• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an extension that allows me to control how pages are opened in Quantum? Like anything in the andress/history/bookmarks open in a new tab? Since Tab mix seems dead and I want to upgrade

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an extension that allows me to control how pages are opened in Quantum? Like anything in the andress/history/bookmarks open in a new tab? Since Tab mix seems dead and I want to upgrade

Middleclick (or Ctrl+click) opens in a new tab. Works everywhere including the address bar and the Home Page button and Refresh button.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Had to rebuild my bookmarks by hand because of some sort of corruption yesterday. Tedious.

Always seems to happen on a day when I'm making loads of changes, though that shouldn't be surprising I guess.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Had to rebuild my bookmarks by hand because of some sort of corruption yesterday. Tedious.

Always seems to happen on a day when I'm making loads of changes, though that shouldn't be surprising I guess.
IIRC Firefox automatically backs up bookmarks. Type "about:support" in the address bar, click the button to open the Profile Folder, and check the bookmarkbackups folder.
If you had to rebuild your profile, move up a folder and see if there's another profile folder with backups.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So, how is the general experience?
I've been thinking about migrating from Chrome, but I'm so used to it by now and using and android device doesn't make it easier, but I'm tempeted.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yeah I'm not a fan of Firefox's performance on Android. Instead I use Naked Browser, a 120KB browser that uses Android's built in webview for rendering web pages.
The dev of that browser is a bit questionable. He removed the app from a whole country (Spain) because one Spanish guy left a 4-star review.
iU2rWg.png

I just tried to download it and I couldn't because of this. I checked the reviews out of curiosity and found this gem. Imagine being that petty

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if it was something in the last update. But suddenly firefox takes forever to connect to a site for the first time each session.

After that, it's fine... but that first connection is taking 5 to XX seconds.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since the new update, closing tabs/browser seems to take a second longer for me.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
The dev of that browser is a bit questionable. He removed the app from a whole country (Spain) because one Spanish guy left a 4-star review.
iU2rWg.png

I just tried to download it and I couldn't because of this. I checked the reviews out of curiosity and found this gem. Imagine being that petty
The bookmarks he choose for the browser gave me that vibe.
yeah I can't deny this aspect about the dev (check out the rest of his review replies), but it's still the best browser available on Android imo. Though I didn't expect him to go as far as to block the browser from an entire country.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am using Firefox since the beginning of the year again, mainly to use NoScript, but many, it is an absolute RAM hog. It often eats like 2.5GB of RAM while browsing YouTube. That is over a fourth of my whole RAM... I really wish it was a bit faster, more responsive. But well, that is the price to pay for security, I guess.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Currently I still use Chrome on desktop mainly because Firefox doesn't support having two dictionaries active at the same time. I switch between writing in Spanish and English so SO frequently that the idea of manually having to switch the dictionary each time makes my head hurt. When they implement this, I may switch.

On Android I do use Firefox because I can have uBlock Origin. I just can't handle ads on mobile, ugh, all these sites in where after each paragraph there's an ad that takes twice as much time to scroll through than said paragraph, the whole page jumping because the ads load late, I just can't. On Android I don't have the spellcheck problem because it's handled by the keyboard but I do miss a feature from Chrome mobile: Being able to automatically open certain links on an external app. For example Reddit and YouTube links. Sure, you can hold the link and choose to open it there manually, but that's annoying, and sometimes it isn't possible because of redirects. For example, you can't do this in a Google result that is a Reddit link, because the URL doesn't point to Reddit, it redirects you later, so you're stuck opening it in the browser. I really really want them to handle this just like Chrome does. For now I installed this app but having to do the sharing stuff is annoying too.

Brave ALMOST is the best of both worlds, but it isn't, because the adblocking is lame: it doesn't have cosmetic filters, meaning that you end up with an empty space in where ads would be, negating the whole point, I still have to scroll as if the annoying ad was there when reading articles and such.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently I still use Chrome on desktop mainly because Firefox doesn't support having two dictionaries active at the same time. I switch between writing in Spanish and English so SO frequently that the idea of manually having to switch the dictionary each time makes my head hurt. When they implement this, I may switch.

On Android I do use Firefox because I can have uBlock Origin. I just can't handle ads on mobile, ugh, all these sites in where after each paragraph there's an ad that takes twice as much time to scroll through than said paragraph, the whole page jumping because the ads load late, I just can't. On Android I don't have the spellcheck problem because it's handled by the keyboard but I do miss a feature from Chrome mobile: Being able to automatically open certain links on an external app. For example Reddit and YouTube links. Sure, you can hold the link and choose to open it there manually, but that's annoying, and sometimes it isn't possible because of redirects. For example, you can't do this in a Google result that is a Reddit link, because the URL doesn't point to Reddit, it redirects you later, so you're stuck opening it in the browser. I really really want them to handle this just like Chrome does. For now I installed this app but having to do the sharing stuff is annoying too.

Brave ALMOST is the best of both worlds, but it isn't, because the adblocking is lame: it doesn't have cosmetic filters, meaning that you end up with an empty space in where ads would be, negating the whole point, I still have to scroll as if the annoying ad was there when reading articles and such.
Or just download Adaway and block ads everywhere on Android.

Including apps.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I can't see embedded tweets anymore. I couldn't load them a couple of days ago, and now they don't even appear. And before anyone asks, yes, I do have tracking protection turned off for non-private windows. Anyone else getting this?

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I can't see embedded tweets anymore. I couldn't load them a couple of days ago, and now they don't even appear. And before anyone asks, yes, I do have tracking protection turned off for non-private windows. Anyone else getting this?
Ublock or any other adblocker? EasyPrivacy filter list recently updated with a rule that messes with embedding

This is what I currently use to get around it
Code:
@@||s9e.github.io/iframe/*$subdocument,domain=www.resetera.com

Oct 26, 2017
Yo Firefox. I'm back.

Hulu was stuttering in Chrome for no reason. I downloaded Firefox and now I'm golden. I'm switching all my computers to Firefox now.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Ublock or any other adblocker? EasyPrivacy filter list recently updated with a rule that messes with embedding

This is what I currently use to get around it
Code:
@@||s9e.github.io/iframe/*$subdocument,domain=www.resetera.com
Thanks, but now, how do I apply that new rule? The filter won't allow me to edit it. uBlock Origin, btw.

EDIT: It's okay, I found a way to unblock the element locally. Anyone else who's having this problem, go here for instructions - https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/support-ublock-origin/6746/2

Last edited:

fivestarman

Oct 28, 2017

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an app that allows for stacking tabs yet?

I dislike scrolling through tabs like this.

There are many ways to do this. You can for example copy-paste one of the following codes in your userChrome.css file:

https://www.userchrome.org/samples/userChrome-multi_row_tabs.css
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/blob/master/classic/css/tabs/tabs_multiple_lines.css
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/blob/master/classic/css/tabs/tabs_multiple_lines_v2.css

Serenity

Mar 3, 2018

Thank you, but I'm a little lost at this direction. Would you mind walking me through how to do this?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, but I'm a little lost at this direction. Would you mind walking me through how to do this?

Sure, sorry about the lack of direction!

Firefox allows users to fully customize the appearance of the browser's interface. This is done by putting custom CSS in the user's profile folder.

- Type about:support in the URL bar. This opens a special page.
- In that special page, click the "Open Folder" button next to "Profile Folder".
- In your profile folder, create a folder named "Chrome".
- In the "Chrome" folder, create a text file called "userChrome.css".
- Copy the content of one of the above three files and paste it inside "userChrome.css".
- Restart Firefox.

Serenity

Mar 3, 2018
Sure, sorry about the lack of direction!

Firefox allows users to fully customize the appearance of the browser's interface. This is done by putting custom CSS in the user's profile folder.

- Type about:support in the URL bar. This opens a special page.
- In that special page, click the "Open Folder" button next to "Profile Folder".
- In your profile folder, create a folder named "Chrome".
- In the "Chrome" folder, create a text file called "userChrome.css".
- Copy the content of one of the above three files and paste it inside "userChrome.css".
- Restart Firefox.

Thank you so much!

Using this one (With the scroll bar), and it's just what I was looking for.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Top web browsers 2018: Firefox's share slips post-Quantum

Mozilla's radical overhaul of its financial cornerstone, Firefox, has so far failed in its primary mission, to stop the slide in browser share, new data published Sunday showed.

According to new numbers from California-based analytics vendor Net Applications, Firefox lost six-tenths of a percentage point of user share in March. That was the largest decline in almost two years, excepting November 2017, when Net Applications revamped its tallies by eliminating fraudulent bot traffic from its data.

Firefox's user share — an estimate of the portion of the world's personal computer owners who ran the browser in a given period — for March was 10.3%, the lowest since a near-death experience in the summer of 2016, when it plunged to below 8%. At one point — April 2010, to be specific — Firefox accounted for more than a quarter of the globe's browser share.

Oct 25, 2017

Can't say I'm too surprised. Extensions are a big deal for firefox fans, and Mozilla hasn't been able to develop APIs in time to restore lost functionality for some users. The desktop browser is coming along somewhat nicely, and Webrender is going to be a pretty big deal when it is stable enough to hit live at the end of the year, but right now the stable branch isn't impressing enough to draw users away from Chrome. On a more personal level of frustration - after talking up 2018 being a 'big year' for Firefox for Android, their projections for the year show that only Firefox Focus is having work done, and those developments may not even make it into the main browser, which is just... crazy?? I've moved back to Brave browser on mobile, and the difference between Brave and Android Nightly is massive. I'm disappointed that they seem to be playing it too safe with that sector of the market when it's one of the places I feel they should be more aggressive with as far as development resources go.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Thanks for the Multi-Account cotnainer suggestion, works great so far, even if the "first time setup" is a bit cumbersome.
I am still missing some kind of "lock facebook with master password" thing. I know there is an older addon that expands the integrated function a bit, but it's still not what I want. Basically I want to completely lock it down, so that only a master password, or PIN, lets you use Firefox. Maybe I need to look for 3rd-party Windows software, but would prefer an integrated solution obviously.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the Multi-Account cotnainer suggestion, works great so far, even if the "first time setup" is a bit cumbersome.
I am still missing some kind of "lock facebook with master password" thing. I know there is an older addon that expands the integrated function a bit, but it's still not what I want. Basically I want to completely lock it down, so that only a master password, or PIN, lets you use Firefox. Maybe I need to look for 3rd-party Windows software, but would prefer an integrated solution obviously.
log out of Facebook?
no wait you're referring to some kind of parental control, nvm.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Can't say I'm too surprised. Extensions are a big deal for firefox fans, and Mozilla hasn't been able to develop APIs in time to restore lost functionality for some users. The desktop browser is coming along somewhat nicely, and Webrender is going to be a pretty big deal when it is stable enough to hit live at the end of the year, but right now the stable branch isn't impressing enough to draw users away from Chrome.

That's basically my issue. There are a few extensions I lost since Quantum and the authors are either unable to or unwilling to update and the alternatives just don't work well enough with what I need them for and a few more extensions just became buggy. I still stuck with Firefox since that's what I'm used to and got all my customized bookmarks with it, but a snafu with a profile erased basically everything I did with Firefox yesterday so I finally decided to start with fresh Chrome.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Firefox mobile just can't compete with chrome and it is why I've ditched FF on the PC. I like the sync function and find it useful having my desktop and mobile browsers the same.

They need to work on their mobile version.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I don't think any xmarks user is even vaguely surprised by that. Wankers.

Hopefully that means someone else will work on a replacement.
Nope. Gave up on them months ago. Their product became trash, they did nothing to improve it or fix bugs. Screw it.

Guess i'm just using Firefox sync exclusively now. I'll manually port stuff over to Chrome once in a while to sync it up, all of the cross-browser automatic sync solutions i've tried are glitchy as hell and result in either data loss or duplicates. Not worth the effort anymore.

I've pretty much entirely left Chrome in favor of the new Firefox anyhow, so keeping them both perfectly synced isn't even a big deal.

I also haven't had the sluggish/freezing problems some here are reporting, and I use Firefox across two computers many hours a day.