• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I think NoScript and FlashGot are from the same developer, right? NoScript is actively being worked on and and FlashGot will have development start on it right after
I can wait a bit. The browser really is a lot faster now. The developer of Downthemall is also working on an update as well which will be ready a bit later sadly but at least it's coming.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Classic Theme Restorer doesn't work and they are unable to move it over to 57.

I like to have my open tabs below the bookmarks toolbar and I don't know how to do that now :(

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I can confirm that it feels considerably snappier on old hardware as well. My parents' PC is at least 10 years old and has never been upgraded. As an example, loading and navigating large documents on Google Drive used to be a slog, but I've noticed significant improvements with 57.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017

I like to have my open tabs below the bookmarks toolbar and I don't know how to do that now :(
Same going to have to get used to it. They also moved refresh back to the left side with Back/Forward. Although at least we can customize that

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will give this a try again after leaving Firefox when they started to give every new release a new number lol

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just missing Wikiwand, I'm really suprised about how much I love this new version (I left the Firefox side many years ago)

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I can wait a bit. The browser really is a lot faster now. The developer of Downthemall is also working on an update as well which will be ready a bit later sadly but at least it's coming.

It does feel a lot faster. I'm pretty happy with it. I only have a few things that got deactivated and I can either use a user script to add it in or the developer will be updating the add-ons so its overall working out for me. Really pleased that updates are coming from a lot of developers

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Looking forward to trying this out. I hope Self-Destructing Cookies still works. And I'm thinking about switching out Ad Block Plus for uBlock.

Anyone have any thoughts on ABP vs. uBlock Origin? Should I switch or just stay with ABP?

edit: Looks like Self-Destructing Cookies won't be ported to WebExtenstions. Boo. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but fonts look different... and not in a positive way. They seem to be smaller, or more appropriate, finer.

Anyone have any thoughts on ABP vs. uBlock Origin? Should I switch or just stay with ABP?
Use uBlock it eats way less of your resources.

/edit

Not sure why but Firefox uses 205MB RAM, while Chrome needs only 110. That is with only this thread open in both browser, uBlock on both but several other extension on Chrome. Didn't they promise less RAM usage?

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017

ABP has an "acceptable" ads feature that's on by default last time I checked which defeats the purpose of the add on as far as I'm concerned.

If that's changed then uBlock is probably still a better choice simply because it's more flexible and efficient than ABP is

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, apparently you do not even need a Adblocker since you can block ads by default with the tracking protection which you can enable in the settings under privacy etc.

/edit

That is not entirely true, unfortunately. I still get ads on YouTube. It probably has something to do with the provider of the ads, maybe if they use further tracking within their ads. I don't know.

Last edited:

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
Not sure why but Firefox uses 205MB RAM, while Chrome needs only 110. That is with only this thread open in both browser, uBlock on both but several other extension on Chrome. Didn't they promise less RAM usage?
I'm seeing a similar thing here. RAM usage on Chrome is 75MB and in Firefox it's 133MB.

Made the switch to uBlock Origin once ABP made the acceptable ad feature a thing.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Shit i updated without checking my plugins and now Tab-Groups is not supported and there's nothing similar available, gonna have to revert back.

Gorgamel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to change the location of the tabs to below the Address bar and Bookmarks bar? Or if there is a new addon for that.

Line X

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to trying this out. I hope Self-Destructing Cookies still works. And I'm thinking about switching out Ad Block Plus for uBlock.

edit: Looks like Self-Destructing Cookies won't be ported to WebExtenstions. Boo. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Go to uBlock Origin and never use ABP again.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I edited my original post, but enabling tracking protection only removes certain ads but not all. However, it also disables Pop ups, at least there is an option for that too.

I'm on the beta, and for the life of me I can't seem to find a good blocker for pop-up ads.

I also want to get rid of that damn X on the address bar and replace it with the refresh button like before.

Nov 1, 2017
Classic Theme Restorer doesn't work any more, but the developer has put together some CSS that'll let you do a lot (but not all) of the customization CTR used to. Download the ZIP file from here, follow the instructions here, and you're more or less in business. You'll have to edit userChrome.css to change things around, so it's a little fiddly, but it's worth it. I've got my tabs back where they belong and the URL bar is behaving as it should. Check it out.

Eclipse47

Oct 26, 2017
Wow Reset Era loads so quickly for me. I'm back in the game on firefox now. I was one of the old regular firefox users before Chome showed up lol

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Firefox 57 is really nice. The stock customization features are even better this time.
Currently running three 720p60 Twitch VODs with Twitch chat, no framedrops.

edit: Era's GIF threads load pretty darn well.

Mystic Vivi

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a list of supported ad ons? Firefox is my favorite browser for many many years. This looks a great!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which X to you mean? Left of the adress bar is a refresh button. The only Xs I can see are the ones to close tabs and the window.

Right on the address bar where the refresh button used to be is a big X to close the tab instead.

It constantly throws me off.

Supervizzle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My add-ons still all work, the only one I miss that was broken a few updates ago was Lazarus Form Recovery. Very happy with Quantum so far, and hey, the base and dark themes fit well to ResetEra.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know how I can replace Flashblock and Session Manager : (

Although Flashblock is old, so I'm assuming there's something similar that replicates the functionality (it basically blocks Flash elements until you individually enable them on a page).

Eclipse47

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know the time frame for the Android version of Firefox? I can't seem to find any apk as of yet

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know the time frame for the Android version of Firefox? I can't seem to find any apk as of yet

Keep in mind the Android version is only getting the UI refresh. They haven't fully implemented the new engine on mobile yet. It'll be faster, but it's not getting all of the desktop shit.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am a fan so far, but I can't customize my new tabs with a Speed Dial like I might get on Opera or Vivaldi, so it looks like I'll be sticking with Vivaldi. The Speed Dial add-ons I've tried just seem a bit janky.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Dis browser is FAAAAAST! All this years of been a loyal Firefox user despite having lot's of better and faster browsers out there, have finally paid off :') Loving the performance so far! It runs fantastic on my old 4gb ram 2 core PC from work. If it runs fast here I cannot imagine how it must run on a powerful PC, damn! Great job, Mozilla!

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Oh my, this new Firefox is pretty nippy isn't it?

Might return to making this my default after a few years of Chrome.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I was not prepared for this speed. It's a remarkable upgrade. Once all of the add-ons are brought over it'll be perfect.

Props to the Firefox devs and all the Add-on developers for making this work. It's wonderful.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Just updated to it and yep its quick. I'm hoping the mobile version is good, never liked using it on android previously and stuck to chrome.

Xiyng

Oct 31, 2017
Nice. So far so good, feeling a bit snappier than before. So far I'm also impressed at how few bugs I've encountered. One bug I noticed is that if you remove extra icons (e.g. Pocket) from the navigation bar, you can't get them back without resetting the whole UI. I imagine that's a design oversight that's getting fixed some time, but it's still a slight problem.

Does anyone know how to change the location of the tabs to below the Address bar and Bookmarks bar? Or if there is a new addon for that.
See this:
Classic Theme Restorer doesn't work any more, but the developer has put together some CSS that'll let you do a lot (but not all) of the customization CTR used to. Download the ZIP file from here, follow the instructions here, and you're more or less in business. You'll have to edit userChrome.css to change things around, so it's a little fiddly, but it's worth it. I've got my tabs back where they belong and the URL bar is behaving as it should. Check it out.
Basically the UI is still fully customizable, but it has to be done via userChrome.css, which is not exactly user-friendly. That said, to move tabs back to bottom, you only need a few lines there. By default, the colours look a bit messed up then because they weren't designed for that, but fixing them is only a few more lines. Of course if you don't know what you're doing (it's basically the same as developing a website), you need a premade userChrome.css, like this one here.

Well, apparently you do not even need a Adblocker since you can block ads by default with the tracking protection which you can enable in the settings under privacy etc.

/edit

That is not entirely true, unfortunately. I still get ads on YouTube. It probably has something to do with the provider of the ads, maybe if they use further tracking within their ads. I don't know.
It's called Tracking Protection for a reason. As far as I know, it uses lists like typical adblockers, but it only uses lists that block tracking parties. It doesn't particularly care about ads, only tracking elements - and many ads happen to track you, so it blocks them. I've heard that the lists Tracking Protection uses are included in uBlock Origin by default, so if you're using uBlock Origin, you don't really need tracking protection since uBO blocks the same things and more.

It's already there, at both Google Play and APKMirror. Apparently Google Play isn't distributing it yet (at least to everyone), but you can download it from APKMirror if you'd like. That said, someone said it doesn't have all the improvements just yet, so waiting for it shouldn't be a big deal.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
Bold move breaking compatibility with all legacy extensions, but it appears to be worth it for the rewrite. At least at first glance it's reading heavy pages very fast, and the default interface is decent - though I'm still going to "need" to adjust somethings like the position of the tab bar.

Now that I have installed a replacement for the mouse gestures extension, time to test this a little more, but so far... very nice.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really enjoying the new version. There are only a few basic extensions I'm missing from Chrome and the speed + layout is making up for those.

edit: Is there any way to hide the bookmarks toolbar except on new tab?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Sound great. I want to try this new version, but I rely on my add-ons. Broken add-ons are a deal breaker for me.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the performance too, but the huge RAM usage in comparison to Chrome is still a major downside.