• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
UI feels like a huge downgrade.

Can I import my .session files from FF Session Manager to Chrome? I dont want to lose them.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any addon that lets me chose the position of new tabs and – more importantly – lets me chose which tab gets to be activated after I close one. I cannot live with the default behaviour, it drives me crazy.

So far I have not found anything. The addon I used on the old Firefox is not supported anymore and the extension I use on Chrome (Tab Position Customizer 2) is not available in the Mozilla addon repository – a lot of other original Chrome extenions are, that one unfortunately is not.

Is there anything at all?

Go to about:config and set browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent to true.

Because I'm a huge UI and productivity nerd, I used Mouse Controller, Mouse Gestures and Beyond Australis. I also had a Stylish script with made the scrollbars semi transparent and slim, with auto-hide when it isn't used.
There being no Stylish scripts for scrollbars is a serious hamper to my browsing experience, and probably the most impactful one, alongside the lack of Beyond Australis.

Does anyone here have sensible replacements for this? I looked a bit on google and stuff, but it didn't seem like there'd be viable replacements. Beyond Australis' developer already said that a port to Web Extensions API is next to impossible...

Heavy UI customization per add-on and mouse gesture support seems to be gone. I could see them bringing mouse gesture's back via updates to WebExtensions (essentially allowing Firefox to feed mouse input to certain functions), but I think the UI stuff is never going to be as malleable again, unless Firefox devs put in some serious work to make it work with their new multi-process, sandboxed backend.

UI feels like a huge downgrade.
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/issues/1
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx

Last edited:

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I installed it the day before yesterday and gave it a go as my main browser for two days. But I have to admit, I'm switching back to Chrome.
Firefox might be a bit faster but honestly I can't really see any noticeable difference.
Also there are a few things that are bothering me and making my browsing experience worse.

1st - using stylish on some pages, the style doesn't load. I have to click refresh for it to display.

2nd - I have one page pinned, but sometimes when I click a link it opens to a new page. Other times it doesn't. Annoying. I have to constantly re-pin and close my tabs to get it pinned on the page I want.

3 - I'm having trouble getting Internet download manager to integrate correctly. It sometimes works but mostly not. Important for me.

4 - I have pages often give me 'cannot connect' errors. This happened to me a lot last night when browsing Amazon and opening links in new tabs. Very annoying.

5 - Google translate and translate page is horrible. I click translate page and it opens a new tab and tries to translate the text. It doesn't translate the text within the original page. Horrible, as I use the feature a lot on chrome.

Thats when I finally said, "OK, I gave it a try but I'm done."

All those little conveniences on Chrome are just not to here, aren't working as well or at all on Firefox. The supposed speed increase isn't noticeable in my browsing experience, or not to any overwhelming degree so as to make me give up the ease of use and convenience that Chrome provides.

Maybe again in the future perhaps.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Chrome has become a much better browser in the past couple of years but I'll give it a go.

nate

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to highlight current tab in Ubuntu? I don't even know what tab I'm on

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
ody weirdly enough the first time I loaded the page it was fine, but consequent refreshes showed the same problem. Refreshing at different window sizes results in the same thing.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah okay
After about 10 refreshes while changing window sizes it happened once at maximized. Weird one.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to put the tabs below the menu? I hate it on top.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got it.

Last edited:

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the white navigation bar. Is there any way to make it look like old fire fox?

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was it before? There are themes....

Customise Firefox > Themes are at the bottom
default, light and dark and then you can download others.

I want the bar to not be solid. This is my old firefox look:
WQR0xBF.png

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Firefox finally feels smooth and responsive with this new version. I've simply never seen it be a smooth as Chrome before this, so that's good news.

Unfortunately every 60fps video (and I do mean every single one) I watch has a strange stutter that I don't see in Chrome. With the video stuff and the subpar Android app I'm not going to be switching from Chrome any time soon.

It certainly looks and feels good though! I love that standard dark theme.

Rumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
All of my addons work so I've switched back, been on Chrome for ages but this is much better so far. Mobile version doesn't seem as good as Chrome for me though, can't get the Lastpass addon to work.
Are you me? This has been exactly my experience so far. If uBlock works as well as it does on the desktop, I'll probably unroot my phone since Adaway is the only reason I have it rooted.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Firefox finally feels smooth and responsive with this new version. I've simply never seen it be a smooth as Chrome before this, so that's good news.

Unfortunately every 60fps video (and I do mean every single one) I watch has a strange stutter that I don't see in Chrome. With the video stuff and the subpar Android app I'm not going to be switching from Chrome any time soon.

It certainly looks and feels good though! I love that standard dark theme.
The Android app isn't quite up to speed, it has the updated UI but not the speed enchancements

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09/26/project-quantum-enhancements-wont-arrive-firefox-57-android/

That will come with version 59

edit - I haven't seen the stutter in 60fps videos.

Christos

Oct 27, 2017
Limassol
Oh my this browser feels amazing. Thinking about switching from Chrome now, not really sure about my iPhone though since Safari still feels like the best choice.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my this browser feels amazing. Thinking about switching from Chrome now, not really sure about my iPhone though since Safari still feels like the best choice.

Is there any reason to switch mobile versions to Firefox? iCloud for Windows and iCloud Bookmark extension for Firefox sync all bookmarks, and Safari always struck me as the best iOS browser.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to put the tabs below the menu? I hate it on top.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got it.

In case people are looking for the answer:
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCS...ic/css/tabs/tabs_below_navigation_toolbar.css

I want the bar to not be solid. This is my old firefox look:
WQR0xBF.png

It's definitely possible. The author of the old Classic Theme Restorer got it done; maybe you could ask him how:
30641051-e85b3b62-9e0k5j4s.png

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Are you me? This has been exactly my experience so far. If uBlock works as well as it does on the desktop, I'll probably unroot my phone since Adaway is the only reason I have it rooted.

Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger are working a treat for me on mobile, it's great. Just struggling to log in to Lastpass for some reason but I'm sure they'll figure it out.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
In case people are looking for the answer:
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCS...ic/css/tabs/tabs_below_navigation_toolbar.css

It's definitely possible. The author of the old Classic Theme Restorer got it done; maybe you could ask him how:
30641051-e85b3b62-9e0k5j4s.png

Wow. Is there anything stopping Classic Theme Restorer from being released as a standalone application instead of an official addon? That'd be awesome.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
So it's nice to hear that classic theme restorer can at least have a work around, but does anyone have replacements for
  1. Tab mix plus
  2. mouse gestures
  3. googlebar light
  4. menu editor (being able to move around and add/remove stuff to right click)
  5. BBcodeXtra
  6. image properties
At this point, I'm starting to think it might actually be less work to just use chrome

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've used chrome exclusively since it came out and I gave this a whirl just now. It's so blindingly fast that I'm switching permanently I think.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm using both Quantum and Waterfox right now. That last release before Quantum was absolute garbage. Obscene memory usage.

I got Waterfox looking close to what my old version of Firefox was looking like. Unfortunately, it seems that Simple Popup Blocker doesn't work on it. The was like the closest thing to a perfect Popup Blocker I've ever used. Anyone know of an alternative for either Quantum or Waterfox?

I dig Quantum but I hate the reliance on visual logos/buttons. It's really slowing me down since I'm not used to them. How come there's no text under the buttons in the menu bar? Also the right click menu sucks. I would use Classic Theme Restorer to remove the back, forward, refresh buttons and replace them with text.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Is there anything stopping Classic Theme Restorer from being released as a standalone application instead of an official addon? That'd be awesome.

Yeah I hope the author intends to make one. What the addon did most of the time was simply putting some CSS code in userChrome.css, so a standalone app should be able to do the same.

I dig Quantum but I hate the reliance on visual logos/buttons. It's really slowing me down since I'm not used to them. How come there's no text under the buttons in the menu bar?

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCS.../css/toolbars/toolbar_mode_icons_and_text.css
or
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/blob/master/classic/css/toolbars/toolbar_mode_text.css

Also the right click menu sucks. I would use Classic Theme Restorer to remove the back, forward, refresh buttons and replace them with text.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3035305&p=14776540

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Coming off Chrome, spending two days with this browser to me at least a big improved on speed..chrome still has major issues with twitter that's at least i'm experiencing. Also going to websites it is damn fast, if what people say here to iron out the kinks but overall i'm very impressed by it.

Nov 1, 2017
Does feel a lot faster on speed yeah. Had to take care of an issue with bookmarks get imported by 4000 plus times somehow but now that's done with after a bit of messing around it's like going back home. I do miss my bookmarks showing up on the screen like Chrome had it so all had to do was click on them.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got upgraded to it I think. Definitely feels a lot faster but half my addons are broke :(

camu

Oct 29, 2017
After many many years of using Firefox I recently switched to Chrome because my FF was taking up so much ram and ran really slow.
I'll have a look at all the current available extensions for the new FF to see if it fits my needs, otherwise I might wait a little before switching back again.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Is there a non-legacy theme that shrinks the spacing between websites in the bookmarks folder?

The double spacing Firefox uses by default has been the bane of this program for as long as I've used it, and now LittleFox is not longer supported.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does Firefox compare to Chrome on mobile, particularly for many tabs open (>40)?

I've been lukewarm on Chrome for a while, and I'm interested in switching over.