articles through a plagiarism checker? 5? None? Should they google the persons name and plagiarism to see if there's any accusations out there? In your opinion What should I reasonably expect in regards to how ign vets who and what it publishes?

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, he's a video game editor who gets paid 40,000 a year, not someone holding nuclear launch codes. He's literally one step above intern.
He wasn't literally one step above an intern. An editor is the head of their section. He's responsible for all its content. He's in charge of staff. He hosts their premier Nintendo podcast.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an answer for you, but I think I've seen enough from you to say that you absolutely would not make it through the interview process with me. Unless you are one of those agressive online/mild in person types.

You've received thoughtful responses from several other posters in this thread, so let's hear it. Tell us how you make this process "failure-proof".
I haven't received a thoughtful response regarding the limitations of ign's vetting process. No one can describe what the limits are. All I've said is clearly they need to improve it and, particularly in light of Brian Altono's comment that they don't check for plagiarism when hiring, they're responsible for what they publish.

IGN handled it perfectly and they've not lost credibility with me but maybe they would've caught him beforehand with a days work, maybe not. At lest they've had done something for that significant a position.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
So they could do what 999 internet detectives can?

I mean what do you think is best they could reasonably do? Run 3 past articles through a plagiarism checker? 5? None? Should they google the persons name and plagiarism to see if there's any accusations out there? In your opinion What should I reasonably expect in regards to how ign vets who and what it publishes?

IGN has been around for how long? And they've had how many plagiarism problems?

It doesn't make sense to expend that kind of money and manpower trying to stop something that almost never happens. 99.99% of the people applying to write for IGN want to write their own work.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

easter

Nov 15, 2017
sometimes, i read an amazing forum post someone makes here or there and think wow this would stand alone as a great joke or response for a related reddit thread etc but could never muster the scumminess necessary to take something i didn't think of and milking it (even if just for reddit lawls).

this guy has made an entire career around copying everything other people do and has zero shame about it. total scumbag for sure.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

I found someone who copied him lol

Filip:
The Wii U version notoriously dips into the 40s, but here everything moves at an almost steady 60 frames per second.

Gamemaster
The Wii U version notoriously dips into the 40s, but here everything moves at an almost steady 60 frames per second.

Rogue

Nov 7, 2017
Behind you
Is it feasible to just be writing articles on some blog you created or do you have to create videos and be apart of known websites like gamespot/ign?

Totally feasible. You want to build a resume and a catalog of work. Even if you don't get attention at your blog you created (and with today's internet there's no excuse to not market yourself even if it's just a twitter account or instagram), you have a body of work you can use to get that next step at a more established site as a contributor.

I don't work in gaming, but the path is similar to any field you want to cover.

I work in comics, and an example I can give you for the portfolio process is pitching to editorial about a C Lister like Hellcat or Cloak and Dagger. Everyone wants to do X-Men and Spider-Man - the big leagues. That's boring as an editor. It might even be all they're good for.

Pitch a Hellcat story that piques my interest, and you've got potential. If you can make a worthy Hellcat story, and the script delivers, you can get that chance in print, or just going off of your skill level and creative energy, you can get fast tracked to something bigger to start.

Build that writing skill and have the body of work that shows you aren't a one trick pony.

Three keys to success. Most people only ever have 2 in some combo.

Talent.
Persistence.
Luck.

Talent is great. Not everyone has the talent, innate or earned through effort.

We all look at singers, artists, writers, actors, and wonder how the hell they got where they are.

Persistence - kept showing up no matter how many rejections. Pays out eventually. Luck - right place, right time. Knew someone.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Check if Filip used to copy homeworks from his class mates at the primary school.

"The thing about plagiarism is: It never happens just once."

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Lol yes I do work at a place that involves copywriters and other creative positions. I wrote 6 stories myself last week—not a ton for a week but we're not pumping stuff out daily or anything close to that.

What does your employer do to find out if someone has a history of plagarism and does it meet your strict standards of what you expect a company to do to combat plagarism?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Guys, help me here:

I think Filip used an article from Polygon about Bayonetta 2, but as I'm very tired I do not know if I read it correctly

Polygon: Feb 2 https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/2/16...ta-2-switch-port-preview-release-date-trailer
With the Bayonetta series finally available on the Switch, more people will be able to relive two of the best hack-and-slash games of the last decade.

Filip: Feb 15 http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/14/bayonetta-2-for-nintendo-switch-review
Playing through Bayonetta 2 on Nintendo Switch allowed me to relive some of the most exhilarating, action-packed, hack-and-slash moments from the last decade of gaming.

Polygon
Bayonetta 2 will also feature upgraded amiibo support. Obviously the Bayonetta amiibo will work, but players can also unlock costumes based on other Nintendo characters with their corresponding amiibo.

Filip

Other new features for the Switch version of Bayonetta 2 come in the form of amiibo support. Which you'll now be able to use to unlock the same Nintendo themed costumes from the Wii U version. The main unlocks come down to Samus, Fox, Link, Peach, Daisy, and both Bayonetta Smash Bros.

----
Polygon article vs Filip talking about changes:

Polygon Feb 2, 2018, 8:30am EST
Bayonetta 1 and 2 are coming to the Nintendo Switch for the first time this month, bringing the two hack-and-slash classics together for the first time since the Wii U. The Switch versions don't feature the most significant changes over the originals — but that's not a bad thing.

Filip 5 Feb 2018 9:35 AM PST
Bayonetta is back and better than ever on Nintendo Switch. With both the original and sequel launching together later this month on the young hybrid console, the Switch versions of the games don't feature too many noticeable differences from the original — but trust me, that's a good thing.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this man needs a "Expert in Controller Mechanics" tag stat!

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Ok, so it's seeming more and more like this guy copied everything he ever did.
So, I'm now thinking IGN needs to reevaluate their HR department. I haven't seen a good argument as to why he was ever hired. His writing is terrible and he was terrible as host of NVC. His only strength seemed to be he had good production and editing on his channel. Way above I've seen on similarly sized YouTube channels but they never used any of that at IGN.

Deleted member 4208

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, help me here:

I think Filip used an article from Polygon about Bayonetta 2, but as I'm very tired I do not know if I read it correctly

Polygon: Feb 2 https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/2/16...ta-2-switch-port-preview-release-date-trailer
With the Bayonetta series finally available on the Switch, more people will be able to relive two of the best hack-and-slash games of the last decade.

Filip: Feb 15 http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/14/bayonetta-2-for-nintendo-switch-review
Playing through Bayonetta 2 on Nintendo Switch allowed me to relive some of the most exhilarating, action-packed, hack-and-slash moments from the last decade of gaming.

I'd say that's another instance of plagiarism right there.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, help me here:

There are definitely a couple of lines that seems to have originated from the Polygon review. But the most blatant one, comes in his closing paragraph (which is the one that sounded the most weird one when I posted about it):

Polygon
"more people will be able to relive two of the best hack-and-slash games of the last decade."

Filip
"allowed me to relive some of the most exhilarating, action-packed, hack-and-slash moments from the last decade of gaming"

Again, in the same chronological order. I think this one is lifted. Why would Filip specifically say "allow me to relive"? He never played the Wii U Bayo 2, and why use that specific phrasing?

And why say "the last decade"? Bayo 2 did not come out in the last decade.
I checked Wii U and Switch Bayo 2 reviews from 10 different sites (gamespot, usgamer, nintendolife, etc.), and none of them mentioned the words "relive" or "decade" anywhere on their reviews. I think this is another clear cut case of Filip taking someone else's phrases and modifying them as his.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Polygon: Bayonetta 1 and 2 on Switch are as great as they've always been
vs
Filip:What's New in Bayonetta 2 For Nintendo Switch?

Polygon Feb 2, 2018, 8:30am EST
Bayonetta 1 and 2 are coming to the Nintendo Switch for the first time this month, bringing the two hack-and-slash classics together for the first time since the Wii U. The Switch versions don't feature the most significant changes over the originals — but that's not a bad thing.

Filip 5 Feb 2018 9:35 AM PST
Bayonetta is back and better than ever on Nintendo Switch. With both the original and sequel launching together later this month on the young hybrid console, the Switch versions of the games don't feature too many noticeable differences from the original — but trust me, that's a good thing.

Burly found more:
Polygon:

Otherwise, the two games will remain largely identical to their older counterparts. But at a Los Angeles press event on Wednesday, I was treated to a bit of Bayonetta 2 on the Switch console, and was pleasantly surprised by how much it holds up and by how good it looks on a 60-inch TV. The increased frame rate allows for smoother gameplay, so you can dodge attacks with relative ease and finish off enemies with your chainsaw boots. I know a lot of people would've hoped for 1080p and 60fps, but even at 720p, it looks great.

Filip:
In regards to the amount of content included, both games seem to have remained virtually identical to their previous counterpart consoles. Despite the game's lower resolution, they both looked absolutely stunning on the 60-inch TV I played on, and the increased frame rate provided a much smoother play experience which made my time with the game much more enjoyable as a whole. A lot of us were expecting 1080p/60 fps for this one, but even while running at 720p, it still manages to look fantastic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.