• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I don't think he'll even do another apology video. He's just waiting for the heat to die down.

I honestly believe that Filip plagiarized his DOOM and Skyrim Switch port reviews just like his other reviews at this point.
Games with embargoes, as it seems, weren't plagiarized by him. Looking by dates some reviews had just some hours from each other, and when he plagiarized most times the article copied is from days. But I took some time to read the reviews from others reviewers, his reviews are almost always the most simple/less detailed compared to others sites.
edit: but there is something that we are not looking now: Videos. I'm searching possible plagiarism using google, but we don't know how many times he copied other channels

Frostburn

Oct 25, 2017
the only people on the searchable internet that have put those words together in that order are polygon, ign, and acnew.pw

RgHjK9n.png

to anyone else i'd maybe be willing to give the benefit of the doubt but...
Looks like that 3rd site is a mirror of the Polygon review as well...

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I honestly never heard of this guy, but reading what he did and seeing sample copies from other websites. Did the guy fail English 101?? Even a English 12 teacher will tell you not to copy word for word someone else's essay. You can get inspired from other reviews, but literally copying and pasting the exact run off sentences, punctuations, words, etc means your fuckin plagiarizing. Is IGN that lazy thst they hire whatever guy that makes Nintendo reviews online as a freelancer?? At a minimum, they should have an English major in a local community college at least.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
So this one is a bit of a grey area because they worked together, and maybe he got permission, but I think Filip might have ripped off another IGN staffer's review of Octopath Traveler in his Op-ed piece.

Seth Macy's review, July 12
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/12/octopath-traveler-review
Octopath Traveler is a JRPG dream come true. Both its battle system and aesthetic pay loving tribute to the Super NES era while moving the formula forward in exciting and novel ways. This isn't merely a modern retread of past classics, but a phenomenal homage with genuinely fresh ideas in a fantastically charming wrapper of old-school meets new. While the eight different character stories could've used a little more connection between them, I'm looking forward to going back to complete them all, explore the many side areas, battle optional bosses, and unlock the final job classes.

Philip's Op-ed, July 17
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07...-out-about-what-makes-their-game-so-appealing
While Octopath Travelers' aesthetics pay a loving tribute to the SNES era, its gameplay mechanics shouldn't be overlooked either. It's no retread of past classics either. Instead, it delivers a host of genuinely fresh ideas that come all bunched together in a fantastically charming mixture of old-school meets new. Players can use special character traits from each of the eight characters within the game to interact with the world in unique ways. For instance, Therion the Theif can steal from valuable items from NPC's all over the game world, while Primrose the dancer can allure townsfolk and later use them as a summon in battle.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
It's really easy to tell now. Just read one of his reviews (*edit Op-ed) and look for keywords that stand out.

IGN's Octopath traveler article, July 17 2018:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07...-out-about-what-makes-their-game-so-appealing

So I just googled "octopath traveler" and "storybook" and got the original.

Polygon's Octopath Traveler review, July 12 2018:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/12/17563366/octopath-traveler-review-nintendo-switch-jrpg
Suprised that he didn't get 8 different "impressions" from others for this review.

SpartacusMD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I search Google for "octopath extrudes" I get 4 different sites that plagiarized the review from whichever one wrote it first.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
So this one is a bit of a grey area because they worked together, and maybe he got permission, but I think Filip might have ripped off another IGN staffer's review of Octopath Traveler in his Op-ed piece.

Seth Macy's review, July 12
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/12/octopath-traveler-review

Philip's Op-ed, July 17
I don't think writers give each other permission to plagiarize each other. This is just another blatant example, and of his own colleague too.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
We found him out too soon. He was building up to his masterpiece where he commits self-plagiarism. Then I would get to use this meme

giphy.gif

Too bad. But I can't believe more are still coming into the light. Octopath Traveller too smh.

Edit: good move IGN.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why....

Why would you call out Kotaku to find more articles for plagiarism smh. Dude screwed himself 2x over.

Just why if you've literally plagiarized everything you've ever done?

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Why....

Why would you call out Kotaku to find more articles for plagiarism smh. Dude screwed himself 2x over.

Just why if you've literally plagiarized everything you've ever done?

Well he clearly doesn't know a damn thing about the most basic concepts of journalism, so maybe he just didn't realize actual research is even possible.

Oct 27, 2017
And people complained about this thread remaining active. Just silly. IGN is doing the right thing scrubbing their site of his content. None of it can be trusted.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They discussed this a bit on last week's Beast Cast, and I think Dan put it best; there are so many people whos life dream it is to work full time in "video games", and it being such a small, select field, that half assing it by stealing other people's shit is fucking inexcusable.

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
And people complained about this thread still remaining active. Just silly. IGN is doing the right thing by scrubbing their whole site of his plentiful content. It can not be trusted.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Deleting everything is the right thing to do. I actually thought they would do that earlier. Will they do new reviews for every game? Filip even reviewed Labo.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lmfaooo holy shit these recent updates are incredible. What a fool he is. Are people saying they still don't see it?

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland

Just wow. Everything he has done is suspect, so removing everything he submitted on the site as if he never worked there. Will any NVC episodes be nixed as well?

The team over at IGN must be having a hell of a time trying to clean up this shit show. Best of luck to them.

I wonder if all the content will be re-written with a new editor?

Oct 27, 2017
At first, you could've made a case for a little bit of carefulness on his part by lifting straight from an unknown Youtube channel but the dude was burying his bodies in his own workplace and equally well known outlets like Polygon. It's hilarious how misguided and brazen the examples from the last couple of pages have been. Like, he really didn't think for a moment that there'd be overlap between people reading Polygon's written content and IGN's written content?

My only theory is that he presumed far too much that the people who visit these sites don't actually read the words in reviews and, written content in general, and that he can pass his plagiarism off without detection. Oh my.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
All this time I was pulling for a guy who I thought was nervous hosting NVC, because he had big shoes to fill. Instead, he sounded nervous because he never had any unique ideas. I actually noticed during NVC that he would parrot back whatever his co-panelists said when describing a game.

In fact, the only original opinion he seemed to have was when he started the Skip of the Week segment. This part of NVC always bothered me, because Filip would be gung-ho about punching down on a shitty game that he despised playing. Instead of allocating that time for question block (which they never got to) or discussing a game he liked more, he would spend 5-10 minutes telling the audience to "definitely, definitely skip this one."
Great take. I feel the same way.

Last edited:

CoL

Oct 25, 2017
So where are all those guys from a couple of days ago saying they "didn't see the plagiarism" "Could be but there's no way to know" and to "leave the guy alone he lost his job"

Do they see it yet??

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
All this time I was pulling for a guy who I thought was nervous hosting NVC, because he had big shoes to fill. Instead, he sounded nervous because he never had any unique ideas. I actually noticed during NVC that he would parrot back whatever his co-panelists said when describing a game.

In fact, the only original opinion he seemed to have was when he started the Skip of the Week segment. This part of NVC always bothered me, because Filip would be gung-ho about punching down on a shitty game that he despised playing. Instead of allocating that time for question block (which they never got to) or discussing a game he liked more, he would spend 5-10 minutes telling the audience to "definitely, definitely skip this one."

What if all this time he never really liked videogames that much?
The reviews he did not copy, if you compare to others sites, have way less insight about the games, info about the production and other stuff

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The right thing to do would be for Filip to come clean at the very least to IGN so they can start cleaning up his mess. But I doubt he has the integrity to do that, so they should probably just nuke everything he ever produced/wrote for the site just to be safe and give him the Benoit treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.