• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
What OS are you on? The top bar looks really bad on Windows 7, and apparently that's just how it is. On Windows 10 the entire top bar should change color based on theme. I don't know about other platforms.

I'm on Windows 8.1. And yes, the top bar looks like Windows' window color. I guess it's the same behavior as Windows 7. Oh well, I'll learn to live with it or install a custom theme (they work fine).

Dufus

Nov 15, 2017
I like these settings. The first is the main scrolling speed variable.
Code:
mousewheel.default.delta_multiplier_y = 200
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS = 40
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS = 130

This was the most important setting to change for me. The default setting is smooth but ultimately it's way too slow. Although the above values are a bit too snappy for my taste. Default is 200 min, 400 max. I changed that to 100 min, 200 max. Scrolling is then similar to Chrome and Opera.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quite a bit faster in browser speed tests. Safari be superior at conserving battery though, if you care about that. I recall Apple focused on power consumption.

Don't sleep on Safari's performance, it's been significantly outperforming Chrome for a while now on Mac, while being more efficient. I'm highly skeptical of Firefox Quantum being faster.

Silver9

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I am back to Firefox again. Adios Chrome.

So far so good, it's faster than Chrome. There are some extensions i never tried such as noscript and downthemall. I wanna check them out.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't sleep on Safari's performance, it's been significantly outperforming Chrome for a while now on Mac, while being more efficient. I'm highly skeptical of Firefox Quantum being faster.
I don't like the UI so don't use Safari myself, but I assumed that Webkit would be lagging behind Blink engine since the fork occurred. Will take another look.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
Is there any addon that lets me chose the position of new tabs and – more importantly – lets me chose which tab gets to be activated after I close one. I cannot live with the default behaviour, it drives me crazy.

So far I have not found anything. The addon I used on the old Firefox is not supported anymore and the extension I use on Chrome (Tab Position Customizer 2) is not available in the Mozilla addon repository – a lot of other original Chrome extenions are, that one unfortunately is not.

Is there anything at all?

Last edited:

ksdixon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FF 57+ Interface Woes
  • the new hamburger menu is cluttered with rubbish. only things i use there are the options and customize toolbar buttons. i can't seem to find a way to take most of the things that are in that menu out of it.

• the 'overflow' menu hides most of my addon's preferences buttons etc. and it also hides buttons i want on my toolbar, but the urlbar is too long and pushes them onto the overflow menu.

• is there a way to edit the length of the urlbar? or failing that, is there a way to get rid of the overflow menu, and customize what appears in the hamburger menu, essentially reverting it back to australis' version of the hamburger menu?

• the non-active tabs being faded-off at the sides is infuriating for me. it makes the page titles hard to read, and introduces an extra click if i want to close them. i miss tab mix plus. is there any tricks i can do to make the non-active tabs display the close tab button on them, have more length so i can read more of the text on them, and not be faded-off?

• Classic Theme Restorer used to be the only way to restore the old style searchbox addon (set seach engine, type keyword and then press enter or searchglass icon to begin the search). Is there any way to get this back in 57+?

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
All of my addons work so I've switched back, been on Chrome for ages but this is much better so far. Mobile version doesn't seem as good as Chrome for me though, can't get the Lastpass addon to work.

ksdixon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
on a somewhat unrelated note, here's some addons i've recently been able to dump/replace with other addons or userchrome.css:

Ant Video Downloader - video downloder

57+ replaced with Private Video Downloader.

Context Search - right click selected text, have a menu for searching on your installed search engines

57+ replace with Swift Selection Search: https://github.com/CanisLupus/swift-selection-search

Paste & Search (Forms) - paste & search in searchbox

now built into FF.

Redirector / UAControl -
per-site user agent switcher for when i want to force mobile sites on my desktop when i directly visit a site; or auto-redirecting external site links to those websites to the mobile versions.

about:config tweak
general.useragent.orverride.<url address> - string - android

Scroll To Top/Bottom - toolbar buttons to quickly scroll to top/bottom.

57+ replace with ScrollToTop (I barely used the bottom scroll button)

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really liking Firefox 57 so far, it does seem to render faster than the old version. All of the main extensions I use were updated aside from no script but I've read that will be updated soon so I should be good.

ksdixon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the non-active tabs being faded-off at the sides is infuriating for me. it makes the page titles hard to read, and introduces an extra click if i want to close them. i miss tab mix plus. is there any tricks i can do to make the non-active tabs display the close tab button on them, have more length so i can read more of the text on them, and not be faded-off?

re-enabling the title bar in the customize toolbar menu does this.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I have Ghostery installed, do I also need uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger?

edit: how to I access Ghostery's settings again? They opened automatically when I first installed it, but now that I've closed the window, I don't know how to get back there. I'm not seeing any 'settings' button anywhere.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I'm missing tabmix plus a lot now. Why isn't that kind of functionality built into the browser? Customizable tab handling has seemed like a no brainer of an idea from the moment tabbed browsing became a thing, yet it never seems to be built in.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm missing tabmix plus a lot now. Why isn't that kind of functionality built into the browser? Customizable tab handling has seemed like a no brainer of an idea from the moment tabbed browsing became a thing, yet it never seems to be built in

Yeah, No tab mix plus is kind of a deal-breaker for me, despite it being faster.
I hope something pops up. Seems to be one of the biggest losses for a lot of people. I don't know how browsers don't have some of those functions built-in.

Is there an add-on that puts a button on the right of the tab to close the right-most tab? I keep going for it, but there's nothing there.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
If I have Ghostery installed, do I also need uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger?

edit: how to I access Ghostery's settings again? They opened automatically when I first installed it, but now that I've closed the window, I don't know how to get back there. I'm not seeing any 'settings' button anywhere.

Ghostery blocks tracking scripts. uBlock origin filters advertisments plus some tracking stuff. I'd recommend to use both. They sometimes block the same but don't collide in my experience.
Ghostery settings can be brought up by clicking the icon and then the three point burger menu top right.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
has anyone found a replacement for DownThemAll yet? i'll still go back to downthemall once the guy releases a new version, but who knows when that is

IIRC it's dead. The creator was fed up before the stuff with FF57, and the change to web extensions was the last straw and he's not going to try to work around the limitations and request special APIs.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
WTF at FF57 Android changing the status bar color. It looks horrible glowing white. Please tell me there's a way to make it the default color.
Lv34TPf.png

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of not being able to hide the tab bar when there are no tabs open, I'm liking it so far. I really hope someone makes a new add on for that soon though.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
The latest dev edition seems to have broken NoScript for me.

has anyone found a replacement for DownThemAll yet? i'll still go back to downthemall once the guy releases a new version, but who knows when that is

IIRC it's dead. The creator was fed up before the stuff with FF57, and the change to web extensions was the last straw and he's not going to try to work around the limitations and request special APIs.

https://www.downthemall.net/delays/

Therefore, looking at my calendar, DTA Lite will take another month at least. I hope I'll get to a point where I can release a beta version for early adopters/testers in 2-3 weeks and then 1-2 weeks after that a stable full release.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ghostery blocks tracking scripts. uBlock origin filters advertisments plus some tracking stuff. I'd recommend to use both. They sometimes block the same but don't collide in my experience.
Ghostery settings can be brought up by clicking the icon and then the three point burger menu top right.
Thanks. Though there isn't a three point burger menu at the top right. How come?

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Really nice update performance wise but some of my add ons dont work so I'm kind of annoyed.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
How do the get the restyled list back?
While it might no be quite what you want, something I heavily use is search by key words. I assign a letter to each search engine (g -> google, a -> amazon, s -> Steam) and if I want to search using Amazon I just write "a Whatever" and it searches for "Whatever" on Amazon. It's also faster since you don't need to use the mouse at all.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
While it might no be quite what you want, something I heavily use is search by key words. I assign a letter to each search engine (g -> google, a -> amazon, s -> Steam) and if I want to search using Amazon I just write "a Whatever" and it searches for "Whatever" on Amazon. It's also faster since you don't need to use the mouse at all.
I would prefer the old style but this would be a solution, too.
How do I do this?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disable findbar animation:
Code:
findbar {
  transition: none !important;
}

Italicize unread tabs:
Code:
.tabbrowser-tab[unread]:not([selected="true"]) {
  font-style: italic!important;
}

Remove "Send to Device" from context menu:
Code:
/*
 * Remove "Send Page to Device", "Send Link to Device",
 * "Send Tab to Device" from context menu.
 * Contributor(s): PilzAdam
 */

#context-sendpagetodevice, #context-sep-sendpagetodevice,
#context-sendlinktodevice, #context-sep-sendlinktodevice,
#context_sendTabToDevice, #context_sendTabToDevice_separator {
  display: none !important;
}

Remove the 3-dot button on the right of the urlbar:
Code:
/*
 * Removes the "PageAction Button", the 3-dot button near the right of the
 * urlbar which gives you options such as: "Bookmark this page", "Save page to
 * pocket", etc.
 * Contributor(s): DrPugsley, Madis0
 */

#pageActionButton {
  display: none !important;
}

Move tabs below titlebar:
Code:
/* This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
 * License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
 * file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. */

/*
 * This style will move your tabs to the bottom. Best used with the titlebar enabled.
 * Contributor(s): Isaac-Newt
 */

/* Tabs On Bottom */
#TabsToolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2;
}

#nav-bar{
  border-top-width: 0px !important;
}

/* Bookmarks Bar fix */
#PersonalToolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2;
}

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using Dev Edition for more than a year now.

Those w/ NoScript, install the addon from their website. I had the same problem when testing out 57, but that should fix it. If not, idk.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a Youtube add-on recommendation? One that is simple - Auto expand and HD? And that doesn't require access to "all sites"

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Dev Edition for more than a year now.

Those w/ NoScript, install the addon from their website. I had the same problem when testing out 57, but that should fix it. If not, idk.

It's been fine for me up until now but on 58.0b4 it breaks both itself and the browser.

enemy2k

Oct 29, 2017
Just turned on my PC and updated the browser. Gonna use it for a bit tonight and see how it feels.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
uMatrix is a pretty good NoScript replacement. There's a learning curve, but functionality is impressive.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/

EDIT: should mention that it loads scripts from every inital page you open, if you want no script on first load go to settings, my rules, edit, add "* * script block" and commit

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
uMatrix is a pretty good NoScript replacement. There's a learning curve, but functionality is impressive.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/

EDIT: should mention that it loads scripts from every inital page you open, if you want no script on first load go to settings, my rules, edit, add "* * script block" and commit
I think by default it allows all first party content since a) it's unlikely any nasty scripts are going to be first party (but not impossible) and b) that will allow many sites to function at least at a basic level without any additional configuration. You could just remove the "* 1st-party * allow" line to treat first party content the same as everything else.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally switching back from edge. seems a lot faster and so glad the memory leaks have been fixed. edge has been using an insane amount of memory recently.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
So coming from Chrome, to me this feels like a huge huge improved it is very snappy and most likely damn fast.

I do want to know what is up with the memory it should be lower right but seeing posts here it is higher than chrome? But so far i really like it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the UI elements can be customized by editing your "userChrome.css" file (located at C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\PROFILENAME\).

For example:

The non-active tabs being faded-off at the sides is infuriating for me. it makes the page titles hard to read,

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/blob/master/classic/css/tabs/tab_titles_remove_blur.css

and introduces an extra click if i want to close them. i miss tab mix plus. is there any tricks i can do to make the non-active tabs display the close tab button on them,

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/blob/master/classic/css/tabs/tab_close_always_visible.css

have more length so i can read more of the text on them,

Go to about:config and edit browser.tabs.tabMinWidth

Classic Theme Restorer used to be the only way to restore the old style searchbox addon (set seach engine, type keyword and then press enter or searchglass icon to begin the search). Is there any way to get this back in 57+?

Look here but I'm not sure because I don't use the searchbox:
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/tree/master/classic/css/generalui