• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I randomly checked About Firefox and got an update to 66.0.1, but the release notes haven't been posted yet. Have there been previous releases where the release notes weren't ready?

edit: oh it was a security fix, and probably something they wanted to release asap. Interesting.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So since today I can't use Gmail or What'sApp Web in Firefox anymore.

Gmail throws this error:

Code:
Corrupted Content Error

The site at https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

And What'sApp Web claims:

Code:
Computer not connected
Make sure your computer has an active Internet connection.

which both is nonsense, Thunderbird can still connect to Gmail and the What'sApp Win10 Desktop app works. Clearing the cache didn't help.

Is anyone having the same issue?

EDIT: I fixed it, I forgot I disabled IPv6 support in Firefox before when I tried to troubleshoot a server-connection ages ago, I reenabled it and everything works again!

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know if they've made changes to the spell-check?

If I screw up a word it seems to ignore it once I've started typing more, so basically I get to the end of a paragraph and the spelling problems are no longer underlined.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Since this is the Firefox OT, I figured this might be a good place to ask this. Starting today, I've noticed whenever I open Firefox, it prompts me for my master password, before going to my home page. Currently on FF 66.0.03, and after reinstalling and backing up my profile, I'm still seeing this. I'm also not using Sync, so I don't it has anything to do with that.

Not sure sure if anyone else has experienced this. Doing a Google search, it seems like people were having this issue a few years ago. I did notice this person on Reddit seems to have the same issue.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
I had to reset Firefox and now I have a little problem: when I open a YouTube video in a new tab, it doesn't automatically load.

Now some months ago Firefox used to prevent playback until you'd switch to the tab in question (fixable by changing media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground;false in about:config), but this is different: now I have to actually press the play button.

Any help?

Last edited:

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to reset Firefox and now I have a little problem: when I opena a YouTube video in a new tab, it doesn't automatically load.

Now some months ago Firefox used to prevent playback until you'd switch to the tab in question (fixable by changing media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground;false in about:config), but this is different: now I have to actually press the play button.

Any help?
Same thing with me since I last updated.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sejanoz cheers!

Any Mac users here? Long time FF user, but whenever I have the browser open for long period without fully quiting, the memory use goes way out of hand. This has been happening for years but I just persevered and would normally restart firefox or open Activity Monitor and close the multiple FirefoxCP Web Content activties. However, this never happpens to me in Chrome or Vivaldi. I think its been long enough and may start making a move to Vivaldi as my main browser. Anyone have any tips?

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Can anyone help me please?

Why does my extensions page look like this

883b4c99bd6c1b27913af207c49fac49.png

Instead of this

2fd4943a4bfd9787f93c81846d71d12f.png

The second picture is in safe mode.
In normal mode I can't see my extensions.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
I was still on 65.0.3 before the "armagadd-on" and updated to 66.0.3 today after fixing the add-ons issue.

Now I've noticed that I can't click/drag cells in Google Sheets - the mouse cursor doesn't change to a hand cursor like before. I only found a couple other reports of this problem (1, 2). Has anyone else experienced this? Disabling add-ons doesn't mitigate the issue.

edit - looks like I can click and drag cells by grabbing the highlighted borders, but alas there's no hand icon.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to give Firefox another try and the only thing I'm really missing from Chrome right now is the ability to have Tweetdeck running in a standalone window which is a must for me... Anybody knows of a way to do something like that with Firefox?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Firefox 67.0 is now out.

Release notes: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/67.0/releasenotes/

This looks to be one of the more significant releases in a while. Notably WebRender is finally stable and is starting to roll out.

Thanks for the heads-up, I had to force enable WebRenderer even though I'm on Windows 10 with a GTX 1070 but that's presumably because I deny Firefox to detect that I run on Windows 10. It might be placebo but FF seems insanely fast and smooth now, not that it wasn't before but this feels even better so far.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I have Windows 10 and a GTX 1070. WebRender should be enabled, but how can I check for sure that it is?
To turn on WebRender, go to about:config, enable the gfx.webrender.all pref, and restart the browser. Note: doing so may cause pages to render incorrectly, your browser to crash, or other problems. Proceed with caution!

So check if the flag is set to true, and if not, double-click to make it so. :)

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
Thanks for the heads-up, I had to force enable WebRenderer even though I'm on Windows 10 with a GTX 1070 but that's presumably because I deny Firefox to detect that I run on Windows 10. It might be placebo but FF seems insanely fast and smooth now, not that it wasn't before but this feels even better so far.

There were other performance optimizations aside from WebRender in 67.0 as well.

I have Windows 10 and a GTX 1070. WebRender should be enabled, but how can I check for sure that it is?

WebRender is going to be enabled in waves starting next week. From the graphics team blog post:
The go-live date for Firefox 67 is Tuesday, May 21st at 6am PST. WebRender will ship disabled by default. On May 27th, 25% of the qualified population will have WebRender enabled. We will then increase that rollout to 50% by Thursday, May 30th – assuming that everything is going smoothly. WebRender will then be enabled for 100% of the qualified population by the following week.

As already mentioned if you want to enable it right now you can set gfx.webrender.all to true in about:config.

Windows 10 users with an Nvidia graphic card represent only 4% of Firefox users? Who the fuck is the majority? o.O

https://data.firefox.com/dashboard/hardware

The majority of users have integrated Intel graphics.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
There were other performance optimizations aside from WebRender in 67.0 as well.

WebRender is going to be enabled in waves starting next week. From the graphics team blog post:

As already mentioned if you want to enable it right now you can set gfx.webrender.all to true in about:config.

https://data.firefox.com/dashboard/hardware

The majority of users have integrated Intel graphics.

Nice to know thanks! I was very skeptic when I heard of Firefox Quantum and them rebooting the addon system but it's been nothing short of amazing so far.

Dufus

Nov 15, 2017
WebRender is disabled by default even if you're on Windows 10+Nvidia (qualified population). It will slowly get enabled because it might still cause problems.

WebRender will ship disabled by default. On May 27th, 25% of the qualified population will have WebRender enabled. We will then increase that rollout to 50% by Thursday, May 30th – assuming that everything is going smoothly. WebRender will then be enabled for 100% of the qualified population by the following week.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Windows 10 users with an Nvidia graphic card represent only 4% of Firefox users? Who the fuck is the majority? o.O
Probably Intel. I think Firefox tends to run on the low performance GPU by default in dual GPU setups (such as basically all laptops with discrete GPUs), so that's probably skewing the numbers a fair bit.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep its laptop users and even those with discrete GPU's mainly using integrated for most low powered tasks.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want Firefox to do well. I want browser engine diversity. However, Firefox is not that good on mac and android. My two platforms of choice. After years, I've had enough and I've been pushed to other browsers.

However, are they are any other gecko/firefox based Mac browsers?

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I really want Firefox to do well. I want browser engine diversity. However, Firefox is not that good on mac and android. My two platforms of choice. After years, I've had enough and I've been pushed to other browsers.

Firefox is great on my Macbook Pro 2015 (running Mojave). The performance is actually a bit better than Safari for me. A little bit more fluid and responsive. I migrated from Safari to Firefox when Safari changed its extension framework, thus losing some addons I couldn't live without. After configuring Firefox to my liking, I found I should have migrated way earlier.

I'm not aware of any other Gecko/Firefox based browser available for Mac, but what is it that doesn't work right with regular Firefox on your Mac?

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Firefox is great on my Macbook Pro 2015 (running Mojave). The performance is actually a bit better than Safari for me. A little bit more fluid and responsive. I migrated from Safari to Firefox when Safari changed its extension framework, thus losing some addons I couldn't live without. After configuring Firefox to my liking, I found I should have migrated way earlier.

I'm not aware of any other Gecko/Firefox based browser available for Mac, but what is it that doesn't work right with regular Firefox on your Mac?
I'm running a 2012 mac book pro. Many issue has been memory leak. Battery use was not great too. This was even after I reformatted my macbook 2 months ago. Firefox would start using up loads of my ram and really heating up the macbook causing the fans into over drive. And to wasn't like I was doing anything resource intensive with my tabs. Only fix would be restarting Firefox, but eventually the memory usage would increase.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Just moved to Firefox full time after Google is about to restrict adblockers to Enterprise users only. Man, how Firefox ran quietly on my laptop compared to Chrome astonished me so much.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm running a 2012 mac book pro. Many issue has been memory leak. Battery use was not great too. This was even after I reformatted my macbook 2 months ago. Firefox would start using up loads of my ram and really heating up the macbook causing the fans into over drive. And to wasn't like I was doing anything resource intensive with my tabs. Only fix would be restarting Firefox, but eventually the memory usage would increase.

Oh, that sounds really bad. I have not personally seen any of those problems. Maybe newer builds helped with some of those issues?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
2 questions:

what should I do so my favorite sites actually have their icons in the bookmark bar? Some websites won't load the icon and it sucks (I only leave the icons and nothing written in my bookmark bar). Some sites that I have problem with: 1 2 3

is firefox worse than chrome to decode videos? tried to watch a 4k@60 video now on youtube (and yesterday a 4k@30) and it was BAD. Stuttering, freezing, lagging behind, artifacts and all. I dont remember having problems in Chrome (for sure no with 4k30 at least, dont remember if I ever watched anything 4k60 there). I have an i7-8550U that should be enough to run this kind of video, right?

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017

I don't have a Mac but as far as Android goes you might want to try their new Fenix browser. Apparently it's supposed to be available in the Play Store sometime in the near future but I'm not sure exactly what the details regarding that are.

2 questions:

what should I do so my favorite sites actually have their icons in the bookmark bar? Some websites won't load the icon and it sucks (I only leave the icons and nothing written in my bookmark bar). Some sites that I have problem with: 1 2 3

Those sites don't appear to have favicons as far as I can tell. I tried loading them in multiple browsers and nothing shows up in any of them.

is firefox worse than chrome to decode videos? tried to watch a 4k@60 video now on youtube (and yesterday a 4k@30) and it was BAD. Stuttering, freezing, lagging behind, artifacts and all. I dont remember having problems in Chrome (for sure no with 4k30 at least, dont remember if I ever watched anything 4k60 there). I have an i7-8550U that should be enough to run this kind of video, right?

What OS are you using? If you are using Linux it's possible that you might have hardware acceleration disabled which can cause performance issues with video playback.

Oct 25, 2017
RE: Fenix/Firefox Preview - You can opt in to development builds and get fresh updates from the Play Store now. Takes a few steps, but if you're really curious or want to help test and break things then give it a try!

It's come a long way from the early days. Still missing webextension support but it does have some built in content/tracker blocking. Solved a lot of the problems that Firefox Android had and should be a great foundation to build upon since it's designed with modular development in mind.

kinda wish they'd bring the pastel colors for tab labels back though... the new colors are kinda ugly

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
RE: Fenix/Firefox Preview - You can opt in to development builds and get fresh updates from the Play Store now. Takes a few steps, but if you're really curious or want to help test and break things then give it a try!

It's come a long way from the early days. Still missing webextension support but it does have some built in content/tracker blocking. Solved a lot of the problems that Firefox Android had and should be a great foundation to build upon since it's designed with modular development in mind.

kinda wish they'd bring the pastel colors for tab labels back though... the new colors are kinda ugly

What exactly are the main differences between Firefox and Fenix on Android?

Oct 25, 2017

Fenix is rebuilt from the ground up with modern practices in mind, while the current Firefox has a lot of antiquated code. Firefox Android as it stands is more or less a 'port' of the full version of Firefox, while Fenix's technologies are built with the idea of being on phone hardware from day 1. Firefox Android performance was falling behind Chrome by quite a bit, and Fenix keeps pace with Chrome almost completely now. They've also switched to bottom-screen navigation, so you can tap reload or the URL bar without needing to move your hand on medium-to-large devices. Other than that, the goal is to just make it "Firefox, but with the speed people expect of a modern browser" and I'd say they've delivered already. AFAIK, webrender is not enabled by default yet either, so it has the potential to get better later on as well!

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Fenix is basically a from scratch rewrite of the Android port of Firefox. Eventually (once it reaches feature parity) it will replace the current Firefox Android port (codenamed Fennec). Fennec has basically been in maintenance mode for a while, with most of the new development work focused on Fenix.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Fenix is rebuilt from the ground up with modern practices in mind, while the current Firefox has a lot of antiquated code. Firefox Android as it stands is more or less a 'port' of the full version of Firefox, while Fenix's technologies are built with the idea of being on phone hardware from day 1. Firefox Android performance was falling behind Chrome by quite a bit, and Fenix keeps pace with Chrome almost completely now. They've also switched to bottom-screen navigation, so you can tap reload or the URL bar without needing to move your hand on medium-to-large devices. Other than that, the goal is to just make it "Firefox, but with the speed people expect of a modern browser" and I'd say they've delivered already. AFAIK, webrender is not enabled by default yet either, so it has the potential to get better later on as well!
Fenix is basically a from scratch rewrite of the Android port of Firefox. Eventually (once it reaches feature parity) it will replace the current Firefox Android port (codenamed Fennec). Fennec has basically been in maintenance mode for a whilewith most of the new development work focused on Fenix.

Oh I see that's interesting! As soon as addon support lands I'll probably switch over already as far as Android goes.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can I wish for Firefox to have an options menu as detailed and composed as Vivaldi's? It's what I want.

enemy2k

Oct 29, 2017

Thanks! Gonna test this out.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I hope this Fenix project is a lot faster than Firefox, man this thing is slow, specially on Era. Chrome was lightining fast, click a link and it opens... Now it literally takes 3-5 seconds to do that (to start loading the next page). Not to say I couldn't post pictures and the page scrolls up and down like crazy while I try to write a bigger than a paragraph poat on mobile.

Im on Android Q beta so maybe it can be that.