• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The World
I like it...but I guess I am one of the few for which the RAM/CPU usage is still higher than Chrome.

CpAPQSb.png

Chrome has 4 tabs open, FF had 2.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
sLSm9ST

sLSm9ST.png

So which option am I missing? With the option I have enabled, Firefox works exactly the way I say it does. If some other external application opens a link in Firefox while Firefox is closed, Firefox will open a new window with that one tab, and it will overwrite my previously saved tabs. The only way I was able to stop that behavior was with the Session Manager extension.
Then you have
Just try googling a fix it. It's not a bug in firefox, it's absolutely something wrong on your end.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Then you have
Just try googling a fix it. It's not a bug in firefox, it's absolutely something wrong on your end.
I dunno why you're being such a fanboy in this thread, but there is no way for you to know that it's absolutely not a bug in Firefox (by the way, a corrupt preferences file would, in fact, be a bug). Either way, I want Session Manager to be updated for Quantum.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Hey, is there any way to open a session with tabs to NOT have all the tabs load up at once? Part of the reason I liked the old Session Manager is that even you loaded up the session, the individual tab will not load up unless you click on it. Now with this Firefox 57 replacement Tab Session Manager, every tab loads up and it's kind of lame that there is no other option in that add-on's setting to have the user click individual tab to load.

Any alternatives to this? Tab Session Manager is lacking options.
That's just multiprocess. Firefox does not do that by default. Check your multiprocess settings, as well as this config option
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/allow-firefox-load-multiple-tabs-background

about:config > browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand > True

I dunno why you're being such a fanboy in this thread, but there is no way for you to know that it's absolutely not a bug in Firefox (by the way, a corrupt preferences file would, in fact, be a bug). Either way, I want Session Manager to be updated for Quantum.
Because I don't tolerate misinformation, especially in this day and age where it runs rampant through social media. A fresh install does not behave this way, and for anyone to come and lambast it with baseless claims that firefox is crap and buggy because it behaves like xyz and mislead others is utter nonsense when it absolutely does not do that out of the box. Equally so when people don't put in the effort to do a quick search for the problem they are having to find a solution that takes no more than 5 minutes to fix.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm a huge UI and productivity nerd, I used Mouse Controller, Mouse Gestures and Beyond Australis. I also had a Stylish script with made the scrollbars semi transparent and slim, with auto-hide when it isn't used.
There being no Stylish scripts for scrollbars is a serious hamper to my browsing experience, and probably the most impactful one, alongside the lack of Beyond Australis.

Does anyone here have sensible replacements for this? I looked a bit on google and stuff, but it didn't seem like there'd be viable replacements. Beyond Australis' developer already said that a port to Web Extensions API is next to impossible...
Heavy UI customization per add-on and mouse gesture support seems to be gone. I could see them bringing mouse gesture's back via updates to WebExtensions (essentially allowing Firefox to feed mouse input to certain functions), but I think the UI stuff is never going to be as malleable again, unless Firefox devs put in some serious work to make it work with their new multi-process, sandboxed backend.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Should be noted that in light of recent NoScript mentions that there is a place for it still for users seeking to retain it when it comes back up again, even in light of most in the thread recommending soloing with either uBlock or uMatrix.

If Scripting is your biggest concern or only concern then you can likely do as the thread has so far instructed and simply move to either alternative.. However it is a little glossed over in that NoScript is a bit of a bundle of features that can still both co exist and enhance protection provided by uBlock and uMatrix.

In particular, you can globally allow scripts to eliminate conflicts between blockers while still maintaining some of NoScript's more stand out features such as anti-XSS, anti-ClickJacking and the ABE as an additional layer of safety if wished.

Yeah, keeping NoScript with the main script blocking functionality disabled is the best way to go. I suggested that early in the thread.

uBlock Origin and uMatrix serve different functions though, uBlock is basically a (superior) Adblock alternative and uMatrix is roughly a NoScript alternative, with a more flexible blocking system but lacking those additional protections.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had to install the old version of Firefox due to the following:

- Used the scroll mouse button to open a tab, but the website as a tab never loads unless you click on the URL and press enter.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, keeping NoScript with the main script blocking functionality disabled is the best way to go. I suggested that early in the thread.

uBlock Origin and uMatrix serve different functions though, uBlock is basically a (superior) Adblock alternative and uMatrix is roughly a NoScript alternative, with a more flexible blocking system but lacking those additional protections.

Aye, just wanted to help re-emphasize that NoScript doesn't need to be jettisoned necessarily because it isn't ready yet and that it still had some useful functions. Apologies for glossing over your earlier post, else I would have quoted it myself for additional emphasis.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish there was a way to get an ad-blocker on iOS Firefox. And no, that Firefox Focus app doesn't count since it doesn't have a login to sync information with the desktop version.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Went back to 56. I appreciate speed improvements but my stuff looked odd/didn't work and there are things more important to me than speed. If I cared about speed I would've moved to chrome years ago.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
This crap has noscript yet? i can't surf the web without it...
I am using Chrome with it's version of Noscript along with disconnect, ghostery, and Ublock, for now...

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am using Chrome with it's version of Noscript along with disconnect, ghostery, and Ublock, for now...
NoScript will be updated in the next few days. In the meantime, uMatrix is a good alternative for script/component blocking. I kinda prefer it now.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle

- Used the scroll mouse button to open a tab, but the website as a tab never loads unless you click on the URL and press enter.
Did you try setting "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2" to false? Did you try running in safe mode to see if an add-on/extension was causing the problem, like the Tab Control Extension, or Auto Unload Tab add-on, that are known to be a problem? Or even a legacy version of the MEGA add-on?

Last edited:

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

NoScript will be updated in the next few days. In the meantime, uMatrix is a good alternative for script/component blocking. I kinda prefer it now.

^^ This. For purely script blocking, uMatrix is a more flexible and powerful solution than NoScript that gives you more direct control over what gets blocked or allowed. As discussed above NoScript does have some additional layers of protection that make it worth having even with uMatrix, but you would want to make sure the blocking functionality is disabled so they don't have conflicts.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone have a suggestion for replacing "save file as"?

Basically as an absolute minimum I'd be after a way to save files to a specific location, but best would be having a quick list of frequently used folders.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Is there anyway to get FF57 layout closer to 56?

Like, the "Open new tab" + used to be right beside the last open tab but now it isn't and it's kind of driving me nuts. lol

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to the make the text bigger? Not on the web pages, but the browser itself. I had an add-on that did that but it doesn't seem to be working with the new Firefox.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
That's just multiprocess. Firefox does not do that by default. Check your multiprocess settings, as well as this config option
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/allow-firefox-load-multiple-tabs-background

about:config > browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand > True

Because I don't tolerate misinformation, especially in this day and age where it runs rampant through social media. A fresh install does not behave this way, and for anyone to come and lambast it with baseless claims that firefox is crap and buggy because it behaves like xyz and mislead others is utter nonsense when it absolutely does not do that out of the box. Equally so when people don't put in the effort to do a quick search for the problem they are having to find a solution that takes no more than 5 minutes to fix.

My suggestion for you would be to attend a remedial reading class, as well as visit dictionary.com more often.

Also anger management classes, and perhaps a timeout from the internet every couple of hours when you feel like you're on the verge of flipping out when someone points out an issue with one of your beloved software products.

Drexion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been using it for a couple hours now, the performance improvement is definitely noticeable, even on my quite decent gaming rig.
Reddit scrolls like ass in this, but everything else runs great
Opposite for me, no more hitching while on reddit. For example the infamous EA reddit post (link), used to hitch for maybe 0.2 of a second before opening/being responsive. Now it's as smooth as butter.
Not experiencing this, it works just the same as the old version, I open multiple tabs in the background using middle mouse button and they load fine in the background while I'm on the current page. The tab at the top even has a progress bar in the background showing the pages loading while it's in the background without ever needing to switch to it.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
dark494 Quixzlizx

As any of us have seen, sometimes software behaves in unexpected ways. I'm not saying he is right or wrong, but it sounds like he has a particular issue. Either help with the issue or don't, but just repeating yourself if he isn't seeing what you're seeing doesn't help the conversation.

My suggestion for you would be to attend a remedial reading class, as well as visit dictionary.com more often.

Also anger management classes, and perhaps a timeout from the internet every couple of hours when you feel like you're on the verge of flipping out when someone points out an issue with one of your beloved software products.

On your end, just calm down. Insulting others isn't gonna get you any closer to a fix.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Any good replacements for tab mix plus and download statusbar? I think those are all I'm really going to miss. I really want to customize my downloads bar.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how to get tabs on bottom working properly? I got it working for the most part by editing userChrome.css. But dragging tabs causes the whole navigation bar to jump vertically.

The Firefox devs must truly hate the feature. It's gone from default, to the options menu, to being hidden in about:config, to requiring an extension, and now you need to manually edit user css files.

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I'm missing is the ability to scroll through tabs using the mouse wheel when my cursor is hovering over the tab section. I used to use Tab Wheel Scroll but it doesn't look like it's going to be updated. Had a look and search through the available add-ons to see if someone else made something for it, but couldn't find anything.

Otherwise, all good here.
Same here man. I use MouseControl 2.0 which does tab wheel scrolling and also other mouse shortcuts and there currently isn't a replacement for this either. The dev said he does have plans to port it over but currently doesn't have the time. Hope it comes back soon.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I see with it is when you try to have it do a screenshot of the entire page you're viewing, it has a limit to how "tall" vertically of a page it can snapshot. Like, a full page thread here is too long for it to capture.
I imagine that restriction is in place to help them save bandwidth. They should probably let you locally save a full size version though.

Eclipse47

Oct 26, 2017
I think alot of these issues from new users is just exploring the whole interface and becoming familiar with it. So many options and tabs to look into.

But besides that, I'm loving the new Firefox.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Tab Mix plus, like many have already said, is the biggest casualty for me. Still waiting for hope since the dev has said he's working on an update but hearing that tab fuctionality has been gimped doesn't bode well. Mouse Gestures suite is the other one, but currently using Foxygestures which while not perfect works for what I need it to.

That being said, I do like how snappier it is. Old Firefox had that jank even on powerful hardware and glad that's mostly gone.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
With classic theme restorer dead, can we get back the old style search box behaviour?

That's what I'm missing the most to be honest. The new search behavior is so clunky, I hate that they're not giving us an alternative.

On a different note, I am having problems with the built-in themes. The Dark and Default themes have pieces missing, they are white - like the tab background and the tab scrolling piece. Also Default is not dark blue but light gray. I don't know what's causing it but I tried reinstalling, removing my profile, nothing seems to help. Same with Firefox Developer Edition. Any ideas?

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Which is the old style exactly? There are a couple style options in the options > search menu.

In the search bar you first select the search engine to be used for all future searches and then enter the search term or highlight the text you want to search for, right click it and then "search with [elected search engine]. The newer behavior was that you could not change the search engine, if you ahd multiple installed before and when you switched search engines for the next search it reverted back to the default.

And that quite frankly (aside from my presumption of a lack of a very compact theme with minimal space wasted to UI elements/tab padding/spacing aroudn the URL bar) is my reason not to upgrade.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a different note, I am having problems with the built-in themes. The Dark and Default themes have pieces missing, they are white - like the tab background and the tab scrolling piece. Also Default is not dark blue but light gray. I don't know what's causing it but I tried reinstalling, removing my profile, nothing seems to help. Same with Firefox Developer Edition. Any ideas?
What OS are you on? The top bar looks really bad on Windows 7, and apparently that's just how it is. On Windows 10 the entire top bar should change color based on theme. I don't know about other platforms.